New MODL being released on Mon 8 Feb 2010

Guest Migration Help

Guest scubabud

I also hope that the ss applications get pushed through as hate the thought of having to face approx 3 yr wait, lets just hope my skill is still on the new modl!!!!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh great. We only lodged our visa application last night (175 CSL) after much deliberation - we're getting married in June and the decision to put £1,500 into applying for a visa instead of the wedding was a big one..... with me mostly arguing no changes affecting us were made on 1 Jan so the goal posts weren't going to move for a while..... how wrong I was.

OH is not going to be a happy bunny :no:

Alcohol does sound a very good idea......

According to the Minister of Immigration a new MODL will be annnounced on Monday as well as a number of other changes to both the General Skilled Migration programme as well as the temporary business sponsored 457 visa.

SOURCE

Regards

Well, this is at last something came out with bang from DIAC. Well, I do not know how will I spend my weekend? I went through so many changes till date from DIAC but nothing for old applicants like us. Today, when I shared this news with my family. They had only one answer i.e. there will not be anything for the applicants like us. We are waiting since Aug 2007 and I do not know what will these changes are there on the table for us. Well ,guys, I am fed up with waiting .........Please somebody tell me is there anything in the store for us?

Waiting for the MONDAY .....................How will they changes MODL. I know the people are waiting in the category 6(i) Family sponsored with MODL will be waiting this time very anxiously.

Guest Louise1971

Judging by previous posts and news from DIAC, they have been bombarded by students going over to study for a variety of courses including Hairdressing and cooking etc with the carrot of a route straight to a PR visa at the end of the course.

From what I can gather they have had cases of these students not working in the trades they have studied, and with a few untoward colleges springing up over the past few years DIAC have been bombarded with post course student PR applications, hence the push to cut the link between the 2. (only my opinion).

I do hope it is good news for all us tradies who have been in the system over 2 years, so strap yourself and and hold on for tthe ride, good luck to everyone.

As has been mentioned many a time on here I think it time for a little drink!! See you all monday

Judging by previous posts and news from DIAC, they have been bombarded by students going over to study for a variety of courses including Hairdressing and cooking etc with the carrot of a route straight to a PR visa at the end of the course.

From what I can gather they have had cases of these students not working in the trades they have studied, and with a few untoward colleges springing up over the past few years DIAC have been bombarded with post course student PR applications, hence the push to cut the link between the 2. (only my opinion).

I do hope it is good news for all us tradies who have been in the system over 2 years, so strap yourself and and hold on for tthe ride, good luck to everyone.

As has been mentioned many a time on here I think it time for a little drink!! See you all monday

Yes, I think priority should be given to those with work experience, and not those who just graduated from sham Aussie trade schools.

oooohkay.....I have read and re read that article and admit when I saw this thread my stomach churned in dread... but this paragraph from the article gives me some hope for Cat 5 applicants... maybe I am reading it wrong....but

In private discussions, immigration officials have said the government would support changes that place a greater focus on employer-sponsored visas, and give state governments power to import workers under state sponsorship visas.

So...we know that after the Sept 23 changes some of the states (particularly WA if what we've been told is correct) kicked off (so to speak) at the changes. The changes had little impact on some states, but it seems that WA is feeling the impact of the changes alot, seeing a massive surge in applications for SS (given that the processing have shot up from a few weeks to 16 to over 27 in a a few short months)... however grant as many SS as they like, it doesn't mean they will get their warmly welcomed immigrants into Oz any sooner because DIAC aren't processing the applications.... so I digressed there slightly - back to the point...: the way I am choosing to interpret (ever the optimist) that statement above; is that the Government are LISTENING to the needs of the states and will be granting them more powers to get the immigrants they need in the HERE and NOW and that this to all extents and purposes could mean the faster processing of much needed trades and skills.

I kinda see this a potential (?) scrapping of the CSL and simply a refinement of the overall list, with a lower number of points being given to the less in demand skills than that say of an IT Programmer or a Carpenter or Welder or Brickie.... so the way to define the priority of an application is based simply on the number of points the whole application generated....

