Job situation in UK

Guest SophieKin

Hi everyone,

this is a pointless discussion, because some say its bad in Australia for work and better in the uk, which quite frankly is barmy and its a waste of my time and energy posting on this subject because we all know the truth and no matter what anyone says won't make any difference. Before people say thats what PIO is about, different opinions and personal experiences, i am all for that, but - well i just can't be bothered repeating myself.

jim

I think you need to calm down, u aint even got here yet, and you are going on bout how great it all is,

i am just making a point that it is hard to find work here as well, and there are loadsa people out of work here aswell, and it is hard to get work and keep it here with out havin to "brown nose". just to add a little point. this particular forum is called "moving back to the Uk" so therefore the people browsing on this thread are probably thinkin whether to return to thier families after being out here fo a period of time and struggling like you guys are there. I dont go on the "emmigration" threads slating australia cause that would not be fair on people who are putting there lives on hold waiting for visas.( we have all been there too you know) i take my hat off to each and everyone of you for giving it a shot, and i think people need to give us returnees a bit of credit too. when we got here we found it hard getting work, and when we finally did there was the whole "poms coming and taking our jobs" senario and the brown nosing is DIRE. just ask Aldo he will confirm this too.

Yeh there is loadsa jobs advertised but hey u try getting one it aint as easy as 123.

I wish ya ll the luck in the world, but just one little tip. "dont 4get were you are from" and remember you are an englishman living in another country.

kind regards

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is this you taking your ball home Jim?:v_SPIN:

Please can you show me the source of your figures, because official jobless that I've seen is 2.5 million.

Which is quite a way apart from your figure.

How many people are working and paying tax in Britain, i would have said what 20m as a bit of a stab in the dark, if 2.5 m of those are unemployed thats a lot of people which ever way you slice it. You can sit there and say everything in the garden is rosy to your hearts content but you are just fooling yourself.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

i have withdrawn my posts and i am calm and i don't think its fantastic in Australia for jobs, but its desperate in the uk, its a FACT and if you you don't agree with me is of no interest to me, its a pointless discussion and trying to gang up on me for telling the truth is a waste of time, you are all wrong.

jim.

How many people are working and paying tax in Britain, i would have said what 20m as a bit of a stab in the dark, if 2.5 m of those are unemployed thats a lot of people which ever way you slice it. You can sit there and say everything in the garden is rosy to your hearts content but you are just fooling yourself.

I like to look at the positives.

Here's a breakdown of employed, unemployed, percentages, and patterns etc

UK unemployment

I'm not saying that it's utopia, but I think that Jim and yourself look to find a dark cloud inside any silver lining. :yes:

Hi everyone

i have withdrawn my posts and i am calm and i don't think its fantastic in Australia for jobs, but its desperate in the uk, its a FACT and if you you don't agree with me is of no interest to me, its a pointless discussion and trying to gang up on me for telling the truth is a waste of time, you are all wrong.

jim.

Hi Jim,

Nobody is ganging up on you, i just think those in oz are saying it is also hard over there, which is fair comment. I have to agree though with all you say re British employment.

Guest scotty j

I am in the building trade in the uk and have been made redundant twice by the same company in the past 18 months despite my supervisor telling me i am one of the best 3 tapers in my company out of a possible 100 or so other workers, after lay off and redundancys my ex company has only 20 or so tapers and its not nice to think im out of work and didnt deserve to be, they is even guys there who have served less years than me. Despite having a 4 week old baby they decided to "let me go". my supervisor who is a decent bloke did tell me that despite his best arguments they where not going to keep me on, basically he said the top and bottom of it is that you have not kissed the right asses in the head office, and thats it........ Now since this i have phoned so many companys i cant even remember how many the number now sits at, all i do know is despite sparkling references from on site foreman, NVQs City and Guilds, and 12 years experiance no body seems to be hiring up here in the north of England (or other places i have contacted in the uk), one thing i do is the building trade in England is smack bang in the middle of crisis, and despite what the government say, in my opinion we are still very much in a recession.

i guess a recession is a pretty personal thing , 12 months ago my own situation was dire but by april i'd started to get really busy ,but i was having to travel to birmingham, coventry and bedford . i knew lads who refused to travel which i didn't understand , so they got no work . my recession ended in may when i was fully booked and even doing 7 days a week which i did for the 10 weeks till christmas . i'm now stacked out and in beds, northants and mk the major house builders are going mad , new sites opening every month . the subby ,s i work for have stopped pricing jobs now and are turning work down but it sounds like a very different story in other parts of the country . i,ve had job offers in oz through enquiring about work in the areas of rugby league clubs that i've emailed about coaching roles . but i'd drive a taxi or work in a coffee shop or pub till i found something ,any where you can chat, meet locals and promote yourself . people are a lot more likely to employ or recomend someone they know than someone who sends an email with a cv or a phonecall . i also went round agency's with my wife in oz on my last visit and were told there plenty of jobs and the rates weren't too bad either. and builders weren't paid too much before paulv its just the great capitilist supply and demand system :laugh:

Guest Midlanders

Hi

I was made redundant in Dec after 16 years working for one of the top 30 ftse companies in the uk who are still making massive profits as a service manager. The west midlands has been very hard hit during this recession and after going to sign on over the last 6 weeks it brings it to home the only people who have secure jobs at the moment are the ones working in the job centre. For anyone who has not gone into one lately it is totally eye opening to see how many people are signing on within and it has scared me to death.

