Guest James.S

I've just received email from WA Energy licensing answering my query about transferring license from SA and they haven't mentioned anything about the necessity to hold the license for at least 1 year. They've just sent me a link to pdf application form. Who gave you guys the info that they don't recognize "fresh" SA license?

I have been told this by lecturers at tafe and have heard of people being rejected. By all means try it but remember they are not going to state it when you ask for a form especially as people transfer licenses between states all the time not just overseas sparkies. Best thing to do is call energy safety and ask them.

colinmaclec,

just a small question Col, I'm on the 9th assignment now and only just started filling in the log book. The log book can be back dated to September when I arrived thank god,so should be done in the next few weeks, but do you get one last assignment once you complete the first 9? Its hard frikkin work with the kids running round!!

​Also, did you have to wait long for the capstone exam?

ARTC for getting provisional certificate worthless in NSW?

I went with my fresh ARTC from TRA to Fair trading in Sydney thinking that if I fill in the form a wait a couple of weeks I would get a restricted license. However, to my shock, an officer told me that I need Off-shore technical skills record for that purpose. ARTC is supposed to serve for Tafe to be enrolled to 1 year gap training.

Did I screw something up again? I thought that if I was assessed for migration purpose by TRA, I should have applied for ARTC if I wanted to carry on in my effort to get eventually my license.

Or is the office giving me misleading info I should lodge my application regardless of what he says?

colinmaclec, just a small question Col, I'm on the 9th assignment now and only just started filling in the log book. The log book can be back dated to September when I arrived thank god,so should be done in the next few weeks, but do you get one last assignment once you complete the first 9? Its hard frikkin work with the kids running round!! ​Also, did you have to wait long for the capstone exam?

Yes you get a maximum demand and cable selection project. It took me 2 months to get a date for the capstone and then i found out i have to wait 2 months to get the comms course done and they also give you homework for the comms course to be done before you attend that too.And no doubtIi will still end up waiting to get my license after all that. Yeah it sucks big time doing this **** when you have kids.

ARTC for getting provisional certificate worthless in NSW?

I went with my fresh ARTC from TRA to Fair trading in Sydney thinking that if I fill in the form a wait a couple of weeks I would get a restricted license. However, to my shock, an officer told me that I need Off-shore technical skills record for that purpose. ARTC is supposed to serve for Tafe to be enrolled to 1 year gap training.

Did I screw something up again? I thought that if I was assessed for migration purpose by TRA, I should have applied for ARTC if I wanted to carry on in my effort to get eventually my license.

Or is the office giving me misleading info I should lodge my application regardless of what he says?

Your question makes no sense? ARTC or OSTR you do 1 years gap training with a provisional license

Your question makes no sense? ARTC or OSTR you do 1 years gap training with a provisional license
I'm aware of that and I'm "happy" with that. What I'm saying is that they told me that I don't even get the provisional one despite of having ARTC now. I was told to go to do gap training and that I'm not even entitled to get provisional license (work under supervision, TA) during the gap training.

You have to have a provisional license to do the gap training so just apply
Eh, sorry for being so persistent but the officer wasn't even able to tell me if I should tick off Qualified supervisor license or Tradesperson certificate (I'm talking about a form from NSW fair trading). I guess the Tradesperson is for provisional license, isn't it?

Edit: the problem is that if you have a look at this link, it says:

"Any applicant under the Program who is issued with an Off-Shore Technical Skills Record in the relevant trade from VETASSESS or Victoria University, is eligible to be granted a provisional tradesperson certificate in the following..."

Not a single word about ARTC...

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tradespeople/Home_building_licensing/Applying_for_a_licence_or_certificate/Overseas_trained_applicants.html

Edited by jimcz

Hi All,

Just looking for a little advise....

I have a PR Visa which was issued back in 2007 and have been living in the uk since activating it. I have now received a RRV PR visa and now plan to go back to OZ to live.

I got my PR visa via the TRA route and have been classed as a General Electrician 4311-11.

