Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wheres all the lovely ladies gone?????? there are new hairdressers on here needing to know how your all getting on in your new jobs!!!!! how you finding the work? hows the money? does it differ much to uk hairdressing? is it better to go mobile? can you earn alot more mobile? are there many jobs out there?

shez x x

Hi

By the time I arrive this september I will have completed my NVQ2 in Hairdressing. What are my chances of getting a job as a hairdresser in oz when i arrive?

Thanks

Ness

Hi my update been living in Mornington for 6 months now, got a job in a salon straightaway got $130 a day 9 until 5.30, had to leave as my hubby got a job and i had no childcare.

Tried to start a mobile business, delivered at least 1000 leaflets with 1 reply, have back window of car with my business and phone number had a couple of replies from that. I have done a couple of English friends hair. I find yes there are lots of jobs in The Leader every week, i am now working in a salon in Dromana only on $18 an hour it goes through books, i enjoy the work the aussies can be critical which i now take with a pinch of salt, as i get alot of positive feedback from the clients which i do.

I miss the uk as i had a good hairdressing business and i realise it is going to take time to build a business up here. There is lots of competition, Main st alone must have at least 20 salons probably more, and alot of people work from home, so we will see if we will stay out here, i don't think i can stand working for someone else forever.

Hope this helps

Tania x

Hi

By the time I arrive this september I will have completed my NVQ2 in Hairdressing. What are my chances of getting a job as a hairdresser in oz when i arrive?

Thanks

Ness

Just bumping up my question. I would really appreciate any advice on this. I have been working in the clothing industry for 20yrs and decided it was time for a career change and decided to follow my dreams and go into hairdressing. something I have always wanted to do.

As mentioned above I will have completed NVQ2 before we come out this sept. What sort of position will I be able to apply for with this qualification.

Thanks

x

Hi ness71 i've just looked at a couple of positions in our local paper and it says qualified hairdresser, doesn't say how many years experience so not sure, with level 2 you are qualified i suppose it depends on what sort of salon you will be applying to work in, i tend to do alot of cuts for ladies and girls, blow dries, shampoo and sets, i have done a couple of perms, roots retouched and some foils. Your level 2 would be sufficent to work in a salon like this, could you think about doing another qual once you are out here just to get that bit more experience

Tania x

Guest sazzadutch

Hi all you fellow British hairdressers/barbers

I am due to move out to Oz on a 12 month working holiday visa and am still deciding on where to try to get work, any suggestions on where's most likely to find something at the moment?

My brother has moved out to Brisbane recently and will more than likely sponsor me after 2 years being out there himself so Im just going out initiallly for 12 - 24 months (with the use of a bridging visa for the extra 12 mnths) and will be looking for salon work to start asap after I arrive. I keep putting off booking my flight and trying to find work b4 going out there but think I may bite the bullet soon and just book for either Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane and hope for the best.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

:notworthy:

Hi all you fellow British hairdressers/barbers

I am due to move out to Oz on a 12 month working holiday visa and am still deciding on where to try to get work, any suggestions on where's most likely to find something at the moment?

My brother has moved out to Brisbane recently and will more than likely sponsor me after 2 years being out there himself so Im just going out initiallly for 12 - 24 months (with the use of a bridging visa for the extra 12 mnths) and will be looking for salon work to start asap after I arrive. I keep putting off booking my flight and trying to find work b4 going out there but think I may bite the bullet soon and just book for either Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane and hope for the best.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

:notworthy:

Hi,

My husband emailed loads of salons in Brisbane with his CV and portfolio of work before going out for a visit. He found that not all salons replied but a few said that he could contact them when he was out. He met up with a few and every one of them said they'd give him a job there and then, however, we didnt have the visa at that point. He's kept in touch and will do so until we eventually get out there.

I dont think you'll get much of a response until you're there, and if you've got enough experience, think it shouldnt be too bad finding work. My husband said that every salon he spoke to were looking for British trained stylists but said it was hard filling positions perhaps due to hairdressing not being on the priority list and visa's taking a while. No-one seemed happy to sponsor employees in the current economic climate, preferring you to have your visa already.

Having said that, I also have a friend who was sponsored by a salon and is in Perth but he'd made the contacts on a L'Oreal trip and then kept in touch with the salon owners.

