Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Thanks Susie and Nat!!

I'm ok now! They have just phoned me... the Jeffery's (minus 1) are in Sydney airport looking for the car hire company! About to start their drive from Sydney to Canberra :-S

Will keep u all posted on their travels :) xx

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

So I thought I best send a little message on here as i haven't heard from you all for a while!

How is everyone?!

All ticking along here in the UK! Parents and sisters are enjoying Canberra - they are off to the beach today lucky buggers!

I'm counting down the days until i arrive... will be leaving in 29 days wahooo

Anyways hope you are all ok!

Emma x

Guest Ange DB

Hello All

Havent been in Pominoz for ages! Still waiting for ACT SS been told its being dealt with now...so hopefully in another month may have it as that seems like an age ago too! That long ago that I am now 5 months pregnant (baby girl due March) so will be coming to Canberra with 2 little people which is good.

Will make an effort to keep on pominoz its nice to see what everyone is doing..

Ange x

Well, we arrived in Canberra just under two weeks ago, albeit that spent four days in Melbourne visiting my brother and family. Liking what we see to date and now focussing on areas in which to find a longer term rent other wise we are homeless in just over three weeks. Been off to Batemans Bay today, well worth the trip and as it was a week day not much in the way of traffic. Also found a beach to ourselves which was also nice.

Can not wait for Squem to arrive, 29-days is far to long to have to wait and we are counting the days down til then.

Not long until we arrive now - we fly in just over six weeks. Very nervous now, but just want to get on with it. Pickfords booked for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd of December, then we are at Mums for a few weeks. Got lots to sort when we first arrive, but aim to chill and have a month of visiting relatives and the beach first.

Received ACT state sponsorship today!! Yeah its happening now, new baby due March happy days!!

Hi Ange, DB

Well done on the state sponsorship, just the visa to go I suspect. My family (all except Squem) and I arrived just over two weeks ago and absolutely love it here.

good luck

Getting really warm now isn't it

yes it is getting really warm, but I am managing to struggle through the +30C temperatures that we are getting, I must admit to loving the slightly milder mornings and evenings :-)

Received ACT state sponsorship today!! Yeah its happening now, new baby due March happy days!!

Hi Ange - when did you send your application for State Sponsorship, I'm still waiting for mine to come through. When you submit visa will you be on the revised priority processing times? Good luck!

Guest Ange DB
Hi Ange, DB

Well done on the state sponsorship, just the visa to go I suspect. My family (all except Squem) and I arrived just over two weeks ago and absolutely love it here.

good luck

Thanks, I have just found out processing times for visa could take upto 3 years! But hopefully worth the wait. Glad to hear you are enjoying Canberra my dad visted earlier this year he really loved it.

yes it is getting really warm, but I am managing to struggle through the +30C temperatures that we are getting, I must admit to loving the slightly milder mornings and evenings :-)

Alright you two stop rubbing it in!!

Ange_DB > fingers crossed it isnt 3 years :-S although to be fair ours took 2 years and the time flew by :)

Alright you two stop rubbing it in!!

Ange_DB > fingers crossed it isnt 3 years :-S although to be fair ours took 2 years and the time flew by :)

Squem, you will hopefully enjoy the weather when you get here in a couple of weeks time.

Nik_Kershaw, We have now found a longer term rental in Wanniassa which ticks all our boxes, paperwork signed at the beginning of the week, so we are not going to be homeless. We move in as Squem arrives

Ange DB, the whole process was two years for us, but the after we obtained state sponsorship we were luck in that it only took 4-5months to complete from there, but we did get lucky as our visa type was a reasonably high priority. Our visa was a GSM 176 state sponsored visa. Good luck with yours and lets hope it is not three years. Glad your dad liked it, we love it.

Hi,

I appear to be in the same situation as Squem - family already there and heading over in next couple of weeks. Still havent booked flight (will be done this weekend)

I've been back and forth so I know what I'm letting myself in for but I'm really nervous about leaving my friends and moving out of my flat etc...

What's worrying me more is the fact that I have no proper friends there, and I'm starting over completely.My family have been there for 6 years, so they are settled and in jobs.

I imagine it will be pretty hard not going out every weekend like I'm used to and only having my family there......

Absolutely dreading saying goodbye!

