Australian weather

mrsindecision

OK just have to get this off my chest - we all talk about the ozzie weather as a key reason for coming here - beautiful sunshine - predictable weather not like UK. Well quite honestly I have had a gut full of it. I have never seen so much rain in all my life - when we first came here it rained solidly like a monsoon for 6 months. This summer has been dry dry dry for months garden parched all plants dying grass brown, extreme heat and sitting inside with AC on ( nowhere near as cosy as sitting inside next to a warm fire I can tell you). Then the humidity came - sweating all day - getting out of the shower sweating - 2 showers a day and constantly curly hair and sweaty bras! Now the rain has come again - this has been days and days of relentless heavy soaked through if you're out in it for 30 seconds - cant get anything dry - whole house is damp rain.

I am sorry I know UK can be grey but the weather is overall much more moderate than here - I can go out in the rain - drive in the rain. And when it is overcast and dull I can still sit outside in a fleece with a hot cup of tea and read the paper and weed the garden. Without having to worry about being sun burned, soaked, bitten or drenched in unattractive sweat!

OK rant over if anyone is coming to the sunshine coast expecting sunshine in the next week - then dont!

:arghh: no need to send me any serious replies about how great weather is here - I do get it and obviously there are days when its great but I just think its seriously seriously over rated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
OK just have to get this off my chest - we all talk about the ozzie weather as a key reason for coming here - beautiful sunshine - predictable weather not like UK. Well quite honestly I have had a gut full of it. I have never seen so much rain in all my life - when we first came here it rained solidly like a monsoon for 6 months. This summer has been dry dry dry for months garden parched all plants dying grass brown, extreme heat and sitting inside with AC on ( nowhere near as cosy as sitting inside next to a warm fire I can tell you). Then the humidity came - sweating all day - getting out of the shower sweating - 2 showers a day and constantly curly hair and sweaty bras! Now the rain has come again - this has been days and days of relentless heavy soaked through if you're out in it for 30 seconds - cant get anything dry - whole house is damp rain.

I am sorry I know UK can be grey but the weather is overall much more moderate than here - I can go out in the rain - drive in the rain. And when it is overcast and dull I can still sit outside in a fleece with a hot cup of tea and read the paper and weed the garden. Without having to worry about being sun burned, soaked, bitten or drenched in unattractive sweat!

OK rant over if anyone is coming to the sunshine coast expecting sunshine in the next week - then dont!

:arghh: no need to send me any serious replies about how great weather is here - I do get it and obviously there are days when its great but I just think its seriously seriously over rated.

I bloody love it..............sitting under the pergola while it chucks it down. Watching the goldfish mating in the pond and me, chucking bricks at the herons :biglaugh:

I love watching the idiots walking home from work when they can't be arsed to carry an umbrella :biglaugh:

You take the rough with the smooth and make the best of both

kev

Guest Guest31881

Must admit, it has been a "tad" wet the last few weeks, I believe it’s been a record breaking summer... for rain. They have even opened the flood gates on the dams because they are overflowing. But it’s all part of the experience of living in a sub-tropical area. Autumn is here now and a whole new seasonal experience begins.:biggrin:

But other parts of Australia are crying out for rain.

Doesn't sound anything like where I live. Maybe you could try a different part of Aus before spending all that money going back. Oh.... and change you title to Queensland weather. Australia is a very big country (continent) and everywhere is very different.

Good luck

Have to admit the weather has surprised us.We have had a very wet summer with many weekend plans washed out.

We have also had days where it has been too hot and humid to do anything.The thunder storms still scare the hell out of me as well Chuck in 2 red dust storms and numerous hail storms it makes you wonder why every one goes on about the weather.

All I can say is no one warned how unpredictable it can be.:mad:

Guest guest17520

Whereabouts do you live? If it's in QLD then thats what you get for moving to a tropical climate. Have you ever thought about moving somewhere else in OZ?

*edit - missed the bit about Sunshine Coast. Yeah, you should consider somewhere else in Oz if you don't like tropical weather. I went to Cairns for 7 weeks. It rained every day for 2 weeks because it was the wet season. Then one day it stopped and it was brilliant sunshine every day. That's just what you expect.

LOL,, your not related to Aldo are you? lol

I actually wondered if he was back in Oz as it hasnt rained this much since he was here last.lol

It isnt always this wet Mrs Indecision but i must admit this last few months it has chucked it down quite alot. Im abit like Kev though,, love sitting in the pation watching it especially if it is thundering and lightening.

Much prefer it to the cold UK rain,,on saying that today has been a little chiller so i dragged my jeans out of the cupboard,lol.

Cal x

Guest siamsusie
Must admit, it has been a "tad" wet the last few weeks, I believe it’s been a record breaking summer... for rain. They have even opened the flood gates on the dams because they are overflowing. But it’s all part of the experience of living in a sub-tropical area. Autumn is here now and a whole new seasonal experience begins.:biggrin:

But other parts of Australia are crying out for rain.

We are crying out for rain here, its very dry, hopefully we will get some soon, but I feel "cuddly up" weather arriving soon:wink:

Guest tlander56

Yep, the constant sweating and the insane skin cancer risk got to me.....to be honest, we spent more time outside in the UK than in Brisbane..

Guest iselinger

I'm in Sydney and its definitely the first day of Autumn today. I have just had to put on jeans, trainers and along sleeve top to go out to the pub!

Guest cazbeckham

Cal

Dragged your jeans out - shouldn't have done that girl, you won't feel the benefit of them when the real bad winter arrives LOL!