My OH has also found it really difficult to find work during the last few months and as one pio said carpenters and other tradies are being offered minimum wages which is a total disgrace. Just look at the jobs that are advertised on the net in some areas...... I'm sure other tradies who have done several years apprentiships and many years of work, plus gained their qualifications would take offence of a previous poster writing "the could of been overpayed to begin with" WHAT A CHEEK I THINK

I presume he was not one of these hardworking men who had been offered such a pittance.... we all have families and homes to keep and one should not be slatted by the fact that they dont work in an office environment. I think they are talking out of his ar....se

Whether you have a degree and studies etc and it has taken 3 years to get it....... the situation is no different for tradies..... it takes years for them to gain full experience and things are not great here at the moment.

Hi

I was made redundant in Dec after 16 years working for one of the top 30 ftse companies in the uk who are still making massive profits as a service manager. The west midlands has been very hard hit during this recession and after going to sign on over the last 6 weeks it brings it to home the only people who have secure jobs at the moment are the ones working in the job centre. For anyone who has not gone into one lately it is totally eye opening to see how many people are signing on within and it has scared me to death.

My OH has also found it really difficult to find work during the last few months and as one pio said carpenters and other tradies are being offered minimum wages which is a total disgrace. Just look at the jobs that are advertised on the net in some areas...... I'm sure other tradies who have done several years apprentiships and many years of work, plus gained their qualifications would take offence of a previous poster writing "the could of been overpayed to begin with" WHAT A CHEEK I THINK

I presume he was not one of these hardworking men who had been offered such a pittance.... we all have families and homes to keep and one should not be slatted by the fact that they dont work in an office environment. I think they are talking out of his ar....se

Whether you have a degree and studies etc and it has taken 3 years to get it....... the situation is no different for tradies..... it takes years for them to gain full experience and things are not great here at the moment.

top bloke ! your elligible for 10% discount on any carpentry work ! when i was struggling 12 months ago i joined a job seekers website and received vacancies for carpenters for as little as £13000 salaries ! i carry about £6000 worth of kit plus my van , to pay for all that is nearly two years work at those rates ! it does amaze me though having to travel to places that have plenty pf unemployed workers . i was in chelmsley and smiths wood for two days this week and there must be local guys who are crying out for work

Hi

" overpaid to begin with "

That was Paulv who most certainly is not a tradesperson, i think he writes papers on things like post modern conditions and important stuff like that!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Jim,

Nobody is ganging up on you, i just think those in oz are saying it is also hard over there, which is fair comment. I have to agree though with all you say re British employment.

Hi Andy and cheers for that,

it doesn't bother me if they try to gang up on me i can take it, i just don't like it when people know they are wrong and just try to snipe and have a dig at someone, comments like taking your ball home and throwing your dummy out its pathetic when they know they have lost the argument and its a waste of time with me. I withdrew my posts because i just can't be ar-ed with this uk versus OZ jobs thing its just a non starter and its all been said before.

jim.:biggrin:

it doesn't bother me if they try to gang up on me i can take it, i just don't like it when people know they are wrong and just try to snipe and have a dig at someone, comments like taking your ball home and throwing your dummy out its pathetic when they know they have lost the argument and its a waste of time with me. I withdrew my posts because i just can't be ar-ed with this uk versus OZ jobs thing its just a non starter and its all been said before.

Alright Jim,

Having read a lot of your posts its pretty clear you are disillusioned with the UK as am i, i just worry about the outlook for my kids what with lack of jobs and debt, its not much of a way to start there working lives which are only a few years away.

Anyway, i am off out for a skinful at a mates birthday party, so have a good evening mate and will catch you later!:yes:

Jim, there was no argument.

Just different views and opinions from different posters.

And you did, quite literally, spit out ya dummy.:arghh:

Now, as for me being misquoted, I asked a question about tradesmen possibly overcharging previously, not about them being overpaid.

MickyB, like you say this is the beauty of the capitalist system, when demand outstrips supply, make hay while the sun shines.

