Business Owners Visa - been there, done that, happy to help if I can.

twiglet

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too many coming in on Business Owner 163 visa lately. Maybe just too difficult to fulfill requirements?

Yup its the exchange rate - our turnover is as good as ever BUT this year will fall below the criteria because of the exchange rate! Good job we got the application in on last years figures (we run oct-sep) as they were a bit higher.

In WA we had reciprocal Medicare benefits - all emergencies are covered and part payment of most other medical fees. My son - 8yrs had everything paid for. All his Primary education is covered but there are costs involved in all education with booklists $150 approx and a one-off fee to the School each year - approx $60 (Everyone needs to take out ambulance cover.)

Have just joined and finding all the information really helpful.

I'm looking at applying for a State Sponsored Business Visa to Perth. Do you know how the exchange rate is calculated for your turnover figure? Is it just based on today's rate or do they use average rates for each applicable year?

Thanks

Alex

You use the rate for the year end date of your accounts, I checked a few historical rates from diff sources and picked the best. This means you use a different rate for each years accounts. For personal assets you have to pick a day, say 30th June and use the historical rate for that date and show all your assets were held on that day. It does explain when you fill in the forms.

Have just joined and finding all the information really helpful.

I'm looking at applying for a State Sponsored Business Visa to Perth. Do you know how the exchange rate is calculated for your turnover figure? Is it just based on today's rate or do they use average rates for each applicable year?

Thanks

Alex

Good question. Any answers anyone.

I thought I had answered it!

It says on the form 1136 for application for 163 "use the exchange rates current at the end of each fiscal year"

Thanks for that, who's rates do you you use? Bank Of Australia? I know we are talking minor differences.

It didn't specify I looked at OANDA (as they had previously mentioned to use that for our old 165 application) and a few others. Just used the one that came out best. You do need to state the rate you are using though so I guess they probably have a range outside which they will question it. Bit of a B***er though if your end of year happens to fall at a bad time. I would reckon if this was so you could get away with using the average for the year.

Hi, would just like to ask anyone still awaiting business. visa163 where your waiting times are? We received Qld SS june 2009 and visa submitted 03/09/09, received letter shortly after confirming lodgement and advising CO will be allocated shortly! Spoke to my agent in Dec and he advised they were still dealing with June applications. Emailed processing centre and a very generic email returned stating that they still like to meet guidelines of 9mths, feels like it's going to take a lot longer at this rate.This whole process will be 2yrs this summer, all for a temp visa.

hi, ss lodged 01/09 six weeks later we were informed they wanted more details on business plan and our agents were having a lot of problems with this particular officer basically all cases allocated to him they had to dance to his tune, ss granted 13.6.09!! eventually, i have twin girls 15yrs doing gcse's in june so I know we can't go anywhere til then, but originally by the timescales we were given we hoped we would have been n oz last year. Sold our house and business last July so living with parents, not ideal but we are ready to get on that plane as soon as girls do their last exam in June. I would just like that piece of paper, as diac seem to change the rules all the time. Living in limbo, but just hope oz is worth all this stress and anxiety. No wobbles just want to get on with our lives and go on an adventure

Hi I submitted 163 Jan 09 after 1 month of waiting for SS. We delayed the process for 1 month April for Reccie (had to tell them we would be in Aus)then had to wait for further medical investigations after medicals but all was completed and granted Aug 09. So would have been 6 months i guess without the delays! Hope this helps, but they do say iro of 9 months.

No the case officer was allocated about 2 weeks after submission, seems to be the opposite to other visas? where they are nearer the end? I am no expert! only from what I have read on here! They will prob have lots of info to study about your business like they did with me then asked for more evidence etc then once that was approved I had to do the medicals and police form May (should have been April as i said but was on reccie)We had to have blood pressure tests and be re-assesed which took about another month!Then they said all was ready to grant but it was on hold as the year's quota was full! then approved about 3 weeks alter. Hope that helps.

