Guest James.S

· Brief Overview. I am a 45 yr old qualified electrician toBritish standards and was a QS to my company in England before my arrival here,I am competent in all aspects of domestic, commercial and industrialinstallations, including test, inspect and verification.

· I am currently seeking employment as anunlicensed electrician to gain my full licence.

· I am residing in Albion Park 2527 with myfamily and hold a full driving licence.

so I am in the middle of all of this and cannot fathom it out as yet, been here for 2 months now and only just starting to look for a job as an electrician.

as far as I know so far is that I have to do a 3 month course at TAFE and 12 month practical ticking certain boxes as I go, once this has been signed off I go to VETASSES and they give me my license?

you will be very fortunate to get employment as a trade assistant its almost impossible people want you to have the full license for insurance purposes

· Brief Overview. I am a 45 yr old qualified electrician toBritish standards and was a QS to my company in England before my arrival here,I am competent in all aspects of domestic, commercial and industrialinstallations, including test, inspect and verification.

· I am currently seeking employment as anunlicensed electrician to gain my full licence.

· I am residing in Albion Park 2527 with myfamily and hold a full driving licence.

so I am in the middle of all of this and cannot fathom it out as yet, been here for 2 months now and only just starting to look for a job as an electrician.

as far as I know so far is that I have to do a 3 month course at TAFE and 12 month practical ticking certain boxes as I go, once this has been signed off I go to VETASSES and they give me my license?

so can anyone tell me the definitive way of obtaining your license over here when you land with an unlicensed license, because I fell like I'm going round in circles at moment.

well you 1st go to Energy Safe of the state your residing in & apply for the restricted electrical license, then you enquire at the Tafe (College) of the state your living in & each state has different types of exams i have been told in Perth they can do a 5 day full on course at a couple of Tafe's but they are booked very quickly so the wait time may be many months. once you have completed the exams via a recognized RTO & you pass everything you can then apply to for the license that lets you work with a company BUT you shall have to complete the 12 months log book of work performed then after all that you can apply for the Unrestricted Electrical License.

If your working for a company thats all you need however if you intend to be self employed then after the unrestricted license you have to do the Electrical contractor course thats about 14 x weeks x 1 night per week at tafe.

if your going to be self employed you need this contractors certificate so you can legally quote for work & also give out certificates of electrical safety to customers after all that you then have to get the work coming in.

You need to get you Trades Recognition to start with. Then once you have that you take 3 exams called LEA. Depending on what your Trades Recognition certificate is you then get a lisecense.

For instance I'm classed as a Electrical Mechanic here so once iv passed my exams I will be A Grade

your not wrong at all mate, once he has done ot all he shall have to also do the log book for 12 months

Many thanks to you both for this information. Next can anyone tell me where the best place to look for a job that is for a provisional licence holder.

I'm applying like mad for T/A jobs and unlicensed, but with no luck! my resume is very strong but I'm finding that its who you know over here and not what you know.

I am at present open to suggestions and can travel pretty much anywhere in AUS to effect my full licence.

can anyone help please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone wants to ask me questions about getting their A class through the vettasses, i am more than happy to answer.

Hi Drewe, I'm enquiring on my OH's behalf, is the process the same state wide? we're moving to Adelaide in March, he's done his Vetassess, now just researching next steps required when there, cheers Mandi

If anyone wants to ask me questions about getting their A class through the vettasses, i am more than happy to answer.

Hi Drewe, I'm enquiring on my OH's behalf, is the process the same state wide? we're moving to Adelaide in March, he's done his Vetassess, now just researching next steps required when there, cheers Mandi

I can't give exact process for Adelaide. I done mine in Perth. I'm sure it's similar.

Get restricted licence from from electrical board ( mine was energy safety)

Enrol at college to start change over course

Get employed

2 weeks college with practical exam and paper exam

Complete 12 assignments at home

Complete log book (roughly 6-8 months work experience, quicker if more hours worked)

Tele/coms course 4 days with practical exam and paper exam

Capstone course 4 days ( pretty much AM2 )

once all all the above is completed you can get an A class licence. I'd say with the time off work this cost me roughly $15,000

Tough one. Basically i was the in the guinea pig group to do this new system. So when I got a restricted license companies were scared off, they thought they had to baby sit you. This is not the case, a restricted license entitles you to work unsupervised but companies had the impression that you had to be. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend employ and help me out. I think companies are coming to grips with the new process and taking people on. When i started the first stage of college half my class were not employed, they were applying to every thing but was getting no luck. Some on the other hand found work within wks of being here. So its a hard one to call until you're here applying for work. I think they should change the name from restricted license to overseas electrician, that will stop the confusion. I'm not going to say come over and work will be handed on a plate, the first yr is tough. Most companies pay about $25 an hour to restricted sparks.

Thanks for your input. It sounds like a bit like here in reverse where people did a "part p" course and called themselves electricians.

I guess as time passes the employers will get to grips with it.

Are you looking to do your contractor course to work self employed or to start a business and employ others?

That would be my aim if coming across.

Doing it so i can go into business with a building firm and so i can sign any work off. Energy safety like to dish out fines so you have to be careful. The only work you're allowed to sign off as an A class spark is work on your own house or immediate family. I heard a story that a fella put an Ad on gumtree to do electrical work, had his A class but not contractors. any way energy safety caught him and fined him 6K.

HI all

I have just sat my Electrical contractors license for WA. I have completed the maxium demand assignment and recieved it back with some small errors i have to fix up.

there are a couple of things i don't understand what i have done wrong and i cant read all his writing or abrevations he's used. when i rang the tutor so they explain where i went wrong the reception basicly said if i dont understand i would have to sit the course again.

I understand the course perfectly well, i just don't understand the problem he has with the assigment i presented and his abbrevations . Has any1 got a copy of their old assingment they could please send me so i can see where i have gone wrong. It would be a life saver

Thank you for any help it would be much appreciated

Ok so I have been through fixed up and completed all the maximum demand which I am happy is all correct. On my layout drawing the tutor has marked it down as unsafe. I have been through to see if it's something I missed but it looks fine.

The instructions are ridiculous and soo vague.

I'm not trying to get someone's papers so I can use their assignment because I have already spent hours and hours with what I have which I am happy with I just want to know if there's something I missed. I am happy to send you what I have if you are willing to help

thanks all I appreciate any guidance.

Ok so I have been through fixed up and completed all the maximum demand which I am happy is all correct. On my layout drawing the tutor has marked it down as unsafe. I have been through to see if it's something I missed but it looks fine.

The instructions are ridiculous and soo vague.

I'm not trying to get someone's papers so I can use their assignment because I have already spent hours and hours with what I have which I am happy with I just want to know if there's something I missed. I am happy to send you what I have if you are willing to help

thanks all I appreciate any guidance.

check ya inbox