State Migration Plan-What states are saying?...

cartertucker

Yes, the new SMP will affect existing visa applicants. In particular those currently in Priority 5. There is a possibility that your occupation could be included in the new SMP which will move you up from Priority 5 to Priority 2 once the new SMP is released.

Thanks for the info. I`m hoping so, but as listed as an Architectural Associate - my job was only listed for a short period before it was removed again, [Qld] and felt lucky to get my SS application in during that moment which was granted in Sept. (i know its currently on perths list).

I`m hoping your right - but seeing as it wasnt on - then went on - then went off, I fear i may be qued.

<edit> since typing the above if found this link http://www.visabureau.com/australia/jobs/architectural-associate-australia.aspx but am not sure if its on the QLD listing? I`m sooo lost and going around in circles...!??!!? .... ?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Violet S
Thanks for the info. I`m hoping so, but as listed as an Architectural Associate - my job was only listed for a short period before it was removed again, [Qld] and felt lucky to get my SS application in during that moment which was granted in Sept. (i know its currently on perths list).

I`m hoping your right - but seeing as it wasnt on - then went on - then went off, I fear i may be qued.

<edit> since typing the above if found this link Architectural Associate Australia but am not sure if its on the QLD listing? I`m sooo lost and going around in circles...!??!!? .... ?

Hi danny&em,

We are at the same boat. My skill was on before, lucky to get it approved, then off the list. Those skill still on the list will stay hope to be in the smp. How about us, skills being removed from the list. Where will we be after the mid of april?

Cheers,

Violet

Guest grooovy

Hi everyone,

Today I wrote an email to ACT Territory Sponsorship team to clarify some details about my possible SS application (176). Among personal questions, I asked about the future SMP and how the new SOL (based on ANZSCO codes) may influence sponsored applicants with old ASCO codes, or others who get sponsorship before new SOL comes in. So, I'll post the answer here when (and if) I get response from Canberra.

Cheers!

Guest VickyMel

Hi

Just copying in a bit from Jamie Smiths notes from eth migration agents/DIAC meeting re SMPs

The original is here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78424-thread-agents-only-re-new-gsm-changes-4.html#post705421

NB I have cut a load not relevant to SMPs out of the following

My take on DIAC's Melbourne presentation by Peter Speldewinde, Deputy Secretary of Skilled Migration (I think I got that right). This is not migtration advice, just notes and personal comments. Sorry, I cannot give anyone feedback on their individual cases....

State Migration plans must apparently be backed by research into occupations and geographic areas before DIAC/Minsiter will agree to them. It takes a while to set an ongoing and broad ranging research programme like that up.

Furthermore, DIAC are aware that some States will sponsor anyone for anything, and I think DIAC will knock back various occupations on the lists until the States get to show the workings behind the listing of that occupation. I expect the State lists to be fairly skinny when they launch and widen over time, much the same as the new SOL will start short and get big later (as it is run by heavy hitters with political contacts who hate embarrassment as much as the politicians do).

There is also now a thread discussing the other points from Jamies take on things said at the meeting re other migration issues

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/80871-jamie-smiths-thoughts-after-melbourne-presentation.html#post705544

Edit: Adding a bit more as I see Alan Collett has also added some comments re his take on what was said re SMPs

again I have just cut out the bits relevant to SMPs - here is the link for the rest

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78424-thread-agents-only-re-new-gsm-changes-5.html#post705725

- State Migration Plans: some States and Territories are more advanced in the research underpinning their skilled occupations lists; there is a Memorandum of Understanding between the Federal Minister and the relevant State/Territory Government Ministers; variations to original Plans can be submitted and will then be approved (or not) by the Federal Government

- Intended that SMPs will mesh with what comes out of State and Territory education/environment/indigenous programs

VickyMel

sorry to be ignorant but can anyone point me in the direction about state sponsorship like whats it all about ?is it the same as employer sponsorship? as this is the direction my husband will have to take and im getting boggled with all the information lol!!!

any help will be gratefully received :-)

liniloo

Guest Sarahe

It is different to employer sponsorship (ENS)

State sponsorship allows you to qualify to migrate with lower points - you only need 100 rather than 120 (and the state sponsorship itself gives you 10 points)....

At the moment lots of people with many more points are also applying for state sponsorship as it moves them up the visa processing queue... they are currently prioritising who they process with ENS top and any with skills on their critical skills list. After that they are looking at those sponsored by the states.

