Job situation in UK

Guest SophieKin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

I have read in the news that there is a record 48,000 house reposessions in the the uk in the last year, thats untold misery for so many families and a Labour MP who fiddled his expenses thinks its a good thing. Why is this happening when there are jobs available in the uk, i think its because the jobs situation is chronic and the jobs that anyone is getting at the moment are few and far between and the wages and conditions are not really worth having unless your desperate and here in the uk millions of unemployed people are desperate and alot of them are losing their homes. Is it the same in Australia are house reposessions at record levels and making headline news.

jim

Can't speak for the whole of Aus but Perth & WA is booming again at the moment. There are a few big projects getting underway (check out gorgon gas project for one).

The forecast is a shortage of just about every skilled labour personnel you can mention. Good for my son as he is just about to finish his electrical apprenticeship.

Unskilled labourers have recently cut a deal with Woodside (i think) for $150,000 per annum. Sounds great I know but these are fly in fly out positions 28 on 9 off 12 hour working days. It's hot and dusty up there too. A great job for young guys who are trying to save some money though.

I thought this was interesting, we always hear about how bad the job situation is in the UK but it is only locally bad in some areas which pushes up the overall average. Most places unemployment is around 2 or 3%

BBC News - Unemployment in graphics

I disagree with your figures it is more like 4 to 5 % unemployment.

It is my understanding that a person can only claim jobseekers allowance for 182 days

So any person who has the misfortune to be unemployed for more than 6 months are not included in the JOBLESSNESS DATA.

The number of unemployed is the red line on the graph and not the blue line on the graph.

Also I am not sure if people who are claiming invalidaty benefit are classed as unemployed?

Guest chris955

I'm not sure if you saw the map of the UK on that page, it takes a little while to load but shows unemployment % for each area if you move the mouse over the map. The majority of areas are around 2 to 3 or maybe 3.5% and I assume unemployment blackspots push the overall figure up ?

Yes I think it's the same as here where those on disability aren't included in the figures.

I'm not sure if you saw the map of the UK on that page, it takes a little while to load but shows unemployment % for each area if you move the mouse over the map. The majority of areas are around 2 to 3 or maybe 3.5% and I assume unemployment blackspots push the overall figure up ?

Yes I think it's the same as here where those on disability aren't included in the figures.

The picture of U.K did not appear when I used safari had a look using Internet explorer the picture of the U.K now loads ok.

Example: Hemel Hempstead

From the picture of the U.K the fig 2251 = 3.8%

From jsa_figures.xls spread sheet those claiming job seekers allowance 2251 =3.8%

Just noticed the title underneath the picture is Joblessness is mapped by Westminster constituency boundaries.

I am also researching going back home to the UK. I have been on many job site adds and there seems to be a HUGE amount more in the UK in my field than there is here..... if only I was in London NOW!!!!! In a nut shell, folk employ their own kind in the first instance down here.... No I am not prepared to stack shelves, wait tables, bar tend etc etc... I did that as a backpacker 12 years ago. I am a professional now and if i can not get a professional position here, I'm off back home. I no longer want to be here bad enough to take a poorly paid mundane job just to get by. Personally, I was never affected by the recession before I came out here.... wish I had stayed put now.

I am also researching going back home to the UK. I have been on many job site adds and there seems to be a HUGE amount more in the UK in my field than there is here..... if only I was in London NOW!!!!! In a nut shell, folk employ their own kind in the first instance down here.... No I am not prepared to stack shelves, wait tables, bar tend etc etc... I did that as a backpacker 12 years ago. I am a professional now and if i can not get a professional position here, I'm off back home. I no longer want to be here bad enough to take a poorly paid mundane job just to get by. Personally, I was never affected by the recession before I came out here.... wish I had stayed put now.

Out of interest roughly what profession are you in, I ask because I'm in IT and hoping to head to Melbourne.

Thanks!

