Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

just got my first aus job, in wa $22.00 per hr first 3 months , and then all the extra's , get tool allowance , hols etc .. im ok with this as i really like the look of the place and the bosses seem great , so start next week 3 days per week .. and they do in house training with colour companys and other courses too, i think thats great as well , so hope fully ill be typing in a few weeks to say its all good ! fingers crossed , have applied for wa rego so ive to book the written..(multiple choice) first and then my models , tint (full head) cut and finish , perm (yuk) and scissor over comb .. im hoping after 22 years i don't fluff it ...

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the wa rego has to be done within 6 months of the council seeing the case other wise you have to re submit, written first and practical after.. all ways apply for principal as this allows you to work on your own and manage salons , otherise you have to have a principal above you , google hair registration board wa ..(wembley) this is the main website and very imformative ..

Guest knackered

Hi, I also asked similiar question but unfortunately got no reply. 2007 I had applied for student visa and got it in a few weeks there was no mention of our financial status, and i was bringing hubby n 2 kids with me. We would both be allowed work 20hrs per week. It may have changed now. My house sale fell through so thats why im still stuck here but still trying my best to sell up and move to the sunshine.

Guest Tracey Jay
just got my first aus job, in wa $22.00 per hr first 3 months , and then all the extra's , get tool allowance , hols etc .. im ok with this as i really like the look of the place and the bosses seem great , so start next week 3 days per week .. and they do in house training with colour companys and other courses too, i think thats great as well , so hope fully ill be typing in a few weeks to say its all good ! fingers crossed , have applied for wa rego so ive to book the written..(multiple choice) first and then my models , tint (full head) cut and finish , perm (yuk) and scissor over comb .. im hoping after 22 years i don't fluff it ...

Hi nice post. I"m hoping to be in WA this year so found your posts informative. You say you are working 3 days. That"s what I"m hoping to do...what hours you working? I"ve been self employed for 18 yrs and am looking forward to been empoyed for a change!! Keep us up dated please, hope all goes well for you.

Tracey:jiggy:

hi tracey , thanks.. well im doing thurs 1-9 late night fri 9 -5.30 sat 9-5 same as i did in uk really , bar thurs the late ... ive got peopl allready asking to have hair done at home, all the product are the same tigi salons aveda , wella etc .. im working with matrix ... lol which was also the same as i was in the uk .. you get a permission to work permit before you sit the registration .. so you can start earning as soon as you want, i have to say there are q a few jobs advertized in the western autralian paper ( jobs on wed and sat here ) so maybe worth a google .. the paper i mean.

another thing , i peronally think hair stuff is expensive here , maybe the comp in the uk( re wholesalers) or location.. im not sure , but salons here up untill now i have found expect you to provide your own tools ie dryers , straighteners, tonges, scissors.. etc brushes ..

well the only thing i brought was my scissors and combs... i wish id brought the lot, if its good quality i would bring it!

Guest toria

HI EVERYONE,

Just thought I would let you know that I passed my tra yesterday so I can sleep easy knowing that is out the way. Its funny how you worry about passing something you have been doing for years and could probably do with your eyes shut. Anyway it brings you closer to reading the threads about working in oz. Good luck to anyone preparing theirs.

Toria

HI EVERYONE,

Just thought I would let you know that I passed my tra yesterday so I can sleep easy knowing that is out the way. Its funny how you worry about passing something you have been doing for years and could probably do with your eyes shut. Anyway it brings you closer to reading the threads about working in oz. Good luck to anyone preparing theirs.

Toria

Sorry forgot to quote...

Hi, how did you find the TRA, gonna be doing mine soon and was wondering how indepth it is?.

thanks

Guest toria

Hi Tania

I am applying for 176 family sponser visa, I know it will be a long wait but it will go in quick and give us more time to save.

Toria

Guest toria

Hi Chrislnd,

I used an agent which helps you have to cover everything from cleaning properly and thoroughly as a junior, taking instructions from seniors to becoming a senior yourself and every detail inbetween. I even wrote down about writing the lunch lists out and the importance of standing watching a stylist at every free moment and opportunity. Hope this helps, are you using an agent?

Toria

When I went via the TRA all I gave them in the way of references was 3 and a statutory declaration, The longest reference was 3 pages and this was with the company who I served my apprenticeship with....

My husband is in the process of scanning all our old TRA documents and refences for people to view online and get an idea of what to write as I am sure manyof you are suffering from writers block especially trying to remember your training years, because all I remember of mine is work, party, work, party, work and more partying...lol. I have already posted Statutory Declarations and Work Reference online that I submitted to the TRA. Good luck to anyone applying, yes it is daunting but you will get there in the end...

Sorry forgot to quote...

Hi, how did you find the TRA, gonna be doing mine soon and was wondering how indepth it is?.

thanks

Hi as other people have already said ther TRA is very in depth, i wrote everything i did from when i started hairdressing from shampooing, conditioning the hair, making appointments answering the telephone, cleaning the floor and work surfaces, disinfecting tools etc, i wrote a statement for each job i had, i did fail my TRA first time and had to resubmit more info, but i had to prove i was working 20 hours a week as i have worked for myself for a long time, good luck with it all, and it will be well worth it in the end

Tania X

Hi as other people have already said ther TRA is very in depth, i wrote everything i did from when i started hairdressing from shampooing, conditioning the hair, making appointments answering the telephone, cleaning the floor and work surfaces, disinfecting tools etc, i wrote a statement for each job i had, i did fail my TRA first time and had to resubmit more info, but i had to prove i was working 20 hours a week as i have worked for myself for a long time, good luck with it all, and it will be well worth it in the end

Tania X

Thanks for all the advice, I just hope they start processing 175s soon, keep putting the info on as it is a great help, to all!.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone hope your ok, i just finished my level 3 in hair woo hoo :jiggy:just got to try get some experience work now before we go! its D week for us waiting to hear back if we have got our flat rented out i finished college and luke may not have a job so there is nothing stopping us now . could of done with some more savings but staying will only eat into them more. staying positive that it will all run smoothly... AS IF!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure: when ya off Tania ??? hope its all going well hun xx

Thanks Claire we go out on 1st June to validate staying until the 12th, although someone has put an offer in on our house today, so thrown us quite abit on what to do now.

Congrats on passing level 3 i bet your dead chuffed. When are you hoping to make the big move then??

Tania X

oooooooooh Tania u might be off for good then? sounds good getting offer!! well done. we are off early october at mo but nothing booked yet cause if we got no work them might bring it forward to august . not sure really its a night mare cause of the ressession isnt it? we need to get casual work when we are travelling round oz as our savings arnt going to cover everything now as we hoped. everyones plans are going t*ts up now i think we not the only ones. xx

Totally agree with you, we've lost so much on our house, so feeling quite down about it, and the recession theres no guarantee of jobs out in Oz, at least i have good clients here which keep me going, a big decision on what to do.

Best of luck with your plans Claire hope it goes well for you both

Tania X

Archived