Hope you are all well albeit WET!

I've lived in QLD for 30 years, NSW for 1 year and VIC for 5 years. It definitely rained the most in QLD, with NSW not so far behind, but apart from being cool and often grey in Melbourne, it's rarely rained much at all apart from drizzle that doesn't even wet the ground. Hence the drought.

I don't think we're happy where ever we are, always something to complain about. I am accustomed to the often constant 40C summers and horrid humidity and sunburn, not to mention flies and mozzies in plague proportions. I do laugh though when I hear my British mates say they'd love to live in Australia. Give em a few years (or just months) of humidity, 40C+ temps, water restrictions, flies and mozzies, and they'll run back home with their tails between their legs lol.

I love Australia, after 36 years here, but so looking forward to a change that the UK will bring. I can always live in Spain if I don't like Manchester winters.

It has felt like the most consistently humid summer for a long time. My wife says the worst in her 8 years here. Also announced record rainfalls this summer as well. I guess just like if you judged the UK by this year you would think it snows a lot there every winter. I spend far more time outside in Brisbane than the UK due to the usually long dry, sunny, autumn, winter and spring. Summer is the bad season just like winter somewhere else. You put up with it for the rest of the year.

I've lived in QLD for 30 years, NSW for 1 year and VIC for 5 years. It definitely rained the most in QLD, with NSW not so far behind, but apart from being cool and often grey in Melbourne, it's rarely rained much at all apart from drizzle that doesn't even wet the ground. Hence the drought.

I don't think we're happy where ever we are, always something to complain about. I am accustomed to the often constant 40C summers and horrid humidity and sunburn, not to mention flies and mozzies in plague proportions. I do laugh though when I hear my British mates say they'd love to live in Australia. Give em a few years (or just months) of humidity, 40C+ temps, water restrictions, flies and mozzies, and they'll run back home with their tails between their legs lol.

I love Australia, after 36 years here, but so looking forward to a change that the UK will bring. I can always live in Spain if I don't like Manchester winters.

If they go through all that at that at once I reckon you'd be right. Luckily you get humidity in Brisbane but not many high 40+ temps or flies where you get low humidity in Melbourne, but high temps and flies. Not many places where you regularly get it all thank god.

Brisbane is wettest but has most dry days due to heavier rainfall - notwithstanding drought in Melbourne of course.

i actually hate the summer here too hot and humid or raining

but the rest of the year is perfect (sydney)

Guest proud2beaussie

Well after 45 years in Australia I think I am qualified to comment on australian weather,most of the time I love it here,the autumn and spring in N/E Victoria is lovely ,autumn is great with the heat of the summer giving way to cooler days and nights,spring is good too with warmer mornings although it can get a bit windy here,winters are generally not too bad although it can get to as low as -4 here if we have a really bad winter,summer is my least favorite season with temperatures sometimes getting up in the mid 40's,.the hottest day I have seen here was December 8 2006 when it hit 47.2 degrees at about 2 in the afternoon,that was too hot for me and sadly for three geese who died from heat exhaustion despite my best efforts to save them by turning a hose on them.

Hot summers are one thing I can quite easily live without,in fact I actually prefer winter,you can always put on an extra jumper and pair of socks in winter but there is only so much you can take off in summer!lol.

well of course you are all right about beautiful autumns and springs here - but that doesnt stop me missing my English garden ( I was a saddo who would lie in my hammock with a blanket while watching the red kites flying overhead). I cant help missing going out on a really cold day wrapped in layers and coming back red cheeked with coat tied round my waist after a good hike through the woods ( dog off lead) ready for a hot chocolate (or red wine) the Observer (liberal wimp) on the sofa in front of the open fire.

I know, I know I am a whinging pom and I just need to go home. Hey I might even have stopped taking myself so seriously - my old self might be coming back.

Even the Archers doesnt sound right listened to in the seering heat. (RIP Phil/Norman)

:)

Guest wobob
Well after 45 years in Australia I think I am qualified to comment on australian weather,most of the time I love it here,the autumn and spring in N/E Victoria is lovely ,autumn is great with the heat of the summer giving way to cooler days and nights,spring is good too with warmer mornings although it can get a bit windy here,winters are generally not too bad although it can get to as low as -4 here if we have a really bad winter,summer is my least favorite season with temperatures sometimes getting up in the mid 40's,..

Sounds perfect to me - anything has got to be better than the constant dreary rain in Manchester!

Well im not going for the weather,but i researched as much as i could into the different states weather,how accurate it all is i cant say 100%:goofy:.

But the "supposed" med type weather,lack of rain,in S.A was part of the reason we chose there,although im going to look for a job in an ice cream factory in the few months when its roasto! hate setting brick in the sun me,im not much of a sunlover tbh,she is tho.

As i say ,i decided against other states because some of them have more sunny/hot days,some more humidity,but i dont suppose you "realy" know untill your living there.

But S.A "seems" more seasonal,its just those few summer months im not looking forward to,whingeing pom already and im not even there yet:biglaugh:

Guest stellios

Beginning to worry about night time temps in our campervan this July! Are we going to freeze?!

(2 adults 4 kids 5 wk reccie Queensland)

Guest Guest31881
Beginning to worry about night time temps in our campervan this July! Are we going to freeze?!

(2 adults 4 kids 5 wk reccie Queensland)

I arrived in June last year in Brisbane area, coldest night was about 5c, daytime temp was around 20c, of course if a cold winter it could be lower, but I believe that is about normal for this area.

Archived