Protest Visit to Australia House - update

Guest Gollywobbler

I have offically changed my mood from alienated to Relaxed - xmas is early and i dont feel such a tw-t for getting my meds done now:wink:

PMSL... great minds think alike!!! I changed my mood too from not amused to amazed!!!

Lets hope what Mr W has said today is true and we can see some movement on our new 176 thread!!!:biggrin:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

I can second RonnieRockets views re. Mr Wilden and team - he certainly came across as an open and honest individual. He answered all of our questions where he could and will seek clarifications where he couldn't. I'm assuming these will go back to Gill and will be posted on PiO.

As a category 5-er the news that they are now processing some of us was most welcome. The caveat is of course that as and when cats 1-4 appear in the system then they are given priority so cat 5s will be processed in a somewhat stop start fashion in date order from when our main application was submitted. There will be some clarifications coming back from Mr Wilden and team re. how far back the cat5 list stretches.

I'm a WA SS applicant and asked about longevity of my sponsorship. I have had confirmation from ASPC that my SS would remain valid but Mr Wilden suggested that I also confirm this direct with WA, which I will be doing next! Mr Wilden also confirmed that WA were very vocal in challenging the new policy.

As Ronnie states, meds will timeout and no refund available. There is a discretionary 3 month extension that is sometimes granted wehn 12 month timelimit is reached, but very much on a case by base basis. There was a hint that those in extreme cicumstances e.g. where multiple meds have been provided over extremely protracted applications have a right to make further representations.

There was also some discussion around the definition of a dependent which can in some cicumstances extend beyond 18 yrs of age by some years. Again, it sounded like there's discretion applied by DIAC in this regard.

Further changes to MODL expected by Xmas 09, more changes to CSL and quotas expected too.

Thats all from my notes.

Thanks again to Gill for sorting out the meeting and it was great to put a face to some of the user names on here :)

Dan

PMSL... great minds think alike!!! I changed my mood too from not amused to amazed!!!

Lets hope what Mr W has said today is true and we can see some movement on our new 176 thread!!!:biggrin:

Yes. It was "a word". A trusted word.

Nevertheless, we should wait and see how it works.

Dear Fellow PIO members,

The first thing I would like to state is the following;

Mr.Wilden has confirmed that the 3500 cases they are dealing with are non-CSL CAT5 State sponsored applications, so that is applictions, not applicants. he also hastened to stress that there was no ommission of Trades from the process. His team were also keen to emphasis that they had worked through the CSL's and were now dealing with CAT5 aaplications.

RonnieRocket

This is really a great new for us SS applicants..... Good luck to all of us :wink: Thanks so much for this information....you have made our dreams brighter:biggrin:

Guest TheHollies

Mr Wilden said he would be getting in touch with Australia in regards to individual applications to find out timescales etc, was anything mentioned about this? when will he be getting in touch with them?

Guest Justin JIANG

We are expected to see that common sense would be applied on most of the situations above. For any government or its agencies, service provided would not generally meet 100% expectations, whenever there is 80% satisfaction or above or something similar to this rate, the policy or the service would be regarded as competent. In this case, debates on the issue would be minimized. As we all know that, in order to secure a SS, skills, funds, work experience, moral commitments should be checked before approval.From my personal view, those SS applicants may have a better employment outcome than those whose occupations are on the CSL list currently. Another issue is what Ronnie got from the mouth of Mr. Wilden that tradies would not be excluded-----another common sense and general fairness apply in this issue.

Mr Wilden said he would be getting in touch with Australia in regards to individual applications to find out timescales etc, was anything mentioned about this? when will he be getting in touch with them?

Further to my earlier e-mail, Mr.Wilden stated that those cases he is already making representation on, he will seek a 'case by case' response from DIAC, not a box standard blanket response from DIAC. I can't imagine we would not be privvy to these responses as I would imagine they would fall into the data protection catagory. If any of you out there do receive a personalised response from DIAC, please could you post your thoughts on here, so that it can give us all an indication as to how your case was dealt with.

As I mentioned yesterday, Mr.Wilden seemed very sincere and was certainly a positive role model for the term, 'People our Business'.

Anyway I'm off to work now to save up for those scheckles, clebbies etc to get out to Aus with.

Bye for now

Ronnie R

Guest Jamie Smith

From the M.I.A.

There have recently been reports and speculation about the processing of some State sponsored non- Critical Skills List (CSL) General Skilled Migration (GSM) applications.

These are the Tier (or Category) 5 applications: that is, applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the (CSL).

In order to provide realistic expectations for your clients, the MIA has been discussing the matter with DIAC to obtain an accurate statement of what is happening.

DIAC has today provided the MIA with the following statement:

“The Department is processing applications according to Ministerial Direction No. 42 - Order of consideration - certain Skilled Migration visas. The Department anticipates that a small number of State sponsored non-CSL applications will be finalised this program year. Finalisations will focus on applications where health and character checks have been requested by the case officer.”

:smile:

Guest TheHollies
From the M.I.A.

