Guest guest36187

Thanks for the info on currency transfer, I have spoken to torfx today and They say I can transfer funds, even smaller amounts, with no charge to my Aus bank account. I have to sign on and look into it further. ( you know what they say about if it's too good to be true) to be fair they have been very good with other information and transactions. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AMP said:

Hi all.  I'm really taking the plunge now, house is going to be going on the market and once it is sold then I'm going to go for the 600 class visitor visa to tide me over until my 143 visa is procssed. Now having to therefore address all issues relating to me being in Oz on a "temporary" albeit long term basis.  My main income will be of UK source but I will have a little Australian source income from interest on my savings there.  I'm confused about the whole tax situation and now think I need some expert advice in this area.  Can anyone give me a contact please for someone who is totally au fait with both UK and Australian tax legislation?  

Many thanks in anticipation!

Hi AMP   We used Alan Collet for tax advice because he can advice on both the UK and the Australian system. Initial phone conversation without charge. He was quick and efficient and I believe that his information was accurate. Pleasant to deal with too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jellybean T said:

Hi Angela, We have our house on the market at the moment  hoping to be able to do the same as you, but will be heading out from Spain. Our lodgement date is the same as yours and we will be heading to Adelaide. Hope you don't mind me asking  how you managed to open an Australian bank account as we were told we could only do this when we had less that a year before our visa was granted?  Wishing you luck with  the house sale. Regards Shelagh 

Hi Jellybean      We also opened an account with Westpac, five years ago. I told them I had no intention of moving to Australia (at that time) and they were fine with that. We opened an account from the UK, dealing with their branch in London. It costs five dollars a month to keep the current account and I know some banks don't charge this. We have found the account easy to manage online - I gave them my UK mobile number when I opened the account and the code comes through here no problem. They recently offered a favourable exchange rate with no charges, so I tried them out, especially considering their offer to price match! I found it simpler to use than my former online currency trader and the rates were better. Very happy with them and the account has been super useful, particularly when we were paying for our visa last year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AMP said:

I used Smart currency which again gave very good rates, much better than a bank.   They didn't charge a transfer fee but it did go through an intermediate bank somewhere and they did add on a £25 fee, this being a standard fee, regardless of how much was being transferred (so not bad if £100K was transferred but awful for a small sum!).    The exchange rate improves according to the sum of money being transferred, so it's better not to transfer small amounts if you can avoid it.

You could also check out Transferwise, that's who my daughter uses for smallish amounts and she rates them very highly.  For larger amounts try OFX.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, that's broadly right.

Australia doesn't tax your UK pension income until you are a tax resident of Australia and your permanent residency visa is granted.

At that time there is a form to be completed by you, stamped by the ATO, and sent onto HMRC.

That done a NT (No Tax) PAYE Coding should be issued to the administrator of your pension.

The UK pension income from the time the pension is taxable in Australia is included on your Australian tax returns, with tax payable directly to the ATO.

It is possible you will enter the PAYG Instalment system in Australia too.

All of this derives from Article 17 of the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia:

Pensions (including government pensions) and annuities paid to a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State.

The temporary tax resident provisions mean that UK pension income received by tax residents of Australia who are temporary visa holders (eg 173s, Bridging Visa holders) is NOT taxable in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to contact me if you need any formal assistance.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, it really is great having your responses on this forum to help to guide us through everything.    There are still tax issues where I need clarification though so I will contact you by PM (sorry, but I tried this before and didn't get a response so I don't know what the problem was.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi Jellybean      We also opened an account with Westpac, five years ago. I told them I had no intention of moving to Australia (at that time) and they were fine with that. We opened an account from the UK, dealing with their branch in London. It costs five dollars a month to keep the current account and I know some banks don't charge this. We have found the account easy to manage online - I gave them my UK mobile number when I opened the account and the code comes through here no problem. They recently offered a favourable exchange rate with no charges, so I tried them out, especially considering their offer to price match! I found it simpler to use than my former online currency trader and the rates were better. Very happy with them and the account has been super useful, particularly when we were paying for our visa last year.

Thanks for all the info I'll try again when I go in November. This group is full of good information. 

On 24/04/2017 at 8:52 PM, Alan Collett said:

Yes, that's broadly right.

Australia doesn't tax your UK pension income until you are a tax resident of Australia and your permanent residency visa is granted.

At that time there is a form to be completed by you, stamped by the ATO, and sent onto HMRC.

That done a NT (No Tax) PAYE Coding should be issued to the administrator of your pension.

The UK pension income from the time the pension is taxable in Australia is included on your Australian tax returns, with tax payable directly to the ATO.

It is possible you will enter the PAYG Instalment system in Australia too.

All of this derives from Article 17 of the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia:

Pensions (including government pensions) and annuities paid to a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State.

