Why More Northern Folk than Southern in Oz.

Guest flipflop

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do actually speak the queen's English haha, well apart from occasionally I don't pronounce my t's. I don't even use any slang.

And Byrned that's a stupid statement.

He's only arsing about chickx:wink:,tbh the split on here seems to be about even between north and south,you reckon?

I'd find it interesting to see if there are more migrants to oz from the north or south,but im a crank like that:goofy:

Well all I can say is that me and the OH have regularly travelled from Bristol to Oldham to meet up with some families who are emigrating some have already emigrated ( Hi Sue) and they have all been really friendly and welcoming and warm.

The same as where I live but with "funny accents" :biglaugh:

And yes before you all say it I do sound like a farmer! :biglaugh:

Well all I can say is that me and the OH have regularly travelled from Bristol to Oldham to meet up with some families who are emigrating some have already emigrated ( Hi Sue) and they have all been really friendly and welcoming and warm.

The same as where I live but with "funny accents" :biglaugh:

And yes before you all say it I do sound like a farmer! :biglaugh:

Bristols great! dead sexy accent i reckon,nice and soft and freindly sounding,unlike ours.

I used to love a bevvy in the naval volunteer and round the city,the sedan chair,the grannery club,cotham porters stores(the cider house),bevvied in Hartcliffe as well,few scousers live there,bit rough but sound place.

We worked there on and off for CH Pearce,stayed in redlands,and top of St micheals hill..WHAT a climb after loads of grog!

Then i stayed in me mates in armoury square,near st pauls,top drawer:notworthy:

Thanks Cath :wubclub: I agree with you completely, it shouldn't matter where you're from as long as you're up for a laugh and your heart's in the right place:hug:

See! Me and Cath are the poster girls for 'How to Overcome the North-South Divide' :wink:

Sue x

Guest guest37336

I now officially reside in Fenny Drayton, apparently the centre of England. I have the best of all worlds.

When I travel west I adopt a Welsh accent and look longingly at sheep.

When I travel east I adopt a Norfolk accent and grow six fingers to fit in with the locals.

When I travel south I adopt a so called Queens english accent and look down on everybody.

And when I travel north I weld my wallet to my thigh and take care of the moths that are in it.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest wobob

I live about 25 miles north of Manchester and I can definitely say the weather is dismal compared with down south. It rains pretty much everyday (not all day but everyday) and its definitely colder - the scale of the difference was brought home to me last summer, when we went down to see the OH's sister somewhere south of Milton Keynes. On the morning we left I was in vest and short skirt, it was 24 degrees and brilliant sunshine. By the time we got to the M62 exit on the M6 on our way home it was 14 degrees and p***ing down with rain. It depressed the hell out of me.

I think Manchester is particularly bad because of the geography, the clouds drop all their rain as they rise to go over the Pennines.

My parents got so depressed about the string of rubbish summers with their retirement looming, they went and got a house in the south of france. Which is great, but I don't speak fluent French so its not really feasible for us because we have to work. So Oz it is......

Guest brooksey

Yep. Thats why all the sensible people live on the white rose side of the pennines. You lot get most of the rain.

As a former soldier i was based most of my time in the south even though I was from the north. I would say weather wise there isn't much difference between them. But what I do like about Australia is the fact the aussies love gravy on their chips, and on anything they can put it on. Also I find that the aussies are as friendly as northerners as well.

Guest wobob
Yep. Thats why all the sensible people live on the white rose side of the pennines. You lot get most of the rain.

I wouldn't live on the wrong side of the pennines if you paid me - its fecking freezing over that way. Plus none of you can make a decent brew and your pints are always flatter than a Northern vowel:tongue:

It is sad when it comes to leaving a forum that you've come to for help...

I think I know just everything I need to know but was hoping to offer my views to others who might need impartial help...

But we'll see

Hope you get your dream

Howard

I'd be interested in listening (or reading) your story. I love reading about people's journies to and from and around Australia. I don't think I will leave for good, as I've gotten to know some lovely people on here, but I am thinking a break is in order...

Lately I seem to be (unintentionally) getting on the wrong side of people and I'm fed up with having to defend myself when in reality it wouldn't be a problem, at least for me it wouldn't, because -on this particular topic- when I hear someone with a northern accent I don't judge them for it, so I would and do hate to be judged on the basis that I'm southern.

It is sad when it comes to leaving a forum that you've come to for help...

I think I know just everything I need to know but was hoping to offer my views to others who might need impartial help...

But we'll see

Hope you get your dream

Howard

Dont yer think yer taking things a bit serious mucker?most people are just arsing round,nothing serious like,imo anyway

I'd be interested in listening (or reading) your story. I love reading about people's journies to and from and around Australia. I don't think I will leave for good, as I've gotten to know some lovely people on here, but I am thinking a break is in order...

Lately I seem to be (unintentionally) getting on the wrong side of people and I'm fed up with having to defend myself when in reality it wouldn't be a problem, at least for me it wouldn't, because -on this particular topic- when I hear someone with a northern accent I don't judge them for it, so I would and do hate to be judged on the basis that I'm southern.

I keep telling yer chickx,DONT worry about getting on peoples wick! i do it all the time:biggrin:

Nothing wrong with southerners mate,people are good and bad wherever yer go,easy innit!

Dont you be going off PIO,you amuse me in a quirky/kooky kinda way(NOT meant bad btw!):wubclub:

Guest Guest9973

As Pablo says------------ don't leave.

It is in fun :biggrin::biggrin:

It is lovely not to be judged by my northern accent here in Oz btw.

They just have trouble understanding me.

:laugh:

Guest Guest9973
I keep telling yer chickx,DONT worry about getting on peoples wick! i do it all the time:biggrin:

Nothing wrong with southerners mate,people are good and bad wherever yer go,easy innit!

Dont you be going off PIO,you amuse me in a quirky/kooky kinda way(NOT meant bad btw!):wubclub:

After to talking to you Pabs I actually understood what they were saying on the UK gangster film "The Crew" last night.

Based your way:cute:

I must admit I do have trouble understanding some northern accents and feel embarassed to keep saying 'pardon?' :eek:

"pardon" is nice mate,mostly people just look at me and nod their head and smile,and yer just know they have'nt understood a word!!:biglaugh:

Never really realised till i went the states and was asked if i was german or austrian!!!

And the aussies thought we were scottish!!!:goofy:

Archived