Protest Visit to Australia House - update

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest barney1450

Hi Gill and the others attending today

I hope it goes well today, and I wished sooo much I could attend, but as I leave my job on the 22nd for good my bosses would not authorise time off for me. I can understand their reasons, as deadlines have to be met, but I dont think they understood the importance of todays meeting at australia house.

If their is a further meeting to be held before I leave for Oz in January, please let me know and I will attend.

Good Luck all of you, and I know you are in good hands with a leader such as Gill.

Take Care from Tonia x

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOOD LUCK to everyone going to Australia house today, sorry am unable to attend, but sending positive thoughts, and eagerly awaiting some positive news.. I know you will all do your very best, and extremely grateful to you all for your time and input. Your all fab !!!

LOTS AND LOTS OF LUCK .....

Tina

Guest KatyNick

Hi Kirsty

I've just logged on to see if there is any news too. Don't know if there's been a problem with PIO tonight but I've been trying since at 4.30 pm, without much success, to log on here. Thank goodness it's up and running now.

To all those who did go to Australia House - THANK YOU !!!!!

Guest TheHollies
Hi Kirsty

I've just logged on to see if there is any news too. Don't know if there's been a problem with PIO tonight but I've been trying since at 4.30 pm, without much success, to log on here. Thank goodness it's up and running now.

To all those who did go to Australia House - THANK YOU !!!!!

Hi Katy

Ive been trying for a while too, thought the site had crashed with all the good/bad news from today! :twitcy:

Hi Kirsty

It made me almost insane being unavailable to connect to PIO.

So, Gill and others, please give us some information. :notworthy::biggrin:

Guest TheHollies
It made me almost insane being unavailable to connect to PIO.

So, Gill and others, please give us some information. :notworthy::biggrin:

Ive just got a glass of wine...calm my nerves, lol.

Hi All,

Gill and 6 other members attended the meeting today at 12:00 at Australia House. I will leave Gill to update everybody on the meeting minutes. However, a lot of points were tackled and everybody agreed it was a well worth exercised. All i want to point out at this stage is that POI is HIGHLY regarded by DIAC and is internally read. We have now opened direct communication with the right people and hence can quickly clarify correct information moving forward. All i can say is a massive "thank-you" to Gill for her efforts in organising this meeting.

While we're waiting some positive news by the Australian:

POSITIVE attitudes to immigration are weathering the economic downturn, suggesting there has been a fundamental shift away from viewing migrants as scapegoats for societal problems.

The Mapping Social Cohesion Survey of 3500 people, to be released today, shows that only 37 per cent of Australians believe the migrant intake is too high, virtually unchanged from when the economy was booming in 2007.

It is also well down from the 60-70 per cent range during the recession-hit early 1990s and the height of Hansonism in 1996-98.

But the survey underscored the potential for ethnic tensions to flare in some poor areas, finding that nearly 70 per cent of long-time Australians living in areas with large numbers of immigrants believed too many were coming into the country.

These areas also tended to be economically disadvantaged, suggesting they could become trouble spots if the economy worsened and unemployment jumped significantly.

Report author Andrew Markus of Monash University said: "The potential is that if the economy goes sour and we again find ourselves in a situation of 10-15 per cent unemployment, we may have a different outcome

(to the positive survey results) in areas of high immigrant concentration."

Professor Markus said he was surprised that attitudes about migrants had not been hardened by the economic downturn. When Australia was last in recession, in 1991, anti-immigration sentiment was measured at a 30-year high.

In the latest survey, 68 per cent of respondents agreed that immigration made the country stronger, while only 9 per cent had strongly negative views on immigration and diversity.

Business tycoon Peter Scanlon, whose Scanlon Foundation funds the survey, said the positive views on immigration suggested there had been a fundamental shift in attitudes.

He said migrants were no longer seen as "scapegoats" for problems but as key to helping offset Australia's ageing population. "There is an enormous maturity that has grown since the 1980s about understanding the role that diversity plays, and that it is part of Australia," Mr Scanlon said.

Professor Markus said the data highlighted the need to address public safety and crime in poorer areas with large immigrant populations.

Guest June Pixie

Well I'm so grateful for all the attendees and so sorry I couldn't make it - But I've made my intentions clear to the minster that he can have my visa money - Australia obviously need this cash. But there's no way in hell he will have our skills on a long term basis. On this occasion England 1 - Australia 0.

To add:

Skills and qualifications that the British tax payer have paid for - Why are we letting so many go on the tagline "It's sunny a lot"?

We are not desperate here in the UK!!!!!!

Dear Fellow PIO members,

Apologies for the delay in sticking some news on the site, but I have had some snags loggin on. Anyway 5 of us went to Australia House and met with Mr.Wilden. After all of the worries/concerns we have all been experiencing I would like to add I feel a lot happier after having a chat with this guy.

The first thing I would like to state is the following;

Mr.Wilden has confirmed that the 3500 cases they are dealing with are non-CSL CAT5 State sponsored applications, so that is applictions, not applicants. he also hastened to stress that there was no ommission of Trades from the process. His team were also keen to emphasis that they had worked through the CSL's and were now dealing with CAT5 aaplications.

In terms of the 2012 statement by the Mr.Evans for off-shore GSM applicants, that ws a forecast date at that time, which they would appear to be suggesting will improve. Whether this has an impact on those who lodged pre-23rd Sept I am not certain. Mr.Wilden stated that as this is now set on the Website, it provides a more accurate timeline for applicants now wishing to lodge for a visa.

