State Migration Plan-What states are saying?...

cartertucker

Guest archisami
Cat2 is not related to CSL at all.. Cat 2 is purely for the SMP.

Thanks u mat,

you are right I made a mistake,I mean no more CSL no more cat 3 and 4,therefore existing cat 5 would be in 3rd priority.

If they announce SMP some occupations will jump to the 2nd and and if they don't or the occupation not be included it will be in 3rd rank,you agree?:idea:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest reddragon81

A draft of the WA state migration plan has been released. It may be amended yet and then has to be okayed by the minister for immigration.

However at present it includes cooks, pastry cooks and welfare workers.

It does not include hairdressers and computing graduates (although they are trying to clarify with the ACS if this fits into one of the listed speciailisations).

Those sponsored by the WA state government are expected to have processing times of around 6 months.

Guest dennisfamily
A draft of the WA state migration plan has been released. It may be amended yet and then has to be okayed by the minister for immigration.

It does not include hairdressers and computing graduates (although they are trying to clarify with the ACS if this fits into one of the listed speciailisations).

Those sponsored by the WA state government are expected to have processing times of around 6 months.

Hi ,

On what site is this posted.

Can you please share the source of this draft WA SMP ??? :wub:

thanks

Becky

Hi Reddragon81,

Can you put up a link to the source of this information please?

Regards,

John:hug:

Can you please tell us where you got this info, I have just been into 15 or so web sites relating to WA and nothing is said in any of these......I know the workplace.gov.au site list is doing the rounds but this is not the SMP lists.

Guest bcfrug

I honestly dont think this list exists yet. Otherwise it would be everywhere.

If Reddragon81 had the list it would be published. I think he may be confusing it with the release of on the web site from the state occupation research.

Guest Jane1991

Apparently the 'leak' that Gill talked about is getting bigger as more people get access to the draft SMP that was in hands of the MIA members.

Its only a draft and since the minister has a vendetta against the chefs ,hair stylists and other vocational workers I would not give it much credit till the minister had a chance to edit it .

I honestly dont think this list exists yet. Otherwise it would be everywhere.

If Reddragon81 had the list it would be published. I think he may be confusing it with the release of on the web site from the state occupation research.

Reddragon81 has mentioned that it is the draft list. Only the final list will be published. The draft list is floating around for sometime and Gill had mentioned about this on another post.

Hmmm although not the final list, and I understand about not getting people's hopes up (having been disappointed myself with the Draft/ Finalised SOL) I'd still be interested to see the draft- if nothing more than just to see what the differences are between this and the SOL. Purely for my own curiosity

Hi

I am at the peak of frustration!!!:mad: will there be any chance for the existence of OH - Counsellors (nec) in WA SMP, (Mr. reddragon81 mentioned welfare workers are on the list) ......... any one came across any news about this skill shortage??? :daydreaming:

really worried!!! :huh: if its not, i will stuck up here!!! :no:

Thanks

Becky

Guest skipling

Hi Becky

I know it's hard - until the official list is published = take everything with a pinch of salt. I know I am! It's easy to speculate, but that just leads to stress and there's nothing anyone can do at the moment. We all just have to sit tight. It's SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

Hang on in there. :hug:

Guest reddragon81

sorry for such a late reply.

I have been away for a couple of days

I copy pasted my previous post from an email I received from a migration agent to whom newsletter I have subscribed to.

However, a couply of days ago I have called them and they said that they cannot disclose any information, because it is only a draft and it is nothing official.

After that, I bumped into this very comforting (being a cook with a SS myself) statement by senator Chris Evans Chris Evans: Migration options remain for chefs and cooks

So I was very excited and full of hope... but yesterday I had the worst news ever.

Im just going to copy paste the newsletters I received

However, much more important than that is the proposed AXING of many existing visa applicants. In parliament at the moment is a bill that will allow the minister to allocate a certain amount of places to each occupation in the points test (whether that be Accountant, Cook, Nurse etc) and then when that quota is met, he seeks to be able to then not just stop processing in that occupation for the rest of the program year but much worse, actually return those applications back to visa applicants. In other words your application will be just AXED even if you have been waiting a year, 2 years, 3 years for a decision. This is potentially going to affect many thousands of people who have been waiting and details are below in the transcript from parliament this week.

This is unfair in so many ways and is the most draconian piece of legislation I have seen in 17 years in the industry. It eats at the core of Australian fairness for all those people who have sacrificed so much in making sure they meet Australia's requirements, lodged perfectly good applications, and then had to wait patiently whilst their applications and lives have been put on hold an inordinate amount of time.

Note this is not the fault of the department of immigration (DIAC), they only follow what they are told to do. This legislation is the responsibility of the minister for immigration and ultimately the PM. This legislation is close to passing and I would suggest that if you feel this is unfair and wrong, that you make contact with not just your local MP urgently but also contact the other people below of influence. Tell them how much you have spent in time, money and emotional toil and how much you trusted Australia to stand by their own laws.

