Guest James.S

Hi Colin,

Can you elaborate a little about this PEER loophole.

I'm in exactly the same boat having arrived in Adelaide from South Africa with a Vetassess OTSR. I however have an offer from a company who offered to pay for my AS/NZS Wiring Course at PEER VEET (which they are convinced will get me my SA license).

The more I explain that I need Gap training, the less it seems they want to hear me.

Now that I've seen your post, I feel they possibly know about this "loophole" and I just want to be on the same page.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ray

Contact PEER in Adelaide and speak to them they will be able to tell you

Guest richgreaney

Hello, i am a fully qualfied electrician working in the uk at the moment, i am looking at moving out to oz and using my trade, what is the easiest route and correct visa to apply for,

Well it depends on wether you want to emigrate or come on a WHV if you are under 31? Working as a sparky over here is becoming increasingly difficult as you can read over the previous pages. If you have a good job in the UK i would say don't bother as you will be living on the breadline over here.

Hi,

If anyone on here can clarify my situation on here it would be appreciated.

I have read all the pages on this thread and find it hard to believe how difficult it is for UK sparks to get their A grade.

Basically I am here on a WHV and am led to believe that if I manage to get an ARTC Certificate from the TRA I can go on the two week course and obtain my A grade straight away. Time is running out before my Visa ends and am wondering wether getting my ARTC is worth it. If I have this it will be easy to apply for PR when I get back to the UK as they have changed the process and will give you PR on a skilled visa that is free if you have a ARTC.

The whole process seems crazy, and unfair for someone who is not on a WHV. That is why I am finding it hard to believe. can someone please clarify.

Thanks

Hi,

I have read all the pages on this thread and find it hard to believe how difficult it is for UK sparks to get their A grade.

Basically I am here on a WHV and am led to believe that if I manage to get an ARTC Certificate from the TRA I can go on the two week course and obtain my A grade straight away. Time is running out before my Visa ends and am wondering wether getting my ARTC is worth it. If I have this it will be easy to apply for PR when I get back to the UK as they have changed the process and will give you PR on a skilled visa that is free if you have a ARTC.

The whole process seems crazy, and unfair for someone who is not on a WHV. That is why I am finding it hard to believe. can someone please clarify.

Thanks

i think you have to do a years gap training as well, do your self a favour and enjoy the rest of your time here, don't bother about an A grade, it's a waste of time and too much money. If you have a job to go to in the UK then take it as you won't be much better off here unless your very lucky and land a job on a EBA firm. Just being honest .

Hi,

Thanks

I don't know where you got that information from but it is sooo wrong! You will not get a PR visa just because you have an ARTC, you will have to go throught the same process as everyone else.

Of course I know that but what I am saying is I dont think I have to go Vetasses route. Can apply for PR as I have an ARTC then do two week course when I come on PR then Get given an A grade. think this may be a loophole.

Everyone does 1 year gap training now. And if you apply for PR after even with an A grade license you still need to do a vetassess exam as it is for migration points.

As I already tried to tell him he will have to go through the same application for PR as everyone else.

Ok thats all clear to me, but what I am getting at is is it worth my while getting a TRA while I am here. From what I am reading on the Australian Gov website if I apply for the new 189 Visa from England they only require that I have a TRA cert which I can obtain while here on m WHV? I know things aren't great in Oz at he moment but having the option of PR is great and my partner can obtain a good job in Oz adwell so its not like we we struggle on the one wage. No kids aswell so it seems a good time to get set up.

Ok thats all clear to me, but what I am getting at is is it worth my while getting a TRA while I am here. From what I am reading on the Australian Gov website if I apply for the new 189 Visa from England they only require that I have a TRA cert which I can obtain while here on m WHV? I know things aren't great in Oz at he moment but having the option of PR is great and my partner can obtain a good job in Oz adwell so its not like we we struggle on the one wage. No kids aswell so it seems a good time to get set up.

So on for this visa I need 60 points and I score over 60 easily, you guys need to check out this 189 visa, they have only just bough it in.

Everyone does 1 year gap training now. And if you apply for PR after even with an A grade license you still need to do a vetassess exam as it is for migration points.

Everyone? I hope there's still the shortcut through PEER in SA available. I've been unsuccessfully looking for a professional job for 8 weeks and now my only hope is to fly to Adelaide and try to get the license there after I get ARTC from TRA.

Edited by jimcz

Everyone? I hope there's still the shortcut through PEER in SA available. I've been unsuccessfully looking for a professional job for 8 weeks and now my only hope is to fly to Adelaide and try to get the license there after I get ARTC from TRA.

