Putting your life on hold

tracy123

Just wondering how many people have put their life on hold waiting to head to Australia or return back to England or do you not really care and continue as normal?

Without going into to much detail we have known Australia was always going to be on the cards so we never worried about buying a house or fitting it out with the best furniture etc so we have saved, and managed, and made do. It's hard because we both want things but shrug our shoulders and think whats the point, I think I'm the only person in this country left with a tube television LOL But once again is it worth buying only to find out that it dosen't work in Australia?

Anyway I would be interested to hear other peoples mind set.

Geoffrey

Guest Working to fish
Just wondering how many people have put their life on hold waiting to head to Australia or return back to England or do you not really care and continue as normal?

Without going into to much detail we have known Australia was always going to be on the cards so we never worried about buying a house or fitting it out with the best furniture etc so we have saved, and managed, and made do. It's hard because we both want things but shrug our shoulders and think whats the point, I think I'm the only person in this country left with a tube television LOL But once again is it worth buying only to find out that it dosen't work in Australia?

Geoffrey

Um its been said ,Your tv will work in oz :yes::wink:

Not an old tube thing tho (i think).

Um its been said ,Your tv will work in oz :yes::wink:

Not an old tube thing tho (i think).

I know it will turn on, but it has to do with the sound dosen't it? it's also the cost a £1000 for the tv then the shipping + fees etc, when I could buy a new one in Australia with warranty etc for around the same price

Guest sunnyday

Geoffrey

Well we had our house up for sale about a year before we decided to go for Oz and it didn't sell so as I was heavily pregnant and about to have a new born I didn't want to be showing viewers around and doing all that excessive cleaning:swoon:. When baby was a few months old we decided to put it back on the market before that stupid HIP pack ran out and it sold after a couple of months so as we had started the Oz process we decided to rent.

The plan was if we get visa jobs a great one, we're good to go and if not buy a house!! My son has medical issues so I gave us about a 50:50 chance to get in. I found it quite difficult with the renting and waiting to see if we'd get the visa. I felt a bit in no mans land because as much as we had researched before we decided to go for the visa, I didn't want to fully invest myself into going to Oz in case we got knocked

back and I'd be devastated.

Anyway we have been lucky and got the visa quickly so I now feel really relieved and happy that we can plan knowing that we are actually going!!! My life is no longer on hold, Good times:biggrin:

Guest Working to fish
I know it will turn on, but it has to do with the sound dosen't it? it's also the cost a £1000 for the tv then the shipping + fees etc, when I could buy a new one in Australia with warranty etc for around the same price

No brain er mate ,she,ll be alright.

Cheaper in oz.

Hi,

no you are not the only one with a 'tube' tv, we have been 'making do' for 2 years now, thinking, well its not coming to Oz when we go so why bother? Hubbie has hated his job for 2 years, wanted to do teaching but we knew he would have to commit to 2 yrs in UK and we thought we'd be outta here last summer, but still waiting...waiting....waiting. We wanted to start a family....but how long we will have to wait for that? who knows? i am turning 31 in april and wanted to be planning for a baby by now, the 2 yrs have dragged by but also flown by at the same time. Didnt want to be getting there and having a baby straight away i wanted to enjoy our new life, just the 2 of us, before things got hectic with kids. We've had family toasting to our hopes of success for the past 2 christmas's, its getting old!

We're living in an area we dont really like, with noisy neighbours who make our daily lives hell, i drive 2 hours a day to get to work and back, we've gone without a holiday for 2 years to save, our house has dropped 17%, and we still need to do some work to it to sell it.....the list goes on.

i hope your situation improves soon,

best wishes

Guest sunnyday
Hi,

no you are not the only one with a 'tube' tv, we have been 'making do' for 2 years now, thinking, well its not coming to Oz when we go so why bother? Hubbie has hated his job for 2 years, wanted to do teaching but we knew he would have to commit to 2 yrs in UK and we thought we'd be outta here last summer, but still waiting...waiting....waiting. We wanted to start a family....but how long we will have to wait for that? who knows? i am turning 31 in april and wanted to be planning for a baby by now, the 2 yrs have dragged by but also flown by at the same time. Didnt want to be getting there and having a baby straight away i wanted to enjoy our new life, just the 2 of us, before things got hectic with kids. We've had family toasting to our hopes of success for the past 2 christmas's, its getting old!

