Job situation in UK

Guest SophieKin

Guest SophieKin

Hi

This is mainly aimed at people in the UK

Am considering moving back and have heard the UK in coming out of recession but has this had any effect on jobs. In particular in the IT industry?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cazbeckham

Hi

My Nephew has just opted out of Uni in UK and cannot get a job doing anything as there are more people than jobs at present................... so even if UK is coming out of recession the interest rates are still bad and so is the job situation - all jobs. Sorry

Guest Guest31881
Hi

This is mainly aimed at people in the UK

Am considering moving back and have heard the UK in coming out of recession but has this had any effect on jobs. In particular in the IT industry?

Thanks

Hi,

I am not in UK but my kids are, My son lost his job and the only thing he could find was working in a 'care Home', my daughter has left university with a degree and cannot find work, she has tried for all sorts and because of her degree a lot tell her she is over qualified for the positions she has applied for. The jobs she wants, just does not seem to exist anymore. I do not know where you intend going but they live in the West Midlands. It may be different in other parts of the country.

Thier friend is in IT and managed to get a job after 6 months of looking.

Guest Toomers

The UK is as they say coming out of recession - however in my opinion the job situation will not change for quite a while, employers use their employees fears of having no job to make them do more work than they are paid for thus not needing or refusing to recruit the nessasary volume of staff.

Sounds synical I know but what buisness owner would not take the opportunity to keep their over heads down if the media created fear leads people to believe their job is not safe - they end up putting up with more Sh7t than before without moaning....

Hi,

I am not in UK but my kids are, My son lost his job and the only thing he could find was working in a 'care Home', my daughter has left university with a degree and cannot find work, she has tried for all sorts and because of her degree a lot tell her she is over qualified for the positions she has applied for. The jobs she wants, just does not seem to exist anymore. I do not know where you intend going but they live in the West Midlands. It may be different in other parts of the country.

Thier friend is in IT and managed to get a job after 6 months of looking.

We too are originally from the Midlands and it sounds like it is not the place to be at the moment. It is such a shame our home town of Coventry seems to be in such a state. I really hope it picks up for everyone.

At the risk of getting slated, it is a year of general election in the UK...

best of luck

Michelle

Guest Toomers
We too are originally from the Midlands and it sounds like it is not the place to be at the moment. It is such a shame our home town of Coventry seems to be in such a state. I really hope it picks up for everyone.

At the risk of getting slated, it is a year of general election in the UK...

best of luck

Michelle

But will putting another bunch of useless fraudsters in power make any differnace?? :arghh:

But will putting another bunch of useless fraudsters in power make any differnace?? :arghh:

Certainly won't but my point is they are going to build up any slight increase to say the UK is in recovery. I know that my friends and family certainly don't feel it is.

regards

Michelle

I must admit none of my friends in the UK have been affected by the 'recession', interest rates are incredibly low which makes things easier financially, it just seems to be life as usual.

Guest Guest31881
Certainly won't but my point is they are going to build up any slight increase to say the UK is in recovery. I know that my friends and family certainly don't feel it is.

regards

Michelle

At the moment we are in a situation that no one will invest in the UK because they know any policies made at the moment may be overturned in 3 months time, so there is no stability. Who ever wins the next election (and no i am not getting into that argument :biglaugh:), will be in power for 4 or 5 yrs, this will at least bring some form of stability and you may find that more investment may take place in the UK. This can only help any recovery that may be on the horizon.

I must admit none of my friends in the UK have been affected by the 'recession', interest rates are incredibly low which makes things easier financially, it just seems to be life as usual.

Dont know what line of work your friends are in but i know quite a few people in the IT industry who have lost there jobs, also the building industry is crippled and on its knees with all trades suffering it would seem all over the country. I dropped my lad off at football this morning and was talking to a guy who said that carpenters on a site down the road are working for as little as £60.00 a day, also i have had a rise in lads ringing me for work as have others so in my opinion we should all be worried as we are a long way from getting out of this mess!

