Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Julie495
hi there, im working in a salon at the mo the pay is $22 per hour as im a casual incl tax and super paid on top[ plus $7 per week tool allowance , this can change as for part time or full time , some salons pay more or less , just been looking at the wednesday addition of the west australian and there are lots of hairdresser jobs advertised , tips are a def no go here ( begger) sooo used to that in uk ! some things are way more expensive and some are way cheaper, so its swings and roundabouts , also depends on the life you want to live... all the best with the visa , as i said on an earlier post you do have to resit hair exams here in wa ( google the hairdressing regulation board WA) 2 exams written( multiple choice ) and practical, perm colour and fashion cut ( full head tint) and gents cut if your combined..

also advise all hairdressers coming over to apply for principle , not employed as this means you can work alone or without a principle above you ( pecking order lol) apparently they are doing away with this to be the same as the other states , as wa is a bit backwards !! say no more. another thing , bring all your own kit, it is expensive here your expected to provide your own, incl dryers , straighteners etc...

Hi just wanted to say very useful post cheers for that.. also who do I apply to for the principle? yes I am a dumb blonde hairdresser :) not that dumb as I'm wanted in WA yeeeehaaaa

Julie

hi julie , lol you have to apply to the hairdressers regulation board when you arrive in perth, you cannot do hairdressing without the cert, and you have to take exams first is written multiple choice , and second is practical ,( you have 6 months to complete both) , when you fill in the forms it will ask what catagories you are ie, ladies , mens or combined , and then will you be employed , or principle, if your employed and in a salon you have to have a pricipal above you , if that makes sense ? so best to just go for principle!! you have to pay for each and then when you pass them you pay for yearly state registration, as i say they have sent letters to say they are getting rid of this to be the same as the other states , but who knows when , after ive paid my 300$ prob lol .. google the hair registration board wa ( its in wembly) will tell you more info. all the best

Guest paulandtara
hi julie , lol you have to apply to the hairdressers regulation board when you arrive in perth, you cannot do hairdressing without the cert, and you have to take exams first is written multiple choice , and second is practical ,( you have 6 months to complete both) , when you fill in the forms it will ask what catagories you are ie, ladies , mens or combined , and then will you be employed , or principle, if your employed and in a salon you have to have a pricipal above you , if that makes sense ? so best to just go for principle!! you have to pay for each and then when you pass them you pay for yearly state registration, as i say they have sent letters to say they are getting rid of this to be the same as the other states , but who knows when , after ive paid my 300$ prob lol .. google the hair registration board wa ( its in wembly) will tell you more info. all the best

I have been looking into this and not sure exactly what catagory I fall into. I work for Toni & Guy as a senior stylist, but I only carry out styling and am not trained to colour (apart from my apprenticeship); So it would appear that I dont fall into the ladies inclusive catagory.

Is anyone else in the same boat or can anyone give me any advice.

Thanks, Tara

I THINK IF YOUR A QUALIFIED STYLIST AND YOU DID YOUR APPRENTISHIP , BUTTON UP AND GO FOR COMBINED PRINCIPAL , IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO AFTER IE SALONS LIKE JUST CUTS ETC , OR MEN IF YOU PREFER BARBERING , OR JUST LADIES, THE EXAM IS JUST A FULL HEAD TINT NO MECHES ETC ROOTS AND SEMI ON THE ENDS WITH A FASHION CUT AND BLOWDRY, MENS CUT SCISSOR OVER COMB AND PERM argggghh THAT PROVED THE HARDEST TO FIND A TOUR ROUND OLD PEOPLES DROP IN COFFER PLACES A MUST LOL , UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ADVENTURUS FRIEND LOL

I HATE DOING MEN AND DON'T WANT TO BUT IM DOING THE GENTS CUT AS WELL , IF YOU YOU FAIL ANY CATERGORIES YOU JUST RE TAKE THAT PERT OF THE EXAM.. HOPE THAT ALL MAKES SENSE !!

Hi I am full time hairdressing student just starting my second year in NVQ Level 2, my OH has just been granted state sponsorship for ACT and I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. If I complete my course in the UK what would I be able to work as in Oz, would I go in as a 3rd yr apprentice, or would I be able to work as a junior stylist like in the UK, what are my options? Or could I be a mobile hairdresser? Do you know how much money I am likely to earn?

Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.

CW

by the skin of mt teeth, lol .... from yorkshire no less , sha was lovely , didn't get home untill nearly ten thirty , got lost AGAIN!!! .... are you around for a cuppa next week , neighbour lolx

yep ...just give me a tinkle ...incase i have to work :cry:

julie x

I have been looking into this and not sure exactly what catagory I fall into. I work for Toni & Guy as a senior stylist, but I only carry out styling and am not trained to colour (apart from my apprenticeship); So it would appear that I dont fall into the ladies inclusive catagory.

