Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi all

A quick update on our progress.   We've found a tiny house to rent and are moving in next Monday.

Things I should have thought of earlier ... I should have had proof of earnings with me when we approached agents about renting. Photocopies of proof of identity would also have been useful. The agents we approached all wanted 100 points of proof of ID with 40 point for a driving licence 40 points for a passport and 20 points for various other things including a recent bank statement with your current address. We are staying with our daughter and have given her address for everything including Medicare which we have been told we can alter when we move into our own place. We went to our bank the day after we arrived and got them to print out a statement with our current address - statements self printed from the net are not always acceptable it seems.

We've been a bit slow registering for a tax number, we are getting on to that this week. But one thing we hadn't realised is that we need Medicare registration before we can file for tax so Medicare comes first ... Specially useful if you get flu the day after you arrive :-) 

We are in New South Wales so possibly the above is not the same in other states. Hope someone finds it useful.

Thanks for the info Fisher1, it all helps to prepare properly .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Annabel Lock said:

Thanks KpNuts!

I had a read through your posts in this thread and saw that you called Central link to follow up on your application around 6 weeks after you submitted it. So should we do the same if we don't hear anything from them after 6 weeks? Thanks again

When your CPV was lodged, Annabel Lock?

Kevin

Thanks KpNuts!
I had a read through your posts in this thread and saw that you called Central link to follow up on your application around 6 weeks after you submitted it. So should we do the same if we don't hear anything from them after 6 weeks? Thanks again

Hi Annabel
The forecast for Centrelink has recently been posted as a 3 month wait but as they don't provide any communication about receipt of paperwork, we decided to chase them. We gave it 6 weeks and my daughter spoke to someone in Canberra who was very helpful. Anyway, things seemed to move after the call and we deposited the AOS a couple of weeks later.

One point of interest, after depositing the AOS I sent copies of the deposit agreement, proof of payment receipt etc to IMMI but they STILL want a letter of acceptance from Centrelink. Apparently this will take another 2 weeks to receive arrggh.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 2

One piece of advice to folks on their way - even though I have been on a Visitors visa, it has been very useful to get my Aussie driving licence. Most authorities, and other agencies seem to rely on the driving licence as a good source of ID. It has helped us in home rental, Medicare and other occasions when you need to prove and address in AU. By law, you don't need one as a Visitor or for a period of time after getting PR but it's well worth it. I am in WA and took out a 5 year licence which worked out a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 3

Hi folks,

A little progress,

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 10 December 2014.

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kpnuts said:

One piece of advice to folks on their way - even though I have been on a Visitors visa, it has been very useful to get my Aussie driving licence. Most authorities, and other agencies seem to rely on the driving licence as a good source of ID. It has helped us in home rental, Medicare and other occasions when you need to prove and address in AU. By law, you don't need one as a Visitor or for a period of time after getting PR but it's well worth it. I am in WA and took out a 5 year licence which worked out a little cheaper.

Thank you for the information. What did you need to do the get your Aussie driving license?

14 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi All,

So we are looking at preparing for our medicals. In past posts I am sure I've seen comments about a clinic in Edinburgh that are really good and applicant friendly but I tracked back and can't seem to see anything?.   Has anyone commented on this or got information please?.

Also, what is the process , do we automatically have to provide medical background of our families and if so how deep? Or do they only ask for that in certain cases?

Any information would be helpful

Geoff

If you type in "immigration panel physicians" on border.gov website it gives you a list according to which part of UK 

only The Edinburgh Clinic 40 Colington Rd EH10 5BT

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

Good advice I think, but just want to add that here in NSW everyone has accepted our UK licence as ID without a problem. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. What did you need to do the get your Aussie driving license?

For WA - Firstly the application form and your UK licence. I supported ID with my passport, and EFTPOS bank cards and I think a bank statement with my AU address. They automatically give you basic car and motorcycle (if on your UK licence). Any other groups such as goods or large passenger transport are subject to a separate AU test.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2017 at 15:53, Kpnuts said:

Hey, Did they ask you to prove you had applied for a permanent visa? I am only on a 457 but really want a WA driving licence however been told I can't get one until I apply for a PR visa.