We're living in an area we dont really like, with noisy neighbours who make our daily lives hell, i drive 2 hours a day to get to work and back, we've gone without a holiday for 2 years to save, our house has dropped 17%, and we still need to do some work to it to sell it.....the list goes on.

i hope your situation improves soon,

best wishes

Sounds like you're having a nightmare!!!!! I've been so lucky. Chin up, I really hope it works out for you soon:hug:

Guest shawgorbys

omg reading this post sounds so much like us the only good thing is my hubby still has a job offer in perth but we think now that hes over 45 and all our paperwork and meds have expired and not sold the house that we dont think well ever get there now so maybe have to look into going to New Zealand ohhhh i dont know any more you all take care and good luck with your dreamss Andrea&family xx

A mixture of the two for us Geoff as we carried on working and trying to have life as normal in case we didn't get a visa. The hardest part was that people knew we'd applied and kept asking where we were upto and we kept saying just waiting ... towards the end it was difficult to not let it interfere with things. Hubby took voluntary redundancy and then it was a mixture of excitement and dread ...

Guest Jules2

Hi Geoffrey

Like you we've been living in limbo for over 2 years now. We've only bought stuff that we know we can take, and then only essentials. And up until Christmas Eve had the old style tv as well... but the tube went on us so had to get a new one! Got a great deal on Boxing Day!!

Every Boxing Day we have the whole family over (about 30 with all the kids) and every year for the last 3 now we've said this'll be the last all together... cutie, you're right it does get old!!

I remember for the first winter, I even refused to buy anymore new jumpers or a new coat with the thinking I won't need them in Oz!! Have since changed that view from what I've read on PIO, or is that just my justification for buying new clothes!! LOL!!

Good luck everyone and let's hope we can all start really living soon!!!

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffery

Well our mind set is ( we are moving back to the UK) is we will go when DH gets a job with the company he works for in Oz in the Uk but we dont know if that will happen we have lots of converstions about going no jobs but that scares me as we are pretty well set up here...we originally said no transfer we go home June no job regardless however the way things are we are changing this goal post and going to asses it within the next few months. We do not hate Australia so we will spend what time we have left here enjoying it and our kids are still not school age it is not going to effect education etc ..We would go back tomorrow if he got the job offer but if he doesnt so be it and we will take each months as it comes..we know we are going home just not when yet and we are not going to put our lives on hold just enjoy what we have now knowing that we will eventually go back to the UK.

So whats your plans when do you think you will be heading back to Australia...forgive me if you have already said when and I have missed it.:biggrin:

Hi Geoffery

Well our mind set is ( we are moving back to the UK) is we will go when DH gets a job with the company he works for in Oz in the Uk but we dont know if that will happen we have lots of converstions about going no jobs but that scares me as we are pretty well set up here...we originally said no transfer we go home June no job regardless however the way things are we are changing this goal post and going to asses it within the next few months. We do not hate Australia so we will spend what time we have left here enjoying it and our kids are still not school age it is not going to effect education etc ..We would go back tomorrow if he got the job offer but if he doesnt so be it and we will take each months as it comes..we know we are going home just not when yet and we are not going to put our lives on hold just enjoy what we have now knowing that we will eventually go back to the UK.

So whats your plans when do you think you will be heading back to Australia...forgive me if you have already said when and I have missed it.:biggrin:

Hopefully we will leave on the 28th of December, We will know one way or another by July (when we go to court and find out if we can Jake with us) If we can't go, we'll find an area we both like buy a house and put down roots, if we can go it will be full steam ahead getting a visa for Tracy medicals etc. As you well know you feel like you are treading water.

Good luck on the job front

Hopefully we will leave on the 28th of December, We will know one way or another by July (when we go to court and find out if we can Jake with us) So our life is on hold one way or another, If we can't go well, we'll find an area we both like buy a house and put down roots, if we can go it will be full steam ahead getting a visa for Tracy medicals etc. As you well know you feel like you are treading water.

