Guest James.S

Just feel like asking the same questions as before to see if any of the information has changed since the last time.

I know this:

To get an independant permanent residency visa, I required a VETASSESS assessment, granting me an OTSR (Offshore Technical Skills Record).

Arriving in NSW, this OTSR allowed me to get a provisional tradespersons certificate.

To upgrade this to a full license, I need to complete Gap Training and a log book of work experience.

The Gap Training can be carried out in Ultimo TAFE, Mondays and Tuesdays, 1700-2100 for 18 weeks at a cost of roughly $2200

The Gap training can also be carried out at PEER in SA in 10 days, for a cost of $1800.

I learned all of this during my time in Australia between November 2011 and May 2012, during which time I worked for a contracting company in Sydney.

I didn't complete any of the licensing requirements though because I was happily employed (and only being paid $1p/h less) as an unlicensed electrician on an EBA contract.

Left Australia for a while to tie some things up back home and returning in July. I still want a license as I cannot get on the Australian Oil Rigs as an electrician without one - hopefully they will take me as a process technician, but that is another story.

I am still aware that I need gap training and a log book to upgrade my OTSR to an Australian Certificate III - then I can get a license...........however, I won't be working in Australia, I'll be in Angola!!!

This leads me to the ARTC question - can I get one? Is so, how?

Will an ARTC plus a wiring regs course get me an SA license?

Again - the internet is awash with outdated and conflicting information! Does anybody have any RECENT experiences?

I'll keep you all updated with anything I else I find out.

Just found this, which kind of answers my question:

[h=1]Clarification of ARTC Requirements for OTSR Holders[/h]

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) who have not completed their Australian context training and period of supervised employment requirements are not eligible to apply for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.

For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee that the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements.

The Central Committee has advised the Local Committees must refuse to grant an ARTC if OTSR requirements have not been met as this is evidence that the applicant has insufficient trade training and experience to perform their nominated trade/s in Australia.

Where a Local Committee refuses to grant an ARTC on these grounds or any other grounds, no fees will be refunded.

ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements by providing a copy of their Certificate III with their ARTC application.

Information on completing your OTSR requirements is available on the Licensing page.

Can anyone help???

At the moment i am on a 457 visa and i have got a ARTC certificate and i am attending VIC Tafe to do my LEA course next week which in turn will give me my unrestricted licence in Vic.

My question is, I now want to apply for a 190 visa which requires me to do a trade assessment with Vetassess which i think is crazy. I know the ARTC is not for migration proposes but i think an A grade licence should cover my skills as i am legally allowed to wire anything in Australia. Also do you think i could get TRA to assess me again but this time for migration purposes as it states in the guidelines that they can do this as.

I need the 10 points for my trade to get me up to 65 points before i can apply my EOI

Someone posted on another forum that they got an ARTC and done the 1 week course in WA despite having an OSTR but i also read what you have posted and it sounded a bit risky to me as if they enforce that you can end up with nothing. I think Peer in SA might run a similar course to the ARTC one for OSTR, as far as i am aware the only state that will accept the license unless you have held it for over a year currenty is NSW but if you are in Angola it wont matter!

Hi all,

I havent posted in a while.

Has anyone recently been through the new process to get an A Grade licence?

Reading the posts on here its seems at minefield that I'm surprised any UK electricians actually end up going?

We have two options for migration purposes,

1st come across on my Electrical qualifications or

2nd migrate on my wife's nursing qualifications.

If we come across on my wife's qualifications is it easier for myself to get the A-grade licence?

If we come across on mine, what is the true route you have to follow?

I understand VETASSES etc its the minefield in Australia that no one seems clear about.

we are looking at New south wales or Perth. It really depends on where we will both get work and whos visa we come across on.

Thanks in advance

James

Hi all,

I havent posted in a while.

Has anyone recently been through the new process to get an A Grade licence?

Reading the posts on here its seems at minefield that I'm surprised any UK electricians actually end up going?

We have two options for migration purposes,

1st come across on my Electrical qualifications or

2nd migrate on my wife's nursing qualifications.

If we come across on my wife's qualifications is it easier for myself to get the A-grade licence?

If we come across on mine, what is the true route you have to follow?

I understand VETASSES etc its the minefield in Australia that no one seems clear about.

we are looking at New south wales or Perth. It really depends on where we will both get work and whos visa we come across on.

Thanks in advance

James

If you can come over for a month on a working holiday visa, do the 2 week course , no need for a years gap training. Return to the UK with an A class licence then com over on th misses visa. Simple

If you can come over for a month on a working holiday visa, do the 2 week course , no need for a years gap training. Return to the UK with an A class licence then com over on th misses visa. Simple

Not so simple if you are over 30, as visa restriction is 18-30 years only. But, is the course classed as work?? Can you carry this out whilst actually on a holiday?

could you just go on holiday for a month and do the course?

