Business Owners Visa - been there, done that, happy to help if I can.

twiglet

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget most agents will not be able to help with the tax and financial issues, Alan happens to be a CA as well as a migration agent. Even your own accountants may not be aware of Oz tax issues and transfer considerations.

We are doing our own visa application but we are taking advice from our English and an Ozzie accountant we know plus a financial adviser.

THanks to everyone who replied. Alot of Help

Can I ask what types of business you applied for.

And twiglet, at what point did you change from a boarding kennel to a cafe ?

One other question , I have a daughter leaving school this year. If we did arrive before shes 18 would she still be eligable to work even though we would be on a temporary visa ?

Hi twiglet,we have lodged our visa on the 17/8/09 we have heard nothing from perth yet, but are agent has said it could be another 6 monthes yet.We have owned a cafe in torbay for 5 years and am very interested in knowing which part of wa your business is in.thanks

One other question , I have a daughter leaving school this year. If we did arrive before shes 18 would she still be eligable to work even though we would be on a temporary visa ?

Technically it isn't a temporary visa but a provisional visa!

Yes everyone has work and study rights, if she wanted to be in education though- she may well have to pay international fees.

see State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional) (Subclass 163)

and have a really good read of

Australian Business Skills Entry Booklet

I bow to your superior knowledge. I should have known better!

I did think there was a difference though as this is a two stage process, but I guess the regulation speak is a world to itself. Is there an actual definition of temp/provisional then?

The visa actually has provisional in the title but hey whats in a name! Makes me feel a bit better about it I guess!

Just shows you can't believe everything us well meaning amateurs post!

Regards

Hi Alan, I hope it's not out of turn to ask but has your company any business visa's being processed and have any case officers been allocated since lodging, i have heard they are still working on June 09 applications.They seem to have slowed down.

Hi twiglet,we have lodged our visa on the 17/8/09 we have heard nothing from perth yet, but are agent has said it could be another 6 monthes yet.We have owned a cafe in torbay for 5 years and am very interested in knowing which part of wa your business is in.thanks

Hi,

Our business is at the beach in Yanchep.

The whole area is going through a development explosion at the moment!

We are close to Two Rocks and the new developments at Shorehaven, Jindowie and Alkimos. PM me if you want to know more. Thanks

Hi,

We decided not to go for Kennels not long after arriving. Having spent about a year trolling through the hundreds of unsuitable businesses for sale we finally came across the Cafe. We only bought it because we had been there, knew the beautiful location and saw how busy it was!

Hi all ,

Thankfully a post about the Business Visa (last year was hard to find on the site), so stopped visiting for a while, that and being busy. Let me tell you it has been one hell of a long haul !! (but we are a large family) Anyhow we applied for a business subclass 163, temporary visa. We originally instructed the Agent Global Visas in Sept 08, was told a business visa can be quite quick around 6 months ! well that was wrong ! Receiped WA SS on 13/03/09, and only just been told we now meet the business criteria from Oz, and to have our police checks and medicals, so hopefully we are finally there.

On using an agent, in our case they were a godsend and worth the money £3K, as things at times were a bit tricky and certainly daunting !! especially some of those forms that were pages and pages long !

We are still not there yet, and know that the hard work will begin once were on Ozzie soil.

just a question (first of many) for any of you already there, can you import your car on this visa ? I'm sure I read or was told you have to have a PR.

Forgot to say we have a Contract Cleaning Business here, hoping to start the same in Perth.

Wanda (42) Wayne (48), Johnathon(19)Jordan(16)George(12)

Hi, well the question re: importing your car has put a spanner in our works!! We have always planned to take our car and motorbikes. Although this visa is temp it is also a provisional, so I thought we had a bit more rights ie kids schooling fees waived (unless private) and being able to import our stuff. Again like you were told visa would take about 8mths, and we started process july2008, and still here!! hoping to leave end of June 2010 when the twins finish GCSE's. Surely visa must be received by then, told by DIAC in Sept CO will be allocated shortly still waiting!! This is a very stressful process, hell knows what are going to come up against when we finally get there. I just hope it was worth every tear.

Hi, well the question re: importing your car has put a spanner in our works!! We have always planned to take our car and motorbikes. Although this visa is temp it is also a provisional, so I thought we had a bit more rights ie kids schooling fees waived (unless private) and being able to import our stuff. Again like you were told visa would take about 8mths, and we started process july2008, and still here!! hoping to leave end of June 2010 when the twins finish GCSE's. Surely visa must be received by then, told by DIAC in Sept CO will be allocated shortly still waiting!! This is a very stressful process, hell knows what are going to come up against when we finally get there. I just hope it was worth every tear.

Hi,

dont take my word for the car then, will keep looking on her incase some one answers, i thinkg cos all visas are different its not set in stone for just one. Re school fees, i again was under the impression that we would get no financial help at all, that being with schools and also health care ? again something i need to ask ! there is that much stuff you need to know you forget which question you wanted answered, cos there comes along another 10. ha ha. I know about the wait, your life is onhold.

Have you been asked to have your medicals and police checks yet ?

