Protest Visit to Australia House - update

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest recherche

yes im a non-pommy.. and have been following this forum since the september changes.. this is a great and informative forum! good luck to Gill and all who are going to Australia House =)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest recherche
Hi Gill,

Fantastic stuff indeed. Nothing new to add, just comments...

I agree wholeheartedly on this point. As a rule of thumb, I think everyone with meds and penals requested should be processed. Applicants had applied with a good understanding of published timelines, and expectations and plans were made based on them. These constant retroactive changes are destructive and unjust, that do little but diminish our faith in the country's skilled migration programme and the parties running it.

I nearly missed this point! Many thanks for being inclusive. Forumers aka applicants in limbo who are not based in the UK have turned turned to the PIO community for solace, unadulterated information, professional advice, and I count myself as one of them. I'm sure there are non-pommie members and lurkers amongst us who are watching this forum closely as events unfold.

If I recall correctly, the 23/9 direction made it clear to applicants not to contact COs, and any attempts to have questions meaningfully answered would be but in vain. A system-generated response directing to the announcement on 23/9 would be at best. Obviously, an applicant in the USA, China or India approaching the Australian High Commission in London would not be appropriate channel.

We want the immigration department to show transparency and involvement in managing this mess. Pointing us in the right direction, and as you mentioned publishing contacts of his counterparts based overseas is a small step forward in showing commitment to making meaningful communication with distressed applicants in limbo.

Thanks!

im a non-pommy.. and have been following this forum since the september changes.. this is a great and informative forum! good luck to Gill and all who are going to Australia House =)

Gill and others!

We have made well done questions to be answered but dont you think we should also give him a kind of a petition of what we want to happen, possible solutions etc.?

It can be similar to the MIA Submisson to the immi mimister. Something that can clearly state our demands and also can be refered to media like: "PomsInOz members have raised issues: ..... and they have proposed ways to solve them: ......."

As for me I would like once again repeat this:

"1. First of all, this year DIAC should finalise those applications which are decision ready, in other words, everything is "MET" and medicals "finalised".

2. Start processing every application in date of lodgement. Should they want to add priorities DIAC may give different time (or number of stuff) for different applications. Say, 40% time is devoted to CSL, 30% to State sponsored, 20% to old MODL and 10% to other. But, don't leave somebody in "limbo".

3. Last but not least, stop making changes with retroactive effect. Don't spoil Australian migration image. "

Gill good luck tomorrow for your meeting. Thank you for all the hard work you have been doing on everyone's behalf. It really is appreciated.

It's interesting that when we tell our Australian friends what is happening to would be immigrants, they are appalled and embarrassed at the way they are being treated, and feel concerned about the image that Australia is portraying to the rest of the world.

I don't think anyone should have to go through this. Migrants make informed decisions to move, carry out extensive research in the prospective adopted country of choice and take proactive steps to move. Skilled migrants especially should be considered as invaluable human resource that contribute to the growth of an economy, boost population numbers in an increasingly aging population, among other benefits.

It is simply short-sighted to close the doors on all skilled migrants and say, "We'll take you in when our economy improves".

However, the crux of the issue is that deserving skilled applicants who have applied in good faith with medicals and penals met are now looking at a possible 3-year limbo.

I received the following reply from Mr Wilden:

Dear ******* family

Thanks for getting in contact. As I am in a hotel room on a blackberry my response is a bit brief. I shall go back to Australia on your case and update you as soon as I have information

Regards

David

Good luck to all the guys making the London trip tomorrow - it is greatly appreciated by all of those who could not attend and a huge thank you for your efforts on all our behalfs

Donna x :cute:

Guest HoriFTC

Although I am not British, but will keep my fingers crossed and wish you all the best and good luck for tomorrow!

A very disappointed GSM visa applicant (engineering manager) from Budapest.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Monday Team!

I have just had an e-mail from David Wilden who has asked that we do NOT bring a laptop tomorrow. Apparently external devices are not permitted in the Embassy on security grounds. If we need any particular web pages, Mr Wilden can arrange for his staff to print and copy them.

Mr Wilden has been reading this thread this arvo, which is excellent news and should save a lot of time tomorrow, so very well done and very many thanks to him. That is how he knows about my idea of a laptop and has stepped in to scotch it.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

If you guys have access to internet, I've compiled a list of links to some important threads in this forum, in case you need to pull up something quickly...

Would it also be worthwhile to mention the petition [8] against the 23/9 changes?

[1] Protest Visit to Australia House - update

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/73109-protest-visit-australia-house-update.html

[2] Protest Visit to Australia House in London?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71907-protest-visit-australia-house-london.html

[3] Future of migration for existing applicants

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71786-future-migration-existing-applicants.html

[4] What would you say to the Minister of Immigration? Really.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really.html

[5] *Newsflash* States meeting with DIAC tomorrow (Tuesday) on GSM priorities

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/72289-newsflash-states-meeting-diac-tomorrow-tuesday-gsm-priorities.html

[6] New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration.html

[7] Attention Non CSL IN FINAL STAGES MAKE A STAND

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69943-attention-non-csl-final-stages-make-stand.html

[8] Please support our petition against September changes

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70367-please-support-our-petition-against-september-changes.html

Hi Monday Team!