Hi,

I appear to be in the same situation as Squem - family already there and heading over in next couple of weeks. Still havent booked flight (will be done this weekend)

I've been back and forth so I know what I'm letting myself in for but I'm really nervous about leaving my friends and moving out of my flat etc...

What's worrying me more is the fact that I have no proper friends there, and I'm starting over completely.My family have been there for 6 years, so they are settled and in jobs.

I imagine it will be pretty hard not going out every weekend like I'm used to and only having my family there......

Hi

good luck on your move over. We moved here just over three weeks ago (without Squem, she arrives on the 2nd :biggrin:) and are new to Canberra, but love what we have found so far. Our youngest daughter (17) has made a couple of friends and been invited to a party already and people here are very accomodating in wanting to introduce them to her kids, so she is coping very well with it. My second daughter who was hell bent on going to Adelaide has had a major mind change having now visited Canberra and is looking forward to come back with her boyfrined early next year as she goes back next week; she is 20, and Squem is coming over in early December, but I know it has been daunting at times for them as it has been for us; but I am sure it will all work out fine for you.

Good luck

Guest siamsusie
Hi

good luck on your move over. We moved here just over three weeks ago (without Squem, she arrives on the 2nd :biggrin:) and are new to Canberra, but love what we have found so far. Our youngest daughter (17) has made a couple of friends and been invited to a party already and people here are very accomodating in wanting to introduce them to her kids, so she is coping very well with it. My second daughter who was hell bent on going to Adelaide has had a major mind change having now visited Canberra and is looking forward to come back with her boyfrined early next year as she goes back next week; she is 20, and Squem is coming over in early December, but I know it has been daunting at times for them as it has been for us; but I am sure it will all work out fine for you.

Good luck

So delighted that you are settling in guys. Sqemy has been keeping us abreast of how you are going on Messenger Looking forward to your updates, I know she is missing you:wubclub: ss x

Guest Ange DB
Hi Ange - when did you send your application for State Sponsorship, I'm still waiting for mine to come through. When you submit visa will you be on the revised priority processing times? Good luck!

Hi Toops

Our SS was stamped by ACT 4 Aug 09 as received as a complete application.. when it got allocated a couple of weeks ago our approval was dealt with immediately so thats good.. Our Visa could take up to the end of 2012! but with a new baby in March we will be kept busy..and maybe more jobs available in Oz by then too.

I see you are local!

Ange

Hi,

Hey LH071

How are you?

I'm very much like you and nervous too... i'm scared about meeting people my own age! It's alot easier when you are younger but hey ho gotta take a risk in life sometimes! Much prefer australia to the UK so my nerves are gradually disappearing!

So do your parents live in Canberra LH?

I'm heading out here on Nov 30th for 2 weeks then come back and will probably head back over there at the beginning of the year!

Speak to you soon

Emma

Hi Toops

Our SS was stamped by ACT 4 Aug 09 as received as a complete application.. when it got allocated a couple of weeks ago our approval was dealt with immediately so thats good.. Our Visa could take up to the end of 2012! but with a new baby in March we will be kept busy..and maybe more jobs available in Oz by then too.

I see you are local!

Ange

Hi Ange

We should hear any day now, so our agent tells us :-) I put my heart and soul into the Sponsorship form - did lots of research on costs, job prospects etc. We were hoping for the 3 - 6 months visa processing but thats all gone to pot now so we will do the same as you... wait.. and keep positive. Keep in touch, we might be making plans at the same time. Good luck with the baby, thats lovely news for you. It's a fab website and makes the move seem less daunting having people to talk to and discuss where we are all up to. Take care.

Hey LH071

How are you?

I'm very much like you and nervous too... i'm scared about meeting people my own age! It's alot easier when you are younger but hey ho gotta take a risk in life sometimes! Much prefer australia to the UK so my nerves are gradually disappearing!

So do your parents live in Canberra LH?

I'm heading out here on Nov 30th for 2 weeks then come back and will probably head back over there at the beginning of the year!

Speak to you soon

Emma

Well I'm the same age as you and to be honest it's good to know someone else is in same situation as me!

mum, bro and sis live there, although sis is here to see dad at the moment and won't be back til January.

I'm planning on speaking to mum this weekend to get flights sorted..... sadness is disappearing and nerves are kicking in now :eek:

Archived