Thanks alot, but every case seems so individual diac wrote to us back in Sept saying co to be allocated shortly, but as previously mentioned i heard that they are stiil allocating co for junes applications. So annoying I know business visas have different processing centres but there must only be one CO as we also have priority processing yet cat 5 and 6 for other visas being processed now

Hi Parbuttn

We lodged sep 09 too but are not in a any hurry, which state did you apply to. I know some states have become very fussy as there have been a lot of "dodgy" business applications (hearsay).

Having sold your house and business I can see you must be getting a bit stressed (I would be).

Hopefully they will keep to the 9 months though, I hope you get yours before us anyway.

Twiglet - thanks for offering advice to anyone applying for a Business visa at the beginning of this thread.

I'm going to apply for a Provisional State Sponsored Business Owner Visa to WA. I've spoken to a couple of migration agents and they seem to be happy that my case is fairly straight forward.

Migration agent fees seem to be very high for Business Visas so I'm considering doing the application myself. I'd be really interested to know what you did and whether you think a migration agent is necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

I did it alone, but it does take quite a bit of time (days, not months!), depends if you have spare time? I had sold my business so it was not a problem, also I thought if I did it my self there may be more impressed!!!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks Lizy

I'm still running my business and have 2 small children as well, so time isn't my greatest asset!

That said, to save £3-4k in agent fees - it's certainly worth considering.

Out of interest, did you do your own business plan as well? I've heard that WA aren't so strict about lengthy business plans but it would be good to know how much detail I would need to go into.

Yes I did it ALL myself (very basic business plan but I had accounts/experience of 19 years so maybe that helped!) None of it was not rocket science, but it just takes time to get all the information together, but that was early 09, not sure if they are harder on you now like other visas? It should all just be paper work you have anyway. I would do it myself again if I had to the reason being that as I am sure you would have to give the same information to an agent anyway and the other bonus was I dealt with the case officer myself direct by e-mail the whole process which was good. But as I say it depends if you have/havn't time / spare cash. I am sure the agents would be a really great help too, especially if you hit a problem which luckily I didn't. Good luck.

liz

Hi Alex,

I personally would never have done it on our own. Our business plan must be about 100 pages and six weeks after lodgement for qld state sponsorship we were asked for more .information. I think they are really toughening up. My agent has assured me that if ss is granted then visa should be almost guaranteed depending on meds and police checks, so for us ss was the hardest thing.Admittedly it has been expensive as we are a family of 4, but I just wouldn't have known where to start and it has been a very long process.My husband has had a successful business in construction for over 18 yrs

Twiglet - thanks for offering advice to anyone applying for a Business visa at the beginning of this thread.

I'm going to apply for a Provisional State Sponsored Business Owner Visa to WA. I've spoken to a couple of migration agents and they seem to be happy that my case is fairly straight forward.

Migration agent fees seem to be very high for Business Visas so I'm considering doing the application myself. I'd be really interested to know what you did and whether you think a migration agent is necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

Hi Alex,

We did use an agent. We were really busy running our business which was not sold until after the visa was granted. We brought two dogs with us and I did all their paperwork myself. The ss part is crucial and we were told that providing medicals & police checks were good then after ss the main visa is pretty much a done deal. The Business proposal was prepared by a guy in WA as advised by our agent. The proposal also proved useful when applying for reallocation of the lease on our business premises, it also gave us a contact for finding a business once we arrived. I'm sure it's possible to prepare everything yourself but we didn't need to have any problems, as I'm sure you know there is an awful lot of paperwork,. It may well be easier with a different business. We originally came over to run a luxury boarding kennels and cattery and ended up with a beachside cafe!

Twiglet

Business skills visa applications are the most challenging of any type of non-humanitarian visa application - so to those who intend to do it themselves: good luck!

And to those who have done it themselves: well done!

Remember also that the visa application is only part of the equation. There is also business exit planning (or remuneration planning if you are retaining the business upon ceasing to reside), and planning your business structure in the context of tax planning and a future permanent residency visa application (unless you are applying for a subclass 132 Business Talent visa, or a subclass 162 or 165 visa).

In my humble view an overview of the entire visa process, the options and possibilities from a tax perspective, and what you are intending to achieve in a personal sense is essential to give applicants the best chance of success.

Best regards.

Archived