SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Hi @Leesweeting, do you mind sharing the initals of your CO? Through reading many posts we have found it seems to be best not to contact your CO so that the process isn't slowed down any but in your case it seems you've had a great CO to have told you that you are now waiting on moving up the approval pile!!! Did you ask many questions or just the one to see how you were progressing? Fingers crossed you are approved soon :) Thanks in advance for any info you are able to provide.

Hi Leftyandstumpy! I lodged my application through the immi account system and have had regular contact with the immigration department throughout. Contact however has not always been direct with my CO, a lot of the e-mail responses i have received have been signed "on behalf" of my CO. However they have always been helpful in answering any quires i may have had.

A couple of weeks after i had completed the application process my wife found out about a possible employment opportunity in Australia, she expressed interest and had a positive response from the perspective employer. However this means that she would have to be in Australia this coming October, which caused concern to us, considering that i did not know if my visa would be granted at all, or in that timeframe. I explaining this situation to my CO and got the following response,

"Your visa will be granted, provided there are no adverse changes to your circumstances, such as police convictions, a relationship breakdown or health concerns". The processing time until the actual grant date is still around 8 to 9 months from date of lodgement. This is not an exact figure, so it may take longer, however if I am able to grant the visa sooner I will let you know immediately."

My advice to anybody that has not heard anything from their CO, and has completed the application process, is to get in touch with their CO and just ask the question. At the end of the day this is a life changing decision, and one that people have a lot riding on. I'm sure the department understand this and should be willing to alleviate some of your worries/concerns?

Hope that helps?

Thanks all, some very comforting and reassuring answers therin, it seems a tough long road and i find the mental strain tougher than the physical side, it is quite hard, but I am paid to think a lot so not a surprise really! I e-mailed my agent at GM and he more or less said its just a waiting game from now on so i guess i am happy with that, i obtained a multiple entry ETA very early on in the process which is valid until next May so I shouldnt have any issues with cross over and I will aim to be out of OZ during most of October as I have some great friends in NZ so hopefully i will get the grant while over there, as for looking for work beforehand I think it is more of a browse for a month or two to see what i want to do as I am qualified in so many different occupations, plus i am lucky enough to already have a house i am leasing and no financial issues, but its still a huge jump !!! Good luck to all with their apps and just remember you are NOT alone !!

Edited by Thewriter

Thanks all, some very comforting and reassuring answers therin, it seems a tough long road and i find the mental strain tougher than the physical side, it is quite hard, but I am paid to think a lot so not a surprise really! I e-mailed my agent at GM and he more or less said its just a waiting game from now on so i guess i am happy with that, i obtained a multiple entry ETA very early on in the process which is valid until next May so I shouldnt have any issues with cross over and I will aim to be out of OZ during most of October as I have some great friends in NZ so hopefully i will get the grant while over there, as for looking for work beforehand I think it is more of a browse for a month or two to see what i want to do as I am qualified in so many different occupations, plus i am lucky enough to already have a house i am leasing and no financial issues, but its still a huge jump !!! Good luck to all with their apps and just remember you are NOT alone !!

Hiya! Id suggest asking your person at GM sending email to your CO and asking how your medical went and the current status of your application ad will your application be granted.

Thsnks for all the advice people I have just recived a email from immi with my visa I applyed for the 820 temp visa but they granted me the 801 permrnant visa so happy

Thanks everyone and good look to all thoughs waiting

Oh wow that's brilliant congrats

Just started a new thread about this, but please be aware that the processing times on the London website have changed

Thread here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/216729-new-processing-times-london.html

Partner Migration - 10 to 14 months (was 8 - 9 months)

EDIT: As MovingtoTasmania pointed out, this should NOT affect those people that have already applied.

Edited by rheia

Just started a new thread about this, but please be aware that the processing times on the London website have changed

Thread here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/216729-new-processing-times-london.html

Partner Migration - 10 to 14 months (was 8 - 9 months)

Please remember that this will be for applicants that are going in now for processing so will not apply to any of you that have applied previously.

Please remember that this will be for applicants that are going in now for processing so will not apply to any of you that have applied previously.

I'm glad you pointed that out, i was just starting to flap, haha.

The volume of applications for this year must be huge?

I'm glad you pointed that out, i was just starting to flap, haha.

The volume of applications for this year must be huge?

I think it's probably to do with staff numbers as well. Also, perhaps the checks are getting more rigorous? I should imagine that with movement being so easy nowadays, it's not surprising that so many applications are going in for partner visas as I would guess that eventually, most Australians want to go "home".

