Guest guest36187

As per their reckoning the immigration will clear 6575 visa places each year, that is as per quota for 2012-13. Assuming that the same quota continues for 2013-14 then the backlog of the applicants as on 30 June 2012 will be cleared by April 2014. Then the turn of applicants whose applications have been lodged from July 2012 will start. Let us say that number of applications per month averages 550 for each month from July 2012 onwards and there is no change in quota, then there will be no improvement in the waiting time of 22 months.If the quota decreases then the waiting period will increase. If there is rise in number of applicants against the fixed quota even then the waiting period will increase. It is learnt that all applicants do not pursue their application or unable to clear the medicals or are unable to meet the second VAC. Such drop outs are not significant yet they may result in lessening the waiting period as immigration department has to meet their quota targets. The picture will become fairly clear when new migration report is released in July 2013. Full clarity will come when new government is constituted in Canberra in last quarter.I will be keenly watching the election manifesto of the two major parties to see their position on migration.

Edited by mmant

Guest guest72525

As I see it, you need to add each year's new allocation each year in July, so it is a more complicated calculation, and would be less than 34 months.

I really hope my parents won't be waiting for more than 14 or 15 months for a case officer. The stress is massive for them while they wait (and on us too!)

So speaking of backlog

In ref to:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm

it says “….In the 2012–13 Migration Program year, 6575 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.”

Considering – “If we add to the existing pendency the number of applications received from July 2012 to June 2013 then the average waiting time would not be less than 24 months…”

Assuming that there were a number of received applications that more or less fit into the given visa places…

So would that translate to - if there is a 2012 backlog of 12000 + current fiscal year alloc 6575 / 545 = 34 months wait (almost 3 years)?

This is too pessimistic, I may be analysing it wrongly..

Hi,

My wife and I have applied for 143 visas. If we are successful in our application, hopefully towards the end of this year, then I understand that we have 12 months to 'validate' the visa, ie enter Australia.

What restrictions, if any, are there on our future movements in and out of Australia? Obviously it would allow us to spend all 12 months of any year in Australia. Are there any minimum requirements for living in Australia? Is travel in and out of Australia managed/controlled in any way? For example, do we have to spend at least 6 or 9 or (whatever) months in Australia in any one year, or number of years?

Regards

Rowley

Hi,

My wife and I have applied for 143 visas. If we are successful in our application, hopefully towards the end of this year, then I understand that we have 12 months to 'validate' the visa, ie enter Australia.

What restrictions, if any, are there on our future movements in and out of Australia? Obviously it would allow us to spend all 12 months of any year in Australia. Are there any minimum requirements for living in Australia? Is travel in and out of Australia managed/controlled in any way? For example, do we have to spend at least 6 or 9 or (whatever) months in Australia in any one year, or number of years?

Regards

Rowley

You can come and go as much as you like for 5 years but, after that, if you do not have citizenship or a resident return visa then your visa will run out.....both of those options have residency requirements

You would need to live here for 2 years (in total)to get a RRV and 4 years (you are allowed 1 year out of the country) to get citizenship.

After the 5 years you can still live here but would not be able to leave without one of the above if you want to retain the right to residency

You may be able to get a RRV if you can show substantial ties to the country but that may be for just 1 year

A RRV usually lasts 5 years

Edited by Flathead

You would need to live here for 2 years (in total)to get a RRV and 4 years (you are allowed 1 year out of the country) to get citizenship.

After the 5 years you can still live here but would not be able to leave without one of the above if you want to retain the right to residency

You may be able to get a RRV if you can show substantial ties to the country but that may be for just 1 year

Thanks, I'll easily make that, just wondering if it was OK to spend a couple of month out of the country every year.

Thanks Flathead, is this documented anywhere?

Rowley

help please, do we need to have medicals on the 173 visa it being a temporary one? or just when we apply for the 143?

thanks

tab x

Hi , yes you do need a medical. If you apply for your 143 early though you wont need to do another, well we didnt.

Hope this has helped, Val

ooooh thanks Val for the quick reply. early as in ??? how early do you think?

thanks again Tab x

Hi Tab, Well in our case we got our meds done October 2011, police checks same. Grant letter for 173 is dated November 2011. We validated December 2011 and applied for the 143 upgrade in May 2012. I was aware that we had 2 years in which to do it but as the money was there already and given that DIAC put the prices up every July 1st we just went ahead and did it. As DIAC were already in possession of current meds and police checks we weren't asked to do them again but I'm not sure if you leave it the full 2 years whether it would make a difference or not. Its all a matter of personal circumstances I guess.

It probably tells you in the booklet 3 but finding it is another thing lol.

Good luck!

Val x

help please, do we need to have medicals on the 173 visa it being a temporary one? or just when we apply for the 143?

thanks

tab x

Taken from the DIAC website:

[h=2]Health requirements[/h] Generally, you, your partner and any dependent family members do not need to undergo further health examinations.

and from Booklet 3:

generally, you are not required to undergo further health checks (see page 29 ‘Health’);

You really need to start at the very beginning with the immi.gov.au website- given that it's going to be a while before you get there yourself, & you would need to be a settled Permanent resident before your mum could even think of applying. If you go back about 10 pages here though & start reading, it will at least begin to give you an idea of what you're taking on!

What are the rules re one parent child, my mum has rheumatoid arthritis, she is in her 60's, are there conditions re her healthcare and could she purchase medical care out there.