Good luck,

Shaz

Guest scot2oz

Hello,

Just noticed you are in queensland. Do you work in a salon or are you free lance. I am a Hairdresser with 10 years experience in Glasgow and at the moment i work free lance which suites as i have 2 young kids. Have you noticed the wage to be as much as they advertise as it seems pretty high and are queensland people ok at employing british as i have heard alot of australian employerslike to stick to there own. We are moving to Gold coast in October so any info would be great.

Laura

Hi, for all hairdressers with TRA passed, can i jump in here, i am really willing to try a permanent visa as a hairdresser. It is in demand in OZ and i found a fast track course of 5 days for ladies hair, plus 5 days for mesn's hair and 5 days for color and other bits. Do you know if i have to have training for any lengh of time or doen't matter how many hours i studied?

I hope it doesn't matter, perhaps just 1 year of work experience if it is state nomination??

If matters, how about NVQ, which level do they require? 1 and 2?

thanks

x

Hi, for all hairdressers with TRA passed, can i jump in here, i am really willing to try a permanent visa as a hairdresser. It is in demand in OZ and i found a fast track course of 5 days for ladies hair, plus 5 days for mesn's hair and 5 days for color and other bits. Do you know if i have to have training for any lengh of time or doen't matter how many hours i studied?

I hope it doesn't matter, perhaps just 1 year of work experience if it is state nomination??

If matters, how about NVQ, which level do they require? 1 and 2?

thanks

x

hi frank,

i think you will find it much harder to pass the tra at the moment, due to scams in oz delivering hairdresser qualifications who have no intension of working as a hairdresser they just want a permanent visa.

i will say as a hairdresser of 16 years i find the kind of course your talking about to be an insult to all of us that have taken years to master our skills, that said if you are really interested in becomming a hairdresser you will need an nvq 2 maybe even 3 and at least a bit of experience.

good luck

jools x:biggrin:

hi frank,

i think you will find it much harder to pass the tra at the moment, due to scams in oz delivering hairdresser qualifications who have no intension of working as a hairdresser they just want a permanent visa.

i will say as a hairdresser of 16 years i find the kind of course your talking about to be an insult to all of us that have taken years to master our skills, that said if you are really interested in becomming a hairdresser you will need an nvq 2 maybe even 3 and at least a bit of experience.

good luck

jools x:biggrin:

Hi, I know what you mean by studying for 2 years for a NVQ or even 3 years. I just can't get into a college here in UK because I am 33 years-old and the college says the priority is for the 16 to 18 years-old and the courses are very popular because it is free for teen.

SO I looked for private tutions in hairdressing salons and found cobrahairacademy, they have 5 day fast track courses, for ladies hair, barbering and colouring; all together is 15 days of pratical study/training and the price is not an arm or a leg. They claim to be better than a NVQ 2 qualification.

I really would love to hear you oppinion as an experienced hairdresser about this course.

thanks so much

valeri

Hi frank

I agree with jools123 this course you are thinking about taking is never going to replace the traditional training we have all undertaken and to be honest you only start to learn after all these years training when you are on your own making your own decisions and believe me it is not easy, there is a lot more to it than you think. I also think the tra wouldn't consider that course as equivilent to their own structure. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Toria

hi valeri,

this course may well be better than an nvq, becase to be honest the quality of some students ive seen comming out with there nvq 2 is terrifying. but what you have gotta ask is will this course qualifications be recognised by tra ?. which is highly unlikely. colleges used to have courses for mature students doing a nvq i think you need to explore this a bit more.its also quicker if you can do some work at a salon, and i think there are acadamys that do nvq as well.

best of luck.

jools x

Hi, I know what you mean by studying for 2 years for a NVQ or even 3 years. I just can't get into a college here in UK because I am 33 years-old and the college says the priority is for the 16 to 18 years-old and the courses are very popular because it is free for teen.

SO I looked for private tutions in hairdressing salons and found cobrahairacademy, they have 5 day fast track courses, for ladies hair, barbering and colouring; all together is 15 days of pratical study/training and the price is not an arm or a leg. They claim to be better than a NVQ 2 qualification.