Here is a link to the migration site with lots more info if you think it may be relevant to you... though to be honest if there is a chance of employer sponsorship that is by far the best option.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/

Also BIG HEALTH WARNING... it is all about to change lots so I would recommend you talk to a migration agent... they are reviewing the points system and the skilled occupation list is to be seriously reduced and they will then remove the CSL list. And the states are having to create new state migration plans approved by the Minister for immigration which will restrict who they can sponsor.

There is loads of information on here but you can get some pretty good free advice from the migration agents... if you have a look on the threads here you will see there are 3/4 really good quality ones that are the best to talk to.

Good luck

Sarah

Guest grooovy

Hi!

I've got a reply from ACT... and it's a quite not what I expected.

Here is the full email I've got today:

If you meet the criteria you can apply for sponsorship. I cannot comment on whether you would meet the State Migration Plan as it has not been developed yet.
I asked pretty clear and straightforward questions but... maybe they aren't entitled to answer them and give any sort of consultations? Who knows...

So... not a single word about possible ASCO -> ANZSCO transitions and which codes will be on SMP.

Probably, I'll wait for an ACT SMP and try to get sponsorship afterwards.

Cheers!

Alex

Hi!

I've got a reply from ACT... and it's a quite not what I expected.

Here is the full email I've got today:

I asked pretty clear and straightforward questions but... maybe they aren't entitled to answer them and give any sort of consultations? Who knows...

So... not a single word about possible ASCO -> ANZSCO transitions and which codes will be on SMP.

Probably, I'll wait for an ACT SMP and try to get sponsorship afterwards.

Cheers!

Alex

Thanks Alex

It sounds as if the ACT are keeping their lips tightly zipped and not mentioning anything about the possibility of their current list being transferred over to their SMP. As far as I can remember somebody emailed them before and were given a different answer. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Roll on 1 July!!. We have just applied for SS with the ACT and should hear back mid may. We are crossing our fingers that my OH job - 2311-11 Systems Manager will be on their SMP but who knows!! Is your asco on their baseline list?

Suzanne

Guest kasper

hi there not sure if this has been posted already but from the mia notes page 9

With the introduction of a more targeted SOL, the Department will look to develop State and Territory Migration Plans to provide states/territories more flexibility to sponsor applicants for a broad range of occupations which will not be on the new SOL.

looks like the smp s may not be on the sol? thoughts?

link GSM Changes Seminar Notes

hi there not sure if this has been posted already but from the mia notes page 9

With the introduction of a more targeted SOL, the Department will look to develop State and Territory Migration Plans to provide states/territories more flexibility to sponsor applicants for a broad range of occupations which will not be on the new SOL.

looks like the smp s may not be on the sol? thoughts?

link GSM Changes Seminar Notes

Correct, the occupations on SMP do not necessarily have to be on the new SOL. However, Im sure they will have to convince DIAC in some way that they are in need of these professions.

Guest VickyMel

Hi

mainly bouncing this thread as I think it is useful -

But also to put in a link to a post by George Lombard on changes with ACT SS

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/81874-act-sponsorship-changes.html#post716270

While I was at it I checked the VIC SS web site and there is no update on their SMP as per the web site yet.

Federal Minister's announcement on GSM visas - Live in Victoria

VickyMel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest archisami

Hi,

There is no new post for a week,

I was looking for comments after the announcement about new Baseline and Quta lists from ACT.

plz someone help me if there is any related comments in another threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VickyMel

Hi guys

Bouncing the thread with a link to a post today by George Lombard re a SA announcement re SS applications needing to be in prior to 14 May (re new SOL list June/July).

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/83576-new-sol-state-migration-arrangements.html#post734127

Its not actually re SMPs but looks like SA are moving towards that.

Also to add that I have not seen any news on SMP from VIC yet.

VickyMel

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from the ACT last week who said they hope to have their State Migration Plan agreed by 1st July. They intend to include both the Baseline and Quota list in the SMP but expect DIAC to argue every occupation so we won't know the final outcome until July!

Guest archisami
I heard from the ACT last week who said they hope to have their State Migration Plan agreed by 1st July. They intend to include both the Baseline and Quota list in the SMP but expect DIAC to argue every occupation so we won't know the final outcome until July!

Hello clickettuk,

Thanks for sharing what you heard but I didn't understand is it your assumption that DIAC would argue for every occupation or ACT mentioned?

Hello clickettuk,

Thanks for sharing what you heard but I didn't understand is it your assumption that DIAC would argue for every occupation or ACT mentioned?

Hi,

The email from ACT said they expected DIAC to look into all occupations to justify its inclusion on the SMP. I'm guessing that extra attention will be given to occupations on ACTs Quota List, since by definition, they are in less demand than occupations on their Baseline List. I'm a little nervous since my occupation was recently relegated to the Quota List.

Archived