I phoned Peer last night and they have advised me that I need a green certificate from ARTC to proceed with there training.

I was wondering if this is correct as I have already been approved by the TRA or do I still need to apply for a ARTC when I get to OZ.

I am a little confused as all the posts refer to VETASESS route.

Do you need to provide all the info again to the ARTC or is there another option.

Thanks for any help.....

Things have changed so much since my OH got his licence so I cant really help with what to do, but as you already have a visa I don't think you need to go through vettassess, they assess for migration purposes not licencing. You will still need an ARTC. That used to be almost the same as applying to the TRA (before vettassess) but with even more information.

AUS standard books wanted - AS/NZS 3000, AS/NZS 3012, AS/NZS 3008 & AS/NZS 3017, ETSA Utilities

I’m going to need these books for my course and exams. Does anybody have any tip where to get them for a reasonable price? Any recommendation highly appreciated.

Hi,

Can an electrican help me with an enquiry concerning RCDs in commercial buildings?

I’m specifically looking for legislation or Australian Standards which states the frequency of testing requirements at the distribution board.

I have been told that AS 3745 covers this but believe that this is for portable equipment.

Australian and New Zealand wiring rules (AS3000) do not specify the frequency of testing.

Thanks,

Well seeing as you don't actually have to test an RCD here for trip times, a push of the test button complies and there is no requirement for periodic testing i would say there is none. There will be some requirements for certain buildings such as schools etc. What kind of commercial building is it?

​Hi guys, I would like to apply for the skills assessment (TRA) but I have some doubts about the application.

I would like to apply as Electrician (special Class) 34112, I did my courses and experiences in the Italian Army that I served for over 14 years as Electronic Technician and I have all necessary documents to prove that (certificate from my Commander with the description of my duties, special equipment training course certificate, payslips etc).

Do you think it's enough to permit me to do the application even if I didn't attend a civilian Vocational course?

Is there someone that can give me some tips please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi David,

There is a requirement to have RCDs inspected within the scope of the AS/NZS 3760:2010which also applies to portable equipment. In a normal office environment then they should be tested for trip times every 2 years and every 6 months for the integral test button.

The following link should help : www.tagteamaustralia.com/appliance-test-tag/

Regards Derren

Hi derren,

Thanks for the clarification. Now I need to work on a strategy to get the building occupants to do the six-monthly trip test with the sparky coming in every two years. I'm heading for a world of pain:arghh:

I take it there is no requirement by law to thermo scan boards?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone my name is Dave I'm 27, I have just moved to the Gold Coast from Southampton with my partner on a spouses visa. I am a fully qualified UK electrician. I was just wondering if there is anyone who knows of any electrical TA jobs going while i complete the necessary courses to become an oz sparky.

I have been here 2 weeks and enjoying the life so far, but need to get in to the real world and get a job, its not cheap when you aren't earning :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi everyone my name is Dave I'm 27, I have just moved to the Gold Coast from Southampton with my partner on a spouses visa. I am a fully qualified UK electrician. I was just wondering if there is anyone who knows of any electrical TA jobs going while i complete the necessary courses to become an oz sparky.

I have been here 2 weeks and enjoying the life so far, but need to get in to the real world and get a job, its not cheap when you aren't earning :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help

Gas is kicking of in your area. Apply for this. If you don't mind working 3 weeks on 1 week off. http://www.ecandm.com.au

you will be regarded as a better TA than others as you are an overseas electrician you will need your EWP licence and CPR

good luck

Hi All

I'm currently an electrician living and working in the UK and looking to get myself over to Oz and see what all the fuss is about :)

I'm most likely going to apply for a skilled holiday working visa and see how things pan out. I have completed my tradeSET self assessment and now looking at getting booked on a skills assessment. Any recommendations on which RTO to go for? From what I can tell Future Skills is by far the cheapest but are they any good?

Also, any recommendations on best place to go? I was thinking Melbourne/Sydney.

Any feedback would be great :)