The temporary tax resident provisions mean that UK pension income received by tax residents of Australia who are temporary visa holders (eg 173s, Bridging Visa holders) is NOT taxable in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to contact me if you need any formal assistance.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

i was very interested to read your reply as I am currently trying to working out when I became an Australian Tax resident. Your reply seems to suggest that you are a AU tax resident when you get your permanent visa but the ATO site seems to suggest that their definition of a tax resident has nothing to do with the rules applied by IMMI.

we left the UK on 30th June 2016 and my Uk accountant says that I am only liable for tax in the UK up to that date. We didn't get our 143 until 30th Nov 2016 and stayed in Oz and NZ on visitor visas. So my question to you is who do we pay tax to for the 5month period when we had left the Uk but were not permanent residents of OZ? Having read through the ATO site there doesn't,t seem to be a clear answer. We don't have any AU income it all comes from Uk pension. Any guidance on this would be much appreciated, I know there are quite a few of us doing the same thing.

Julie

Julie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, juliew1499 said:

Hi Alan

i was very interested to read your reply as I am currently trying to working out when I became an Australian Tax resident. Your reply seems to suggest that you are a AU tax resident when you get your permanent visa but the ATO site seems to suggest that their definition of a tax resident has nothing to do with the rules applied by IMMI.

we left the UK on 30th June 2016 and my Uk accountant says that I am only liable for tax in the UK up to that date. We didn't get our 143 until 30th Nov 2016 and stayed in Oz and NZ on visitor visas. So my question to you is who do we pay tax to for the 5month period when we had left the Uk but were not permanent residents of OZ? Having read through the ATO site there doesn't,t seem to be a clear answer. We don't have any AU income it all comes from Uk pension. Any guidance on this would be much appreciated, I know there are quite a few of us doing the same thing.

Julie

Julie

Hi Julie.

Feel able to telephone me to discuss - 03 9935 2929 - or to send a PM to me with your phone number.

Happy to have an initial freebie chat.

Ditto for others who have a need for clarity.   If you're in the UK, T 023 80 366 366, and ask my PA Wendy to tee up a time and a date for a call.

Best regards.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I have read in the forum that some people had their medicals done in Edinburgh with doctors who know the best way to present the case and can be helpful with their knowledge.   As we lodged our 143 application in Dec 2014 and we calculate ( as best we can with the information available) that we should be assigned a CO in Sept / Oct this year. We are planning to get our meds done soon in preperation. Do think this is a good idea and can anyone give me the details of the Doctors please?. Just realising how much of the UK we have not seen and a few days in Edinburgh would be a tick off the list.

22 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi Everyone,

I have read in the forum that some people had their medicals done in Edinburgh with doctors who know the best way to present the case and can be helpful with their knowledge.   As we lodged our 143 application in Dec 2014 and we calculate ( as best we can with the information available) that we should be assigned a CO in Sept / Oct this year. We are planning to get our meds done soon in preperation. Do think this is a good idea and can anyone give me the details of the Doctors please?. Just realising how much of the UK we have not seen and a few days in Edinburgh would be a tick off the list.

Hi gafuk, you can't get your medical done until you receive the HAP id from Immi.  At present, they are issuing HAP id and asking for medicals and Police certs to be done two or three months before you get to CO stage.  However, you can get your Police cert done at any time without a HAP id, but just bear in mind that medicals and Police reports are only valid for one year anyway, and then you have the get them all over again.  I would hope you aren't over a year away from CO stage .... but ...  the processing is getting longer and longerrrrrrrrr ... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

My daughter received the Assurance of support letter today at last! She has to get the deposit done at Commonwealth bank and take evidence to Centrelink within 14 days.   

At last!  You must be thrilled.  Let's hope it won't be too long now.  Zee

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Hi gafuk, you can't get your medical done until you receive the HAP id from Immi.  At present, they are issuing HAP id and asking for medicals and Police certs to be done two or three months before you get to CO stage.  However, you can get your Police cert done at any time without a HAP id, but just bear in mind that medicals and Police reports are only valid for one year anyway, and then you have the get them all over again.  I would hope you aren't over a year away from CO stage .... but ...  the processing is getting longer and longerrrrrrrrr ... 

Thanks Catlady2014, I was under the impression you could get your meds done and they were valid for 12 months but I won't jump the gun. Must remain patient!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Thanks Catlady2014, I was under the impression you could get your meds done and they were valid for 12 months but I won't jump the gun. Must remain patient!

Unfortunately, patience is the name of the game.  Once you get your notification to prepare medicals, there will be a list of approved practices to book with - you can't book an appointment without the HAP id.  You will also need the HAP if you want to complete your medical history on line so that It's all in place for the medical exam.   

50 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

I wrote to Immi to ask for my HAP id on the off chance they would oblige. This was 9 months before we got our Case Officer. I thought they would not reply but about 3 weeks later I got an email with my Hap id and instructions. I used the email given at the end of the update email. We got our medicals and police checks done but only just made it in time  before the year was up. Might be worth waiting a little bit longer as we were sweating bricks at the end.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

My daughter received the Assurance of support letter today at last! She has to get the deposit done at Commonwealth bank and take evidence to Centrelink within 14 days.   

Fantastic news. Hopefully we won't be too long behind:)

• Like 4