I have just had an e-mail from David Wilden who has asked that we do NOT bring a laptop tomorrow. Apparently external devices are not permitted in the Embassy on security grounds. If we need any particular web pages, Mr Wilden can arrange for his staff to do do print and copy them.

Mr Wilden has been reading this thread this arvo, which is excellent news and should save a lot of time tomorrow, so very well done and very many thanks to him. That is how he knows about my idea of a laptop and has stepped in to scotch it.

Cheers

Gill

Oh, saw this post tad too late, but hope the links will come in handy anyhow :wink:

Guest TheHollies

Just want to wish you all the best of luck and many thanks for tomorrow. Really hope that it brings us all some good news soon.

Big thanks to Gill and Mr. Wilden for the help and support. :notworthy:

Guest Glenn Pereira

All the best Gill.

The on shore job ready test and on-shore GSM is likely to be announced around mid Dec.

I anticipate TRA new UAC and the off-shore GSM is likely to be announced at the same time.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Merlino

Thanks for all of the links. Even though we can't take a laptop tomorrow, the sun is now over the yardarm (nearly 6pm) so I plan to settle down with a drink and read through all the various threads to make sure I've picked up the important points in each one. The links will save me fishing through the forum to find all the threads, so I really am very grateful for your help with this. :notworthy::hug:

The weather forecast for tomorrow is dire in the South. Glad rags might have to be rugs!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
All the best Gill.

The on shore job ready test and on-shore GSM is likely to be announced around mid Dec.

I anticipate TRA new UAC and the off-shore GSM is likely to be announced at the same time.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Hi Glenn

Thanks very much indeed for this information.

I and the others will each write our own accounts of the meeting tomorrow, after all of us get home. We'll add them to this thread.

Cheers

Gill

Guest guest33730

Hi Gill et al,

On behalf of those who have been fortunate to receive our visa's (and in my case probably a beneficiary of the 23rd Sept changes) I just wanted to say you still have our support. I have been reading all the threads on this matter with great interest since joining PIO and although I am not qualified to speak on the legislation I do take great interest where injustice happens.

IMHO this matter seems totally incongruous with everything that has attracted me to the great nation of Australia. I had understood that one of the great benefits of being a 'new nation' was that it wouldn't have to copy the mistakes of the older ones. I have found the stories of those affected by the decision quite harrowing at times, how a decision, taken for political ends without regard for the individuals trapped in a process which is already stressful enough, by a progressive democratic government is totally beyond me. It is made worse because that decision is obviously reactionary, ill thought out, against the wishes of the regional governments and will need to be altered again in due course.

I hate injustice with a passion, it goes against everything that is 'right' with this world and although the decision may be legal (how, I really can't understand) it is certainly not 'just' and I would even say 'moral'.

So although I have my RSMS visa probably much quicker than I would have done without the debacle, I am with you 100% and hope you can influence not just this decision but maybe also help make the DIAC (and particularly the politicians behind it) think twice before being so insensitive to those aspiring to be part of the Great South Land!! - Maybe even I don't have the faith for that!!

Daniel

Hi Gill et al,

On behalf of those who have been fortunate to receive our visa's (and in my case probably a beneficiary of the 23rd Sept changes) I just wanted to say you still have our support. I have been reading all the threads on this matter with great interest since joining PIO and although I am not qualified to speak on the legislation I do take great interest where injustice happens.

IMHO this matter seems totally incongruous with everything that has attracted me to the great nation of Australia. I had understood that one of the great benefits of being a 'new nation' was that it wouldn't have to copy the mistakes of the older ones. I have found the stories of those affected by the decision quite harrowing at times, how a decision, taken for political ends without regard for the individuals trapped in a process which is already stressful enough, by a progressive democratic government is totally beyond me. It is made worse because that decision is obviously reactionary, ill thought out, against the wishes of the regional governments and will need to be altered again in due course.

I hate injustice with a passion, it goes against everything that is 'right' with this world and although the decision may be legal (how, I really can't understand) it is certainly not 'just' and I would even say 'moral'.

So although I have my RSMS visa probably much quicker than I would have done without the debacle, I am with you 100% and hope you can influence not just this decision but maybe also help make the DIAC (and particularly the politicians behind it) think twice before being so insensitive to those aspiring to be part of the Great South Land!! - Maybe even I don't have the faith for that!!

Daniel

Ohh. Such a nice post!! :hug:

Just want to add a one thought.

I think this migration process might become a good lesson for all of us. So in the future, when we finally become Ozzy, we won't let something like this happens ones again by paying thorough notice who we elect and what they realy do out of public attention.

"New nation" deserves better destiny.

Guest Jamie Smith

COME ON YOU LOT! :realmad:

It's time to be counted!

A few here have worked long and hard to get some traction on this issue, and they are not visa applicants.

Please, DO go out of your way to attend the meeting, it's the least you can do as a beneficiary of the free work being done by others.

