State Migration Plan-What states are saying?...

cartertucker

Guest VickyMel

Hi Kelly

Great idea for a thread. I had posted some details of what people have heard re VIC on the VIC thread but will be better all together here.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/65713-vic-state-sponsered-update-55.html#post679169

Bilaln30 posted a comment from his agent

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showpo...postcount=1281

:

Originally Posted by bilaln30 viewpost.gif

I got the following update from my Consultant:

"Applications nominated by a state / territory agency under a state migration plan agreed to by the minister. As at the 8 February 2010, the minister is yet to approve any state migration plans. I spoke to the Victorian State Government today to see if they have any further information about this “new” state migration plan however they are not familiar with this new piece of legislation. Presumably, the Minister will either approve / disapprove the state / territory skills shortage lists as they currently stand, or seek to approve a revised state / territory skills shortage list based on the nation’s skill shortage needs. I have left a message with the Director of the Skilled Migration Unit in Canberra to call me to discuss these new changes.

The processing time of your GSM application may be further affected due to these new changes. Considering that your case manager has already implemented final checks on your person, I would hope that this would not be the case. "

Cheers,

Bilal [/Quote]

Then Bebac posted this

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showpo...postcount=1288

which can also be found on the Victoria website

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...t-on-gsm-visas

(thansk Victoria it is good to have something to read - lets hope it gets updated soon)

Originally Posted by bebac30 viewpost.gif

State Sponsorship and State Migration Plans

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has indicated that, once the replacement SOL is introduced, state and territory governments may be able to sponsor applicants who have nominated an occupation in demand in individual states and territories. This includes occupations not included on the SOL replacement.

These occupations will be identified in Victoria’s State Migration Plan. The Victorian Government is currently developing its state migration plan, which must be approved by the Federal Minister for Immigration, and information about the plan will be available on this website when it is finalised. As at 8 February 2010, the Minister for Immigration has not approved any state migration plans.

In the meantime, please continue to refer to Victoria’s Eligibility Lists for occupations that are eligible for visa sponsorship from the Victorian Government. These occupations attract priority processing as follows:

• Third priority – if included on the Commonwealth Critical Skills List
  • Fifth Priority – if not included on the Commonwealth Critical Skills List.

Applicants with occupations that are not included on the Commonwealth Critical Skills List, or Victoria’s Eligibility Lists, should consider employer sponsorship visas under the Employer Nomination Scheme or the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme.

VickyMel

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in from South Australia:

I refer to your enquiry about the changes made by DIAC (and not Immigration SA) to General Skilled Migration on 8 February 2010:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm

SA State Sponsorship Applications

• Current Sponsorship applications with Immigration SA will not be affected – processing is continuing as normal
  • Current processing time is 4 weeks for Permanent and 8 weeks for Provisional – please ensure that any new applications are received in good time to meet any DIAC deadlines (in the future)
  • Obviously, any changes to policy/criteria or Lists from DIAC will have flow-on effects to Sponsorship policy/criteria/lists – until we know what the changes are from DIAC, we are unable to pre-empt what our changes might be
  • As usual Immigration SA reviews our lists in their entirety around the middle of the year – any new lists that DIAC bring about will have an impact on this

State Migration Plans (SMP)

• At this stage the State Government has only received preliminary communication from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (Australian Government) regarding the concept of SMPs. Therefore, at this stage we can provide very little information of use to prospective migrants or to migration agents acting on their behalf.
  • DIAC have made the decision that each State/Territory is to have a State Migration Plan which will be a formal signed agreement between the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship and each State and Territory Government.
  • It is expected that the SMPs will identify occupations in which migration is required to supplement supply available from the local labour market.
  • The number of occupations to be included under the SMP is not yet known.
  • It is expected that an SMP will be introduced around the middle of 2010, however no date has been set by or agreed to by South Australia and DIAC.
  • None of the states or territories currently has a State Migration Plan.

Please monitor the Immigration SA (www.migration.sa.gov.au) website for any changes.

Best regards.

Guest Wannabeoz

I asked the ACT if existing applicants were likely to be in the state migration plan, and this is their response:

Our understanding is that all current sponsorship applications will just continue on as usual and we are hoping that DIAC will move those current ones up the processing priority queue to level 2 – however this has not been confirmed by DIAC as yet. The ACT Government will honour all existing sponsorship applications. We cannot have guarantee what DIAC will do and you will need to contact them for clarification on this.

We have not as yet formulated a new State Migration Plan, however we do not foresee major changes to our list as the we have already “jumped ahead of the game” here by devising our own “quota” list. The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes.

we have already “jumped ahead of the game” here by devising our own “quota” list. The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes.

Do you think they actually mean the quota list or the baseline list?

Business and Industry Development - ACT Skills in Demand List

I would have thought the first list (baseline) was more likely to be on the State Migration Plan as the oocupations on there seem to be those that are in more demand. I only ask as I am on the 'quota list' and while I would love to believe that there is a chance I could be put back up to a higher priority, I don't want to get excited for no reason.

I asked the ACT if existing applicants were likely to be in the state migration plan, and this is their response:

Our understanding is that all current sponsorship applications will just continue on as usual and we are hoping that DIAC will move those current ones up the processing priority queue to level 2 – however this has not been confirmed by DIAC as yet. The ACT Government will honour all existing sponsorship applications. We cannot have guarantee what DIAC will do and you will need to contact them for clarification on this.

We have not as yet formulated a new State Migration Plan, however we do not foresee major changes to our list as the we have already “jumped ahead of the game” here by devising our own “quota” list. The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes.

Hi,

I'm confused by what the ACT have said.

I thought their Baseline List contained the occupations in demand in ACT. Then, their Quota List contained a list of other "off-list" (less demanded) occupations which have limited sponsorships available.