Well you can do the peer course and get a SA license. But most states wont accept you trying to transfer it until you have held it for 1 year. The only state that does from what i have heard is NSW.

Lol you don't like to listen do you? 189 visa is not new its the same as the old one we all hold! I shall explain s l o w l y . Vetassess is part of the TRA who test you for migration purposes and for previous work experience which you also need for points for your PR application. A TRA cert as you call it is an ARTC which is for recognition of overseas skills for those who reside in Australia. It will allow you to do gap training which takes a year to get your A license. I have met people who have A grade licenses that still had to do Vetassess exam! You will also need to pass an English test as well.

Hi everyone, Ive been following this thread for a while now, is it really doom and gloom for a UK Sparky to come and work in Australia?

If it is all doom and gloom why is the skill still on the wanted list?

I dont want to work in the mines im mainly an installation electrician for domestic and light commercial. I run a small NICEIC business (5 guys work for me) is there any need for electricians with this sort of experience?

The skills list is out of date i would say. I am not portraying doom and gloom only telling it like it is. Remember that I am meeting other electricians here in Australia who are having the same problems and thoughts as i post here. The reality is that you will apply for jobs like crazy and eventually get one most likely making switchboards in a workshop or on transportable's ( buildings that get sent to the mines) due to not having a license. You will get paid around $30 for these jobs which if you do a basic week will give you a take home pay of around $940. I have heard of people earning even less than this. The gap training is a huge expense as you will have to spend 4 weeks at TAFE in total as well as paying the fees. Your previous experience will count for nothing here and you go back to the bottom again. Even with a license most companys pay around $35. The union jobs are well paid but hard to get in to. I will have my license soon so that is where i am hoping to go.

Well you can do the peer course and get a SA license. But most states wont accept you trying to transfer it until you have held it for 1 year. The only state that does from what i have heard is NSW.

Yeah, I know about the fact that you can't transfer it anywhere else. But your note about NSW leads me to a (crazy) idea. What about transferring SA license to NSW and then you can transfer the new NSW license to any other state? Would it work? Or NSW license is also "banned" by other state? Or do all other states require the 1 year period?

BTW, I have to unfortunately confirm what you've written here. After 15 years of experience as a maintenance electrician (PLCs, VFDs, automation) the only job I can land here is making the bloody switchboards..

Edited by jimcz

The skills list is out of date i would say. I am not portraying doom and gloom only telling it like it is. Remember that I am meeting other electricians here in Australia who are having the same problems and thoughts as i post here. The reality is that you will apply for jobs like crazy and eventually get one most likely making switchboards in a workshop or on transportable's ( buildings that get sent to the mines) due to not having a license. You will get paid around $30 for these jobs which if you do a basic week will give you a take home pay of around $940. I have heard of people earning even less than this. The gap training is a huge expense as you will have to spend 4 weeks at TAFE in total as well as paying the fees. Your previous experience will count for nothing here and you go back to the bottom again. Even with a license most companys pay around $35. The union jobs are well paid but hard to get in to. I will have my license soon so that is where i am hoping to go.

How are you getting on wit the gap training?

​im booked for 2 week course end of June, what's in store after that?

How are you getting on wit the gap training?

​im booked for 2 week course end of June, what's in store after that?

I have sat and passed the capstone now but i have to wait to do the 4 day comms course next month as its the earliest i could get on it. I think they have only run 1 previously and wait for the numbers so i have been waiting 2 months for that. You will have homework to do and a project all to be passed at 100% then the 4 days comms test( another $200!!!) then the capstone.

Have you managed to find work yet?

I have sat and passed the capstone now but i have to wait to do the 4 day comms course next month as its the earliest i could get on it. I think they have only run 1 previously and wait for the numbers so i have been waiting 2 months for that. You will have homework to do and a project all to be passed at 100% then the 4 days comms test( another $200!!!) then the capstone.

Have you managed to find work yet?

What an absolute liberty

Edited by The Pom Queen
Language

Yup. Extract every penny they can from us. The college we go to is in Balga and its a shxthole. We are probably keeping the place open tbh. If i knew it was going to be like this i probably wouldn't have bothered. I earned good money in the UK and now here i earn a wage that covers the bills, spend loads of my free time doing homework and use my holidays up going to TAFE.

I've just received email from WA Energy licensing answering my query about transferring license from SA and they haven't mentioned anything about the necessity to hold the license for at least 1 year. They've just sent me a link to pdf application form. Who gave you guys the info that they don't recognize "fresh" SA license?

Edited by jimcz