Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

Hi valeri, you say your husband failed first time, why has he failed? Does he have NVQs?, are you able to submit any more evidence etc, what has your agent said?

There is another option via which your OH could gain a positive TRA, he could get a workplace assessment to gain an AQFIII which would allow him to go via TRAs pathway E

Have a look here, https://www.australianskillassessments.com/occupations/cook.php.

Has your agent discussed this with you. I am not sure on the full details of this assessment as we didn't have to go down this route, but it may do you well to post a topic in the migration issues section of this forum. Many migration agents hang out there, and Gollywobbler, one of the moderators is also a wealth of knowledge and always seems happy to give any advice she can or at least point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Sarah

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi valeri, you say your husband failed first time, why has he failed? Does he have NVQs?, are you able to submit any more evidence etc, what has your agent said?

There is another option via which your OH could gain a positive TRA, he could get a workplace assessment to gain an AQFIII which would allow him to go via TRAs pathway E

Have a look here, https://www.australianskillassessments.com/occupations/cook.php.

Has your agent discussed this with you. I am not sure on the full details of this assessment as we didn't have to go down this route, but it may do you well to post a topic in the migration issues section of this forum. Many migration agents hang out there, and Gollywobbler, one of the moderators is also a wealth of knowledge and always seems happy to give any advice she can or at least point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Sarah

hi sarah,

my husband failed because he applied as a chef, but they thought he should have applied as a cook. Then, the TRA changed a few "rules" and he needed the NVQ, which he didn't have at that time. Now he has go the NVQ 2 but his IELTS was a shame, his mark was really low in writing and the avarage was 4.5 if I can remeber. He got upset on that time and gave up. He said he won't face another IELTS, he's got dislexy and it is really hard to write properly. Well, this was a couple of years ago.

I might have to visit the migration forum as you said. My TRA agent was just TRA agent and he was ok but not brilliant in suggesting other ways in order to get there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will see what chances we have under my husband's occupation.

x

Valeri

hi frank,we are using julia at MIGRATE AUSTRALIA, she was recomended to me by one of my customers who she had got a visa for,she is a really lovely lady always replied to my e mails and calls promptly i have every faith in her to get us through the visa process,sheis based in austraila cant recomend her highly enough,if you drop her a line she will tell you what your chances are.

sheryl x:smile:

Thanks Sheryl, I shall visit her website and see under my husband's occupation first, then.

x

valeri

Guest mustangsal

Hi

A question for any hairdressers still in the UK, we are in the process of deciding who will be the primary applicant on our visa, I am a hiardresser and have been for 12 years although havent worked for 4 years, I do own a wholesale business which is associated with the hair industry so can show work related experience, however in order to get the max chance I want to make sure I can work too which means back to hair for two years. I am in desperate need of a refresher course I am 40 so times a running out...I live in Surrey but anywhere South East London way would be perfect. Has anyone been in my shoes or can anyone reccommend a quickie course to get me back to speed?

any info help would be fab

Thank you in advance

Sally

Hi

A question for any hairdressers still in the UK, we are in the process of deciding who will be the primary applicant on our visa, I am a hiardresser and have been for 12 years although havent worked for 4 years, I do own a wholesale business which is associated with the hair industry so can show work related experience, however in order to get the max chance I want to make sure I can work too which means back to hair for two years. I am in desperate need of a refresher course I am 40 so times a running out...I live in Surrey but anywhere South East London way would be perfect. Has anyone been in my shoes or can anyone reccommend a quickie course to get me back to speed?

any info help would be fab

Thank you in advance

Sally

Hi Sally, i used to live in SE, but I am now in BR1, not far though, but found all courses in salons very expensive. But I am a beginner, have you tried the fast refresher course on dvds

You can watch some previews at YouTube to see if you like him first.

let us know what you decide.

x

valeri

sally, you said you work with wholesale?! i have been searching on the internet some scissors and comb to get me started. I don't know why people don't really reccommend a particular scissor, I have no idea which one to get, what to consider when buying one... If you don't mind I would be happy to buy from you if you could advise any, please...

thanks

valeri

Guest mustangsal

Hi Valeri

I stopped selling scissors a while ago but you should start with a cheaper pair of 5" to 5.5" Scissors to get you started anything bigger will be harder to handle. Also a decent cutting comb Sallys express are good on their VAT free days but you need to register to get trade prices.

