Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

hi ya that is shocking,i do about 12 clients aday and that is enough,i would hate to send out crap work.How long have you lived sunshine coast?is buderim any good to live,and where do you live and work,sorry for all questions but i am wondering if the grass is greener in oz,i would be leavin a fab rent a chair salon.we are coming to qsl on 176 visa on my hubby being a carpenter.cheers jane:shocked:

I will try to be brief as have to go to work, Buderim is a lovely town. I work in an area called Kawana Waters, the job is good but it will never be like UK, it's just different, styles, techniques, etc..and wages in OZ for stylists and tradies is awful, you will not earn no where near what you earnt in the UK but the flipside of the coin is the beautiful beaches, nice weather, nice people with relaxed attitudes, the weekend meets, etc...That's worth a paycut in itself. I can not say whether the grass is greener because what works for me may not work for you, all you can do is come and find out for yourself...

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all have just applied for my rego with wembly hair board in perth , im told 128$ and send my certs and the board will check them and see if im to sit exam and do my time , i think i will as i qualified as city and guilds and it was in the 1989 -90 , also rang a local colledege who do a course to see you through the papers and access you for oz hair qualifications and refressher , over here .. $2,500 yikes iks a week s course sounds fun , but im not paying that , been salon based all my life, nice to see its all the same products etc , have rang a few jobs but they want rego first ! will follow up with my story so wish me luck, ill be so ashamed if i failed after all these years arghhhhh..

Guest SIMEX
They are taking hairdressers off the CSL as far as I know but still on the MODL. We can hopefully get a state sponsor but it means we will need to go to Perth, Adelaide, Northern territory or ACT. Thats all the places we havn't been!

Ali, xx

Morning! I have just been to an expo in London , spoke to an immigration guy who ( to the disgust of my husband) laughed as he told us hairdressing was indeed off the list and the only chance i had now was the 176 state sponsored... and even having family in Brisbane wouldnt help coz of the area they live......It was the end of the day and he was probably tired......So i have checked out SA and QLD and we as hairdressers are only able to get there on 176.

BUT .. we can still get there and i will continue....xx:twitcy:

Morning! I have just been to an expo in London , spoke to an immigration guy who ( to the disgust of my husband) laughed as he told us hairdressing was indeed off the list and the only chance i had now was the 176 state sponsored... and even having family in Brisbane wouldnt help coz of the area they live......It was the end of the day and he was probably tired......So i have checked out SA and QLD and we as hairdressers are only able to get there on 176.

Good for you with such a positive attitude, i would have been tempted to slap him one, where are you hoping to head for then?

Tania X

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi there,

As far as I am aware hairdressing is still on the MODL but has never been on CSL. Occupations on the MODL are not been processed at present so maybe he ment that(no need for him to laugh). Only occupations on CSL are been processed. There has been a rumour that hairdressing is to be taken off MODL.

Are you sure that hairdessing is on QLD list for 176? I was originally going to Brisbane to family but changed to state sponsorship WA, I also have family there. Are you sure it"s not the regional temp visa for QLD that you"ve looked at? My cousins offered to sponsor me but these visas aren"t been processed either.

It"s a minefield out there!! Hope you don"t mind me questioning you. I may be totally wrong but this is what my research has thrown up.

Good luck with everything hope everything works out for you, Tracey.

Guest SIMEX

Hi .. No i can´t be sure .. everytime i read or am told something else about the changes i get contradictory results. I still have to wait for my TRA results so it will all have changed by the time i actually apply...I was told at the expo also that the list for SA state sponsorship will be reassessed again in July.

We would like to go to Brisbane ( me personally the Gold coast) But it is looking like we need to go to SA (family are there).. We have not lived in the uk for 9 years or so ,so don´t think we would get on in WA because of the climate. I am always on the hunt for a beautiful sandy beach.. didn´t find it in Spain so i was hoping to get to QLD. The job is pretty much the same all over, if anything it should in theory be easier in an english speaking country.

And we always have to stay positive...... Especially every friday for the lottery!!!

Lololo Bek xx

Hi there, I was speaking to an agent and he said tht QLD dont offer sponsorship to hairdressers and that we would be better off trying for WA. We dont know anyone there so we dont know what to do. We are also not in a great rush so wondered if it would be best to just go for the 175 but if they are not even being processsed then who knows when we would get there... If we even would!!!

Ali, x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi as some of you already know, we are going to validate our visas in June, now i'm really thinking of staying out there and just going for it. I had a look on one of the job sites a few days ago and there seems to be quite a few jobs still out there for hairdressers, what are other peoples views on this. I looked at Melbourne for the jobs, i don't know where we will settle yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Tania X

Guest sharen

Hi I am a hairdresser and thinking of applying to live in Australia, I am 42 and at present own a hair salon, I am in a little dilema as the business is doing well and I have only owned it for just over 12 months so I am pleased with its growth.

My worry is not mine but my childrens futures, I just dont think the UK is going to be able to offer them a great future, we are already overcrowded our country is just so small.

I am thinking if I were to apply to Australia and be accepted that Oz must surely be able to offer a better future than the uk can.

I would need to use a migration agent but its knowing which one is the best. I am not sure of where to try to live as my son who is 3 has sever Asthma and would need a climate that would best suit him. Believe it or not we went to Spain not too long ago and the weather was beautifull and yet his Asthma was awful so not necessarily the sun will help him.