Surely then, they would use their Baseline List for their State Migration Plan and NOT their Quota List.

The quote you've included from ACT says "The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes". Do you think they meant to say "BASELINE"??

I'm confused!

Sounds good that they think they are ahead of the game. Hopefully that means they'll get the Minister's approval sooner than July.

Michael.

Hi,

I'm confused by what the ACT have said.

I thought their Baseline List contained the occupations in demand in ACT. Then, their Quota List contained a list of other "off-list" (less demanded) occupations which have limited sponsorships available.

Surely then, they would use their Baseline List for their State Migration Plan and NOT their Quota List.

The quote you've included from ACT says "The new State Migration Plan will in essence be our current quota list with minor (if any) changes". Do you think they meant to say "BASELINE"??

I'm confused!

Sounds good that they think they are ahead of the game. Hopefully that means they'll get the Minister's approval sooner than July.

Michael.

I have emailed ACT for clarification. I will let you all know as soon as I get a response.

I infer that the ACT Baseline + Offlist will be the State Migration programme list, the quota ACT is reeferring to is the positions open or closed for each item on the list, so basically ACT has capped the state nominations on each skill level and have declared the open / closed/limited ss available is the quota- This is my inference from the quote

I infer that the ACT Baseline + Offlist will be the State Migration programme list, the quota ACT is reeferring to is the positions open or closed for each item on the list, so basically ACT has capped the state nominations on each skill level and have declared the open / closed/limited ss available is the quota- This is my inference from the quote

Hi,

I thought the Baseline List contained completely different occupations to the Quota List. The Baseline List being the 'most demanded' occupations and the Quota List containing occupations with a limited number of places available. I might be wrong?

Michael.

Guest garynhelen

Wondering whether we should go for ACT SS as 'off list' as they still got places left for my OH occupation. Or do we wait till July to see what happens then. We really wanted to go to WA, but they ran out of off list places. Just wish there was more clarity on the SMP.

Dilemma!!

Yes, that is my thought too. But best to get them to clarify. I haven't heard back yet.

Wondering whether we should go for ACT SS as 'off list' as they still got places left for my OH occupation. Or do we wait till July to see what happens then. We really wanted to go to WA, but they ran out of off list places. Just wish there was more clarity on the SMP.

Dilemma!!

If you don't have SS then I would apply for it. This is the only way to get moved up the priority list. If you are not CSL, and not SS, then the wait is going to be long. Also, I fear that if your SS remains in priority 5 and not bumped to priority 2 then the wait will also be long. I think the wait though for SS with ACT will be 3-4 month if you are converting from 175 to 176. They mention that you need to contact their office if you are applying for 'off-list' so you can probably ask them about current processing times too.

Also, one thing that is not clear yet is whether or not the 'off-list' would be submitted as their SMP, or if it will only be the baseline occupations they submit to DIAC.

Guest garynhelen
If you don't have SS then I would apply for it. This is the only way to get moved up the priority list. If you are not CSL, and not SS, then the wait is going to be long. Also, I fear that if your SS remains in priority 5 and not bumped to priority 2 then the wait will also be long. I think the wait though for SS with ACT will be 3-4 month if you are converting from 175 to 176. They mention that you need to contact their office if you are applying for 'off-list' so you can probably ask them about current processing times too.

Also, one thing that is not clear yet is whether or not the 'off-list' would be submitted as their SMP, or if it will only be the baseline occupations they submit to DIAC.

I guess we'd still be better off with SS even if 'off list' isn't part of the SMP. Just not sure whether to wait for July and try again with WA. Risk is that they wont have any new off list places granted by DIAC.

If it's confirmed that ACT will include 'off list as part of their SMP, then it's definitely worth going for SS with ACT to get to cat 2!

Guest archisami

HI,

I am the new member who has common worries like you,specially the ACT applicants.

I read all the posts and now looking forward for matjones's email response from ACT about clarifying the correct SMP list:Baseline or Quota?

HI,

I am the new member who has common worries like you,specially the ACT applicants.

I read all the posts and now looking forward for matjones's email response from ACT about clarifying the correct SMP list:Baseline or Quota?

The more I look at it, the more I feel that they will submit the baseline list. These ARE the in demand occupations. The off-list quota is just that, off-list.. if they submit this, then technically they are saying ALL occupations are on the SMP. Which surely would not fly with DIAC. The off-list quota is limited to 500 per year, and can be from ANY profession.

This is probably bad news for those people who are SS, off-list, and they may remain in Priority 5. Pure speculation of course.

Still waiting for a response from ACT. They are closed for the weekend, so will hopefully get a response Monday.

Guest archisami

Thank you for the quick reply,

I had such a logical conclusion before their response to Wannabeoz enquiry!!

By the way,we are all looking for your response.

The more I look at it, the more I feel that they will submit the baseline list. These ARE the in demand occupations. The off-list quota is just that, off-list.. if they submit this, then technically they are saying ALL occupations are on the SMP. Which surely would not fly with DIAC. The off-list quota is limited to 500 per year, and can be from ANY profession.

This is probably bad news for those people who are SS, off-list, and they may remain in Priority 5. Pure speculation of course.

Still waiting for a response from ACT. They are closed for the weekend, so will hopefully get a response Monday.

I reckon if all the states just submit their current occupation lists to DIAC then they will be rejected. DIAC will surely be looking for a subset of occupations that are 'the most demanded'. From what I gather, ACT are the only state that have a 'two-tier' list already - 'Baseline and Quota'. If ACT are smart, they will get their list in before the other states, so the ACT Cat 5's go to Cat 2 ahead of everyone else and start getting processed. Time will tell I guess.

Michael.

Archived