However, when the rain clouds move in you need to have Plan B, and I don't think that blaming the country, the government, the unemployed, single mothers, immigrants, next doors dog or whoever, solves anything.

It's all cyclical and just as Labour inherited an economy on an upward trajectory in 1997, the Conservatives may do this time.

Guest pegasus 90
Hi everyone

jim.

Hi Jim,

I don't think anyone is trying to 'gang up' on you, and believe me we have all been where you are: life on hold anxious for a visa, anxious about our new life overseas, and I don't think anyone would truthfully want to crush your excitement about your future. It is a wonderfully exciting & scary time we have all lived through & I for one would not have allowed anyone to talk me out of emigrating for one minute. However I think it is a good thing that you can get two sides of the story. When i emigrated 10 years ago there was no platform for me to hear both sides. One of the things you will come to find is that generally, you wont find much negative media about Oz either domestically or especially internationally; that's not to say bad things are not here; it's just that the Oz media are not like the British variants (rightly or wrongly). What Possie in brissie is really saying is that Australia is somewhat different to how it is portrayed in the U.K. it is hard to find work, yes it is difficult to get the same level of position or salary, no they don't care what you have done back home, and believe me if you are stuck at home unable to find work, depressed, blowing all your savings to survive; you wont give two hoots about the weather. The sun & beach does not compensate for everything.

Now please don't assume this is a negative Oz bashing post; I have done reasonably well here; came off the tools, got into a decent management role , decent salary etc etc so my situation is not an example of gloom & failure. We can't compare the two countries accurately but please don't ignore the other opinions as it will prepare you better for when you arrive. Having said that; all the best mate, I've has 10 good years here but it's just not for us 'forever'.

p90

I think it depends on the person and the occupation. It's too broad a generalisation to say everyone is being laid off and how bad it is. There are people being fired and hired all over the world. It's the nature of the beast, economy is dynamic not static. None of my mates who are working in Health and IT have complained or done any doom-mongering. My Brother who works in home maintenance is having trouble finding enough work to make ends meet.

It's all well and good to be a doom-monger, but making generalisations that don't effect everyone is a bit unfair. I work in Health, and like almost anywhere in the world, there is always a job in Health, be it aged care, nursing, doctors, allied health available, and you can pick and choose, even in the UK. Where niche professions are the opposite and are facing layoffs and difficulty finding work.

I won't ever buy in to the Oz vs. UK crap that is constantly plastered on these forums. As soon as someone starts touting how good or bad one is over the other, I usually stop reading right there. There is good and bad in all countries, and it's an individual thing how it effects everyone.

Generalisations are largely inaccurate.

Matt

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi

This is mainly aimed at people in the UK

Am considering moving back and have heard the UK in coming out of recession but has this had any effect on jobs. In particular in the IT industry?

Thanks

Hi sophie,

my advice is this, either secure a job before returning to the uk, or arrange a visit and pre-plan some job interviews while you are here, hopefully you will be lucky and secure a job that you want. If i was you i wouldn't just return thinking that you will get a job because the experts are saying that the uk is in the worst recession in living memory and it is a long way from coming out of it. Do not compare your situation in Australia to what it is like here in the uk, some will give you the impression it is no different, but if there are IT jobs where you are, it doesn't mean there are IT jobs going here in the uk. This isn't a uk versus Australia thread, its about you asking about jobs in the uk and at present things are dire. This is from the experts and not from me. Best of luck with what you do and i hope you get a good job.

jim:wink:

Guest StephenJones

to sophie... from someone stuck in the UK

Just one question?

WHY?

The job situation is rubbish, the Government have run the country into the ground...

ID Cards and all the intrusive databases that go with them are on the horizon.

Why the hell do you want to come back?

Guest tiemekanga

Hi there, I work in recruitment (not the IT sector I have to add) in Nottingham, East Midlands. The sectors I cover are food production and manufacturing, print finishing, logistics, warehousing and supervisory roles within the Industrial sectors. (not building). For the last 18 months I have been seeing on a regular basis, well qualified and skilled men and women desperately trying to find work within these industry sectors after being made redundant. A large majority of these people have had to take whatever work was available, sometimes taking minimum wage work in unskilled temporary positions just so that they had a job....and were taking some money home to their families. It would appear that the so called end to the recession in the UK is no where near finished if these people are anything to go by.

The demand for permanent jobs within these sectors has all but vanished and have has been replaced by short term temporary jobs instead. The employers within these sectors are preferring instead to hire temps to cover their production needs, as temps offer a more flexible work force and can easily be got rid of when no longer required. The employers also do not have to pay for holidays, sickness, breaks or maternity.

My advice would be to try to find a job before you arrive!!

Good Luck with everything.

to sophie... from somone stuck in the UK

Just one question?

WHY?

The job situation is rubbish, the Government have run the country into the ground...

