Guest James.S

Hello all

I have my practical assessment in August, i have been sent from vettassess a elective candidate booklet to fill in and show my assessor on the day.

It is asking to fully describe relevant training, skills, and work experience in emergency and safety systems, and diagnosing and rectifying faultts in d.c

circuits.

Has anyone else been asked to do this?

I am at a loss as to what they are looking for, i have already provided vetassess with all the evidence i have

If any sparks on here have any advice or information on this that would be a great help.

Hi Guys

A question for those of you doing or have done the Gap Training. My OH was booked in for July but managed to get some work so has postponed it until Sept. When he gets the log book will it be able to be backdated to the work he has already done?

Thanks

Lou

Hi Guys

A question for those of you doing or have done the Gap Training. My OH was booked in for July but managed to get some work so has postponed it until Sept. When he gets the log book will it be able to be backdated to the work he has already done?

Thanks

Lou

Yes it can be backdated

Hi, Does anyone know of a company that is willing to sponsor a 457 visa in Queensland. I currently hold a Qld electrical mechanic license and i am living in Brisbane.

Thanks

I think you will find it very hard to find a sponsor as an electrician. Companies now have to prove they have advertised locally first and there will be so many tradies already looking for a job.

Helppppp me!

I've got 4 months left on my visa and am panicking ! I've just sent off for my offshore skills record , but I'm being told that even with that and a provisional licence I still can't get a 457 visa or regional sponsored migration , is this true ? Do u need to be a fully licensed electrician to be able to get a 457 or sponsored visa ??

Surley there must be another way as not everyone can get a working holiday visa !

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Well your post does not really make sense but i am guessing your on a WHV and hoping to get sponsored by a company. I am sure they can sponsor you but unless you are currently working for someone who is going to sponsor you then i don't think you will find it easy to find a sponsor as there are plenty of guys here with PR looking for jobs.Do you mean Permanent residency with regard to regional sponsored migration if so then obviously you don't need a license as how do you think people like me apply from the uk?

Hi Guys, im just hoping to find out if any of you are having the same issue as me and how to best go forward.

I'm already living in Perth on a 457 Visa with 3 years left on it.

My Job here is an inter-company transfer from Scotland to Here in Perth, my Visa was rushed through to get me here without having the chance to sort out vetassess etc.

So, I am now here, ive just found out my Licence card from the UK has expired, I have my Electrical Craftsmans certificate, apprenticeship papers, a Occupation Health and safety Certificate from 2010 and my 17th Edition Certificate. there was a suggestion that i would have had to do a course in the UK to update my Card, but obviously thats out of the question. has anyone had this problem, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks, Alan

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys first time on forum so bear with me please hope i have done this correctly, just wondering if anyone could advise me on some steps please. I am a UK qualified electrician with 13yrs experience including my apprenticeship in domestic commercial and industrial, installation and maintenance moving to Brisbane next year sometime, i have my P.R visa through my wife so i understand i need to get a ATRC once i arrive in oz, then apply to the Queensland licensing authority to get a supervised license that's as far as i have got can anyone tell me the next steps please i know i need to do a logbook and trade test but if you could explain the process and fees i would be very grateful also if you could tell me what regs books i need to get and where i can get them from and if there is anything i can do in the UK before i leave for OZ to help speed up my process of looking for work any info on anything would be much appreciated.

cheers Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is my first post and will properly copy & paste this same post in another relevant pomsinoz forum.

I am a fully qualified UK electrician with 4 years qualified experience, previous work inc light industrial installs, commericial refurbs & maintenance and new build homes.

I am currently in WA (Perth) on a working holiday visa and am looking for a little experience as maybe a trades assistant before I throw myself into getting my trade recognised etc. As I have reasons to believe I have a excellent chance of obtaining a WA SS I thought It would be best for me to get out here on a WHV get some experience of the working conditions, area and life in general and go from there. BUT, I am struggling to find anyone whatsoever to even give me a chance, I guess I made the mistake of thinking that by having the skills and being cheap labour in comparison, I would be desirable. (This could serve as a warning to others looking to do the same)

Basically Just wondering if anyone out there is or has been in the same boat or has any advice / help to give me on my best options?

