Guest James.S

So if I come on my wifes visa I dont have to do the log book training?

can anyone post a link to the relevant course at the tate college I can never seem to find them

thanks

http://www.cet.asn.au/Courses/ElectricalTrade.aspx its the electrical licensing course but someone posted on another forum that it changed and everyone has to do the gap training now and that people are doing that course and turning up at energy safety and being knocked back for licenses. I don't know for sure but it is meant to be changing to gap training for all which it really should be as i don't see why a 23 year old backpacker should get a license easier than someone with 20 years experience.

What you want to know fitnesstasha?

Its a meaty one!!! only if someone doesnt mind ......

•  

• Hello!

Im a fairly newly qualified electrician , have been qualified now for 3 years...after looking through the paperwork vetesses have sent with regards to what i'll be expected to cover, i wonder if someone could give me examples of what they think, in laymans terms it could be

electrical installation work

• install wiring and accessories for low voltage circuis

• instal high voltage electrical apparatus and associated equipment

• fix and secure equipment

• dismantle assesmble and fabricate electrotechnology components

Electrical control, fault finding and repair

•  

• lay winning and terminate accsesories for extra low voltage circuits

Blog this Post

[*]

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[*]28-03-2013, 08:31 PM

TitleSenior Member

Join DateFeb 2009

LocationBristol, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Posts107

Liked29 times

Repreputation_pos.png

im_aim.gif

develop and connect control circuits

find and repair faults in electrical apparatus

solve problems in xtra low voltage single path cicuits

solve problems in multiple path DC circuits

solve problems in electromagnetic circuits

solve problems in single and three phase voltage circuits

install and set up transducers and sensing device

develop enter and verify programable logiccontrollers using ladders instruction

enter and verify operating instructions in microprocessor equipped devices

find and rectify faults in energy supply network equipment

Blog this Post

[*]28-03-2013, 08:32 PM

TitleSenior Member

Join DateFeb 2009

LocationBristol, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Posts107

Liked29 times

Repreputation_pos.png

im_aim.gif

phew!!!!!! I have an idea of some...but some of them have foxed me!! any help greatly appreciated

Cheers mate

ts a meaty one!!! only if someone doesnt mind ......

• Hello!

Im a fairly newly qualified electrician , have been qualified now for 3 years...after looking through the paperwork vetesses have sent with regards to what i'll be expected to cover, i wonder if someone could give me examples of what they think, in laymans terms it could be

electrical installation work

• install wiring and accessories for low voltage circuis
    • instal high voltage electrical apparatus and associated equipment

• fix and secure equipment

• dismantle assesmble and fabricate electrotechnology components

• lay winning and terminate accsesories for extra low voltage circuit

[*]

develop and connect control circuits

find and repair faults in electrical apparatus

solve problems in xtra low voltage single path cicuits

solve problems in multiple path DC circuits

solve problems in electromagnetic circuits

solve problems in single and three phase voltage circuits

install and set up transducers and sensing device

develop enter and verify programable logiccontrollers using ladders instruction

enter and verify operating instructions in microprocessor equipped devices

find and rectify faults in energy supply network equipment

[*]

phew!!!!!! I have an idea of some...but some of them have foxed me!! any help greatly appreciated

Cheers mate

Its very simple tbh and a lot easier than the trade test you done 3 years ago.

Here is a couple of links from another forum that details what is involved

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776520

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667546

Just had a look at those links , and they are really helpful! we are just a lil stressed over it I think, as he is newly qualified (3 yrs) and will be asked to do things he hasnt even done yet!

• 2 weeks later...
Gaining wa electrical licence

Hi all , sorry to jump in but just wondering can anyone help with the process of gaining an electrical licence for western Oz , my hubby was born in Oz but has lived in UK since the age of 1 , so he has dual citizenship therefore doesn't need a visa. As far as he can make out he needs to sit a theory and practical exam (artc) we have heard this can be done in UK as long as u can provide an Oz address (friend) , then once this has been achieved you need to do a short college course once in Oz to do their regs exam. He has only been qualified for a year so don't know if this will hinder his chances of gaining his licence (do you need so many years experience) can anyone please tell me if he is anywhere near correct in thinking this is how it's done ??? Any replies would be much appreciated

Quick intro, I'm a sparky who's lived here in WA for over 9 years and holds a WA "A" grade license, Contractors license and Open data license. I don't believe dual citizenship will have any bearing on getting a license. When I started on the road to emigration, I had to get my trade recognised by TRA, once completed they would only send the cert to an Australian address, which is where your friend might come in handy.