Hi

This is mainly aimed at people in the UK

Am considering moving back and have heard the UK in coming out of recession but has this had any effect on jobs. In particular in the IT industry?

Thanks

Sophie , you want an honest answer ?

Iam in the U.k , with no axe to grind either way.

I thought we ( the UK ) was coming out of this blip, but now i dont think so .

Growth areas are patchy.

Like the U.S , we are bobbling along the floor .

Stay where you are ,at least for the time being

Guest Benchola
Hi

This is mainly aimed at people in the UK

Am considering moving back and have heard the UK in coming out of recession but has this had any effect on jobs. In particular in the IT industry?

Thanks

Haven't read all the responses so this may have been coming.

The UK economy is now on a more upward turn, but this doesn't necessarily mean that things are going to improve over night. Technically, we are coming out of recession (GDP growth and all that bollocks), but realistically the UK economy will be at a low ebb for at least the next 12 months.

Whilst many firms are now seeing work and productivity increase, they are still bidding at lower margins (lower than compared to two years ago). This means that many (with the exceptional few) will not be looking to recruit for at least another 6-12 months until they see how the economy reacts to a potential change in government. Rumours indicate that VAT will be increased to pay off the national deficit and that public funding will be cut further - this all points to a 'double dip' which may drag the UK economy further back into recession if these things come to fruition.

This may sound very doom and gloom - but that's because it is!

Sophie , you want an honest answer ?

Iam in the U.k , with no axe to grind either way.

I thought we ( the UK ) was coming out of this blip, but now i dont think so .

Growth areas are patchy.

Like the U.S , we are bobbling along the floor .

Stay where you are ,at least for the time being

Not from the point i look from things are looking up.

I work on a helpline giving employment law advice and I can assure you that about 2 thirds of the calls we get are about Lay Off or redundancy, its certainly not picking up yet and even if it does the employers are not going to be re employing people until they are comfortable they are out of the woods.

The biggest hit seem to be the building profession,hairdressers,haulage,retail staff and higher management and sales staff. Terrible.

I work on a helpline giving employment law advice and I can assure you that about 2 thirds of the calls we get are about Lay Off or redundancy, its certainly not picking up yet and even if it does the employers are not going to be re employing people until they are comfortable they are out of the woods.

The biggest hit seem to be the building profession,hairdressers,haulage,retail staff and higher management and sales staff. Terrible.

I agree the IT job market is very weak in the UK, by far the worst I've known since starting in 1986. There are small signs of improvement over last year which was terrible, but also a large number of jobs, especially technical ones are being "best shored", i.e. moved to countries with lower incomes. At the moment this seems to be mainly at entry level but most companies I've spoken to plan to extend it and grow their numbers of offshore workers and their skill levels.

To research vacancies and average pay levels for a particular IT skill this site is useful IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Job Market

Guest Rob c
Haven't read all the responses so this may have been coming.

The UK economy is now on a more upward turn, but this doesn't necessarily mean that things are going to improve over night. Technically, we are coming out of recession (GDP growth and all that bollocks), but realistically the UK economy will be at a low ebb for at least the next 12 months.

Whilst many firms are now seeing work and productivity increase, they are still bidding at lower margins (lower than compared to two years ago). This means that many (with the exceptional few) will not be looking to recruit for at least another 6-12 months until they see how the economy reacts to a potential change in government. Rumours indicate that VAT will be increased to pay off the national deficit and that public funding will be cut further - this all points to a 'double dip' which may drag the UK economy further back into recession if these things come to fruition.

This may sound very doom and gloom - but that's because it is!

Its ****ed, if your outside london,god help u, cus its all doom and gloom, and london is not great at all, stay put where you are!!

Who knows current job situation in the UK in telecommunication industry?

I mean e.g fiber optics, structured cabling, cctv, voice and data cabling, sat tv, aerials, etc.

Well we are in the middle of digital switch over at the moment so not sure but that could mean more work.

Archived