HTH

Sally x

Guest mustangsal

Forgot to add matador cutting combs are fab No.4 would be perfect for you and Jaguar scissors will suit you as a beginner at the end of the day why pay £200 for scissors that you WILL drop at the beginning.

x

Forgot to add matador cutting combs are fab No.4 would be perfect for you and Jaguar scissors will suit you as a beginner at the end of the day why pay £200 for scissors that you WILL drop at the beginning.

x

thanks sally, i will remember about the dropping on the floor!:wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest karen190572

Hello to all the fellow hairdressers , i am about to send in all my stuff for the TRA , worked very hard to get it all together , i have been qualified for 13 years and have been self employed in my own salon for 9 years , i have read they are being very picky , can any one give me any thing to look out for , i have followed all the guidelines and provided all the evidence they have requested. Just want to double and triple check before i send it off , looking to go to Perth so any hairdressers in the Perth area would be lovely to chat as i hope to see you in the future so would be nice to have more friends if and when i get there ,

Thanks Karen xx:biggrin:

hi karen and welcome,

i passed my tra last year and all i can say is they want as much detail as poss, we had an agent who looked over things first, i had to put down what i would do in a day down to what tools i would use and how i would clean them, i found this experience to be the hardest of the visa process, so now youve done yours pop it in and wait!!!!!!!!

ive got 15 years experience and 4 kids were waiting on wa ss , we have a 175 visa in but we will change it to a 176 if we get it.

good luck and keep us posted

jools x

Guest karen190572

Thanks for the reply , I have done a statement for my work and college back to 1988 up until the present day , I have also done two examples , one of which is a full head colour and cut and blow detailing everything from client consultationright upto seeing the clint out the door plus a perm and cut and blow . do you think these will be sufficient for TRA? I have evidence for everything can you think of anything i may need or do you think these are enough .... haha so worried of not getting it right also had my sister who has just recieved her visa to look at all my evidence she says it is everything thats needed , but being me i want to check on everything Thanks xxx

Karen:wacko:

Guest karen190572

I have 14 references from clients, and got my last 12 months accounts from my wholesaler i will put in how i clean my equipment thanks , I have put everything else in there even down to coffee and tea !! so i will keep going over it till my eyes pop out lol xx

Thanks again Karen:chatterbox:

Guest GillianM

Hi, does anyone already in Oz know if its easy to become a hairdresser? like here in Scotland you can be trained in a hairdressers and do your training. Can this be done in Victoria?

Gillian

Me too, been hairdressing for 25 yrs on and off!!!! mostly do old ladies, but love doing them to bits!!! mad I know?? just wondered if it is that difficult to pick up this kind of work over in Oz??? would love any info please??? cheers!!

Hi i have found it difficult to do mobile work, i delivered about 1,000 leaflets and have my number and name on the car, but i haven't really had no replies, i suppose if you have plenty of friends and contacts out in oz you will be ok, but from what i can gather it will take a good year to get established, but i think longer. Alot of people in oz have a room in their house converted to a salon, and we have quite a few of them where we are living and also loads of salons actually in the town and every plaza. I don't want to sound negative but there are always lots of jobs advertised in hairdressing salons

Tania x:wubclub:

Guest GillianM

Hi, i think there is a training academy, a fast track course which lasts 12 months. I costs around $16,000 which is very expensive. I thought an employer would take you on in the salon and train you there?

Gillian

Hey Everyone,

I've read up and it seems that if you go and study hairdressing in Australia you can apply for PR straight after?

Also the lady at brishair.com.au just told me that if i do the fast track course i'll be given 1 year automatically temporary visa is this true?

If hairdressing isn't axed from the SOL list i might go and study there

Mig

Guest paulandtara
Hey Everyone,

I've read up and it seems that if you go and study hairdressing in Australia you can apply for PR straight after?

Also the lady at brishair.com.au just told me that if i do the fast track course i'll be given 1 year automatically temporary visa is this true?

If hairdressing isn't axed from the SOL list i might go and study there

Mig

What are people thinking about hairdressing being on the new SOL? it seems the trade has been picked on lately but it was still on the MODL before it was binned, is still a 60 point occupation and is in state wide demand for WA (not sure about other states).

We're hoping it'll be on the new SOL as were putting our visa application in this week.

Paul & Tara

Archived