There have recently been reports and speculation about the processing of some State sponsored non- Critical Skills List (CSL) General Skilled Migration (GSM) applications.

These are the Tier (or Category) 5 applications: that is, applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the (CSL).

In order to provide realistic expectations for your clients, the MIA has been discussing the matter with DIAC to obtain an accurate statement of what is happening.

“The Department is processing applications according to Ministerial Direction No. 42 - Order of consideration - certain Skilled Migration visas. The Department anticipates that a small number of State sponsored non-CSL applications will be finalised this program year. Finalisations will focus on applications where health and character checks have been requested by the case officer.”

Thanks Jamie, our meds/police checks have been requested and met by the DIAC! :jiggy:

Well done Gill and "the team". Your proposal to present with a small, but well-prepared group was a masterstroke. Classy, professional and certainly effective. Demonstrations involving hundreds, as per one of the early suggestions, wouldn't have had the desired effect and could have done more harm than good.

Let's all hope that the Category 5's see some movement soon and that DIAC can then move on to some Category 6's giving us all some hope.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you (one for each of you) xx

From the M.I.A.

Looks like they're going to mock us once again by appeasing during meeting and doing something different instead.

Again priority among priority.

So, should we start another thread called "Cat 5 with meds requested by CO"??? Cat5.1?

How many more priorities there will be????

Fu...

Guest Jamie Smith

This is in line with what we were hoping they would do - keep processing those cases where they were decision ready.

The next pressure points are, in this order of achievement methinks

1. offer refunds to those recently lodged (just as soon as the Minister has the political will to get the legislation through, sooner rather than later methinks)
  2. to freeze ages of family at time of application (again just as soon as the Minister has the political will to get the legislation through, medium term, not sooner rather than later methinks, as the the voting public understand the grant of cash refunds easier than they do ageing issues)
  3. to restore SS to a higher priority (mid next year once DIAC get throught his messy period methinks),
  4. to communicate more effectively about timelines to allocate and also to process. Processing 75% within X months after allocation to a CO means nothing if a CO is not allocated for two years.... anytime starting now is good.

This is in line with what we were hoping they would do - keep processing those cases where they were decision ready.

If an application state that everythig is MET, medicals FINALIZED, all additional docs were submitted by CO request is it "decision ready" or should we wait until meds expire and the CO once again ask to provide them?

Will it be eligible for processing then? If so - make my meds expired and request them once again. I'll do them in a short period of time.

Cat 6 Changes

Mr Wilden will email me later regarding the expected timings of Cat 6. When i get these timings, I will forward his comments to this thread.

MODL Changes

The MODL changes will be announced BEFORE Christmas and the size program changes will be announcement in May.

Cat 5 priority

Mr Wilden mentioned that if you have already got your meds and police checks your visa application would be prioritised ahead of other in the Cat 5 applicants. This point was mentioned a few times. He is fully aware of the Meds timings out etc

Case officers

FYI -> A case officer can process about 30 applicants a week according to an ex Case officer who was in attendance!

Online DIAC System

Mr Wilden mentioned the online system is going to be updated next year with real time updates etc. David and Team accepted that updates can take time to be shown on the system.

2012/2013 timelines

These timelines are guides ONLY. As Rocker Ron pertained, your application could well be processed earlier (i don't have a crystal ball, unfortunately). Already the 3,500 applicants in the Cat 5 are being worked on. The Meds and police checks are taking priority.

Age dependency

The head of UK immigration (didn't get her name), who was very helpful and informed, said that a dependant can be aged up to 25 (ie if your child goes to Uni, for instance).

In Summary

Mr Wilden and team were helpful. I appreciate their comments were only words, but we felt they were delivered with sincerity and meaning. At the start of the 2 hour meeting, we did a round robin of each person's case which really drove home to the ministry the human factor the changes on 23rd September had on us, the POI members.

cheers

Nick

Guest Justin JIANG

Hey Nick,

Could you please clarify few of your points above?

1. In regards to MODL Changes, what do you mean by 'the size program changes will be announcement in May' ? MODL change would be announced before Chrismas---is it only a review outcome statement or a one which incorporates of occupations and various requirement to be secured a new MODL occupation?

2. Refer to 2012/2013 Timelines, what do you mean by' The Meds and police checks are taking priority'?

Guest guest33730

Can I ask any of the famous 5 or Gill, whether anything was said about allowing an extension in validity (of meds/police checks) for those who had supplied meds etc in good faith. I'm talking about those that they don't manage to process within the year of course.

For me this was one of the biggest injustices

Daniel

Guest Jamie Smith

The review of MODL is what will be complete by Christmas, not the policy changes that result from it. Recommendations from the review will need to be considered and then selected for implementation, and then turned into policy.