Biggest problem is that references are a big problem sounds terrible I know but as I am 42 a lot of my previous employers have passed away as they would be in their early 90s now lol. So references will be a problem. Only passed my NVQ2 last year and should pass my NVQ3 in December. I have practiced Hairdressing since I was 15 but was never put forward for an aprenticeship all the hairdressers I worked for were exceptionally busy and wanted me to work all the time, so I had no time to go to college. I went to college only to get my qualifications when I was told that I would need these to have a chance of being successfull with my application to live in Australia. Sorry I waffle on this is my first time on Poms in Oz so sorry to bore everyone. Any body to talk to and help me would be really helpful. xx

Hi and welcome to the forum, i have been a hairdresser for 24 years, and since 1986 i have worked for myself, so i did not get any references from previous employees as the salons no longer existed or i had lost contact with them. I passed my level 3 in 1993 and then i suppiled witness stats from clients, wholesalers and ex partner, i did fail TRA first time round and then had to resubmit more info then i passed, thank goodness. I used Go-Matilda with my process, good luck and if i can help you with anything then give us a shout

Tania X

Guest sharen

Hi Tania,

Thanks for replying so quickly, its great to speak to you I dont feel so isolated now. I will try go matilda just keep my fingers crossed. When you say you failed TRA do you mean the exams or your application for an assessment failed. Sorry to be a pain. x

Guest Tracey Jay

hi tanya, bet you are well giddy. going to oz in june...lucky you. hope i won"t be far behind you!! have you sold you house yet? we"ve got CO now. having meds done on 22nd.

hi sharen, i"ve been self employed for 18 yrs and only had 1 employer that i couldn"t get a ref from. i got letters from tax office, accountant, wholesalers and clients old and new. i had applied to go back to college to do my level 3 and included my acceptance letter. send as much info as possible to track your working life.

good luck tracey.

Hi Tania,

Thanks for replying so quickly, its great to speak to you I dont feel so isolated now. I will try go matilda just keep my fingers crossed. When you say you failed TRA do you mean the exams or your application for an assessment failed. Sorry to be a pain. x

Hi Sharen, i failed the assessment for TRA i just had to provide more evidence that i was actually working the 20 hours a week, at the time of applying i was working at the College aswell and had just had a baby. I just provided more evidence which was then accepted, although it was very nerve racking at the time, as you think you have failed at the first hurdle

Best of luck

Tania X:wubclub:

Guest sharen

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for that advice I will get as much info as I can however did have a break for about 5 years when I was concentrating on the children so doubt if Tax office will have records as after that 5 years I then set up the business which was Feb 2008. I will try my best though Keep in touch glad your app is going so well.

Good Luck Tania I'm sure your going to do so well when you get to Austalia x

Hi Tracey we still have not sold our house yet but we are going to be on a mission the next few weeks to try and push it. We are getting viewings and we might think about reducing it again, especially now the flights are all booked, i don't fancy paying for the 6 of us again to go to Oz. Good luck with your medicals, where are you hoping to go to again

Tania X

Guest sharen

What did you have to do at the TRA assessement is it difficult should I get my study books out again LOL any tips at what to study most. Thanks in Advance x

TRA is all about proving that you are competent in what you do, so certifcates of quals and any other courses, i supplied accounts of my self-employment, stat decs from clients to say how long i had done their hair for, what service i provided them with e.g colour, cut etc, receipts, my local wholesaler wrote a letter to say how long i had traded with them, how much i had spent and what sort of items i had bought, i know i had to gather alot of info and i would have struggled if i had not used a agent. Whether things have changed now, i don't know as i did this well over 12 months ago.

Tania X

Guest sharen

Ok Tania I'll let you crack on now I know you are probably busy but thank you for your advice all I have to find out now is if the climate will suit my little one. Take care and Thank you xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulandtara

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what the average wage for a hairdresser is in Western Australia?

Me and my fiancee are looking to move there next year and are just about to submit my TRA paperwork.

I have been working for Toni & Guy for 9 years and have been promoted up to art director for my salon, I also have an NVQ 2.

Am just interested to know what sort of wage I can expect to earn out there?

Thanks,

Tara

Guest Tracey Jay
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what the average wage for a hairdresser is in Western Australia?

Me and my fiancee are looking to move there next year and are just about to submit my TRA paperwork.

I have been working for Toni & Guy for 9 years and have been promoted up to art director for my salon, I also have an NVQ 2.

Thanks,

Tara

Hi Tara, I would be interested to know this too....good question. I"m hoping to move there this year. We have a case officer, having our meds done on wednesday.

Good luck with your TRA it seems ages ago since I did mine. It"s certainly not a quick process!!

Regards Tracey

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Tara

Hi Tara,

I'd also be interested to find out as we are looking to go to Brisbane whenever our visa comes through. I had heard that wages would be quite a bit lower, but suppose you've got to take into account all the other plus'es of being out there.

My husband is a hairdresser and has emailed his CV to numerous salons hoping to arrange meetings for when he goes out for a visit in a few months time, but not one has responded, and they are all big salon groups. He has lots of experience too. It makes you wonder if they are actually recruiting much at the moment. Well, he is going to give them a call this week to see if they've read his emails and will see what they are saying.

Shaz

Guest PeanutChild

I wonder if anyone could help me, i have been looking into education Visa's for hairdressing, from what i understand if you take a course for a trade that appears on the skilled trade list once you have qualified and met all the requirements you can apply for PR. Before i apply i need to prove that i have enough money to support myself while i am studying, I have also looked into taking my spouse with me this is possible but do i have to proof we have enough money to support both of us or is he able to work as i know on an eductaional visa you are limited to 20 hrs a wk.

Thanks

Archived