It's your dream and your life to chase today. And it might get you a visa!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your post.

I believe that a grave injustice is being perpetrated here. Any sort of legal provision that works retroactively never fails to cause such injustice, which is why civilised societies eschew it.

I disapprove of injustice. It causes unpredictable and not necessarily avoidable harm to innocent people who signed up - in good faith - for what they believed was a predictable, viable deal at the time when they signed up for it.

Three times the Minister for Immi got up on his soapbox and insisted that State sponsorship was the way to go if employer sponsorship could not be secured instead. In good faith, the migration advice industry believed him and so did all GSM applicants, plus the odd commentator like me.

In late September it emerged that the Minister did not believe his own words. He reneged on his assurances about the value of State sponsorship. It is now clear that if your occupation is not on the second version of the CSL, this man has simply been wasting your time, money and effort all along.

He now has a high, steep, hard moral hill to climb as far as I am concerned. Why should I believe another word from a man who has shown me what a turncoat he is?

The most senior members of his Department have also acted like arrogant twits. Nobody wants to hear them defending their bluddy Minister. What I want to know is what does DIAC intend to DO about preventing harm to innocent individuals whose best interests will be materially damaged by the Aussie Government's inability or unwillingness to treat visa applicants openly, honestly and fairly, with honour and consistency and with the sense of responsibility that we are all entitled to expect from people in a posiition of trust? So far the lot of them have behaved like carpet salesmen in a souk, which is simply not good enough. It is easily possible to have infinitely more respect for the snake charmers on the banks of the Ganges at this rate. (The British Govt is three times worse imho but luckily this is not about them.)

DIAC have more than enough clout of their own to enable them to put their foot down with their vascillating Minister and to insist that Agencies of the Australian Government cannot have their own reputations on the world stage being wrecked by inexperienced pollies who are nothing but a five minute flash in the pan as far as the history of Australia will be concerned.

The whole escapade is unbelievably foolish and in the cyber age of instant, cheap communication amongst everyone in the Global Village, the Aussies are dreaming if they imagine that anyone outside Oz needs to learn how to work a didgeridoo in order to ensure that Bad News about Australia gets around fast.

Cheers

Gill

Hi all and Gill,

I have not posted in a while, I am very sorry but I am not able to attend as I have just taken on a new job for which time off is not an option. I did want to be there to see if they had any real answers.... I have no doubt at all if anyone can get this information then Gill is the person for the job. I wish everyone atttending all the best and hope to read the results soon. Sorry again I cant be there again.

Rob

Guest TheHollies
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your post.

I believe that a grave injustice is being perpetrated here. Any sort of legal provision that works retroactively never fails to cause such injustice, which is why civilised societies eschew it.

I disapprove of injustice. It causes unpredictable and not necessarily avoidable harm to innocent people who signed up - in good faith - for what they believed was a predictable, viable deal at the time when they signed up for it.

Three times the Minister for Immi got up on his soapbox and insisted that State sponsorship was the way to go if employer sponsorship could not be secured instead. In good faith, the migration advice industry believed him and so did all GSM applicants, plus the odd commentator like me.

In late September it emerged that the Minister did not believe his own words. He reneged on his assurances about the value of State sponsorship. It is now clear that if your occupation is not on the second version of the CSL, this man has simply been wasting your time, money and effort all along.

He now has a high, steep, hard moral hill to climb as far as I am concerned. Why should I believe another word from a man who has shown me what a turncoat he is?

The most senior members of his Department have also acted like arrogant twits. Nobody wants to hear them defending their bluddy Minister. What I want to know is what does DIAC intend to DO about preventing harm to innocent individuals whose best interests will be materially damaged by the Aussie Government's inability or unwillingness to treat visa applicants openly, honestly and fairly, with honour and consistency and with the sense of responsibility that we are all entitled to expect from people in a posiition of trust? So far the lot of them have behaved like carpet salesmen in a souk, which is simply not good enough. It is easily possible to have infinitely more respect for the snake charmers on the banks of the Ganges at this rate. (The British Govt is three times worse imho but luckily this is not about them.)

DIAC have more than enough clout of their own to enable them to put their foot down with their vascillating Minister and to insist that Agencies of the Australian Government cannot have their own reputations on the world stage being wrecked by inexperienced pollies who are nothing but a five minute flash in the pan as far as the history of Australia will be concerned.

The whole escapade is unbelievably foolish and in the cyber age of instant, cheap communication amongst everyone in the Global Village, the Aussies are dreaming if they imagine that anyone outside Oz needs to learn how to work a didgeridoo in order to ensure that Bad News about Australia gets around fast.

Cheers

Gill

Really hope that the minister reads these posts, you should be the next immi minister Gill, the job would get done properly and theres plenty of people who would vote for you on here!! :notworthy:

Guest Justin JIANG
All the best Gill.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Hey Glenn,

Could you please share some more information on this issue? on-shore GSM---do you mean the new MODL list for on-shore would be annuounced around mid Dec? Or new MODL review outcome only without the detail occupations being revealed?

Archived