Good luck I hope all goes well with the court case, and you can come home to Australia...so you will go to Melbourne? We are hoping to go back to North West....looking at houses in Walton Le Dale...which is not far from Blackburn. DH has another interview soon so fingers crossed he gets that if not then back to the drawing board again. So hard trying to get a job in the UK applying from Oz where it seems doing it the other way is alot easier...heaps of people get transferred from the UK to Oz with his company all expenses paid reloaction costs etc...I guess lots more competition for jobs over there.

nice to know others are in the same boat!

We have been married for 4 1/2 yrs plan was always to move so never bought a place (near enough impossible for a decent place) so rented and saved bought essentials (so still have the old tv) but looking forward to moving and put our roots down in Aus (still not sure where though)!

I think like most, we too feel that our lives have been put on hold throughout this process. Things crop up that we need or want, and we find ourselves saying 'well there is not point yet, we are going to Oz'.

But last autumn (before we had the visas) we had to make a decision about secondary schools for our daughter. She is due to start September 2010 and had to decide whether or not to put her foward for entrance exams or just fall back on the local comp. We/she decided that if we were still here that she wanted to try out for the best schools possible. She sat all the entrance exams that were available to her (even though at the time we knew we could be wasting our time).

She got her school offer yesterday. She got into her first choice which she managed to secure through 1 of 4 places for her aptitude in Art! We are really pleased that we made this decision as we are now being held up by us not being able to sell the house. We are still aiming not to be here come September but if we are, at least she will be happy in the school, even if she does end up having to change schools again when we move to Oz, which ideally we wanted to avoid.

I think for the most part you have to try and live your life as if you are going to stay here (at least for the near future) you never know what is around the next corner and how long the process will take.

Melanie x

Guest VickyMel

We also never bought a place as we have been potentially aiming at emigrating for probably 5 years now. We are living in a small flat - no room to buy much else and it was never worth moving somewhere bigger as we might be moving "soon". Just extended the lease another 6 months.

OH is better at it than me as he took promotion at work and carries on as if it will happen when it happens and he should carry on as if it won't until then.

Whereas I have refused a couple of jobs (regret it a bit now) now as I might be leaving soon and didn't want to let them down. One of those was 2 years ago now.

Also put off a couple of purchase - including an expresso machine "no room in the kitchen we will get it when we get to Oz" that also has been going on several years now - all those cappacinos I have missed.

We also have the old TV - but luckily we got a new matress for the bed a couple of years ago.

So also treading water and very frustrated wanting to get on with the rest of my life.

Drives me crazy sometimes - its good to be on PIO and see others in a similar place - it gives me hope when I see others who have got there who have had a much harder time than me.

Good luck with the court case Geoffrey I hope it goes well.

VickyMel

I've moved around a few times in the last decade so I can really relate to feeling in limbo, renting, not wanting to make big purchases, sign up for contracts (mobile, vdvd club etc) and so on.

One of the things I do to turn is on it's head and make a list of all the things I DO want to do before I leave, it's good to travel your home country even if only on day trips, plus there are things you might want to do in preparation like your scuba cert or boat license for example.

The first time I moved overseas I remember meeting new friends who had holidayed in the UK and suddenly realising that I'd never seen stone henge, boated on the norfolk broads, visited one of Gordon ramsays restaurants etc. - It's good when you finally do leave the Uk to have a sense of completion and being 'done' :)

Guest GMERIN53

We are in the early stages of the process and will hopefully be applying for a visa at the beginning of April. :smile:

Its life as usual for us, No point in worrying about things until there is a problem !

Possibly no main Holiday this year and try to save some money for the trip to OZ once the visa has been issued.

We are not even thinking about the Visa application process, The Move across the world, Leaving our Family & Friends, Moving the Children, Handing our notice In, The House Sale, Transferring Pensions, Finances, Shipping, Jobs in OZ, Housing, Which area to live In, The exchange Rate, Changes in the DIAC, Failing the IELTS or anything else that could cause undue stress and anxiety ! :wacko:

As for TV's our Tube TV went on the Blink so we bought a new Sony in November - I dont think it is fully OZ compatible but we might bring it and use it for Movies or Nintendo !

We are not planning on not watching much TV anyway - more important stuff to do like getting out and about in the lovely weather in Melbourne

Cant Wait - :jiggy:Woooohooooo

Yes,everything on hold,not because of visa,we have had that since june 08 fortunately.