Hi Cathy

Not sure where you are in the process. If you are just starting and your mom is dependant on you in any way then you could put her on your application right from the beginning, but for this you would have to prove dependency but this can be done. Keep in mind though that with this way if she fails the medical you all fail, so no one would then get a visa. You would then have to try remove her from your application which I am not sure they will allow..suppose it depends on your CO. If she is not dependant on you, then you would have to go over and do the time and then bring her later. She could probably be with you a lot of the time if you get her tourist visa's before you apply but it would also necessitate travel. as far as healthcare goes you did not say where you are from. I am going to assume the UK. If this is so then Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK. This means that she would get Medicare benefits immediately in Australia. Basically all this means is Doctors, Hospitals and Medicine on PBS. She could take out medical cover this side but would likely have a waiting period on her policy for the Rheumatoid Arthritis.

This all being said the issue would be the medical. If she does not pass the medical for PR at whatever stage they request it, she will not get a visa. The medical though is basically dependant on how much it costs the Australian government over a certain period of time and I suspect they are a bit more lax with the contributory parental visa as they have an assurance of support lodged for this so in essence it isn't really costing them a fortune. They have an amount and if they think her care will cost more than that amount during a 3 or 5 year period (not sure which it is), then they will fail her. This being said we chose to not list my mom as a dependant when we did our PR application due to her having emphysema and we did not know if she would pass the medical. I could kick myself now because I have heard of so many parents that have passed with diabetes and this and that. We are now sitting working towards that magic 2 year period because we listened to an immigration attorney in Sydney who gave us wrong advice. My mom has no one left except me,and is currently in country with us on a visitor visa, and we have applied to extend this to a tourist visa but who knows for how long they will grant that. Somewhere along the line she will have to leave and come back in.

Good luck

Hi Cathy

Not sure where you are in the process. If you are just starting and your mom is dependant on you in any way then you could put her on your application right from the beginning, but for this you would have to prove dependency but this can be done. Keep in mind though that with this way if she fails the medical you all fail, so no one would then get a visa. You would then have to try remove her from your application which I am not sure they will allow..suppose it depends on your CO. If she is not dependant on you, then you would have to go over and do the time and then bring her later. She could probably be with you a lot of the time if you get her tourist visa's before you apply but it would also necessitate travel. as far as healthcare goes you did not say where you are from. I am going to assume the UK. If this is so then Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK. This means that she would get Medicare benefits immediately in Australia. Basically all this means is Doctors, Hospitals and Medicine on PBS. She could take out medical cover this side but would likely have a waiting period on her policy for the Rheumatoid Arthritis.

This all being said the issue would be the medical. If she does not pass the medical for PR at whatever stage they request it, she will not get a visa. The medical though is basically dependant on how much it costs the Australian government over a certain period of time and I suspect they are a bit more lax with the contributory parental visa as they have an assurance of support lodged for this so in essence it isn't really costing them a fortune. They have an amount and if they think her care will cost more than that amount during a 3 or 5 year period (not sure which it is), then they will fail her. This being said we chose to not list my mom as a dependant when we did our PR application due to her having emphysema and we did not know if she would pass the medical. I could kick myself now because I have heard of so many parents that have passed with diabetes and this and that. We are now sitting working towards that magic 2 year period because we listened to an immigration attorney in Sydney who gave us wrong advice. My mom has no one left except me,and is currently in country with us on a visitor visa, and we have applied to extend this to a tourist visa but who knows for how long they will grant that. Somewhere along the line she will have to leave and come back in.

Good luck

She will not be dependent if she has any sort of income ie. pension

Guest guest72525
Hi Cathy

Good luck

3 years if over 75, 5 years if under 75. The current threshold amount is $35 000.

If your mom is no-one left except you, have you considered the last remaining relative visa? Although I think it may be a long wait for this, and as soon as you apply to extend a tourist visa, she will probably have a "no further stay" clause appended to her tourist visa.

She will not be dependent if she has any sort of income ie. pension

This is not altogether true. Dependency is not only income based, and is also dependant on how much the income is and how much you spend supporting that person as well. If the person has an income that is below the breadline threshold and they rely on you for additional financial and emotional support they can claim dependency.

3 years if over 75, 5 years if under 75. The current threshold amount is $35 000.

If your mom is no-one left except you, have you considered the last remaining relative visa? Although I think it may be a long wait for this, and as soon as you apply to extend a tourist visa, she will probably have a "no further stay" clause appended to her tourist visa.

Thanks Learjet, I couldn't remember exactly. We will apply for an aged parent visa hopefully on shore eventually. Difference in this and a remaining relative visa where time is concerned is not a lot of difference and it actually does not matter to us how long it takes. She has emphysema and although it is not very bad right now, she is already 76, we don't think that long term she would pass a medical, so the longer the better for us. She will live with us, has reciprocal healthcare due to being from the UK, and we will supplement this with the necessary private care. The main thing is that we would like her with us as long as possible as she really has no one else. I'm well aware that they will probably attach a no further stay clause to her visa, but the other alternative was to run back and forth between here and NZ to "reactivate" her eVisitor visa every 3 months anyway, and that would expire in July anyway, so we would have had to try make arrangements then as well. We will have to send her back to the UK for maybe 3 months and then bring her back on a visitor visa. She is currently on a bridging visa as her medicals for the tourist visa have been referred to the MOC which we knew would happen, so at the moment we are just waiting to see what happens.

Unfortunately it is not possible to sponsor a parent for a Remaining Relative Visa.