Business Owners Visa - been there, done that, happy to help if I can.

twiglet

Guest Twinnie

Hi, we're looking into various business visa options and buying a business is a preferred route. To apply for a business owner visa, do we first need to have a successful business in the uk which meets the specific turnover amounts etc?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, was just looking for some advice. I currently own a franchise on a 163 Business owners visa and have owned it for just over a year and have met the 200k turnover this year that is required - however I hvae been opffered a great business opportunity that would bring in some money(currently not taking much home!) and get me back on my feet. My question is if i keep the same company name as it is under my name but sold the franchise and started up new business - would this still be ok to apply for PR next year? As I know you have to own the business for 2 years - although different business it would be same company name... any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and good luck to everyone out there applying for their visas- it is worth every minute of the struggle of applications etc! xx

Hi Twinne - in answer to your question yes you do need to have been involved with a business that meets criteria - you can have had a share in it - you dont need to have had full control of it. I cannot help you with the requirements though I am afraid as it has been a long time since we applied and I know they change all the time. one of the many experts should be able to help you though!

Hi, we're looking into various business visa options and buying a business is a preferred route. To apply for a business owner visa, do we first need to have a successful business in the uk which meets the specific turnover amounts etc?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey

Tracey,

You do need to have had a successful business in the uk, for at least two years , for up to four years prior to applying, so you may have sold it two years ago, if that makes sense. You also need at least $500,000 dollars to go with. Used to be $250,000 but apparently its recently changed.

hope this helps.

J

:confused:Hi Twiglet We are in the early stages of applying for a subclass 163 we have sold our UK existing business and we are raring to go - can you recommend an agent or do you reckon that we can do it without using one? please let me know your thoughts - Cheers Chris

Personally I decided not to go with one. I paid £400 to one for an info pac and 30days email support, and a one hour phone call. The info they sent me was pretty much what I had already got off the web, and every question I asked was met with the same reply "We can discuss that in your phone call" I was not going to pay them, £5000 to submit my application. After all I had all the answers. Still having gotten my visa yet, but feeling optomistic as we have just been asked for meds.

Hi Ghost

Congratulations!! The meds and police checks are a formality, well unless you've been a bank robber or mass murderer in the past!!

Where are you heading to?

We fly out on June 23rd to the sunshine coast, it's been a long wait but we're nearly there now. All the things we haven't sorted yet are piling up now though.

Rgds

Jon

Guest maxbecks

We've just been granted our business visa 163.

Timeline as follows:

State Sponsorship granted July 2009.

Full application September 2009.

Case Officer requested additional info and police & meds 22nd December 2010.

Meds 7th Jan 2011.

Case Officer went on annual leave from end of Feb to start of April.

Police certs were coming out of validity, so asked to get updated ones.

Police certs sent 6th May 2011.

Visa Granted 6th May 2011!

Guest Jamie Smith

Timeline as follows:

Meds 7th Jan 2011.

Outstanding! :laugh:

Hi Ghost

Congratulations!! The meds and police checks are a formality, well unless you've been a bank robber or mass murderer in the past!!

Where are you heading to?

We fly out on June 23rd to the sunshine coast, it's been a long wait but we're nearly there now. All the things we haven't sorted yet are piling up now though.

Rgds

Jon

Congrats Jon

We are off to Perth. Hopeing to be gons by September. :jiggy:

Been asked for my police checks and meds. I dont want to count my chickens, but im getting excited.:animal-chicken:

Congratulations, that should be it then! Very pleased for you. We are going to try for a 457 now, let's hope it works! X

Been asked for my police checks and meds. I dont want to count my chickens, but im getting excited.:animal-chicken:

If you've not been asked for any extra information and you've been asked to do meds & PCCs then I think you can definately start counting your chickens! Good luck!

If you've not been asked for any extra information and you've been asked to do meds & PCCs then I think you can definately start counting your chickens! Good luck!

We did get asked for some extra info, sent that back and a day later got asked for meds and pcc's . We are all so excited.

Congratulations, that should be it then! Very pleased for you. We are going to try for a 457 now, let's hope it works! X

Good for you team crouch. Hope it works out for you this time.

Timeline as follows:

Meds 7th Jan 2011.

Congrats on getting your visa. Wow Im thinking we did well as you applied a whole year before us.

Its a long wait, but im sure it will be worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gchapmanswfc

Hello all.

We are embarking on our Australian dream through an investor visa. We have had our state sponsorship through and today our agent has lodged our application with central government, we are hopeful that this will come through before the end of the year so we can move over in Jan 2012 ready for the new school year.:biggrin:

I cannot believe how stressful the paperwork has been, and it has taken me weeks to pull all my information together, to say the application process is thorough is an understatement..... then again we all probably wish it was as difficult to get into the UK!

I dont believe I could have got this far without an agent, just to have someone run their eyes over everything and understand exactly what the Govt are looking far I found invaluable. Our agent reassures us the application should be a formality and that we pass all the criteria, fingers crossed at this end it is as quick as possible (although with the exchange rates as they are I am dreading giving the Govt 750k for the bond)

One word of advice, do not ever change to paperless bank statements! I did so a few years ago and in the meantime have also changed banks, so as the Govt quite rightly want a paper trail of my wealth to check it is legitimate I have had an absolute nightmare having statements duplicated from over 3 years ago from banks I am no longer with!

We will be looking to buy a business when we arrive, advice on the best places to start looking would be great, we are open to the sector or type of business but we may fancy a little coffee shop or similar.

thanks for a great informative thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Well 163 visa granted today.........only took 20 months!!

meds arrived in Sydney 6th June and that was the final hurdle.

First entry to be by 23rd May 2012 (date on police checks).

Did anyone bother to get the sticker in Passport as we have been told not to.

Archived