Australian weather

mrsindecision

OK just have to get this off my chest - we all talk about the ozzie weather as a key reason for coming here - beautiful sunshine - predictable weather not like UK. Well quite honestly I have had a gut full of it. I have never seen so much rain in all my life - when we first came here it rained solidly like a monsoon for 6 months. This summer has been dry dry dry for months garden parched all plants dying grass brown, extreme heat and sitting inside with AC on ( nowhere near as cosy as sitting inside next to a warm fire I can tell you). Then the humidity came - sweating all day - getting out of the shower sweating - 2 showers a day and constantly curly hair and sweaty bras! Now the rain has come again - this has been days and days of relentless heavy soaked through if you're out in it for 30 seconds - cant get anything dry - whole house is damp rain.

I am sorry I know UK can be grey but the weather is overall much more moderate than here - I can go out in the rain - drive in the rain. And when it is overcast and dull I can still sit outside in a fleece with a hot cup of tea and read the paper and weed the garden. Without having to worry about being sun burned, soaked, bitten or drenched in unattractive sweat!

OK rant over if anyone is coming to the sunshine coast expecting sunshine in the next week - then dont!

:arghh: no need to send me any serious replies about how great weather is here - I do get it and obviously there are days when its great but I just think its seriously seriously over rated.

You prefer this???????

GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Magnetic6
Sounds perfect to me - anything has got to be better than the constant dreary rain in Manchester!

i don't know where you were today but it was lovely, sunny and not particularly cold in my part of Manchester today, definitely felt like spring :biggrin:

Beautiful day here in Cambridgeshire - sunshine but still a bit of nip in the air. Enough for me to be perfectly snug with a t shirt and a fleece (didnt even wear the damart thermals today)

On balance I would much prefer snow to drought, yes. I would also prefer rain to drought and much prefer cold to the searing hot days we have in Aus in summer. At least with the UK cold and wet you can adjust your clothing and keep yourself warm and dry. With the heat all you can do is lurch from one airconditioned environment to another. It has been pretty chilly on some days since I have been here but never once have I felt inclined to wear the nice down jacket that I bought specially for the occasion - it sits in the car boot ready for the day when my poor old fleece fails to keep the warm in. Looks like that was one big waste of money!

Well im not going for the weather,but i researched as much as i could into the different states weather,how accurate it all is i cant say 100%:goofy:.

But the "supposed" med type weather,lack of rain,in S.A was part of the reason we chose there,although im going to look for a job in an ice cream factory in the few months when its roasto! hate setting brick in the sun me,im not much of a sunlover tbh,she is tho.

As i say ,i decided against other states because some of them have more sunny/hot days,some more humidity,but i dont suppose you "realy" know untill your living there.

But S.A "seems" more seasonal,its just those few summer months im not looking forward to,whingeing pom already and im not even there yet

Yeah, ya whinging pom Pablo, LOL,:biglaugh: Victoria - 4 seasons, beautiful, best place in the country:jiggy:

Guest wobob
i don't know where you were today but it was lovely, sunny and not particularly cold in my part of Manchester today, definitely felt like spring :biggrin:

Admittedly the day started off beautifully bright and sunny, if a little on the chilly side, but I looked out the window at lunchtime and it was raining. Again.

I was in Bury/Whitefield at the time.

Guest guest30038
and thank gawd for that!!! dams over flowing, water tanks over flowing all ready for when the dry starts.

Bloody pond and pool overflowing! More salt and chemicals in the offing! I love it though...........watching the school kids jumping in puddles on their way to school. Could get some lovely pics, but restrained for fear of being accused of being a paedo! :cry:

kev

Brisbane has an average 271 dry days a year. The most out of all capital cities. Summer is the wet season and it's a wetter and more humid one than normal....that's life. The weather is so often great that I couldn't complain about a bad patch.

Brisbane has an average 271 dry days a year. The most out of all capital cities. Summer is the wet season and it's a wetter and more humid one than normal....that's life. The weather is so often great that I couldn't complain about a bad patch.

I know - I did say I was whinging - when you're as p'd off as I am with life in Aus and just want to go home - nothing is tolerable ( bloody maggots this morning!!!!)

Of course Aus has fab weather - just right now for me its crap.

:wub:

Guest Guest31881
I know - I did say I was whinging - when you're as p'd off as I am with life in Aus and just want to go home - nothing is tolerable ( bloody maggots this morning!!!!)

Of course Aus has fab weather - just right now for me its crap.

:wub:

I think anyone who has read some of your posts in the past will realise you are just venting some frustration, and it does help to have a little winge occasionally:biggrin:

(but i still like the rain :biglaugh:).

Guest chellebella

I'm an Aussie (with Brit hubby) and the weather in Brisbane is one of the reasons we've got the hump with it here and we are going to live in the UK for a few years! I'm so sick of the heat, I find it so limiting esp with a toddler to worry about getting burnt and getting seared on hot cars and I hate not being able to blow dry your hair or even wear make-up because it all melts off. Try to get dressed up and you just feel gross within minutes because you're all sweaty!

I feel like I spend my life trying to hide from the sun so when it rains like this I'm like a pig in mud (literally!!). I think the cooler weather suits my temperament! It feel so nourishing and cool, I would prefer rain rain rain to 40C weather anyday!!

At least in the UK even when it's freezing you can rug up in a big coat and boots and get out and about, we often go for long country walks in the winter when we are there and it's nice because the walking warms you up (and a thermos of hot tea) but in Oz we rarely bush walk because it's just too hot.