I really would love to hear you oppinion as an experienced hairdresser about this course.

thanks so much

valeri

Hi valeri, my other half just passed TRA, and honestly with that course you will have no chance of passing. If you have a look at the TRA uniform assessment criteria it states that "900 hours" of training is required as part of study over at least 4 years, depandant upon which pathway you believe you fit.

Here is the link:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/TRA/residenceVisa/Documents/UniformCriteria.pdf

As you can see in section 8 there are 4 Pathways by which TRA may assess you. And if you cant prove 900 hours tuition, A B and C are out im afraid, you will fail at the first hurdle.

Pathway E is expensive, you can get AQF III (australian qualification) in the UK by taking an assessment, but it costs, not sure how much a few thousand I believe, also there is the 4 year employment requirement for this pathway. So I don't think this is a viable option for you at present.

Sarah

hi frank, i have to agree with the other girls TRA is being very choosey at the min, i had to do mine 3 times!!! passed on the third and i have 24 years experience nvq 1 and 2 worked in salons and been self employed,they where nit picking with the tiniest things but we got there in the end!! good luckwith what you choose x

thanks so much

valeri

Hi Valeri

The college i taught in use to run courses for mature students and they were quite popular, but a cost was involved in paying for the course. Alot of the students did manage to finish before the course ended, depending on if they were compentent in the skill they were doing.

I think 15 days is unrealistic to do all of these hairdressing skills, there are so many units to complete just with an NVQ level 2, from shampooing and conditioning different hair types, there are at least 5 basic cuts and some of the graduation cuts can take weeks to perfect, as i found when i was teaching students. Barbering is a whole new ball game, i can cut gents hair, but i do not have a barbering certificate as it is a different course altogether. Colouring the hair takes time especially foiling, and again alot of theory involved in colouring the hair.

I would check again with all your local colleges and see what they advise

Best of luck

Tania x:wubclub:

hi frank, i have to agree with the other girls TRA is being very choosey at the min, i had to do mine 3 times!!! passed on the third and i have 24 years experience nvq 1 and 2 worked in salons and been self employed,they where nit picking with the tiniest things but we got there in the end!! good luckwith what you choose x

I passed mine the second time, and i had 24 years experience, they can be very picky i had to get lots more references from clients and more evidence put together, the whole thing was very stressful

Tania x

I passed mine the second time, and i had 24 years experience, they can be very picky i had to get lots more references from clients and more evidence put together, the whole thing was very stressful

Tania x

wouldn't just be easier if they could send someone to visit us at work??

x

Tania x

hi tania,it was very stressfull and we have gone through an agent, she had never had a TRA refused before, we got there in the end,the worst thing about it tho it put us back about 4 months,if it had passed first time we would have done police checks and meicals before september the 23 so might have been in with a chance of having a visa sooner,as it is now we are still waiting for WA SS and in for the long waite,but im a big beliver in things happen for a reason:smile: we shall see what this year brings, i hope your setteling in now,and the homesickness is not so bad:smile: sheryl x

hi tania,it was very stressfull and we have gone through an agent, she had never had a TRA refused before, we got there in the end,the worst thing about it tho it put us back about 4 months,if it had passed first time we would have done police checks and meicals before september the 23 so might have been in with a chance of having a visa sooner,as it is now we are still waiting for WA SS and in for the long waite,but im a big beliver in things happen for a reason:smile: we shall see what this year brings, i hope your setteling in now,and the homesickness is not so bad:smile: sheryl x

Oh nO! sorry to hear about your first TRA, sheryl. My husband also faild first time. It is a matter of not giving up, oh well, my TRA agent wasn't very encouraging even though my husband had 10 years paid work experience. Do you recommend your agent? How do you guys decide which one to take it??

thanks

x

Oh nO! sorry to hear about your first TRA, sheryl. My husband also faild first time. It is a matter of not giving up, oh well, my TRA agent wasn't very encouraging even though my husband had 10 years paid work experience. Do you recommend your agent? How do you guys decide which one to take it??

thanks

x

hi frank,we are using julia at MIGRATE AUSTRALIA, she was recomended to me by one of my customers who she had got a visa for,she is a really lovely lady always replied to my e mails and calls promptly i have every faith in her to get us through the visa process,sheis based in austraila cant recomend her highly enough,if you drop her a line she will tell you what your chances are.

sheryl x:smile:

Archived