He cant get a WHV as he is over 30. And you can only apply for an ARTC when you reside in Australia so its still around 3 months total. Best to come on your wife's visa as the gap training really can take around 18 months by the time you get your test booked etc and you also have to do a comms test as well. I was on the first class last September and have averaged at least 50 hrs a week for the log book and if i am lucky i will be complete and licensed by June. If i am not it will be September. So on that basis if i worked 38 hrs a week it would take over a year as its not just filling the log book its time to book tests and then actually receive your license. Also doing homework and overtime to finish your logbook quicker while trying to settle in a new country with a young family is not really ideal.

He cant get a WHV as he is over 30. And you can only apply for an ARTC when you reside in Australia so its still around 3 months total. Best to come on your wife's visa as the gap training really can take around 18 months by the time you get your test booked etc and you also have to do a comms test as well. I was on the first class last September and have averaged at least 50 hrs a week for the log book and if i am lucky i will be complete and licensed by June. If i am not it will be September. So on that basis if i worked 38 hrs a week it would take over a year as its not just filling the log book its time to book tests and then actually receive your license. Also doing homework and overtime to finish your logbook quicker while trying to settle in a new country with a young family is not really ideal.

All that and then have to greatly lower your standards when you hold your lashing licence . An insult to British sparks

Retraining to learn nothing new except what you may have forgotten from college and then be working to a standard you have only seen in jobs you stripped out. Oh the irony. The best bit is that the Wiring rules have been copied from the UK regulations as the book is laid out almost identical! I am doing industrial work which is not too bad but commercial is nothing like the Uk and domestic is really what was installed in the UK in the 60s but with RCD's!

Hi

If anyone can help out i would be most greatful. Im Starting my gap training at polytechnic on the 8th of april, and just wondered if anybody knows where i can get the printed version of the aus/nz 2000 regs or or perhaps an unwanted copy that anyone has to buy or borrow?

Many thanks

Yes in the library at polytechic west south central LA, oops i mean Balga. Its not hard its just the stuff you would have done at college before. Homework was the biggest pain in the ass for me as i work overtime to complete the logbook quicker and have 2 young kids as well. I just really need to do the Capstone and a comms test now and then i will get my license so hopefully a couple of months left.

Gaining wa electrical licence

Hi all , sorry to jump in but just wondering can anyone help with the process of gaining an electrical licence for western Oz , my hubby was born in Oz but has lived in UK since the age of 1 , so he has dual citizenship therefore doesn't need a visa. As far as he can make out he needs to sit a theory and practical exam (artc) we have heard this can be done in UK as long as u can provide an Oz address (friend) , then once this has been achieved you need to do a short college course once in Oz to do their regs exam. He has only been qualified for a year so don't know if this will hinder his chances of gaining his licence (do you need so many years experience) can anyone please tell me if he is anywhere near correct in thinking this is how it's done ??? Any replies would be much appreciated

Gaining wa electrical licence

Hi all , sorry to jump in but just wondering can anyone help with the process of gaining an electrical licence for western Oz , my hubby was born in Oz but has lived in UK since the age of 1 , so he has dual citizenship therefore doesn't need a visa. As far as he can make out he needs to sit a theory and practical exam (artc) we have heard this can be done in UK as long as u can provide an Oz address (friend) , then once this has been achieved you need to do a short college course once in Oz to do their regs exam. He has only been qualified for a year so don't know if this will hinder his chances of gaining his licence (do you need so many years experience) can anyone please tell me if he is anywhere near correct in thinking this is how it's done ??? Any replies would be much appreciated

Hi there,

With an ARTC you only have to provide as much documentary proof as possible ie certificates, detailed job references etc. It does not require a trade test unless they feel that you have not provided enough evidence to prove that you a trained electrician.

If he has served a formal apprenticeship then everything should be fine. If not, then he will have prove at least 7 years experience in the trade. You will have to be residing in Australia to apply for one. You used to be able to apply for one from overseas (I did) but this was changed some time ago.

Once he has the ARTC (and this could take anything up to 4 months to process depending on their workload) then he will be able to undertake gap training. Up until several months ago it was possible to gain a full WA licence after completing a 2 week course. It now appears (and it's still not clear what is required) that all overseas trained sparks are required to complete 12 months on the job gap training and fill in a log book. Hopefully, someone can clarify but you might want to contact Energy Safety in WA as they issue the licences.

The quickest way to get any sort of licence is to go to PEER in Adelaide, get a SA licence after a short course and then apply for a WA licence under mutual recognition, but these loopholes and short cuts may well be closed. I'm in QLD and I had to fill in a log book for 4 months, study in my own time (not easy with 3 young children and my wife working shifts) and find a job to fill in the log book (not easy to find a job in QLD right now, with or without a full licence).

Best of luck

Regards Derren

So if I come on my wifes visa I dont have to do the log book training?

can anyone post a link to the relevant course at the tate college I can never seem to find them

thanks