I suppose there is no PERFECT climate and no doubt I'll be whinging about the cold and grey within a few years of being over there... so at least then I'll fit in with the locals :wink:

Guest siamsusie
I'm an Aussie (with Brit hubby) and the weather in Brisbane is one of the reasons we've got the hump with it here and we are going to live in the UK for a few years! I'm so sick of the heat, I find it so limiting esp with a toddler to worry about getting burnt and getting seared on hot cars and I hate not being able to blow dry your hair or even wear make-up because it all melts off. Try to get dressed up and you just feel gross within minutes because you're all sweaty!

I feel like I spend my life trying to hide from the sun so when it rains like this I'm like a pig in mud (literally!!). I think the cooler weather suits my temperament! It feel so nourishing and cool, I would prefer rain rain rain to 40C weather anyday!! The winter in Brisbane is just lovely, but the hot months dominate the year unfortunately.

At least in the UK even when it's freezing you can rug up in a big coat and boots and get out and about, we often go for long country walks in the winter when we are there and it's nice because the walking warms you up (and a thermos of hot tea) but in Oz we rarely bush walk because it's just too hot.

I suppose there is no PERFECT climate and no doubt I'll be whinging about the cold and grey within a few years of being over there... so at least then I'll fit in with the locals

:cute:I know you dont need my advice but I am going to give it to you anyway:laugh:... Open your own chocolate factory here in Tasmania to please the Poms, hire in an little grey wizard from Swiss/Belgium and start your own "Willywonker" outfit, I am sure you will be happier:hug: Susie x

PS best of luck going back to the UK xx

Guest chellebella
I know you dont need my advice but I am going to give it to you anyway... Open your own chocolate factory here in Tasmania to please the Poms, hire in an little grey wizard from Swiss/Belgium and start your own "Willywonker" outfit, I am sure you will be happier Susie x

PS best of luck going back to the UK xx

Oh well actually my best friend is moving to Tassie this year and she's always singing it's praises and trying to sell the lifestyle to me too! I love her justification about how we put out air con up here to about 22C and that down there it's 22C most summer days so it's like living in permanent air conditioning :wub:

Anyway we'd actually consider it except my hubby misses his family so much that is the main reason we are going back, so of course family trumps weather any day!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob c
You prefer this???????

GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

I was here for all that mate, let me tell u its ws ****in Baltic, and pure ****e, it started on the 17th of December and is been cold ever since luckly i was on my way to Morroco for 3 weeks :) i came back and my car was under 3 weeks of snow, being a Volvo, she fired up first time!! had to use warm coke a cola to pour over the door seals in order to open the god dam things!!, only this week is it suppossed to warm up!!!! i cant wait to get out of here!! its a joke!!

Guest minnismove

I grew up on the Sunshine Coast (lived there for 20 years) and can honestly say that the weather is just BEAUTIFUL. I then moved to Brisbane where I lived for 7 years and I think the weather there is perfect. I have lived in London for 3 years and can honestly say that the weather here is the PITS. I know that the Sunny Coast has had a wet season but that is unusual... it would be like me saying that this Winter in the UK is how every Winter is... but that would be wrong. I love the sunshine and I love the heat... you just feel so much better. Life shouldnt' be spent couped up on the couch in a fleece with a cup of tea ... we should be outside, enjoying the outdoors! In Queensland's summer months you need to get up in the very early morning and rest during the day. I love the Sunny Coast and it is only now that I live in London that I realise just how much I took for granted.

Guest chris955

We have lived in Brisbane for 8 years now and I must admit I look forward to the winter as it is more comfortable. It is pointless trying to do any outdoor work in the summer as it is just too hot and humid.

I love the fact that the nights now are starting to cool down.

We have lived in Brisbane for 8 years now and I must admit I look forward to the winter as it is more comfortable. It is pointless trying to do any outdoor work in the summer as it is just too hot and humid.

I love the fact that the nights now are starting to cool down.

ya wuss.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj

Well after 45 years in Australia I think I am qualified to comment on australian weather,most of the time I love it here,the autumn and spring in N/E Victoria is lovely ,autumn is great with the heat of the summer giving way to cooler days and nights,spring is good too with warmer mornings although it can get a bit windy here,winters are generally not too bad although it can get to as low as -4 here if we have a really bad winter,summer is my least favorite season with temperatures sometimes getting up in the mid 40's,.the hottest day I have seen here was December 8 2006 when it hit 47.2 degrees at about 2 in the afternoon,that was too hot for me and sadly for three geese who died from heat exhaustion despite my best efforts to save them by turning a hose on them.

Hot summers are one thing I can quite easily live without,in fact I actually prefer winter,you can always put on an extra jumper and pair of socks in winter but there is only so much you can take off in summer!lol.

I have to agree with you on the weather in Victoria.

The temp gets above 40 deg for about 10 day’s each year in the summer which is too hot to work.

But apart from that I have no problem with the weather in Victoria.

I bloody love it..............sitting under the pergola while it chucks it down. Watching the goldfish mating in the pond and me, chucking bricks at the herons :biglaugh:

I love watching the idiots walking home from work when they can't be arsed to carry an umbrella :biglaugh:

You take the rough with the smooth and make the best of both

kev

I did'nt think you were allowed to have ponds in your gardens. Or did I dream it?

Or was it your not allowed to feed the birds?

Archived