Is anyone else in the same boat or can anyone give me any advice.

Thanks, Tara

hi tara , i was doing my rego exam last night and a lady who works at * just cuts * was there , she did two gents , a beard trim and a ladies cut and style... no col or perm so they can obviously taylor this to suit the individial..:yes:

Hi I am full time hairdressing student just starting my second year in NVQ Level 2, my OH has just been granted state sponsorship for ACT and I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. If I complete my course in the UK what would I be able to work as in Oz, would I go in as a 3rd yr apprentice, or would I be able to work as a junior stylist like in the UK, what are my options? Or could I be a mobile hairdresser? Do you know how much money I am likely to earn?

Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.

CW

hi mike sorry, cannot help .. wrong state wa is sooo dif to the rest anyway, have you tried e mailing a salon through doing a google? prob best way to start! all the best with the rest.

Guest paulandtara
hi tara , i was doing my rego exam last night and a lady who works at * just cuts * was there , she did two gents , a beard trim and a ladies cut and style... no col or perm so they can obviously taylor this to suit the individial..:yes:

Ok am getting nervous now! I don't do perms (not much call for them in Toni & Guy!) and am not trained to do beards etc, looks like they might have to taylor the exam a lot for me!

Am going on a recce next month and am going to get a blow dry in a salon I really like the look of and ask a few questions then...

Good luck with your exam results :smile:

Guest paulandtara
thanks perms are blerdy hard to get hold off lol like said adventourus friends or grandma at a coffe shop.. wa they have the same exam from 20 years ago!

I bet they are!! So because I cant do perms or colouring do you think I might struggle? been styling for 10 years now but sounds like that might not be enough for them!

Ok am getting nervous now! I don't do perms (not much call for them in Toni & Guy!) and am not trained to do beards etc, looks like they might have to taylor the exam a lot for me!

Am going on a recce next month and am going to get a blow dry in a salon I really like the look of and ask a few questions then...

HI TARA HAVE YOU TRIED TRANSFURING TO TONI AND GUY OVER THERE I SAW ONE IN SUBIACO AND ALSO GET IN TOUCH WITH MAURICE MEADE THEY WORK LIKE THAT AND THEY HAVE ABOUT 12 OR MORE SALONS DOTTED AROUND THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ADVICE ON THE COLLEGE THING I THINK MM DO THERE OWN EDUCATING DONT KNOW ABOUTWETHER THEY HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE TOO

GOOD LUCK

JOOLS X

Guest chris dixon

Hi

I trained and worked for Toni and Guy in london for over 9 year, I moved back to the north east of england over 10 year ago and worked with Toni and Guy hear. I opened my own salon a few month ago but I am looking to move to australia to apply my skills, I am looking for a sponsor if you know of anyone that could hlep me I would appreciate it.

My Regards.

Chris Dixon.

no i don't think any one will struggle if your good at cutting and know your way around a salon, they are just making sure that your who you say you are, we all know that in the uk you have to do cut/colour correction work , so they are just making sure, the exam is a perm .. full head tint , and ends with a semi and fashion cut /blowdry , gents cut no clippers allowed with attatchments , only clipper over comb or scissor over a comb, they tell you went to start , and ask you what your doing with the perm and colour model, don't forget you get a permission to work letter when you apply for a job, this helps you with being in a salon anyway.. i was more worried re my gents, ive all ways just used a clipper attatchment neve done scissor over comb starting at zero..arghhh i mostly do ladies and colouring. they are just hard to get , models i mean.. my rego will be combined principal . fingers crossed , also if you fail a catagory , you just retake that one again. tara as i said the girl next to me last night did neither she was just cutting and styling, so she by passed the perm and colour!

Guest rattler

hi i was hoping someone could shed some light on this for, me as i'm totally confused lol, i am coming to australia jan 2010, not on myself as an hairdresser but with my husband with his job,i have been doing hairdressing since the age of 16, and was wondering did i need to get my quals changed over to australian we are moving to nsw, sorry to be a pain i expect this thread as been asked so many times thanks again karen :notworthy:

rattler , i think its only wa that do this , don't qoute me though, you may have to contact a salon or a tafe to check this out , to be fair wa are actually on about getting rid of the rego and exams , but when who knows!! could be next month or two years, think it will loose them a lot of money , all the best!

phewww passed my practical wey heyyy .... thats a hurdle out the way! rang to say im changeing address and asked how long untill i find out results she said letter went out today, and to tall me ive passed , now i only have to cough up for the yearly rego.. so $ 275 for the two exams and im not sure but i think its $ 90 for the yearly , ill let you all know later!

Archived