Minister for Immigration : Senator Chris Evans minister@immi.gov.au

Prime Minister: The Hon Kevin Rudd http://www.pm.gov.au/PM_Connect/contact_your_pm_form (you need to fill a form on his website)

Deputy Prime Minister: The Hon Julia Gillard dpm@dpm.gov.au

Leader of Opposition: The Hon Tony Abbott Tony.Abbott.MP@aph.gov.au

As mentioned earlier today DIAC intend to enact legislation that will allow them to AXE many 1000s of applications from people who have been waiting patiently for substantial periods of time already. This is in most people's opinion I think totally unfair and does great damage to Australia's international reputation.

If you feel the same way or are potentially affected by this axing because you currently have a general skilled migration application with DIAC (475, 487, 175, 176, 885, 886 or 887 visa categories) then it is important that you advise the senate enquiry as to how unfair you think this. You should explain how much time, money and turmoil you have gone through and why you think it unfair. As well as those politicians emails addresses I gave in the update earlier today, the senate have a page to except submissions here .. http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/legcon_ctte/migration_amendment_visa_capping/info.htm you should send it them as well through details below.

And the full text of this page is here .. you only have until the 4th JUNE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Migration Amendment (Visa Capping) Bill 2010

Information about the Inquiry

On 26 May 2010 the Senate referred the following matter to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee for inquiry and report.

The Migration Amendment (Visa Capping) Bill 2010 (the Bill) seeks to amend the Migration Act 1958 to enable the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship (the Minister) to cap visa grants and terminate visa applications based on the class or classes of applicant applying for the visa.

In particular, the Bill would enable the Minister to make a legislative instrument to determine the maximum number of visas of a specified class or classes that may be granted in a financial year to visa applicants with specified characteristics, and treat outstanding applications for the capped visa as never having been made.

The proposed amendments are intended to address issues relating to the General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa program.

Submissions should be received by 04 June 2010. The reporting date is 15 June 2010.

The Committee is seeking written submissions from interested individuals and organisations preferably in electronic form submitted online or sent by email to legcon.sen@aph.gov.au as an attached Adobe PDF or MS Word format document. The email must include full postal address and contact details.

Alternatively, written submissions may be sent to:

Committee Secretary

Senate Legal and Constitutional Committee

PO Box 6100

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Australia

Notes to help you prepare your submission are available from the website at http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/wit_sub/index.htm. Alternatively, the Committee Secretariat will be able to help you with your inquiries and can be contacted on telephone +61 2 6277 3560 or facsimile +61 2 6277 5794 or by email to legcon.sen@aph.gov.au.

Inquiries from hearing and speech impaired people should be directed to Parliament House TTY number 02 6277 7799. Adobe also provides tools at http://access.adobe.com/ for the blind and visually impaired to access PDF documents. If you require any special arrangements to enable you to participate in the Committee's inquiry, please contact the Committee Secretariat.

Once the Committee accepts your submission, it becomes a confidential Committee document and is protected by Parliamentary Privilege. You must not release your submission without the Committee's permission. If you do, it will not be protected by Parliamentary Privilege. At some stage during the inquiry, the Committee normally makes submissions public and places them on its website. Please indicate if you want your submission to be kept confidential.

For further information, contact:

Committee Secretary

Senate Legal and Constitutional Committee

PO Box 6100

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Australia

Phone:+61 2 6277 3560Fax:+61 2 6277 5794</ Email:

Link:

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;adv=;db=;group=;holdingType=;id=;orderBy=;page=;query=BillId_Phrase%3Ar4364%20Title%3A%22second%20reading%22%20Content%3A%22I%20move%22%7C%22and%20move%22%20Content%3A%22be%20now%20read%20a%20second%20time%22%20%28Dataset%3Ahansardr%20%7C%20Dataset%3Ahansards%29;querytype=;rec=0;resCount=

Text:

Mr LAURIE FERGUSON (Reid) (Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Settlement Services) (10:52 AM) —I» «move»:

That this bill «be» «now» «read» «a» «second» «time.

The Migration Amendment (Visa Capping) Bill 2010 amends the Migration Act 1958 (the Act) to give the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship greater power to effectively manage the migration program.

The number of places in the skilled migration program available to applicants who are not sponsored by an employer continues to decline, as the government’s priority is to support demand driven—that is, employer sponsored—migration. At the same time, the number of pending applications continues to grow as the demand for general skilled migration visas exceeds the number of places available in the program.

The general skilled migration visa program has also become dominated by applicants nominating a limited number of occupations even though there are some 400 occupations that are acceptable for general skilled migration purposes. This has made it difficult for the program to deliver the broad range of skills needed in the Australian economy and the Australian labour market.

In the 2007-08 program year, of the 41,000 general skilled migration visas granted, more than 5,000 went to cooks and hairdressers. Further, there are currently 17,594 valid applications which have been made by people nominating their occupation as a cook or hairdresser which have not yet been finalised.

This matter is currently being addressed through priority processing arrangements. Under these arrangements, applicants that are sponsored by an employer, nominated by a state or territory government authority, or have an occupation which is in critical demand in Australia have their application processed before other applications.