Thanks in Advance

J

Hi guys!! I can see from the first post there was information about trades recognition to help with what is required for electricians to work in oz, but this website has now changed and I'm struggling to find anything on the government site that gives help about the a grade licensing does anyone have a link at all?? Thanks

Hi guys!! I can see from the first post there was information about trades recognition to help with what is required for electricians to work in oz, but this website has now changed and I'm struggling to find anything on the government site that gives help about the a grade licensing does anyone have a link at all?? Thanks

Read the recent pages on this thread and you will find out everything you need to know.

Guest krissie goring

Hi

my hubby is an electrician has been for 19 years

we came out 2 years ago from brighton

we went threw a agent took 3 years

As for looking for work, my hubby wrote down all the firms near the suburb we wanted to live in and went to them. more than once. he he he, shows determination...

He worked for a small company then, got poached to work for another firm

He is now earning good money supervisor of the largest firm in perth

Also get your restricted licence before you come out

as hubby had to what 3 months to complete the full licence.(no pay)

His mate came out from the UK,he had the restricted licence and went to college the very next day. Had his licence within days

GOOD LUCK

Guest krissie goring

after passing all the uk exams

you collect all your papers

call energy safety for your restricted licence

but you will need to have an address here in oz so they can sent it to.

Does anyone know how to get the e profiling going? Hubby has attended the gap training course at Balga , has been working and now wants to get e profiling completed but we don't have the website address to log on to or a user name and password. Should the college have provided this?

All help appreciated! Thanks

Can anyone please tell me exactly what an electrician without a contractors licence is entitled to work on in WA. I'm having a debate in work we are all "A" licences electricians but the company is not a contracting company nor do we have an in house contractor. So we obviously can't do electrical contracting work. We repair catering equipment. My view is we can obviously connect a new appliance into an existing isolator as this is not altering the existing "fixed" wires of the building. Others say we cannot but I can't find anything that definitively answers the debate beyond doubt.!! Help please I'm walking into a war zone in morning wanto know everyone's thoughts please.

Hi

my hubby is an electrician has been for 19 years

we came out 2 years ago from brighton

we went threw a agent took 3 years

As for looking for work, my hubby wrote down all the firms near the suburb we wanted to live in and went to them. more than once. he he he, shows determination...

He worked for a small company then, got poached to work for another firm

He is now earning good money supervisor of the largest firm in perth

Also get your restricted licence before you come out

as hubby had to what 3 months to complete the full licence.(no pay)

His mate came out from the UK,he had the restricted licence and went to college the very next day. Had his licence within days

GOOD LUCK

Who does he work for then...? Nilsen's...??

Can anyone please tell me exactly what an electrician without a contractors licence is entitled to work on in WA. I'm having a debate in work we are all "A" licences electricians but the company is not a contracting company nor do we have an in house contractor. So we obviously can't do electrical contracting work. We repair catering equipment. My view is we can obviously connect a new appliance into an existing isolator as this is not altering the existing "fixed" wires of the building. Others say we cannot but I can't find anything that definitively answers the debate beyond doubt.!! Help please I'm walking into a war zone in morning wanto know everyone's thoughts please.

Disconnect and reconnect as far as i am aware no installation work!

• 2 weeks later...

I AM LOST.

I am a 30 year old approved electrician near Edinburgh. Me, my partner and 9 year old daughter would like to emigrate. I have contacted an agent to help us, and he has told me about vetassess. After reading through nearly all 208 pages on this thread, my heads about to explode and the cold horrible rainy weather of Scotland doesn't seem that bad after all!

what does vetassess actually do regards my quals (if anything)? we were hoping to move to NSW or Victoria. I didn't expect to be able to fall off the plane and land in a job, but financially, we are not in a position where i can afford to be looking for a job for any longer than 2-3 months before i'd have to return home with my tail between my legs. What can i do from the uk prior to my move that will help? We haven't even started the process yet, but will be applying for the 189 visa (according to the agent).

Can someone shed some light on what actions i should take if we were to move, for example, to the Newcastle area and how this would effect/improve my job prospects? My other half is now panicking about me being able to find work and it is threatening to put the whole move off. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM LOST.

I am a 30 year old approved electrician near Edinburgh. Me, my partner and 9 year old daughter would like to emigrate. I have contacted an agent to help us, and he has told me about vetassess. After reading through nearly all 208 pages on this thread, my heads about to explode and the cold horrible rainy weather of Scotland doesn't seem that bad after all!

what does vetassess actually do regards my quals (if anything)? we were hoping to move to NSW or Victoria. I didn't expect to be able to fall off the plane and land in a job, but financially, we are not in a position where i can afford to be looking for a job for any longer than 2-3 months before i'd have to return home with my tail between my legs. What can i do from the uk prior to my move that will help? We haven't even started the process yet, but will be applying for the 189 visa (according to the agent).