No instructions for meds or p checks yet. Have you had yours? love to hear from you when things start finalising for you. We were fortunate last July our house and business sold for fantastic prices we couldnt refuse so we are ready to get on that plane. Living with the inlaws, longer than we thought, I'm just worried the goal post will get moved again for processing. God knows whats going on in Perth processing there arent many categories we are SS priority business class it seems cat 5/6 on the move! Agent appointed July 08,`qld SS applied Jan 09 SS received june 09 visa lodged Sept 09 I think I will contact my agent to clarify a few things, i just hope I'm not wrong!!

Guest robandhelen

I dont understand the 890 residency...does it mean I can come and go to the UK permanently? is the requirement that I pay taxes and spend a certain amount of time in Australia? (living here at present for 3 years). I'm planning to go back for UK summers as my software business lets me...

Just been granted our Business Owner permanent residency visa 890. It took less than a month to go through! Been out here 3yrs (Perth - Northern Suburbs) having originally entered on a 163 Sponsored Business Owner visa. Happy to answer any questions best I can on the whole experience. Have a proven business for sale - beachside cafe - totally different to our original business plan! Anyone out there need reassurance etc.? It was a long, long process but really worth it. :wink:

Hi

We have been here 3 months on a 163 queensland sponsored - still looking at cafes and finding that alot that are for sale here dont have good financials and the owners tell you what they are taking in cash in their pockets but their accounts arent showing what we need in t/o - cant take the risk on some of these as our visa will depend on it - looking at a franchise which shows more than enough t/o but dont know whether going to get much income from it as by time you have paid high rent and franchise fees not that much left !!!

We have the dilema at the minute of not knowing whether to go with franchise or go with independent. If it wasnt for fulfilling the visa I wouldnt go with the franchise as half your profit is going to someone else and you are basically working for them but on the flip side it is a good name and you have the backing and security of them having not run a cafe before. arrrggh totally dont know what to do!!!! need to get sorted soon coz cant go living of savings forever and the sooner we get the 2 years in the sooner we can get PR - how long were you here before you found your business?

val x

No instructions for meds or p checks yet. Have you had yours? love to hear from you when things start finalising for you. We were fortunate last July our house and business sold for fantastic prices we couldnt refuse so we are ready to get on that plane. Living with the inlaws, longer than we thought, I'm just worried the goal post will get moved again for processing. God knows whats going on in Perth processing there arent many categories we are SS priority business class it seems cat 5/6 on the move! Agent appointed July 08,`qld SS applied Jan 09 SS received june 09 visa lodged Sept 09 I think I will contact my agent to clarify a few things, i just hope I'm not wrong!!

Hi, yes just this week we were instructed to have p.checks and medicals, so getting a bit more excited now.

we have'nt put the house or business on market yet, still a bit undecided as to whether to rent the house out for a while, especially with the market at the mo.

I thinkg once the visa has been finally got, and in our hand, thats when decisions will be made as to which way to go !

what business are you in ? are you going to be doing the same in oz ? ours is cleaning, and hoping to do the same.

Have you decided where you're gonna stay, we have family in Attadale, and friends in Leeming, so not too sure yet, but if we rent we will be renting between them areas for now i think.

Hope you hear soon, keep us informed.

Hi, We took just under a year to find the cafe. It easily fulfills the t/o. I personally would never touch a franchise, to me it's still working for someone else. We did start a business in the health industry after about 6months, we knew it would not meet the requirements of the Visa on it's own but it did enable us to have an active ABN and the all important quarterly BAS statements. What a shame you're not in WA as we are ready to sell our cafe and invest our money elsewhere. Knowing only too well how hard it is to find a suitable business it would be perfect to hand our proven business on to someone in your situation. I wish you luck in your search - there must be one out there somewhere.

I dont understand the 890 residency...does it mean I can come and go to the UK permanently? is the requirement that I pay taxes and spend a certain amount of time in Australia? (living here at present for 3 years). I'm planning to go back for UK summers as my software business lets me...

Don't know about your situation but we have a Resident Return Visa which lasts for 5yrs. We can come and go as we please in that time. We will be eligible for Citizenship soon and will be applying as soon as possible. There are some stipulations regarding absence from Australia in the 4yrs leading up to Citizenship - the total period absent must not be more than 12 months and for the year before application the total absence must not exceed 3 months. There are some conditions which also apply to special circumstances but they are way too involved to add here. We pay taxes in Australia. Hope that's a help.

Hi, my husband is in construction, we are heading to Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane qld. Business plan gone in for this trade but not sure how things are going to pan out. Is this your first point of contact from a co to have meds done? would love it if you let us know when things are really moving and your visa granted, it just might give me some indication of how long for ours.

Thanks Nicki

Hey Ian, How's it going? Just wondering if you've had any news. Boy it's hard work - all that waiting! At least on the forum you're with others who are going through or been through the same thing. I hope you have good news soon. :cool:

Hi Twiglet,

wondered if you could help.... we have applied for our business 163 visa. We have passed the WA sponsorship and sent our 2nd stage to Oz in October... have heard nothing as yet. We are so nervous about it and have been told we will probably have to attend an interview, do you know what sort of thing we should expect? I've been told average processing time is 9 months, so I'm hoping that we will have a decision by July... when do they ask for medicals and crb checks, is that the last thing to do?

Any info will help,

Thank you

Archived