Once I had the TRA cert (Electrical Mechanic), I had the option of doing a 5hr practical exam and then a multi-choice rules and regs exam, or night school for 3 months. I did the former.

The Office of Energy will be your best source of info, as it is they they issue your license. The last bulletin, I got from them stated something along the lines of having to serve approx 1 year with an Australian company to get experience, before issuing a license.

Here's a link they may help.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/SkillsAssessment/TradesRecognitionAustralia/AustralianRecognisedTradeCertificate/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by Suspect Device

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any ideas of the electrician (special class) skills assessment?

I have the relevant supporting paper work (apprenticeship, work on industrial printing machines). But I have never worked on domestic wiring or building sites.

I am unsure whether I will have to do a technical interview or practical assessment. I say this because the practical assessment is mainly "general" work i.e. house wiring and I have no clue about that and will surely fail.

Any input that would put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash.

Hi lads

i just done my electrical licence exam in dublin last week trough future skills, i tau i got the grade a licence straight away but i heard its called offshore technical skills record... Does anyone know what i have to do next? Im landing in oz in aug.. Will it take long after i land to get my licence or will i have it before i go?

Any help would be great cheers

Hi lads

i just done my electrical licence exam in dublin last week trough future skills, i tau i got the grade a licence straight away but i heard its called offshore technical skills record... Does anyone know what i have to do next? Im landing in oz in aug.. Will it take long after i land to get my licence or will i have it before i go?

Any help would be great cheers

I think you have to do a 2 week course when you get here ($2000) then be an apprentice for a year filling in a log book then you sit a final exam.

What do you mean by sponsored? If you have done vetassess you should have PR? Anyways you will apply to energy safety to get your provisional license, got to college for 2 weeks, try to find a job then fill out a log book , do homework that you have to pass at 100% then trade test and a commas test also. Good luck as it is a bloody nightmare tbh

Cheers i looked a bit up on it so kinda have the jist now

does anyone know if ill still get sponsored handy enough? Any things to do before i go over to try get sponsor sorted?

Hi

ive just done the 2 week course with 11 other guys. This is the electrical licensing course required to get a A grade unrestricted licence that col mac is talking about. There's a lot to do in regard to assignments after the course there is an additional comms course (another 4 days off work) a 1000 hour log book and then you have to come back and do more exams. A lot of the lads that were doing the course were sponsored or on working holiday. There's just no point doing it if your on a working holiday, by the time you ve finished it you will be going home. As for getting sponsored, that's getting harder as the government are now clamping down on 457 visas. There's adverts all over TV from the union ranting on about mining companies bringing in foreign workers when there are thousands and thousands Aussies that can do the same job! I work on the mines and in my opinion there's no skills shortage, it's purely down to the system in WA that takes around 4-6 weeks for you to get on site. Most lads on this course that are working local are earning around $20-25 and hour not doing more than 40 hours a week. That's around a $1000 a week. Your weekly rent in a half decent suburb is around $500 a week your food shop is around $200.

Sorry for being negative folks but life's tough here. This licensing crap is just making it harder.

Have to agree with you, I've always beat the drum about coming all this way and earning 1000 bucks a week. You have to take your tax off that as well . In my opinion it cost a 1000 a week to live In perth. Even if your on 35 an hour as an A grade it's only another 400 a week ( before deductions) . So 1400 a week as an A grade will only clear about 1100 weekly.I know the uk's still in a pickle and right now your fine more chance to find work here but the sacrifices we pay by being so far away from loved ones is it all worth it for the sake of having 200 dollars left at the end of the week....? If your on one wage that's all your have left and find yourself surviving here and not living.. Just my opinion

Edited by paul1977

I seen on another forum a guy with his A grade getting $27 and have met people here who get $30. There are decent paying jobs but they are very hard to get when you have to do gap training. I posted on another thread that if you are the type of spark who has worked for agencies and moved companies a lot then its not too bad but if you are higher up the ladder in the UK or work for a good company you will find it hard here as you will be back down the bottom again.