I think i read online the spouse visa online was $3085. can you pay this with a english card,and if so anyone know how much was debited? im guessing approx £1700

Bear in mind that you will have to pay transaction fees to the card company as well so you need to check that out as to how much they will charge.

I think i read online the spouse visa online was $3085. can you pay this with a english card,and if so anyone know how much was debited? im guessing approx £1700

Hi Marie! I paid with an english card and was debited exactly £1700. That was back in February.

Hope that helps?

My advice to anybody that has not heard anything from their CO, and has completed the application process, is to get in touch with their CO and just ask the question. At the end of the day this is a life changing decision, and one that people have a lot riding on. I'm sure the department understand this and should be willing to alleviate some of your worries/concerns?

Hello.

Having done that myself I'd have to say I disagree with you. Without asking about the timescale I asked the case officer a couple of questions about whether further evidence would be needed or useful. I got a reply similar to the one Leftyandstumpy got, only even less friendly and telling me not to contact them until the 8-9 months was up.

Far from feeling that "this is a life changing decision, and one that people have a lot riding on. I'm sure the department understand this and should be willing to alleviate some of your worries/concerns?", I got the impression that they really couldn't give two hoots about us going through this process and whether we're worried or how much we're inconvenienced. I've been left with the additional worry that the case officer now has a down on me.

From what others have written not every case officer is like that - but how would you know until it's too late?

Hello.

Having done that myself I'd have to say I disagree with you. Without asking about the timescale I asked the case officer a couple of questions about whether further evidence would be needed or useful. I got a reply similar to the one Leftyandstumpy got, only even less friendly and telling me not to contact them until the 8-9 months was up.

Far from feeling that "this is a life changing decision, and one that people have a lot riding on. I'm sure the department understand this and should be willing to alleviate some of your worries/concerns?", I got the impression that they really couldn't give two hoots about us going through this process and whether we're worried or how much we're inconvenienced. I've been left with the additional worry that the case officer now has a down on me.

From what others have written not every case officer is like that - but how would you know until it's too late?

I'm really quite appalled at the treatment that you've had from your CO and have to say that mine was really okay with me. The fact that CO's have now stopped giving out their email addresses and there is just a generic email address implies that they don't want to be contacted for any reason whatsoever as they will contact people as/when they need more information.

Of course, this leaves the applicant hanging in the meantime as they don't know what is going on but I think that the CO's stance would be that we are all adults with a modicum of intelligence and therefore, knowing that the application is lodged and in hand, we should be continuing on with our daily lives and leaving them alone to get on with their jobs and be content when eventually, the visa is granted.

Life isn't like this and it's only natural to want to know how things are progressing, especially since the research that I have managed to do so far with regard to when you actually hear if you are NOT being granted the visa, suggests that it's along the same timeline as for successful applications.

It's really hard but you need to be patient and not worry :hug:

also does anyone know with the spouse visa, if you have a time frame to validate your visa once authorised?

if you dont plan to move to australia straight away once granted (eg time to sell house ect)

To validate the visa, the last date is the date that the medical/police check was done, whichever was first. To move permanently once you have validated the visa, you have five years.

Example - Medical done on 1st September 2014, Police check on 10th October, you need to validate the visa by 1st September 2015 (Australian time). You then have 5 years to move permanently so 1st September 2019

also does anyone know with the spouse visa, if you have a time frame to validate your visa once authorised?

if you dont plan to move to australia straight away once granted (eg time to sell house ect)

As explained by MTT.

Medicals and police check will be requested by your CO after you lodge and they generally leave about 6 months after grant in which to validate, providing you do them when asked by CO, not before.

Hi Pete! I can only speak from my own experience. As you say it probably has a lot to do with the CO, but i'm certain that they wouldn't have a "down on you" just because you contacted them. You've still paid a substantial fee to start the application process, and personally i would still expect a certain level of service from the department. Internally i would also guess that the case officers are audited in some way, with respect to their performance? I could be wrong but thats just my opinion, and i certainly wouldn't be spoken down to by some minion from the immigration department. If you have concerns that you have been treated badly, and you have worries that you getting in touch with your CO will cause delay or some other problem with your application i would suggest you make a formal complaint. Theres some info on this site - http://migrationalliance.com.au/home/complain-about-a-diac-officer.html.

