Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

Guest Bill_er_Bong
hi ,

i know morrice mead sponcer there quite big i did a trade test for them recently but they said they wanted me for an educator and also said i would have to go in a matter of weeks i willl say its a very upper class type of salon and i was made to feel very uncomfortable when there but maybe worth you trying , i just went on to there web page and rang head office.

goodluck

jools x

Jools, thanks so much for this info. Very much appreciated. Did they say what type of visa they would sponsor you for?

Cheers

BB

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WELL i just had a days course paid for by work to do a design course with Benni Tognini , what a fab day , one of the things im thinking is good about australia , they seem to want you to learn and get you out there, wish i could have done a week!! googled him after the event and im glad i did not do it before lol , bit like working for nicky clarke or the galvins me thinks.. ..

Guest sassygal

hello

cool just fo hairdressers lol, I am just applying for the TRA as well as working, decorating and getting ready to go on holiday, problem is I cant get off here!!:biglaugh:

I am looking at independant visa but will also apply for SS and employer sonsorship if I can get an employer to sponsor me that is, basically what ever it takes!

When in oz ( feel like bursting into song....the long and windy road lol 23 sept visa priority processing news) I wouldnt mind being mobile or my own salon, I am also a nail tec too.

oh well, client cancelled cant be arsed to decorate or pack so I am here :biglaugh:

WELL i just had a days course paid for by work to do a design course with Benni Tognini , what a fab day , one of the things im thinking is good about australia , they seem to want you to learn and get you out there, wish i could have done a week!! googled him after the event and im glad i did not do it before lol , bit like working for nicky clarke or the galvins me thinks.. ..

Pleased you enjoyed your days course Sharon, really gives you a boost when you learn something different, keep up the good work

Tania X:wubclub:

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how they proved their 900 hours formal training for TRA assessment? Would the OH have to get a written letter from the college heattended? Or is it just taken that you've done at least the 900 hours due to the fact you've been awarded the NVQ's???

He only has up to level 2, but qualified in 2001 and has been working as a very traditional mens Barber since, hot towel cut throat shaving, traditional scissors over comb cutting along with clipper cuts. Since qualifying He has no experience of womens hair, does this matter for TRA as he have qualified in womens??

Does anyone know if there is much call in Oz for this tradtional type of Barbering??

Thanks all

Sarah

Guest Barefootpip

WE ARE IN AUSTRALIA & LOVING IT. The agency we used was: Australian Migration and Visa Lawyers and would recomend them to anyone. They're knowledge and advice has helped us where we would have been lost. I was qualified in 2001 while doing full time at a salon & 1 day at college. When doing my TRA, I supplied my college certificates, employer references and a statement from my 1st employer where I had to write a statury decloration (They were too lazy) about my college and work time.

Barboring it seems is almost as popular as mixed salons (Depending where you live) and his skills should close a job for him. Just get him build a portfolio type evidence so he can show his skills. I have found employers work differently from each other so what may be one desirable trait is not anothers (If that makes sence).

Just do research in what you are looking for in your emmigration, it helps to smooth out the process. AND ENJOY THE TIME...

thanks barefoot tip, i was wondering if you could tell me a little more about your training, you say you did 1 day per week at college whilst working, I too did the same, and on contacting the college they say I have only completed 144 hours formal training, I am guessing then that you informed TRA that you received training hours from your employer? I presume that this is satisfactory for the TRA in assuming you've met your 900/1800 hours? Which pathway did you take for TRA assessment as I am unsure which one would apply best for me.

Guest Barefootpip

You are right about the hours of college and that I had extra training from my employer. And with hairdressing I took extra training after qualifing as well. My employer I was with when I was at college did not want to any sort of helpfull reference for me so I was told by my emmigation agency to write a legal statement about my hours of college, work, training at work including everything I did in the 1st two years. My agency (In my previous reply) was very helpfull in letting me know what is required and how best to go about it. I went for state sponsership and got enough points. If you are not using an agency you will find it quite difficult if you can't see a easy path to follow in emmigration. If you are using one, hopefully they will be able to advise you.

If you want, contact my agency and speak to them as I would give them full marks for what they have done for us.

Guest lisaandnigel

I am a mobile hairdresser in willetton south of the river, so if your interested in me doing your hair pm me .

lisa

Guest the dobbas

hi all

i have a beach front hairdressing salon for sale , very good turnover and it may help you get a visa!

contact peter on 0425 897 174 or send me a p.m

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know which is better to get assessed as vetassess don't have trade tests as such, also the difference in prices?

I am also considering TRA pathway c i think, 5 years informal apprenticeship except i don't know if i have strong enough case, here is my work history and let me know what you think

College 2004- 8 months of 1 day in college doing 9 hours starting my course in barbering

College 2006 - 1 year completing my barbering qualification 1 day in college 9 hours

Formal training - working as an apprentice for 5 months in 2004 training everyday with cuts, colours, blow drys in a unisex salon taking my hours way over 1500 training

Work 2005 - late 2007

2 1/2 years in **** Men's hairdressing - job role - hairdresser, assistant manager - manager - educator to apprentices

work late 2007 - early 2008 mark powells men's hair - job role stylist - cutting colouring shaves blow drys

work 2008 - april - october - a sydney salon as a stylist all aspects of hairdressing

late 2008 - early 2009- manager of a men;s hairdressers

June 2009 - present - barber/stylist/shaver at one of londons tops salons

I can get references and written confirmation for all my work but do you think this is a strong enough case and who should i go to?

