Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

Guest the dobbas

hi all

i am looking for a fully qualified hairdresser full/part time for a very up market beach front salon in adelaide, henley beach area. ( sorry i can not sponsor anyone )

send me a p.m if you are interested.

many thanks

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tumblealot
If you are considering becoming a mobile hairdresser in Queensland you will need a licence, you may or may not realise this but thought I would mention it all the same...

Hello,

My OH is a hairdresser and we are moving th QLD in september. will he need a licence to work in salons or is it only if you are mobile? Just curious because we didnt know. I am wondering if there is anything else we should know.

Thank you

Chloe xx

Guest Tracey Jay
Hello,

My OH is a hairdresser and we are moving th QLD in september. will he need a licence to work in salons or is it only if you are mobile? Just curious because we didnt know. I am wondering if there is anything else we should know.

Thank you

Chloe xx

Hi as far as I know you only need a licence for WA and not QLD Hope this helps and somebody can answer you for sure. Tracey.

Guest tumblealot

Thank you for that. If anyone else knows of any info, it is much appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of any hairdressing or barboring jobs, that would be great!

Thank you

Chloe x

Guest the dobbas

hi all

dated 30/07/2009

well i dont know who says theres no hairdressing jobs around but as you can see from an earlier post i am looking for a one and its an award winning salon !

i even have the job advertised on seek.com.au and still nothing

I thought I'd better clear this information up before too many people become concerned about whether they need a licence or not. I am refering to QLD only and not WA. When I posted the info about licences I was a new arrival to these shores and informed by another hairdresser that it was a requirement, but I believe she was refering to opening and running a salon as a business and not actually working in one as an employee.

I can now state that you do not need a licence for hairdressing...Hope that's cleared that one up.

Hello,

Thank you

Chloe xx

Guest tumblealot
hi all

dated 30/07/2009

well i dont know who says theres no hairdressing jobs around but as you can see from an earlier post i am looking for a one and its an award winning salon !

i even have the job advertised on seek.com.au and still nothing

Hello,

Sorry to hear you've been advertising but had no luck so far. Where are you?

Its great to hear there are jobs still being advertised, hopefully one of them will come our way when we come over! Were heading for Redcliffe.

Good luck with the search.

Chloe

Guest alicesmum

thank you, we have just got in contact with go matilda, i was just worried we would be ripped off with fees etc, so would yo reccomend using an agent etc?how did you find work once you got there? is it a case of going round the salns etc? are the hours similar to working salons here, saturdays, day off during the week etc? xx

thank you, we have just got in contact with go matilda, i was just worried we would be ripped off with fees etc, so would yo reccomend using an agent etc?how did you find work once you got there? is it a case of going round the salns etc? are the hours similar to working salons here, saturdays, day off during the week etc? xx

You may be lucky enough to find work in an independant salon that operates similar to a UK salon e.g. Sunday off and a day off during the week but some independant and large chain salons are based in or around shopping malls and operate 7 days a week, so Sundays may be included...

Hi we used Go-Matilda found them to be brill, best of luck with it all

Tania X

Hi there.

Don't know if anyone can help or advise on this one. My daughter is currently training as a hairdresser and should complete her NVQ2 within the next few months.

We would like to know how her qualifications would fit in with Australian qualifications. Is there a direct link between NVQ and the AQF scheme, for example. Or would she need to 'convert' her NVQ into something else.

Also, we would like to know what her employment opportunities are likely to be as a newly qualified but inexperience hairdresser.

We would appreciate any advice, particularly from someone who has gone through a similar process.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest j14ynf
tra is all about proving that you are competent in what you do, so certifcates of quals and any other courses, i supplied accounts of my self-employment, stat decs from clients to say how long i had done their hair for, what service i provided them with e.g colour, cut etc, receipts, my local wholesaler wrote a letter to say how long i had traded with them, how much i had spent and what sort of items i had bought, i know i had to gather alot of info and i would have struggled if i had not used a agent. Whether things have changed now, i don't know as i did this well over 12 months ago.

Tania x

hi tania, just waiting for another ref from a co;worker from 1985 .after you collected your info for tra did you have a skill assessment and where did you do it

thanx for all the info provided jayne

Guest j14ynf
Hi i didn't have to take a skill assessment, it was enough just to write what i did, and stat decs to prove everything, and sending off all my certificates, best of luck with it all, this part is stressful, gathering all the information

Tania X

Thanx very much for the very quick reply i thought you had to do a skill assessment this is very helpful will let you know how i get on

jayne

Guest tumblingdice

Hello, can anyone give me an idea of wages and job availability at the moment, especially around the Perth area? We've just had our state sponsorship approved for WA (YAY!) and are just double checking that it's feasible for us to up sticks before making our main application.

