Guest guest36187

7 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi NanaJan

A post on facebook from immi said the system was struggling with the requests.

Won't be long now ! :)

There's a public holiday coming up next Tuesday, on top of the recent Easter break, on top of the recent developments in the 457 visa which probably caused a huge number of emails,  so there might not be an update for a week or so.  

Hi all, just checking out the new APP for iphones. I have a question - We are going out in June on the e-visitor s/c651 for three months. Whilst we are there can we apply for the 600 tourist visitor for the year. Hopefully within this period our 143 will appear and all will be well [emoji41].
Or would it be best to arrange 600 before we leave UK ?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

57 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

Hi all, just checking out the new APP for iphones. I have a question - We are going out in June on the e-visitor s/c651 for three months. Whilst we are there can we apply for the 600 tourist visitor for the year. Hopefully within this period our 143 will appear and all will be well emoji41.png.
Or would it be best to arrange 600 before we leave UK ?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

If you go in June on a 3mth visa that would take you to 2yrs 3mths ? They are taking over 2.7yrs ? So I doubt PV will be through by then unfortunately.  ?Would you be better on the 600   I know it costs a little but more secure than worrying about existing after  3mths. Quandary for you I know! Decisions decisions!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

There's a public holiday coming up next Tuesday, on top of the recent Easter break, on top of the recent developments in the 457 visa which probably caused a huge number of emails,  so there might not be an update for a week or so.  

Oh no was hoping you might hear something @Catlady2014 

4 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

If you go in June on a 3mth visa that would take you to 2yrs 3mths ? They are taking over 2.7yrs ? So I doubt PV will be through by then unfortunately.  ?Would you be better on the 600   I know it costs a little but more secure than worrying about existing after  3mths. Quandary for you I know! Decisions decisions!

We are definitely going to apply for the 600, it's whether to do it now and ignore the e-visitor that we already have issued, or go out on it and then when we get to Oz apply for the 600 while we are there. Are we allowed to do that?

Geoff & Gill

11 minutes ago, Geoffandgill said:

We are definitely going to apply for the 600, it's whether to do it now and ignore the e-visitor that we already have issued, or go out on it and then when we get to Oz apply for the 600 while we are there. Are we allowed to do that?

Geoff & Gill

I don't know sorry. But guess you would have to be offshore to apply. I would do it before you go to be honest one less stressful thing to worry about after 3miths

You could maybe ring Australian High Commision in London they answer some visa queries

02074203690 1-4pm  some are helpful and some not! 

Kath

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

I don't know sorry. But guess you would have to be offshore to apply. I would do it before you go to be honest one less stressful thing to worry about after 3miths

You could maybe ring Australian High Commision in London they answer some visa queries

02074203690 1-4pm  some are helpful and some not! 

Kath

Thanks, will give them a call!

• Like 1

Hi all.  I'm really taking the plunge now, house is going to be going on the market and once it is sold then I'm going to go for the 600 class visitor visa to tide me over until my 143 visa is procssed. Now having to therefore address all issues relating to me being in Oz on a "temporary" albeit long term basis.  My main income will be of UK source but I will have a little Australian source income from interest on my savings there.  I'm confused about the whole tax situation and now think I need some expert advice in this area.  Can anyone give me a contact please for someone who is totally au fait with both UK and Australian tax legislation?  

Many thanks in anticipation!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AMP said:

Hi all.  I'm really taking the plunge now, house is going to be going on the market and once it is sold then I'm going to go for the 600 class visitor visa to tide me over until my 143 visa is procssed. Now having to therefore address all issues relating to me being in Oz on a "temporary" albeit long term basis.  My main income will be of UK source but I will have a little Australian source income from interest on my savings there.  I'm confused about the whole tax situation and now think I need some expert advice in this area.  Can anyone give me a contact please for someone who is totally au fait with both UK and Australian tax legislation?  

Take a look on the Money & Finance Section of the forums.  Some very good people on there.  

https://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/7-money-finance/

and here: https://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/38-financial-advice-ask-vista/

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Take a look on the Money & Finance Section of the forums.  Some very good people on there.  

Many thanks Catlady.  I've checked it out and yes, there is lots of helpful info there as well as contacts.  Must confess that I forget about checking out other sections of the forum.   When I did try I didn't find it particularly easy to navigate my way around, so your links certainly helped!.

15 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMP said:

Good for you! Speak to HMRC here also, if and when you are abroad for more time than here think they give you a Zero tax code as you will then be taxed in Oz but only once permanent visa comes through I think. Until then you will be taxed here maybe? Not 100% on all this though

Maybe Alan Collett on this forum can help you. 

Edited by Kathss56

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

Good for you! Speak to HMRC here also, if and when you are abroad for more time than here think they give you a Zero tax code as you will then be taxed in Oz but only once permanent visa comes through I think. Until then you will be taxed here maybe? Not 100% on all this though

Maybe Alan Collett on this forum can help you. 

Yes, that's broadly right.

Australia doesn't tax your UK pension income until you are a tax resident of Australia and your permanent residency visa is granted.

At that time there is a form to be completed by you, stamped by the ATO, and sent onto HMRC.

That done a NT (No Tax) PAYE Coding should be issued to the administrator of your pension.