Do you think i should get my trades assessed for pathway e as its really expensive?

Any help appreciated, sorry if it's a bit scattered

Miguel

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know which is better to get assessed as vetassess don't have trade tests as such, also the difference in prices?

I am also considering TRA pathway c i think, 5 years informal apprenticeship except i don't know if i have strong enough case, here is my work history and let me know what you think

College 2004- 8 months of 1 day in college doing 9 hours starting my course in barbering

College 2006 - 1 year completing my barbering qualification 1 day in college 9 hours

Formal training - working as an apprentice for 5 months in 2004 training everyday with cuts, colours, blow drys in a unisex salon taking my hours way over 1500 training

Work 2005 - late 2007

2 1/2 years in **** Men's hairdressing - job role - hairdresser, assistant manager - manager - educator to apprentices

work late 2007 - early 2008 mark powells men's hair - job role stylist - cutting colouring shaves blow drys

work 2008 - april - october - a sydney salon as a stylist all aspects of hairdressing

late 2008 - early 2009- manager of a men;s hairdressers

June 2009 - present - barber/stylist/shaver at one of londons tops salons

I can get references and written confirmation for all my work but do you think this is a strong enough case and who should i go to?

Do you think i should get my trades assessed for pathway e as its really expensive?

Any help appreciated, sorry if it's a bit scattered

Miguel

I would say Pathway E. Contact Pivot Point in Melbourne - they usually come over to the UK twice a year to do assessments.

Guest tjmckay

Can anyone help , my daughter going to Melbourne on Working Holiday Visa on 17 Nov 09 & is a qualified hairdresser in Scotland for last 6 half years. She was going to do TRA test but not sure were to start as she done all her training & exams in the shop she worked in?

Also is there anyway she could extend her WHV to 2 years while she is in Ausse, any help would be great thanks :chatterbox:;

hi there to all you hairdressers,i thought i would post some information that my agent has told me,she said that hairdressing is coming off the MODL in november!!!! i have had to send all my paperwork off this week so we can lodge before november because apparently if you have lodged befor they take your skill off you still count!! but we will still be in for a long waite but at least we will be in the pipeline if the minister makes any more changes.

Can anyone help , my daughter going to Melbourne on Working Holiday Visa on 17 Nov 09 & is a qualified hairdresser in Scotland for last 6 half years. She was going to do TRA test but not sure were to start as she done all her training & exams in the shop she worked in?

Also is there anyway she could extend her WHV to 2 years while she is in Ausse, any help would be great thanks :chatterbox:;

Hi,

Not sure about how to pass TRA if you have trained in salon. I think it depends on whether it was a formal 3 yr apprenticeship, with 900 hours training. You'd be best speaking to an agent, or someone on this thread may be able to help.

I believe you can extend a WHV for another year as a relative of mine did it. She worked for a year on the first WHV, then had to do 3 months working remotely, in agriculture, which she did working in the middle of no-where on a sheep farm, then applied for another year WHV. She ended up getting sponsored by an employer she worked for during her 2nd year, and is now there on a 4 yr employer sponsored visa.

Good luck,

hi tania,thanks for that,we have just sent the money for our visa applications and to lodge them before november! thats when hairdressing is coming off the MODL,now for the long waite!!! how are you getting on now? have you settled in a bit more? you always seened so positive on here,it was a bit worrying at how down you seemed,i hope you are feeling better now,

sheryl x

Hi Sheryl

I have finally got a part time job in a salon i start on Friday, i am also in the process of starting a mobile business, we have just come back from the hairdressing wholesalers and bought some stock so fingers crossed its all systems go. I think we will know in the next month or two whether we will stay here or return home

Tania X

hi tania,good luck with the new job on friday,hope it all goes well,would you mind keeping us informed at how you get on?? you know things like how different they work to us and how many clients you expected to do and things like that!!!

thanks sheryl x

Guest WoodyXRomford

My girlfriend worked in Australia in 2003/2004 as a hairdresser while on her working holiday visa. She didnt have to do any exams just a trade test to prove her skills. It may have changed since then but just make sure your daugther brings all her certificates and gets as many references from previous employers and also if she could get a couple from her clients just to write a quick statement about how happy they are with her hairdressing. These will always stand to you no matter where in the world you go.

With regards to the second year visa, you must do at least 3 months regional or agricultural work within the 1st year. If she finds an employer they can sponsor her after the year is up but she would have to stay and work for only them, so she would have to be certain that the place/job was for her.

Guest paulandtara
hi there to all you hairdressers,i thought i would post some information that my agent has told me,she said that hairdressing is coming off the MODL in november!!!! i have had to send all my paperwork off this week so we can lodge before november because apparently if you have lodged befor they take your skill off you still count!! but we will still be in for a long waite but at least we will be in the pipeline if the minister makes any more changes.

Is there any way that you can ask her how she got that information Sheryl? I've been reading other threads on this and other sites and other agents are saying that changes will now not be made until December.

Apparently this could mean that hairdressing stays on the list but with a stricter criteria, or it will be worth less points, or as you say comes off the list altogether; however no one knows for sure until the department of immigration release the information.

So is there any way that your agent can tell you if she knows this for sure and how, because if she has some 'inside information' then we all need to get our backsides into gear!

Thanks, Tara

Archived