Dont know what line of work your friends are in but i know quite a few people in the IT industry who have lost there jobs, also the building industry is crippled and on its knees with all trades suffering it would seem all over the country. I dropped my lad off at football this morning and was talking to a guy who said that carpenters on a site down the road are working for as little as £60.00 a day, also i have had a rise in lads ringing me for work as have others so in my opinion we should all be worried as we are a long way from getting out of this mess!

I have some friends in IT, they own their own companies and paint a different story to the ones given here.

As for builders, I heard a spokesman for house builders federation(?) stating that tradesmen had reduced prices by 25%. Which begs the question, were they just overcharging originally?

You could always retrain Andrew/Jim- apparently there's scope for a lot more Social Workers in the UK and Oz!

I have some friends in IT, they own their own companies and paint a different story to the ones given here.

As for builders, I heard a spokesman for house builders federation(?) stating that tradesmen had reduced prices by 25%. Which begs the question, were they just overcharging originally?

You could always retrain Andrew/Jim- apparently there's scope for a lot more Social Workers in the UK and Oz!

Paulv, take it from me that the building industry is on its knees in this country, i am seeing it get worse weekly with more and more trades with less and less work, this is being shown all over the country as well as where i live, folk are not spending there money on new houses and extensions because they are worried about there jobs and would rather keep there money in the bank.

Also, surley there are enough social workers in this country and i really cant see myself making a very good one!

Guest Pixie10

Hi my OH works in the IT sector- there have been major cuts and he was made redundant from a large and well known national company in September- he has not worked in IT since. No jobs around.

The recession has also lowered the wages massively so a £18,000-£20,000 job would be expecting 5 years experience and an MCSE. Not sure which sector of IT youre in but think long and hard before coming to UK to look for IT jobs- the recession is still going strong unfortunately, which is partly why we are heading to Oz!!

Sorry for the doom and gloom!! Goodluck x

Hi my OH works in the IT sector- there have been major cuts and he was made redundant from a large and well known national company in September- he has not worked in IT since. No jobs around.

The recession has also lowered the wages massively so a £18,000-£20,000 job would be expecting 5 years experience and an MCSE. Not sure which sector of IT youre in but think long and hard before coming to UK to look for IT jobs- the recession is still going strong unfortunately, which is partly why we are heading to Oz!!

Sorry for the doom and gloom!! Goodluck x

Hi Pixie, like i said earlier i have some friends in IT and some of them have been made redundant and its very difficult in that line of work to find alternative employment.

It must be really tough for you at the moment and i for one wish your husband all the best in finding a new job and then with your new life in oz.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

this is the good thing about PIO everyone on here knows just how bad it is for jobs in the UK but then one or two people will say it isn't, but no one believes them, but its their opinion. But coming back down from planet Zog, things are really desperate for jobs and this is as good a reason to emigrate to Australia as any.

jim

Hi everyone,

this is the good thing about PIO everyone on here knows just how bad it is for jobs in the UK but then one or two people will say it isn't, but no one believes them, but its their opinion. But coming back down from planet Zog, things are really desperate for jobs and this is as good a reason to emigrate to Australia as any.

jim

Please be aware that jobs are in great demand over here as well.

The oldgit

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Please be aware that jobs are in great demand over here as well.

The oldgit

Hi oldgit,

do you mean there are jobs in great demand as your post says, or that they aren't in great demand. Either way its massively better for jobs and careers in Australia than in the uk, plus you are living in the sun, blooming marvelous.

jim:wink:

Hi oldgit,

do you mean there are jobs in great demand as your post says, or that they aren't in great demand. Either way its massively better for jobs and careers in Australia than in the uk, plus you are living in the sun, blooming marvelous.

jim:wink:

It has taken me 9 months to get work that pays my bills. If anyone in the UK thinks there is a demand for labour out here they need to do a little more research.

Cheers

The oldgit

Guest Guest31881
It has taken me 9 months to get work that pays my bills. If anyone in the UK thinks there is a demand for labour out here they need to do a little more research.