The UK pension income from the time the pension is taxable in Australia is included on your Australian tax returns, with tax payable directly to the ATO.

It is possible you will enter the PAYG Instalment system in Australia too.

All of this derives from Article 17 of the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia:

Pensions (including government pensions) and annuities paid to a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State.

The temporary tax resident provisions mean that UK pension income received by tax residents of Australia who are temporary visa holders (eg 173s, Bridging Visa holders) is NOT taxable in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to contact me if you need any formal assistance.

Best regards.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AMP said:

Hi Angela, We have our house on the market at the moment  hoping to be able to do the same as you, but will be heading out from Spain. Our lodgement date is the same as yours and we will be heading to Adelaide. Hope you don't mind me asking  how you managed to open an Australian bank account as we were told we could only do this when we had less that a year before our visa was granted?  Wishing you luck with  the house sale. Regards Shelagh 

47 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

Hi Angela, We have our house on the market at the moment  hoping to be able to do the same as you, but will be heading out from Spain. Our lodgement date is the same as yours and we will be heading to Adelaide. Hope you don't mind me asking  how you managed to open an Australian bank account as we were told we could only do this when we had less that a year before our visa was granted?  Wishing you luck with  the house sale. Regards Shelagh 

Hi. Myself and hubby managed to open an account while on holiday last year my daughter puts money in for me. But we cannot get a bank card until we move over. It was with NAB. Hope this helps. Lynn

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

Of course I don't mind you asking or, as they would say in Oz, "no worries mate" (maybe we have to start getting into the lingo!).  It's super to have contact with someone on the same time frame as me and who is going along the same route.  We will be able to compare notes and hopefully provide mutual support!

In terms of the bank account, it was actually really easy, much easier in fact than opening an account in the UK or in France, which is where we lived when the account was opened.  I opened it with Westpac in 2014 and at that time had no intention of moving to Australia.  I explained that I wanted an account for when I came over to visit and also so that I had an easy means of transferring money to the children and grandchildren for birthdays, Christmas etc.  The condition was that I had to have an Australian address and mobile number but they were quite happy with me giving my daughter's details.   The account is a free one, so no monthly or annual charges to worry about. it's manageable on line, I can transfer between a savings and a current account and I also have a debit card.  That is brilliant for when I am in Australia as it is a contactless one and so useful.  I was also able to set up automatic top ups from my account to my phone and travel "go card".   I earn interest on the savings element and this is taxed at source at 10% because I am non tax resident.  I declare this on my UK tax return and they take the 10% already paid into consideration in their calculations.  

The only slight disadvantage is that, as with so many on line accounts, the bank sends a code to the registered mobile if I try to make  changes or to make a payment  online.   Prior to me realising this my daughter was getting texts in the middle of the night from the bank!   So, after the first couple of times, I  learned that I could only work on the account from the UK when it was a reasonable hour in Oz and when I could have my daughter on the phone at the same time to tell me what the code was!!  Maybe not the standard way of doing things but it works.    When I am over there I change the registered number to my own Australian mobile number.

One last thing, if your children have mortgages it may be worth considering putting capital into their accounts to offset their mortgages on which they will be paying a relatively high interest rate.  Ok, you really have to trust your children for this.  As, however,  we are prepared to go to the other side of the world to be with them then if we can't trust them enough then maybe we shouldn't be making the move at all.

Good luck with your house sale.  I'm aiming to put mine on the market in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lynn Moore said:

Hi. Myself and hubby managed to open an account while on holiday last year my daughter puts money in for me. But we cannot get a bank card until we move over. It was with NAB. Hope this helps. Lynn

Hi

We opened a bank account with ANZ at an open day in UK last year.   They have offices in Canary Wharf London.  We transfer money over there online.

Hi Clarkesville and AMP, sorry for jumping in on your convo but my bank ( santander) want to charge me £25 for a transfer to an Aus account!. Is there a low cost option? as I would love to send a few pounds here and there into our account to build it up a little. We are with ANZ in Australia.

10 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi Clarkesville and AMP, sorry for jumping in on your convo but my bank ( santander) want to charge me £25 for a transfer to an Aus account!. Is there a low cost option? as I would love to send a few pounds here and there into our account to build it up a little. We are with ANZ in Australia.

Hi gafuk, you can use a currency company to transfer money.  Moneycorp, Currencies Direct, TorFX etc etc.  None of them charge transfer fees and they will all give you a far better rate than the banks.  

• Like 1

Thanks spoolboy67.

looking at your dates, are you all done and dusted now or still waiting for the 143?

We lodged in Dec 2014 and trying to judge when we might get our email?.

1 hour ago, gafuk said:

I used Smart currency which again gave very good rates, much better than a bank.   They didn't charge a transfer fee but it did go through an intermediate bank somewhere and they did add on a £25 fee, this being a standard fee, regardless of how much was being transferred (so not bad if £100K was transferred but awful for a small sum!).    The exchange rate improves according to the sum of money being transferred, so it's better not to transfer small amounts if you can avoid it.

1 hour ago, gafuk said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lynn Moore said:

We were in Adelaide in March but I never thought about trying again but I definitely will when I go back in November.  Thanks for in info. Shelagh