Business Owners Visa - been there, done that, happy to help if I can.

twiglet

Just been granted our Business Owner permanent residency visa 890. It took less than a month to go through! Been out here 3yrs (Perth - Northern Suburbs) having originally entered on a 163 Sponsored Business Owner visa. Happy to answer any questions best I can on the whole experience. Have a proven business for sale - beachside cafe - totally different to our original business plan! Anyone out there need reassurance etc.? It was a long, long process but really worth it. :wink:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Twiglet,

I am here on a business owners visa in Sydney and am looking into purchasing a business (which is nothing like my business plan). Do you know if the minimum amount you have to invest has changed? I will pm you with some more questions over the next week or so if that is OK.

It is nice to hear that you got permanent residency - I cannot wait!!!

Thanks in advance

Zoe xx

Guest carol poole

hi twiglet we are comeing to perth on 163 and need to sel house got visa valerdateing in dec love to be there by spring, what is your business called we are thinking of a cafe were can we find out about it and have you had it long, did you find the pr easy to get, we are so nerves cos i am in to haulage over here and just want a change.

Hi Twiglet, I just wonder why anyone does not require a good profitable business? If the business is so great why sell it? Not a personal dig, but you do see 'good profitable' business for sale all over the place and I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people want to walk away from something that is so good. Please enlighten me.

We applied for our 890 visa 2 weeks ago and have just been allocated a case officer How long did yours take after the case officer? I am so nervous as they require such a large volume of information

Hey Biffo,

Good point! The cafe business we used for our Visa is not one we have been involved in before. It more than fulfilled the Visa requirements and took us a long time to find in amongst the multitude of businesses (all of which are described as 'profitable!') on offer here. It has given us a brilliant insight into owning and manageing a business in WA. The small business scene is very different from the UK as people do regularly move on to other things. We also have other businesses which were not used to obtain our Visa and would like to put more energy and money into those. We have spent many years working very hard in the UK to establish financial security and a large part of our decision to move to Oz involved making lifestyle changes, with the worry of permanent residency off our backs we are now able to put those changes in place.

Hope you're suitably enlightened!

Lodged a 163 visa end of September for SA. I believe they aren't as stringent as some other states. Not why we picked it though - we have friends there and have been several times and really like it.

We too are looking to buy into a business to get PR - easier I think to meet the turnover quicker than starting from scratch.

What were your original businesses Twiglet? If you don't mind me asking. I have never managed anything like a cafe before, but the thought appeals, especially the idea of putting management in place. I guess as long as it doesen't make a loss and turnover is good it will get us the PR while we concentrate on setting up the business we want - which is a consultancy so takes longer to build.

Any tips on the cafe thing would be good!

Rammygirl

Guest patience

I have a business in the UK, although I haven't looked into the business visa as we have started a skills assessment via my husband with the ACS to apply for a 175, would a business visa be a quicker and better option to getting a visa and PR? I have thought about setting up a branch in Oz as we have quite a few customers there.

Off to check it out!

Thanks for this topic......

Guest patience

If we were granted this visa and started a business in oz , can my husband work for an Ozy employer in IT while I run the business.

Cant seem to find much info about it on the DIAC web site.

Many Thanks

Your business must tick all the boxes - I can only speak for WA but for all it's laid back attitude to life in general, when it comes to paperwork Australia more than makes up for it. Immigration is extremely pedantic, don't even think about taking shortcuts or having anything 'almost but not quite'! Staff were the biggest issue for me. Work ethics are different here. It took a while but I now have a core of excellent staff and have come to accept that others will come and go. We are open 364 days a year so one manager doesn't work. Team work is essential and the busier we are the better our team work. We don't keep any one who doesn't pull their weight as it upsets the whole system. We hit a steep learning curve but came out on top and enjoyed the process. As always it's really down to common sense in the end.

Yes you can work for someone else. You have to remember business visa is temp first more hoops to jump for to get PR. Better to get PR straight away if you can - you can still run a business. If occupation is on CSL probably just as quick to get visa.

We went for it as too old for skilled visas but having worked for ourselves for so long didn't fancy employer sponsored either.

Processing times for 163 state sponsored is 9 months at the mo according to website.

Always look at the options. We started on the Investors Visa then were wrongly advised by our agent and changed to the Business Owner Visa. As it happens we could have stuck with our original choice but would have had a lot of money tied up for a long time and the 163 worked out well in the end.

As for your husband working it would probably depend on who is the Primary Visa holder. In our case it was my husband and Immigration were only really interested in his management of the cafe, we had to send loads of letters, minutes of staff meetings, signed goods received notes, letters from bank manager/suppliers etc all stating or showing that my husband was actively managing and co-ordinating the business. So not impossible but could be tricky.

We started on the Investors Visa then were wrongly advised by our agent and changed to the Business Owner Visa. As it happens we could have stuck with our original choice but would have had a lot of money tied up for a long time and the 163 worked out well in the end.

Interesting we went on investor visa in 2006 but ended up coming back to UK (family reasons) we took money back as didn't think we would meet the criteria - we were right. So starting again now and went for 163 as didn't want to tie the money up again for so long especially now interest rates are worse - we actually got a reasonable income from the bond last time!

Interested to know the answer. Have you found anything out yet?

If we were granted this visa and started a business in oz , can my husband work for an Ozy employer in IT while I run the business.

Cant seem to find much info about it on the DIAC web site.

Many Thanks

Guest Jamie Smith

You'll fall over if you're not careful and he held to be working illegally. You need to look at the requirements of the visa, and understand different structures of ownership and what constitutes management involvement.

First there is the the issue of employment vs self employment to address, and then set the ownership structure and management conrols accordingly.

Guest patience
Interested to know the answer. Have you found anything out yet?

Haven't looked into it much yet as I have this flu. Also my DH is waiting to hear from the ACS regarding his skills assessment.

Will let you know if I find anything out.

Check out "regional established business in Australia" 846 I think. This might provide you with the PR visa if OH is employed. I also know people who went on 163 then moved to employer sponsored PR. There ARE other paths after 163 but need to check them carefully.

Hope you are feeling better.

• 1 month later...

Hi twiglet

I have had conflicting information from the aus visa website and what migration expert has told me. Can you clarify on a 4 year business visa , whether you are eligible for education and medical whilst in OZ.

Jason

Depends on the state with education I think - usually primary/secondary is OK but college and uni are def overseas fees.

If you are from UK then you get reciprocal medicare - you get a card but have to pay towards treatments then you can claim some back.

No child benefits or any other benefits though.

We were in SA on 165 (business investor- same rules) and no extra fees for our kids in school there, but when we go back on 163 we will have to pay overseas uni fees ( hoping to persuade him to take a year out then get PR ASAP so we don't have to pay for all 4 years)!!

Archived