Can someone shed some light on what actions i should take if we were to move, for example, to the Newcastle area and how this would effect/improve my job prospects? My other half is now panicking about me being able to find work and it is threatening to put the whole move off. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottishsmudge,

its a minefield mate:

you must apply for migrations via VET they process your application & then provide certificates recognizing your skills &qualifications from the UK. that is NO electrical license to work in any state in Australia, part of the migration process you are invited to do a trade test in the UK in some town or city. when you pass that & the other stuff like medicals & if all is Ok at the end of the process you get the green light to migrate that can take nearly two years on average.

once you have the migration visa you then migrate to Australia you wont be able to work as an electrician until you obtain the full unrestriced electrical license & thats in any state. you then apply to your local Tafe (College) do do there Australian top up electrical wiring rules course then you apply to one of the few Accreditation agencies in the state you live in to do there State exams that's a mix of theory & then practical. Each state has there own exams its very time consuming & costly in the meantime you wont get work as an electrician & the problem is every job you do here must be signed of & to do that you must have the full electrical license.

when you eventually have that license if you intend to work for a company thats fine, but if you intend to be self employed then you must sit another course called the electrical contractors course without this your not able to quote for work & without that contractors certification you don't get insurance at all. its swings & roundabouts mate. your not allowed to do any electrical exams from the UK for Australia you must be residing in Australia before you can take any exams of classes.

so 1st do the application for migration (2 years) then when here get to the Tafe (College) expect that course to take a good 14 weeks 1 x night per week or some places now do a crash course say 5 x full days at college you must pass all components of all exams regardless of the state your living in. its Illegal to perform any work in Australia without the correct electrical licenses & self employed you must have insurance.

every job you do if self employed you must provide a cert of electrical safety to the customer & one to Energy Safe of the state your living in & you also keep a copy, its not an easy rd i must say but i suppose it all depends on the situation for you & your family, you may have to look at other employment when you get here for 12 months to 2 years until you have obtained the right licenses.

I dont know about NSW you may be able to contact energy safe NSW for info. but in Victoria its a nightmare to get it all sorted, i know people in SA have gone to PEER training they di a 7 x day full on course but your unable to transfer that license to any other state apart from NSW & im not 100% sure that door is still open now.

if you need anymore info just ask.

Arthur

Thanks. We are going to start the whole process in January. Give me some time between now and then to get as much money as possible together to pay for everything. I want everything paid cash, so when the move is going ahead, i can sell my house and use that money as cushion money when we land incase the job search isn't great. If i were to come over on the 189 visa, and didn't get a job in the electrical trade, could i get into bother with this? To be honest, i don't care what job i'd have to do, if it meant a roof over our heads and food on the table, i'd do it. Being a spark, that is obviously my number 1 choice, but if needs must, i'd do something else.

Thanks. We are going to start the whole process in January. Give me some time between now and then to get as much money as possible together to pay for everything. I want everything paid cash, so when the move is going ahead, i can sell my house and use that money as cushion money when we land incase the job search isn't great. If i were to come over on the 189 visa, and didn't get a job in the electrical trade, could i get into bother with this? To be honest, i don't care what job i'd have to do, if it meant a roof over our heads and food on the table, i'd do it. Being a spark, that is obviously my number 1 choice, but if needs must, i'd do something else.

you don't have to work in the electrical field when you get here **** loads of sparks give it away & do something else, but when you see some of the electrical work performed here you shall wonder why you have to go through all the crap for the license some of the work is simply shocking & thats in every state.

Its cold today in Melbourne & been a little drizzly this afternoon but we are now just going to Nip into the Spa (35C) for an hour (Ouch sorry) i bet its cold in Porridge land (Scotland).

Art

if you really want to know what its like here, its blowing a gale and when the rain hits your face, it feels like you're in the ring with tyson. Anyone wonder why i want out! Australia is the great unknown for us. 2 of her sisters have emigrated to Melbourne a few years ago, and they rave about the place. I'm 30 now and regretting not doing it younger, and i'll be damned getting to 60 and regretting not doing it at all.