The issue of Meds & Police checks was raised. I was under the impression that these were not to be carried out until requested by DIAC, but I forgot that once we all lodge our applications, it is stated as a requirement for the visas. Mr.Wilden has stated that he will investigate on our behalf to ensure that future correspondence states that Meds & Police checks should only be carried out when requested by DIAC during the further information process.

It was also highlighted that those of us with letters for further evidence of Meds & Police checks have completed this action only for the 12 months to expire, found this to be highly unfair and a request should only be made when DIAC are in a position to potentially issue a visa.

Mr.Wilden understood our concern and will look into this issue.

Gill also raised the issue regarding dependants and the concerns where a child reaches the age where dependancy could be questioned. In a nutshell the normal or guide for cut off is 18 years of age, however if a child is in full time education, then they could be deemed to be a dependant. He stated that if a child is adult enough to go to full time work then they may not be totally dependant. After leaving the meeting I wondered about this and thought does this include those on apprenticeships?

There were other points raised which included family sponsorship and CAT6 applicants. Perhaps one of the others at the meeting could mention about families, but Mr.Wilden and his colleagues did promise to look into CAT6 applications and try and provide a realistic timescale for processing.

On the whole I think the meeting went well. Mr Wilden certainly seems a very sincere person and his colleagues were sympathetic to our plight. he is happy to answer any questions any of us have for him. To ensure that this goodwill is not exhausted, it maybe an idea if we have a thread for general questions and if there are any which are case specific then Mr.Wilden said he would be happy to make representation for any applicants requiring his help.

He has promised to help, but cannot promise to provide the answers we are hoping for, and there maybe some of us who will be disappointed. However I hasten to add that Mr.Wilden has stated that the powers that be do look at forums such as this one to see how sentiment is running and he is keen to stress that yes they have done some things badly, but they are trying to put this right and he is aware that it is peoples lives they are dealing with and the impact that these recent events has had.

Sorry, before I forget the issue of refunds was raised. Mr.Wilden has informed us that the Minister is aware that there maybe some of us who may want to withdraw our applications due to the revised timescales. This is being looked into by the Minister, but these things take time as it will involve dialogue with other government depts. Those of us expecting refunds for Meds & Police checks etc, unfortunately, there is no chance of any refund.

Anyway there you have it, there were other issues raised. Hopefully others in the group could fill in the gaps or correct me if I have made an incorrect statement.

Good luck everyone

RonnieRocket

Guest rachbarlow
Hi All,

All i want to point out at this stage is that POI is HIGHLY regarded by DIAC and is internally read.

Hummm... I find this pretty scary (in a way), but hopefully they can see how fed up we are being messed around, our childrens futures messed with, and wasting our hard earned money on top of our emotions. We are genuine people with skills and money, not scroungers. I look forward to hear news from today and will keep looking all night. :wideeyed:

Thanks to Gill and those who could attend. Lets hope we can move forward from here!!!

Guest Bill_er_Bong

Mr.Wilden has confirmed that the 3500 cases they are dealing with are non-CSL CAT5 State sponsored applications, so that is applictions, not applicants. he also hastened to stress that there was no ommission of Trades from the process. His team were also keen to emphasis that they had worked through the CSL's and were now dealing with CAT5 aaplications.

Hmmmm... certainly like the sound of that! Already worked through CSL? Onto Cat.5? Almost sounds too good to be true!

Top marks for the update Ronnie. Many thanks to Gill and the rest of the team today.

Guest KatyNick
So, does it mean that we will see movement in 5 cat in the near future? Say December, January...

Oh I do hope so!!! :notworthy:

Guest rachbarlow

Hope this is the case whoo hoo! Thanks. Cat 5 here we come..... hurry up SS!!!

Guest TheHollies
So, does it mean that we will see movement in 5 cat in the near future? Say December, January...

hopefully santa will be bringing the visas to us with a big red bow on! :twitcy:

Well I'm so grateful for all the attendees and so sorry I couldn't make it - But I've made my intentions clear to the minster that he can have my visa money - Australia obviously need this cash. But there's no way in hell he will have our skills on a long term basis. On this occasion England 1 - Australia 0.

To add:

Skills and qualifications that the British tax payer have paid for - Why are we letting so many go on the tagline "It's sunny a lot"?

We are not desperate here in the UK!!!!!!

So sorry that you feel this way June Pixie. But if this IS the case, have you officially informed DAIC so that when it is your turn to get a case officer, he/she isn't wasting their time on your application when they could be working on someone else who desperately wants it. Being so strong on principles and fair go, I'm sure you wouldn't want to see someone else miss out on a visa if you were to get one that you have no intention of using. Just a thought.

I have to keep reading Ronnie's post over and over... I have a little tingle of excitement. Can this really be true!?!

How can we ever thank you guys for the great work today, getting the answers we have all been praying for!

Well done and a huge thanks from me and my family xxx:wubclub:

Many many thanks to Gill and the others, I cant get too excited I have a sneeky feeling that due to some personal reasons it may still be out of our grasp this time, but I shall keep everything that can be crossed, crossed in the hope that this pergatory may soon come to an end.

Please please please let this be good news:wubclub::wubclub:

Guest southerngent
I have to keep reading Ronnie's post over and over... I have a little tingle of excitement. Can this really be true!?!

How can we ever thank you guys for the great work today, getting the answers we have all been praying for!

Well done and a huge thanks from me and my family xxx:wubclub:

I have offically changed my mood from alienated to Relaxed - xmas is early and i dont feel such a tw-t for getting my meds done now:wink:

Archived