I think Colin the good times are coming to an end, we had a union meeting this week and they are saying the smaller firms who pay 30-35 an hour are getting bigger and bigger and are now able to undercut the bigger EBA firms. The bigger firms are now struggling to get work because our rate is that much higher, the new EBA will start to get negotiated next year with a proposal for us now to have a two tier payment, on jobs under a certain value to be paid a tier 2 hourly rate ( ie 35 ) and bigger contracts a tier 1 payment. Our hourly rate will be just under 48 by the time our current agreement is up. So personally I think the gravey train is slowing up and lower wages will become the norm. The big firms are starting to struggle now

The problem really lies with so many people accepting lower wages to begin with. I am somewhere in the middle at the moment which considering i have a provisional license i can't complain. Is your company looking for any sparks lol? i have my A grade soon and i am a union member and have been running industrial projects for my current company

Electrician in Australia. Helpful advice please! Can anyone help clarify the rules for a recent electrician immigrant to NSW?

As a qualified electrician (UK) with a Vetasses certificate I’ve been told that I need to change my qualification over to an Australian qualification. To do this I need to sit another course and understood I could do this in 2 ways- by sitting a standard 2 day a week course for a period of about 6 months or doing the same course as a ‘fast track’ course lasting about 2 weeks.

Apparently as a Vetasse certificate holder the fast track course is closed to me. Can anyone tell me who can clarify the rules and whether there are any other options open to me?

Thanks everyone for your time.

Bath Spark, try this link to make an enquiry with NSW licensing people:

https://www.cas.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/icms-public/complaint/registration/newComplaint.sjsp?complaintType=enquiry

Has anyone originally from the UK recently obtained an electrical license or a provisional electrical license by any route TRA OTSR or RPL without having done an apprentiship ? Is there this kind of route for a person with substantial electrical experience that someone has followed successfully ? The TRA and OTSR application forms both have sections where they seem to allow applications from people who have not followed a formal training path. Has anyone been sucessful with this or has anyone been successful with RPL ?

Electrician in Australia. Helpful advice please! Can anyone help clarify the rules for a recent electrician immigrant to NSW?

As a qualified electrician (UK) with a Vetasses certificate I’ve been told that I need to change my qualification over to an Australian qualification. To do this I need to sit another course and understood I could do this in 2 ways- by sitting a standard 2 day a week course for a period of about 6 months or doing the same course as a ‘fast track’ course lasting about 2 weeks.

Apparently as a Vetasse certificate holder the fast track course is closed to me. Can anyone tell me who can clarify the rules and whether there are any other options open to me?

Thanks everyone for your time.

I think you can do the peer in SA loophole with an OSTR and transfer the license to NSW but most other states wont accept the license. Google them and contact them as they should be able to tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bath Spark

I went over to Sydney with my VETASSESS OTSR and got a provisional license from the NSW Office of Fair Trading. I then worked for a contracting company on their unlicensed electrician rate.

The enquiries I made into the licensing arrangments led me to Ultimo TAFE as the only branch of TAFE registered to carry out a course specifically for VETASSESS immigrants. In 2012 it was $1800, Monday and Tuesday, 1800-2100, for 18 weeks.

Then while you are working you have to fill in a learners portfolio, logging approximately 1000 hours of varied on the job training.

To be honest, I gave up, there was no way I was going house bashing and cable pulling again after 11 years on the rigs!!

I'm back on the rigs now, in foreign waters and not needing a license!!

I think you can do the peer in SA loophole with an OTSR and transfer the license to NSW but most other states wont accept the license. Google them and contact them as they should be able to tell you.

Hi Colin,

Can you elaborate a little about this PEER loophole.

I'm in exactly the same boat having arrived in Adelaide from South Africa with a Vetassess OTSR. I however have an offer from a company who offered to pay for my AS/NZS Wiring Course at PEER VEET (which they are convinced will get me my SA license).

The more I explain that I need Gap training, the less it seems they want to hear me.

Now that I've seen your post, I feel they possibly know about this "loophole" and I just want to be on the same page.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ray