Hi Pete! I can only speak from my own experience. As you say it probably has a lot to do with the CO, but i'm certain that they wouldn't have a "down on you" just because you contacted them. You've still paid a substantial fee to start the application process, and personally i would still expect a certain level of service from the department. Internally i would also guess that the case officers are audited in some way, with respect to their performance? I could be wrong but thats just my opinion, and i certainly wouldn't be spoken down to by some minion from the immigration department. If you have concerns that you have been treated badly, and you have worries that you getting in touch with your CO will cause delay or some other problem with your application i would suggest you make a formal complaint. Theres some info on this site - http://migrationalliance.com.au/home/complain-about-a-diac-officer.html.

Quite a number of people have had pretty short replies to queries regarding their application and grant date. Not rude but making it quite clear there is nothing more they are prepared to say other than wait till the grant timeframe as per the blurb. It really does depend on the CO I think. Generally though they don't encourage asking for updates just for the sake of it. They give people a timeframe and usually visas are granted within that period. They are busy people and it seems that CO now are no longer the point of contact and it goes via elsewhere first. I guess to take the pressure off them and fielding the important stuff from the general enquiries about visa progress or grant date and things.

Emailing for updates can cause more upset if CO does not dish anything of use or simply says nothing more apart from wait for grant time. People are not generally informed about medicals and as they are all done via an online system now it's all pretty secure and gets to the people it needs to so emailing asking if there medical is all in order is not needed. They contact you if there is an issue with it and they need more info/tests etc.

I was always of the camp of leave my CO alone unless I absolutely had to contact her for something important related to my application and otherwise worked to the timeframe and visa was granted well within it. The no news is good news I tried to view as a positive :)

Quite a number of people have had pretty short replies to queries regarding their application and grant date. Not rude but making it quite clear there is nothing more they are prepared to say other than wait till the grant timeframe as per the blurb. It really does depend on the CO I think. Generally though they don't encourage asking for updates just for the sake of it. They give people a timeframe and usually visas are granted within that period. They are busy people and it seems that CO now are no longer the point of contact and it goes via elsewhere first. I guess to take the pressure off them and fielding the important stuff from the general enquiries about visa progress or grant date and things.

Emailing for updates can cause more upset if CO does not dish anything of use or simply says nothing more apart from wait for grant time. People are not generally informed about medicals and as they are all done via an online system now it's all pretty secure and gets to the people it needs to so emailing asking if there medical is all in order is not needed. They contact you if there is an issue with it and they need more info/tests etc.

I was always of the camp of leave my CO alone unless I absolutely had to contact her for something important related to my application and otherwise worked to the timeframe and visa was granted well within it. The no news is good news I tried to view as a positive :)

I think the fact that London visa time has changed so drastically from 9 months at the longest to 14 months at the longest just shows how busy the CO's really must be and clearly don't have time to hold everyone's hand through the process.

Saying that, it's natural to worry and be concerned. Remember what I was like @snifter? A real pain on here with my incessant worrying :laugh:

I think the fact that London visa time has changed so drastically from 9 months at the longest to 14 months at the longest just shows how busy the CO's really must be and clearly don't have time to hold everyone's hand through the process.

Saying that, it's natural to worry and be concerned. Remember what I was like @snifter? A real pain on here with my incessant worrying :laugh:

I'm sure everyone understands that their CO must be very busy, but in Pete's case it sounds as though he has been treated badly, to the point that he is actually worried that his CO has a problem with him. I just think that's unacceptable.

I'm sure everyone understands that their CO must be very busy, but in Pete's case it sounds as though he has been treated badly, to the point that he is actually worried that his CO has a problem with him. I just think that's unacceptable.

I also think that it's unacceptable but when I first emailed my CO I got a very terse reply to the point where I actually thought that the visa was going to be refused and if you look back at the thread, I was given the same advice as he's been given. Don't contact them, they will contact you.

Ultimately, I know through my own job, I get annoyed when people keep asking me questions, as I've told them once, they don't need to keep asking or reminding me of their presence, yes I'm aware. I am sure at times, I sound pretty annoyed and terse with the clients but ultimately, it's a job, I do it to my best ability and within the rules. The CO will be the same.

There doesn't seem to be much transparency. If COs can only sign off a quota each month, why can't they just tell us that? Then we know that we are just in a queue

The CO doesn't sign off on the Visa grants and that is what causes the delay. The CO only prepares the file, does the checks and makes sure it's all in order then gives a recommendation. It then goes to the Chief Immigration Officer for a final yay or nay.

There is no quota applied to partner visas but the fact that so many are applied for globally may well be why it's such a long drawn out process to finally reach the CIO.