Guest Justin JIANG

Dear All,

I just find that if the information is correct as referred to the new thread on 1 Dec 2009----named SCREWTH-THAT WAS QUICK, a non-CSL, SS applicant has been granted a PR visa. However, we could see that his/her visa is not granted based on the date of lodgement while it's determined by the factor that he/she had been requested to provide the MEDS AND Penal Clearance. This is contradictory to what Dear Mr. Wilden (biggest boss in Europe for DIAC) has confirmed to the famous 5s attending the meeting in Australian House on 30 Nov 2009. (By the way, great congrats to TheHollies)

Cat 5 priority

Mr Wilden mentioned that if you have already got your meds and police checks your visa application would be prioritised ahead of other in the Cat 5 applicants. This point was mentioned a few times. He is fully aware of the Meds timings out etc

Looks like "have already got your meds" needs to be clarified further.

Hi All

At the end of the meeting, we wanted to clarify timings for forth coming DIAC changes. David simply said that the MODL changes would be announced before xmas. I can only assume it’s a review outcome statement. I cannot comment beyond that.

have already got your meds" -> I mean... If you have already submitted your Meds and Police checks to your case officer your Cat 5 application will be prioritised. Perhaps the other attendants could comment further?

It was a long meeting and every point and statement was not drilled down (or could not be) in the detail you probably want to hear. I am sure that Gill will add her comments soon to perhaps cover angles and questions that I cannot answer. Cheers Nick

Guest June Pixie
So sorry that you feel this way June Pixie. But if this IS the case, have you officially informed DAIC so that when it is your turn to get a case officer, he/she isn't wasting their time on your application when they could be working on someone else who desperately wants it. Being so strong on principles and fair go, I'm sure you wouldn't want to see someone else miss out on a visa if you were to get one that you have no intention of using. Just a thought.

No of course I haven't informed DIAC because I paid my visa application money in good faith and I'm not just throwing it away, along with TRA fees, translations, IELTS, certifying, agents fees and other related costs. I have estimated over 3 years we have now spent the best part of £4,000!. I have a CO now and they did request meds and police checks just before the eye of the storm, luckily I took the advice from people on PIO and didn't get them done. When the time comes to get them done again I will and I will go and validate with the family on a holiday and then I will have 5 years to maybe go to Australia to live for 2 years to give ME (The person who went throught this process, a new experience). My daughter will have the opportunity to at least use her PR status during this time, even if we don't!

I understand what you mean with the 'fair go' theory but it doesn't wash with me any longer. I started this process all bright eyed and bushy tailed and being dumped on by Australia sours you a bit but there's no way I'm throwing my money away - Sorry if that upsets anyone who is desperate to get to Australia and feels I'm throwing away their 'golden ticket'.

Can I ask any of the famous 5 or Gill, whether anything was said about allowing an extension in validity (of meds/police checks) for those who had supplied meds etc in good faith. I'm talking about those that they don't manage to process within the year of course.

For me this was one of the biggest injustices

Daniel

Hi "Bring me Sunshine" - please see Gills response below that better answers your question!

A lovely lady called Jane Sansom is the Principal Migration Officer for the UK and Ireland. She was present throughout the meeting yesterday and she provided loads of useful advice.

Mrs Sansom said that the Case Officers have discretion to extend the validity of the meds by 3 months in circumstances where there are no meds issues. The same is probably true for PCCs too.

The validity of meds can actually be extended for six months but for a six month extension the CO has to get permission from the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth. This was done for the Contributory Parents at the beginning of 2008 when DIAC ran out of visas for them. On that occasion the Parents Visa Centre organised a blanket extension for six months in all the straightforward cases where health was not a problem.

Guest recherche
Hi All

At the end of the meeting, we wanted to clarify timings for forth coming DIAC changes. David simply said that the MODL changes would be announced before xmas. I can only assume it’s a review outcome statement. I cannot comment beyond that.

have already got your meds" -> I mean... If you have already submitted your Meds and Police checks to your case officer your Cat 5 application will be prioritised. Perhaps the other attendants could comment further?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.. Im based in Asia, and this forum is the only place that I can get updates and such.. My agent has revealed very little since the changes.

Im not sure if its possible.. but is there anyway to clarify what Mr Wilden has said regarding the priotisation of application if meds and police checks have been submitted?

Im sure there are a few of us who are anxious as we have frontloaded our meds and police checks before we have a CO..

and there's a discrepancy from what Mr Wilden said and the statement released by DIAC to MIA... that only those applications that have been requested by their COs to do meds and police checks will be processed by this financial year..

When can the rest of us (Cat 5) expect our applications to be processed?

Thanks once again!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.. Im based in Asia, and this forum is the only place that I can get updates and such.. My agent has revealed very little since the changes.

Im not sure if its possible.. but is there anyway to clarify what Mr Wilden has said regarding the priotisation of application if meds and police checks have been submitted?

Im sure there are a few of us who are anxious as we have frontloaded our meds and police checks before we have a CO..

and there's a discrepancy from what Mr Wilden said and the statement released by DIAC to MIA... that only those applications that have been requested by their COs to do meds and police checks will be processed by this financial year..

When can the rest of us (Cat 5) expect our applications to be processed?

Thanks once again!

Hi,

You raise a good point. I suggest you contact Mr Wilden directy to clarify your point... his email has been posted earlier in the thead. thanks Nick

Archived