I just find it a bit confusing that everyone says the wages are crap, the average I've found seems to be around the $20 p/h mark which equals about £10 - I have 10 yrs experience and I'm on £5.65 p/h at the moment in Scarborough, UK so Aussie wages look pretty good to me, is the cost of living really that high over there?

thanks and sorry for the long winded post

Kim x

hi kim,

when i was there in june i spoke to a salon owner n whirfords and he said he paid $21 an hr and he would pay superanuation but you dont get any tips and im not sure about commision either.

i thought the cost of living was quite high especially for food and rent but that hasent stoped us from going.

jools x

Hello, can anyone give me an idea of wages and job availability at the moment, especially around the Perth area? We've just had our state sponsorship approved for WA (YAY!) and are just double checking that it's feasible for us to up sticks before making our main application.

I just find it a bit confusing that everyone says the wages are crap, the average I've found seems to be around the $20 p/h mark which equals about £10 - I have 10 yrs experience and I'm on £5.65 p/h at the moment in Scarborough, UK so Aussie wages look pretty good to me, is the cost of living really that high over there?

thanks and sorry for the long winded post

Kim x

hi there, im working in a salon at the mo the pay is $22 per hour as im a casual incl tax and super paid on top[ plus $7 per week tool allowance , this can change as for part time or full time , some salons pay more or less , just been looking at the wednesday addition of the west australian and there are lots of hairdresser jobs advertised , tips are a def no go here ( begger) sooo used to that in uk ! some things are way more expensive and some are way cheaper, so its swings and roundabouts , also depends on the life you want to live... all the best with the visa , as i said on an earlier post you do have to resit hair exams here in wa ( google the hairdressing regulation board WA) 2 exams written( multiple choice ) and practical, perm colour and fashion cut ( full head tint) and gents cut if your combined..

also advise all hairdressers coming over to apply for principle , not employed as this means you can work alone or without a principle above you ( pecking order lol) apparently they are doing away with this to be the same as the other states , as wa is a bit backwards !! say no more. another thing , bring all your own kit, it is expensive here your expected to provide your own, incl dryers , straighteners etc...

hi there, im working in a salon at the mo the pay is $22 per hour as im a casual incl tax and super paid on top[ plus $7 per week tool allowance , this can change as for part time or full time , some salons pay more or less , just been looking at the wednesday addition of the west australian and there are lots of hairdresser jobs advertised , tips are a def no go here ( begger) sooo used to that in uk ! some things are way more expensive and some are way cheaper, so its swings and roundabouts , also depends on the life you want to live... all the best with the visa , as i said on an earlier post you do have to resit hair exams here in wa ( google the hairdressing regulation board WA) 2 exams written( multiple choice ) and practical, perm colour and fashion cut ( full head tint) and gents cut if your combined..

also advise all hairdressers coming over to apply for principle , not employed as this means you can work alone or without a principle above you ( pecking order lol) apparently they are doing away with this to be the same as the other states , as wa is a bit backwards !! say no more. another thing , bring all your own kit, it is expensive here your expected to provide your own, incl dryers , straighteners etc...

hi sharon ,

i wonder if you or anyone else could answer my question, the guy i spoke to in oz said it would be casual what does that mean ,and also do you get commision on services and retail or is it just a flat rate,.:err: oh and is tax same as here

thanks in advance

jools x

hi jools, casual is that im paid my wages more than the full and part times , BUT i don't get sick pay or holiday, so within reason i can take my hols or finish at a reasonable time that suits me , not sure on the nitty gritty saying that if were not busy i have been asked to go home too( bit worrying at times, only happened twice so far !) tax is taken out of your wages and its like america you go to an accountant end of tax years and get your returns done, i think you can do on line , but its cheap you just go to a HR BLOCK they are everywhere, keep all your receipts , clothes kit , etc. probably a whole different thread for that , and what you can put in for, its strange here , but im told i will get a lot back . pheww

anyway part time or full is best b'cause you get the extras and maybe good pay too, i think my wages are ok, and im not bothered about being casual it suits me with childeren , all the best , as i said lots of jobs in hair here , cannot belive what people spend on shampoos etc blows me away!!

Guest tumblingdice

cheers, that's a big help. I think we're going to bite the bullet and go for it, we've come too far with this not to really

Archived