And yeah I am possibly, probably way off the mark...but as a born worrier I am attempting to give myself POSITIVE thoughts over the weekend instead of worrying myself silly over something I have no control over lol!!!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

George Lombard told me some time ago that if someone applies for a visa and his occupation is on the MODL at the time of the application, this person will NOT lose any Points if his occupation is later removed from the MODL before the visa is granted.

So for any existing applicants who are worrying about their Points, please don't worry about this. According to George, MODL points are protected by a special legislative provision and I am 100% certain that George is right about this.

Apart from this, I am not going to speculate about the article in the Age, which is a respected Aussie newspaper, I am told.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Magnetic6

Good grief this visa process is like being in some weird gameshow or soap opera! I've even started grinding my bloody teeth.

Good luck everybody, not that luck should come into it but this is Australian immigration policy we're talking about...it's like a game of chance.

The staff at DIAC mustn't know if they're coming or going, what an organisation to have to work for!

Well it seems everyone is on tender hooks waiting for the weekend to pass and finding out what Monday brings, I know I am...

Good luck everyone, I hope it brings us some good news for a change...

Lets hope we don't all pile onto PiO Monday morning and crash the site with an overload!!!:laugh: Do we have someone on standby in case this happens???:laugh:

Tasha x

Folks, all we do now is just speculating. Indeed nothing obvious is in this news except "significant policy reforms". Let's hope for the better but don't waste your energy for nothing.

We've already come through so many "minor changes" that I cannot even guess what the current minister might name as "significant". Mars people will be given the highest priority? Or should we all have 10 years of working experience to apply just for Holiday visa? "He" knows.

Nevertheless, I think the worst, at least for SS applicants, is over. The states are not silly and they can decide themselves who and when they want to invite. And the minister also cannot just ignore them. He doesn't have the monopoly for univers consciousness.

the Government are LISTENING to the needs of the states and will be granting them more powers to get the immigrants they need in the HERE and NOW and that this to all extents and purposes could mean the faster processing of much needed trades and skills.

Bugger! I think I'm between a rock and a hard place. I too sort of interpreted it as SS could be higher priority again. However, the downside is that my occupation is a college lecturer. So even if I can now get there quicker than the three years, there may not be any jobs for me to go to because of the whole student visa issue!

Bugger again!

Australia is experiencing a skills shortage with the oversupply of workers falling from 45,000 to 17,000, the latest Clarius Skills Index has revealed.

The shortage is greatest for professionals in the building and engineering, computing and health sectors, while demand is also outstripping supply for jobs for chefs, metal workers, wood workers and hairdressers.

Clarius claimed the shortage is being exacerbated by the aging population, and that despite the skills shortage being put on the backburner for the past year, the problem will be a major one during the next 12 months.

"The skills shortage we were in the midst of 18 months ago will be worsened as demand for talent will again outweigh supply for skilled labour," the report stated.

Chefs are currently in highest demand, topping the list for the past six months with demand for 67,000 chefs outstripping the current workforce of 63,000, while wood tradespersons and metal tradespersons round out the top three.

The remaining occupations in highest demand are building and engineering professionals, hairdressers, food tradespersons, health professionals, building and engineering associate professionals, automotive tradespersons and computing professionals.

Complete report: http://www.clarius.com.au/PDF/Clarius%20Skills%20Index_December%202009%20Quarter.pdf

I'm unsure if this can be related to the new MODL, but for those who want to speculate, check out page 11. Chefs, Hairdressers and Tradies are still on the top-10 shortage list.

Guest The Whalley Rangers

I got it! Their plan to boost their economy is to wait for people to apply for visas, collect our fees, ask us for medicals, make loads of changes that mess with our lives, minds, and emotions, resulting in us all all getting hooked on prescription drugs, alcohol, comfort eating, or have nervous breakdowns. When we have to re-do our medicals and fail!

Drink responsibly, take some exercise, and try not to worry.

Good luck to you all, and join me in thinking happy thoughts!!!

I don't understand, I am no longer on the CSL(PLUMBER), but I got the VIC state sponsor within a couple of weeks (and i still moaned about that), so I take that as VIC want me but DIAC at the moment are saying no, so does everyone think then all states will have more of a say. If so that would be good news for all of PIO.