I could do with a newer 4by4,but why bother?she could do with a newer car,but again?

Telly,yes i gave in and got a big mad fangled one,but its for the footy,its the law,but i will just give it to whoever buys the house,or family,and £500 wont make or break us in oz.

Were leaving everything anyway,hse is built in robes and what have yer,so no real big things worth taking,suite?bed?p.c?nah,not worth shipping,new start new stuff,cant be doing with hassle of shipping,and by the time i pay shipping costs could buy new in oz.

Fixed mortgage ran out last yr,but whats the minimum new mortgage,1 or 2 yrs?no point.

So once the issue that is stopping us going is resolved,i will put hse back on the market,and we'l have another go at getting there:wub:,exchange rate is worrying me tho,but "pretty certain"still going:wink:(barring anymore disasters,touchwood!)

We are in the early stages of the process and will hopefully be applying for a visa at the beginning of April. :smile:

Its life as usual for us, No point in worrying about things until there is a problem !

Possibly no main Holiday this year and try to save some money for the trip to OZ once the visa has been issued.

We are not even thinking about the Visa application process, The Move across the world, Leaving our Family & Friends, Moving the Children, Handing our notice In, The House Sale, Transferring Pensions, Finances, Shipping, Jobs in OZ, Housing, Which area to live In, The exchange Rate, Changes in the DIAC, Failing the IELTS or anything else that could cause undue stress and anxiety ! :wacko:

As for TV's our Tube TV went on the Blink so we bought a new Sony in November - I dont think it is fully OZ compatible but we might bring it and use it for Movies or Nintendo !

We are not planning on not watching much TV anyway - more important stuff to do like getting out and about in the lovely weather in Melbourne

Cant Wait - :jiggy:Woooohooooo

Hi, we are in the early stages too. Decided a year ago that we would make the move after spending 6 weeks in Oz over Dec 08 / Jan 09.

We have just put in for SS and our visa app going in soon too. We will have a house to sell but I think we are planning on taking most of our furniture and stuff. We want another baby so we are not putting that on hold as I am getting too old, hopefully another baby will arrive before Visa is issued. We have stopped buying things tho unless we really need them. Could do with a bigger car but am just about managing to fit in baby, baby seat, pram, change bag, shopping, etc into a 3 door car.

Claire

Good lord, life is too short to be living in limbo - you could get run over by a train tomorrow and then where would you be. It certainly sounds as if some folk on here have a life obsessed by moving across the world in search of what???? and never bother to live their lives to the full where they are because they are always wondering how much better it will be if only ..... (sounds like my rationale for dieting LOL)

I certainly dont like where I live but that doesnt stop me doing anything and everything to have as fulfilled a life as I possibly can then when I get home for holidays I can still have a brilliant time. If I were to live in limbo about getting home then for sure and certain I would die in limbo and that would be a horrible waste of time and energy!

Guest sunnyday
Hopefully we will leave on the 28th of December, We will know one way or another by July (when we go to court and find out if we can Jake with us) If we can't go, we'll find an area we both like buy a house and put down roots, if we can go it will be full steam ahead getting a visa for Tracy medicals etc. As you well know you feel like you are treading water.

Good luck with everything Geoff, hope it works out the way you want :hug:

We have pretty much put our lives on hold, we applied for our visas on 01/01/09 after going through the vetasses and all that stuff only to be taken off csl like lots of others and now probably having to wait until 2012 at the earliest. In that time we have sold our house and are now in rented and really confused about everything, it is a bit of a nightmare, but you know me, i dont like to moan!:shocked:

Guest sunnyday
Good luck I hope all goes well with the court case, and you can come home to Australia...so you will go to Melbourne? We are hoping to go back to North West....looking at houses in Walton Le Dale...which is not far from Blackburn. DH has another interview soon so fingers crossed he gets that if not then back to the drawing board again. So hard trying to get a job in the UK applying from Oz where it seems doing it the other way is alot easier...heaps of people get transferred from the UK to Oz with his company all expenses paid reloaction costs etc...I guess lots more competition for jobs over there.

I live near there!!! It's a truly tiny world, good luck to you too

Archived