However, these arrangements alone do not address the problem of large numbers of valid applications that continue to be made by applicants who are not sponsored and who are nominating occupations that are not in demand. Currently there are 147,000 primary and secondary applicants for general skilled migration visas waiting in the pipeline for a visa decision.

Amendment to ‘cap and terminate’ measures

To address these issues, the bill proposes to introduce a power by which the minister may cap visas and terminate visa applications on the basis of certain characteristics.

Currently, the Act gives the minister the power to make a legislative instrument in a certain class or subclass to cap visas and terminate applications for that class or subclass. The proposed amendments will enable the minister to cap visa grants and terminate visa applications based on the class or classes of applicant applying for the visa.

In particular, the proposed amendments will allow the minister to make a legislative instrument to determine the maximum number of visas of a specified class or classes that can be granted in a financial year to visa applicants with specified characteristics. Similar to the current power, the amendments will also allow the minister to treat outstanding applications for the capped visa as never having been made.

Characteristics that may be specified include the occupation nominated by the applicant, or the time at which the applicant made their application. The characteristics will be objective, and relate to information that is provided to the department when an application for a visa is made.

The characteristics that will be specified will depend on the purpose of the particular determination to cap and terminate visa applications and will be consistent with Australia’s international obligations. For example, if the determination is made for the purpose of limiting the number of applicants in the skilled migration program with the same nominated occupation, then a cap would be placed on applications which nominate that particular occupation.

To terminate a visa application is different to a decision to refuse a visa application. When an application is terminated it is taken not to have been made. Applicants who are affected by a cap will have their visa application charge refunded to them. Further, a visa application which has been terminated is not subject to merits review.

Application to the general skilled migration visa program

The amendments proposed in this bill not only provide a power to cap general skilled migration visas and terminate general skilled migration visa applications but are broad enough to allow other classes of visas to be capped. This provides the government with a tool for the targeted management of all aspects of the migration program which will be available as the need arises.

The exception to this will be protection visas. The minister cannot make a cap and terminate determination in relation to protection visas.

However, the primary policy imperative of the proposed amendments is to allow the minister to end the ongoing uncertainty faced by general skilled migration applicants whose applications are unlikely to be finalised because their skills are not in demand in Australia.

The proposed amendments will better address Australia’s skills shortages by limiting the number of general skilled migration visas able to be granted to applicants whose occupations are in oversupply, thereby leaving more spaces in the program available to applicants whose occupation is in demand.

This will allow the Australian government to deliver a skilled migration program that is more tightly focused on high-value skills that will assist in meeting the medium- to long-term needs of the Australian economy.

The government’s intention is to establish a realistic balance between providing the skills Australian employers need and ensuring the maximum opportunities for Australian citizens and permanent residents in a changing employment market.

This amendment is just one in a package of reforms the government is currently making to the skilled migration program to ensure that it is able to target skilled migrants with the high-value, nation-building skills that Australia needs.

Conclusion

This bill represents an important step in achieving the government’s objectives of a flexible skilled migration program that can be adapted to the economic and business cycle and the needs of Australian business and industry.

Debate (on motion by Mr Robert) adjourned

All this talk about not publishing the list because it is a draft list as though this justifies keeping information which has been leaked to these people and is now in the public domain is quite bonkers if you ask me. Anyway they published the draft SOL didnt they -we do know what draft means and we managed to understand the changes when we had sight of the finalised SOL!

All this talk about not publishing the list because it is a draft list as though this justifies keeping information which has been leaked to these people and is now in the public domain is quite bonkers if you ask me. Anyway they published the draft SOL didnt they -we do know what draft means and we managed to understand the changes when we had sight of the finalised SOL!

Actually they did not publish the draft SOL. The list that was presumed to be the draft SOL was the list published by Skills Australia after their analysis............

Actually they did not publish the draft SOL. The list that was presumed to be the draft SOL was the list published by Skills Australia after their analysis............

Thats right Ozzieland :cute: and this list of specialised occupations was directly linked to the skilled occupations list in the note 147 at the bottom indicating that that the new SOL will be based on that list specialised occupations and may eventually differ in the occupations included........

This list did give some indication of what was to come and gave some hope whilst others still kept their fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Foreverlove2010

Really? are you sure welfare worker is on WA list? I am so worried, could not get to sleep every night since new SOL leased.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum but I emailed WA state migration office the other day and it was pretty much useless except they did say that skills not on the new SOL maybe on the new SMP. I'm not sure if there are any pharmacists out there but does any one understand how pharmacy went from being on the critical skills list to not being on the SOL at all?

Also, does any one have any idea as to whether pharmacy may or may not be on any of the other states list? I just had a look at it seems that its on ACT/SA/NT/Tas/Regional NSW/WA but pretty much every state other than SA sponsors their own graduates. Hopefully come July 1 we will hear some good news..Stressful to have to deal with this 1 month before graduation and not knowing whats going to happen!!!

Archived