I know that nothing has been released yet so know one can really answer, just trying to be positive.

Reading between the lines - this article sounds like even worse news for unsponsored and family sponsored applicants - and if it's actually an amendment to the MODL then that's a signal that the "future skills list" is still ages away.

For the 457 program it's hard to see how they could reverse the changes without creating chaos. Perhaps that's the idea.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers,

George Lombard

Reading between the lines again from the article:

...and give state governments power to import workers under state sponsorship visas.

George, what is your take on that statement. Giving state governments 'power'.... thats quite a bold statement. Could states influence the processing order by flagging particular applications as priority? Or maybe state issuing the visas themselves? One could argue however that states already have power to import workers as they currently have the SS process.

of course, we could wait until monday to find out, but then wheres the fun in that :D

Hi MT,

I think it involves giving something back to the states who were, to say the least, a little disappointed by the 23 September announcement. And good politics in an election year to blame the states if things go wrong - quite the poisoned chalice.

However, whatever they do in skilled migration they can't get the elephant of a 3-5 year wait out of the room - so for everyone who wins on Monday there'll be two people who lose.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Migration Help
.....to do anything drastic during election year.

George is spot on with his summation.

What adds further dynamite to this mix as matjones points out is 'Election Year' .

You also need to include the rise of rampant "Trade Unionism" around the country and how beholden the current government is to union demands.

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath

Thank you for the info, Sheelagh.

I wrote to the Min recently about the fact that despite his Dept's claims to the contrary, the CSL does not reflect Australia's real workforce needs. I included in the letter, examples of discrepancies, to demonstrate my point.

I received the standard Ministerial response "assuring" me that the CSL did, in fact, represent skills shortages around Australia.

I threw the letter out.

Hopefully, the Govt will use Monday's announcement as a measure to give some priority back to State Sponsored applicants and loosen up the stringent requirements that have turned many employers away from acting as s/c 457 sponsors.

Does anyone else see the irony of Evans, as the leader - supposedly by example - of a bureaucracy with a slogan of "People our Business", taking his advisors' advice to make the initial announcement to a group of unionists, business organisations and business leaders?

What happened to the "people" that DIAC trumpets are its business - the hundreds of thousands of applicants that are now having to get through another anxious weekend, wondering if their lives and plans for the future are going to be turned around again, by yet another DIAC policy change.

I just hope that DIAC has learned from the 23 September fiasco and, this time, thought strategically, compassionately and intelligently about its next step - no more knee jerk reactions please, Senator. They do you and your team no credit.

I wrote to the Min recently about the fact that despite his Dept's claims to the contrary, the CSL does not reflect Australia's real workforce needs. I included in the letter, examples of discrepancies, to demonstrate my point.

Just curious, i have no fixed opinion on this, but if more control is given to states, do you think that the states actually have access to enough information and skilled staff to effectively determine the needs within the states. What makes them a better judge than DIAC for determining what is and isn't in demand?

For my own selfish reasons, i hope that all State Sponsorship applicants get pushed up in priority above CSL applicants. But this approach only works if the states really know whats best vs the DIAC CSL.

Guest Migration Help

Well said Susan.

Sublime irony indeed from our Minister. What a way (and time) to make such an announcement. Nothing yet on DIAC's website. Nothing on the Minister's website either! A calculated media release if ever there was one. "People our Business" indeed! If DIAC were a private enterprise they would have gone broke years ago just on their lack of customer service alone.

Matjones, the states actually have excellent intel on what occupations are in demand in their respective state. DIAC look at migration from a Federal level however. So if we have asphalt workers who are unemployed in Tasmania and a dire lack of such workers in WA (which is the state of affairs at the moment) WA are unable to sponsor these workers from overseas. They have to get them first from other parts of the country. Which makes it difficult when people do not want to move. Or makes no business sense if the only option is to pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to 'entice' them to move (as one of our local trade unionists recently suggested local WA businesses do to solve the problem).

Having said that the states are pushing for more say in the types of workers they can sponsor from overseas but at the end of the day, the Commonwealth decides what is good for the whole country. Their thinking will be revealed on Monday!

Archived