Guest guest36187

Its all suddenly beginning to feel a bit more real..sold my car yesterday, leave work on the 22nd, shippers arrive on August 1st......

Luckily I sold my house two years ago so i just have to hand back the keys to my rented place and Sydney here I come!

Its been a long haul but really worth it, for those just starting on the journey.

Fiz

Its all suddenly beginning to feel a bit more real..sold my car yesterday, leave work on the 22nd, shippers arrive on August 1st......

Luckily I sold my house two years ago so i just have to hand back the keys to my rented place and Sydney here I come!

Its been a long haul but really worth it, for those just starting on the journey.

Fiz

Hi Fiz. Gosh it's really happening for you! We have just started the whole process and it is hard to imagine that we might one day actually be living in Australia. We talk about it like we talk about winning the lottery (I wish) but it's almost like a dream. We were wondering about the house and whether to sell now instead of later - at least it's one of the main hassles out of the way; if we sell of course. Appears to have been the right thing for you. All the best and have a lovely life in Sydney! Angie

Guest guest36187

To all the parent visa applicants......I was the sponsor for my parents. They have been here almost three years now. As much as it feels like the process never ends, take a deep breath and be reassured that it can all go right.

Good luck to all of you and please remember we are here to answer questions and help anyway we can.

To all the parent visa applicants......I was the sponsor for my parents. They have been here almost three years now. As much as it feels like the process never ends, take a deep breath and be reassured that it can all go right.

Good luck to all of you and please remember we are here to answer questions and help anyway we can.

Thank you Joanne its so nice to know people want to help. I sometimes feel slightly isolated as friends cant really understand what it feels like when my family is on the other side of the world and thats where I want to be. And of course if I discuss my doubts with them they are biased as they want me to stay.

I am not sure whether to sell my flat or rent if for a year, I feel by renting it I may not make a real commitment to live in Australia, friends think I should keep it in case I want to come back. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

Anyway I am just starting the process so plenty of time for that decision

Moira

Fiz

So nice to hear it's all happening for you, wishing you every happiness on your new life, don't you feel you just wish your life away, i have been waiting for this for years and have more or less put my life on hold knowing one day i would be starting this process, it will all be worth it though. Last leg for you and so exciting eh! All the very best. Ann:biggrin:

just got our 2nd VAC charge letter....I know this is old hat but suggestions on best way to pay it with the pound so low at the moment....many thanks!

Hi Maxinec

We paid the 2nd VAC on 24 June (applied MAY 2010), by debit card through the Australian High Commission London office, getting AUD1.538 using the currency converter on the immi website.

We believe the currency converter rate changed on 1 July, but it is worth looking.

Good luck

Chris & Austin

Guest Cathwotherspoon

I am hoping I might be in a position to apply very soon - daughter's PR being processed at the moment - they have been in OZ 3 years so hopefully they will be seen as 'settled'. I have been looking over the paperwork involved - doesn't seem too bad but maybe I have missed something!! As I am on my own with no other close family to speak of it will be quite a daunting task so its great there are so many helpful people on here. Just so envious of everyone who is already in the process or has been granted their visas. The biggest issue, as with a lot of people will be selling the house but that's a wee bit in the future.

Cath

Hi Maxinec

We paid the 2nd VAC on 24 June (applied MAY 2010), by debit card through the Australian High Commission London office, getting AUD1.538 using the currency converter on the immi website.

We believe the currency converter rate changed on 1 July, but it is worth looking.

Good luck

Chris & Austin

G'Day

You were "lucky" – the rate is now just over $1.47. (See Steve's [sandch]'s post a page or so back.) Mike