Cheers

The oldgit

Its like the UK in respect, it depends what you occupation is, and where you live. It has taken my wife 6 months to get a job in Australia (she is an Aussie). But I also know people who have arrived and walked into a job. I do not think there is that much difference in that respect between UK and Australia. Just better weather and nicer surrounding to look at while you do the job hunting. best thing for anyone moving over is make sure they have plenty of funds to live on until they sort out employment and make sure the area you move to need your particular skills, and the ability to accept any job until the right one comes along.

As oldgit says(love that name, wish I had thought of it), do your homework.

Its like the UK in respect, it depends what you occupation is, and where you live. It has taken my wife 6 months to get a job in Australia (she is an Aussie). But I also know people who have arrived and walked into a job. I do not think there is that much difference in that respect between UK and Australia. Just better weather and nicer surrounding to look at while you do the job hunting. best thing for anyone moving over is make sure they have plenty of funds to live on until they sort out employment and make sure the area you move to need your particular skills, and the ability to accept any job until the right one comes along.

As oldgit says(love that name, wish I had thought of it), do your homework.

Well said. Night night all.

The oldgit

Cheers

The oldgit

I defo agree with ya there "old git" the jobs in Brissy are few and far between at the mo, it is so hard to even get an interview let alone a job, and for tradies in the uk they usually get work through "who ya know not what ya know" because they have lived and worked with the same guys for years and all help each other out, get over here mate and you are on ya own. it aint no bed of roses were the sun shines to make it grow and get more comfy. it is a long hard struggle, with rising interest rates, rising petrol prices and the price of groceries. "dont even go there". so as you say research is a must.

sorry if this sounds negative, but just a lickle reality check.

PS I forward apologise if i have burst anyones bubble.

cheers

Possie:dull:

Hi everyone,

this is a pointless discussion, because some say its bad in Australia for work and better in the uk, which quite frankly is barmy and its a waste of my time and energy posting on this subject because we all know the truth and no matter what anyone says won't make any difference. Before people say thats what PIO is about, different opinions and personal experiences, i am all for that, but - well i just can't be bothered repeating myself.

jim

is this you taking your ball home Jim?:v_SPIN:

Please can you show me the source of your figures, because official jobless that I've seen is 2.5 million.

Which is quite a way apart from your figure.

Guest Guest31881
Hi srp,

i don't want you to think that this is a personal attack on you, i know you are a nice person, but trying to compare the Australian jobs market to the UK, well- theres just no comparison at all and quite frankly i feel its an insult to all the millions of people out of work here and the countless untold misery of people sliding into crippling debt and losing there homes, this isn't a dig at you. Individual peoples experiences like yours and oldgit are worth mentioning and i know it will have been hard for you, but this is the norm in the uk and unless the reports are anything to go by in Australia, which are that they never went into recession and although they had a long period of jobs being tight and harder to get, it is far removed to the situation in the uk, where there are a million youths are out of work and 5 million on benefits, unable to get work. Things are DIRE here and its just so sad for so many. Do i think it is easy to get work in Australia, yes in some trades and no in others. Do i think its easy to get work in the UK, the simple answer is, No. Apart from a very small minority of jobs, the uk is in the grip of the worst economic employment crisis in living memory and to compare it with Australia, is simply impossible, they are a million miles apart.

jim

Hi Jim,

No I don’t take it as a go at me. We have our opinions and it would be boring if we did not. However I am not totally unaware of the situation in UK, I have only been here 7 months. I lost a business in UK because of recession, and I have two kids who have been out of work for 6 months and 12 months respectively. So I am aware of the situation. But I am also aware of the situation here and in places it is just as bad. Yes the unemployment figures have gone down, but so has the Full time employed figures. a lot of Australians are now working part time, because the hours were cut . That’s why I say it depends where you go and what your skill is. not everyone who gets here will find it easy to get a job. i would not want to put anyone off, coming here. I love it here and would not go back. I also worry that Australia has exited the recession to quickly and may go back, but only time will tell with that one.

I am sure Jim that if we don’t agree it will not end in a fight, we both respect each others opinions and can debate ideas, not like some i could mention :biggrin:

Archived