Are you saying that the UK is a Nanny state Stephen?

Yes in some industries the job situation is not in a good way.

Thank goodness none of that will ever happen here :wink:

To be honest, I'd stay where you are for the moment. The job market in the UK is pretty dire. There are jobs out there, but the money they are offering is just meeting the minimum wage. About half of the people I know have either been put on a short working week or made redundant. 2 friends have been out of work for 8 months and they are really struggling to find employment.

It does take a while to get your jobseekers allowance, if you can get it at all, so if you do come back, make sure you have a good level of savings behind you. Property is expensive too and, depending on where you re-locate, you'll be looking at approx. £450.00 per month plus just to rent (Manchester/North West area). It will probably be considerably more the further South you travel.

On the bright side, because of the recession, supermarkets and high street shops (if they haven't already gone out of business) are battling it out with each other and groceries and clothes are quite cheap right now. I can do a weekly shop for 2 people and 2 dogs for about £70.00 (but then it's mostly vegan and vegetarian food - meat tends to be quite expensive in some places).

Cars, as always, are a rip off and petrol is selling at an average price of £1.12 per litre.

Crime is at a ridiculous level too and the criminals generally have more rights than their victims. The law abiding citizen can't do anything to protect themselves and, if they try, they're the ones that get arrested or retribution attacks. Every night on the news you hear about another teenager being shot or stabbed or another gang of teenagers killing somebody outside of their own house because they were trying to protect their property or family. Just take a look at the BBC News website.

The other posts on here are correct. The government has run the country into the ground. We're no longer Great Britain but now ****ty Britty. We are living in a nanny state where we're told by the politicians to "Hug a Hoodie" (they're the buggers who dress in their "black uniform" so they all look alike, cover their faces with hoods / baseball caps and scarves and cause most of the trouble) and it's becoming like little Islamabad (sorry for the racist comment, but it's true). The Eastern Europeans will work for a pittance so they're the preferred employee to save money, and all the illegal immigrants have to do is hold their hands out and say "Asylum". They get a house, benefits and the open invitation to bring the rest of their family into the country.

Good luck with your move home though, if you do decide to come back, we're trying to get out there. Shame we can't just swap places. One comes back to the UK, one is allowed from the UK into Oz. In a perferct world.

To be honest, I'd stay where you are for the moment. The job market in the UK is pretty dire. There are jobs out there, but the money they are offering is just meeting the minimum wage. About half of the people I know have either been put on a short working week or made redundant. 2 friends have been out of work for 8 months and they are really struggling to find employment.

It does take a while to get your jobseekers allowance, if you can get it at all, so if you do come back, make sure you have a good level of savings behind you. Property is expensive too and, depending on where you re-locate, you'll be looking at approx. £450.00 per month plus just to rent (Manchester/North West area). It will probably be considerably more the further South you travel.

On the bright side, because of the recession, supermarkets and high street shops (if they haven't already gone out of business) are battling it out with each other and groceries and clothes are quite cheap right now. I can do a weekly shop for 2 people and 2 dogs for about £70.00 (but then it's mostly vegan and vegetarian food - meat tends to be quite expensive in some places).

Cars, as always, are a rip off and petrol is selling at an average price of £1.12 per litre.

Crime is at a ridiculous level too and the criminals generally have more rights than their victims. The law abiding citizen can't do anything to protect themselves and, if they try, they're the ones that get arrested or retribution attacks. Every night on the news you hear about another teenager being shot or stabbed or another gang of teenagers killing somebody outside of their own house because they were trying to protect their property or family. Just take a look at the BBC News website.

The other posts on here are correct. The government has run the country into the ground. We're no longer Great Britain but now ****ty Britty. We are living in a nanny state where we're told by the politicians to "Hug a Hoodie" (they're the buggers who dress in their "black uniform" so they all look alike, cover their faces with hoods / baseball caps and scarves and cause most of the trouble) and it's becoming like little Islamabad (sorry for the racist comment, but it's true). The Eastern Europeans will work for a pittance so they're the preferred employee to save money, and all the illegal immigrants have to do is hold their hands out and say "Asylum". They get a house, benefits and the open invitation to bring the rest of their family into the country.

Can you state facts about all this or the usual hearsay

Good luck with your move home though, if you do decide to come back, we're trying to get out there. Shame we can't just swap places. One comes back to the UK, one is allowed from the UK into Oz. In a perferct world.

All the statements you have just stated are the same in Australia fact, plus you have state laws and federal laws which screw you twice

Guest StephenJones
[/color]

Are you saying that the UK is a Nanny state Stephen?

Yes in some industries the job situation is not in a good way.

No.

I'm not saying it's a Nanny State, rather than it is on it's way (if Labour manage to regain power) to becoming the new East Germany and all that would entail.

Archived