As there have been a few posts on recently from people just starting the process and others who are nearly there, thought I would tell others what we have been doing as we are nearly there. We expected and got our visa last February, the bungalow had been on the market for the August before, and although we had had interest, never an offer, and although it would have meant renting, we didnt worry too much, but once we had that Visa, a whole different mind set, the only thing that was stopping us going was the fact they we could not sell property. We were just about to give up trying to sell when we changed agents for the 3rd time!!! they sold it in 3 days!!!! we are now waiting to exchange and complete contracts, so not safe yet, but we have both taken the bold step and handed in our months notice to our respective employers, and have a further 2 weeks holiday pay on top of months notice, and are hoping to fly out mid August. We have been busy doing car boots, trips to the dump, found buyer for car and trailer, and just have left only items we will take, so we are ready to go once we get that call from solicitor to say we have exchanged contracts. We have found out that our removers, who will be Pickfords, only require 2 weeks notice, but can do in less, especially if they pack on a Monday or Tuesday, we can book flights for a weeks time, so after all the stress of the waiting for visa, trying to sell property, WE ARE NEARLY THERE !!!!! For those just begining, we have found this site extremely helpful and friendly and thank everyone who has helped us so far. :wink::biglaugh::biglaugh:

checked for Forex Thursday last and they were giving a slightly better rate than the Australian High Commission London , We have a couple of week so will watch the rate on a daily basis. I know we will just have to pick a day and what will be will be. (that sounds like a good song !)

Thanks for all the advice!

As there have been a few posts on recently from people just starting the process and others who are nearly there, thought I would tell others what we have been doing as we are nearly there. We expected and got our visa last February, the bungalow had been on the market for the August before, and although we had had interest, never an offer, and although it would have meant renting, we didnt worry too much, but once we had that Visa, a whole different mind set, the only thing that was stopping us going was the fact they we could not sell property. We were just about to give up trying to sell when we changed agents for the 3rd time!!! they sold it in 3 days!!!! we are now waiting to exchange and complete contracts, so not safe yet, but we have both taken the bold step and handed in our months notice to our respective employers, and have a further 2 weeks holiday pay on top of months notice, and are hoping to fly out mid August. We have been busy doing car boots, trips to the dump, found buyer for car and trailer, and just have left only items we will take, so we are ready to go once we get that call from solicitor to say we have exchanged contracts. We have found out that our removers, who will be Pickfords, only require 2 weeks notice, but can do in less, especially if they pack on a Monday or Tuesday, we can book flights for a weeks time, so after all the stress of the waiting for visa, trying to sell property, WE ARE NEARLY THERE !!!!! For those just begining, we have found this site extremely helpful and friendly and thank everyone who has helped us so far. :wink::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good luck to you both. We have started the clearing out of the loft...only (only????) the garage, kitchen, spare bedrooms etc to go. I know what we will be doing all this summer.

Best wishes

Good luck to you both. We have started the clearing out of the loft...only (only????) the garage, kitchen, spare bedrooms etc to go. I know what we will be doing all this summer.

Best wishes

Yes, I remember that. It is quite liberating getting rid of a lot of stuff. However, even when we thought we had finished we still kept on going through stuff and chucking more stuff out. My husband was on first name terms with the guy at the local tip!

And now the real stress begins as you all know......no doubt you will be hearing more from me in the future needing help and support.:arghh:[/QUOte

Hi Liverpoolloo

Whereabouts on the Wirral are you? We have just moved over here to Perth from Lymm and we used to go walking a lot on the Wirral. Any queries, just shout. There are lots of lovely knowledgeable people on here who helped us a lot to keep sane throughout the whole process.

Thank you Joanne its so nice to know people want to help. I sometimes feel slightly isolated as friends cant really understand what it feels like when my family is on the other side of the world and thats where I want to be. And of course if I discuss my doubts with them they are biased as they want me to stay.

I am not sure whether to sell my flat or rent if for a year, I feel by renting it I may not make a real commitment to live in Australia, friends think I should keep it in case I want to come back. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

Anyway I am just starting the process so plenty of time for that decision

Moira

Hi Moira

It can make you feel quite isolated. As you say friends don't always understand and sometimes they can be quite unsupportive and I think maybe a little jealous. I am glad we found this site which convinced us that we were doing the right thing. It can be quite daunting and very stressful at times, but just keep the end goal in sight.

Fiz

Hi Fiz,

I cant believe that your time has come around so quickly, it doesn't seem very long since we started this complete process but you are definetly on the count down now. I've been here in Adelaide for just over a month now, just looking for a job, still staying with my daughter & SIL. It's been a very steep learning curve but enjoying the new adventure.

Good luck with yours

Katie x

And now the real stress begins as you all know......no doubt you will be hearing more from me in the future needing help and support.:arghh:[/QUOte

Hi Liverpoolloo

Whereabouts on the Wirral are you? We have just moved over here to Perth from Lymm and we used to go walking a lot on the Wirral. Any queries, just shout. There are lots of lovely knowledgeable people on here who helped us a lot to keep sane throughout the whole process.

Hi Lindsay, good name by the way same as my daughter also spelt the same too, i live in Spital which is near a nice nature reserve near the Dibbinsdale woods, also sandwiched between Bromborough and Neston, i do like it here as the local countryside and coastline is lovely but Perth has so much more to offer, i rented a villa in Booragoon and spent a year there on and off, it gave me time to make sure the move was right for me, i didn't want to come back after the year was up. I now find i am wishing the weeks away for the next step and i haven't even been acknowledged yet, LOL. I now day dream as to where shall i live in Perth North or South of the river, at the moment i am swayed to the North and as i work in aged care i should find a job okay as i hear they are short of carers. I look at this site every day and read up on our thread and others too, i am sure i shall be shouting this way a lot for help. thanks for the reply Lindsay. Ann

Hi guys

Hope you can help me ? We have been in oz for 6 months now and my in laws are making noises about coming over on a cpv. They pass the family test as my wife's brother died 7 years ago and she is the only sibling left. We should be able to show we are settled as my wife us a nurse and I am 6 weeks off from being sworn in as a cop.

So am I right in saying that if they came over on a 12 month visa and then applied for the cpv, they could get a bridging visa till it was granted?

If they applied for the non cpv ( I know the visa would not be granted for years) but would they be allowed to stay till it was granted?

My in laws are 68 and 73.

Hope some one can help.

John

G'Day all

After a lot of nail-biting and nervous scanning of emails every morning, we have now just (an hour ago) received the long-awaited email requesting our 2nd VAC. Never in human history did two people pay over $42,000 so willingly!!

It's been a particularly nervous time for us (hence the recent low profile), as we have some medical issues – Mike had a prostate op three years ago, and we were worried that the Oz powers that be would insist on a clear five-year gap. (If anyone wants to discuss the meds aspect, do please send a PM.)

So now the planning goes into overdrive... Never mind that there are some semi-major building works due this summer on the small building where our flat is, and these need to be done before we put it on the market....

The Champagne or, at least, the Deutscher Sekt, is on ice!

Mike and Sue:biggrin:

G'Day all

After a lot of nail-biting and nervous scanning of emails every morning, we have now just (an hour ago) received the long-awaited email requesting our 2nd VAC. Never in human history did two people pay over $42,000 so willingly!!

It's been a particularly nervous time for us (hence the recent low profile), as we have some medical issues – Mike had a prostate op three years ago, and we were worried that the Oz powers that be would insist on a clear five-year gap. (If anyone wants to discuss the meds aspect, do please send a PM.)

So now the planning goes into overdrive... Never mind that there are some semi-major building works due this summer on the small building where our flat is, and these need to be done before we put it on the market....

A step nearer. You are almost there now.

Yes, I remember that. It is quite liberating getting rid of a lot of stuff. However, even when we thought we had finished we still kept on going through stuff and chucking more stuff out. My husband was on first name terms with the guy at the local tip!

Gosh, I remember that (and we're still clearing out stuff) Once I started I couldn't stop - not surprising as we've been here nearly 40 years!

G'Day all

I can remember all those comments on here when I got so excited about paying over such a huge sum of money. Why shouldn't every step of this journey be greeted the same way? After all, it is another step nearer to joining our lovely family and having lots of new experiences to look forward to in our twilight years!

G'Day all

Good to hear that news. What a lot of dosh that is eh? It makes me realise how quickly these fees are inflating each year. I checked back and see that we paid $63k for the 143s back in '09. As for the sterling cost, it's now scary.

Good luck with the next steps.

Cheers

Steve