Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I might bring my move home forward to end January - was going to be end February!! But last night the horrible neighbours had yet another 'party' (drinking session) - loud obnoxious rough Aussie voices, foul language and I heard my name mentioned (in a derogatory manner) a few times.... just about had as much as I can bear - it's OK saying "oh just ignore them" but that's rather hard when they are in such close proximity - tried closing windows and front door but could still hear them....luckily the lady who is buying my house rang this morning and I mentioned that I might be in a position to settle the sale earlier than the planned end Feb - she said she would be more than happy to bring the thing forward - also my mum is renovating her house in UK so that I can have my own living area and she said the builders have told her they will be finished much quicker than planned .... so all good....... am going to ring shipping company (have decided to go with OSS) and estate agent and solicitor tomorrow - I just want to go home NOW!!! - I am so unhappy and miserable here

Hi Fantasia,

Good luck with your move home - personally I completely see where you're coming from. I have only been here (Lake Macquarie, after starting in Wollongong - YUCK!) a few months, but I have already seen the light. I'm hopefully moving home in May, so on a personal level I'd love to hear more about OSS as I need to organise shipping.

I really feel for your situation and you're absolutely right....you cannot just ignore them! Keep your head down and focussed on your goal and you'll soon be home.

T

Guest London Girl

I am going home in January had the worst time tried for 2 years and cant do it no more. I have nowhere to go when I get there but at least I will be free of the pain I feel being here. This xmas was the worst no family nothing the friends I met here have not been genuine I lost myself here and I want to get my sanity back.

Good luck to all of you going home I know that australia is beautiful but thats it, the people the culture or rather lack of it. Have tried melbourne sydney and brisbane all the same feel like I have failed and am sad but know that another year of this place will send me mad.

take care

Guest Guest31881
I am going home in January had the worst time tried for 2 years and cant do it no more. I have nowhere to go when I get there but at least I will be free of the pain I feel being here. This xmas was the worst no family nothing the friends I met here have not been genuine I lost myself here and I want to get my sanity back.

Good luck to all of you going home I know that australia is beautiful but thats it, the people the culture or rather lack of it. Have tried melbourne sydney and brisbane all the same feel like I have failed and am sad but know that another year of this place will send me mad.

take care

Hi London Girl,

Good luck with your move back to the UK. You have not failed, Australia is not is not the perfect place for everyone. Dont look on Australia as a failure, at least in years to come you can say. I tried it, did not like it, but at least i tried.

Best wishes for the future....:notworthy:

I have found a lot of people who became so called friends during my time in Australia (14 years) to be insincere, fickle, two faced, shallow bunch of users - apart from one good friend I've made here - who is a New Zealander !

One friend I did make who included me in a lot of things just gave me impression that I was a 'novelty' factor 'cos I was a 'pom' and once said to me prior to being introduced to one of her friends "wasn't I going to put any make up on".........and when we went away for a few days - on checking into the apartment said "I only have one rule - no hairbrushes on the kitchen benchtop or dining table" - I was speechless - also got the impression a lot of Aussie women who I have met considered themselves superior to me 'cos they were born here- especially the ones who haven't really travelled out of Australia - they seem to think that us poms are second class ciitzens who live in two up two down tatty terraced houses with outside loos, freezing cold weather ALL YEAR and constantly soaked to the skin 'cos of thethe amount of rain we get.........and we are just so grateful to be here in Australia - fantastic beaches, wonderful shopping centres, warm sunny days, beautiful BIG houses (that are all front and resemble factory units if viewed from the rear in my view) - oh aren't I lucky to be out of that dreary old England........NO I AM NOT - I am just so relieved that I am going home soon - and can make friends with people from my own background and 'culture' with the same sense of humour, values etc. And before anyone jumps down my throat - I have obviously met some nice people over here - my partner of 10 years is Australian - unfortunately he won't be coming back with me..........!!!

Good luck, have had a pretty miserable Christmas myself with no family around, also have met some false friends but have also made some good ones. Am visiting the UK in January to see if I want to go back or not, but like you if i do go back i will have nothing as i sold my home to get here.

Hope everything works out for you x

Guest siamsusie

There are false people everywhere in the world. Taking your time and being selective always reaps benefits with friendships. Susie x

take care

Failed!??? FAILED!??? Two years ago you succeeded in moving to Australia, and now more importantly, you have succeeded in moving OUT of Australia....Well done Londongirl !

Tx

I feel sad for all of you who have had a hard time here in Australia must say we have never had a problem, friends, accent all those things just go with the flow with us. We have a core of very good friends and they would be our friends wherever we live and we would be theirs.

Its very hard when one wants to live here and the other does not and if there are children involved is extremely difficult.

We know people who returned to the UK my Mum was one of them and spent a couple of years there and then returned to Aus. She did it twice. Others also returned as they found they had changed a lot even though they did not notice it and no longer felt they fitted in over there.

Migration is difficult and it changes us all and really I have said this before you have to really really want a change in your life and a big change to do it.

I believe that some think it will be easy making friends and the posters are true, for some it is but there are a lot of us who are not that outgoing and it takes time and makes us miserable while we are waiting.

Good luck to you all that return I hope your dreams come true and you are very happy but remember we have to be happy ourselves, others cannot make us happy or places or countries, buck stops with us.

• 4 weeks later...

We've had enough after close on 2 years, too many friggin idiots around for my liking. Too many hoons, too many pissed up and aggresive retards, graffiti everywhere, general standards are low and the education sucks. I'm not sure if it's because we live SOR in Perth, but there seems to be an unbalance between retards and normal people, probably in the ratio of 99:1

Even the TV doesn't have a reasonable watershed, the language and content while the kids are around is awful, often have to switch it of until they've gone to bed.

What about the usless appliance plugs, one misplaced foot and it's all over, give me the good old British 3 pin foot agoniser any time!

Double glazing, yes please..

I talked to a guy at a park information centre, thought he was an ozzie but turns out he migrated here from London in the early 70's.

He asked me: what do you think of it here? you don't look too keen.

I said: I've lived on the Isle of Man most of my life, I'm not too keen at all.

He said: I can understand why you feel that way, I've been to the Isle of Man and I don't think I'd want to leave if that's where I'd come from, it's a wonderful place!

Yep, home for our family ain't in Australia, but at least we gave it a go.

Guest Clare Robinson

:nah:I get really worried reading some of these threads.

To be honest, I have not been on here for a while. I am all for having different points of view and people having their own opinions, but, there are people that are desperate to make a better/different and new life for themselves in Australia and have yet to experience this way of life. It has took me over a year to get my visa and I am one of the lucky ones, others may never get the opportunity and some may take years. I have friends that have been trying for years and still no joy. Therefore, I think constructive advice etc is fine but to frighten people with the decision they have made is not fair. As I have said everyone is entitled to their opinion, some people will stay and make a go of it and others will want to go home for whatever reason. If you are one of the people that has gone home, surely more research and time over there before making the leap would have been better?? If it was other reasons then they would be helpful for the unknowns to know but to just slag somewhere off without a good explanation is not fair on those who want to swap places with the opportunities that you have been given. If getting there and finding out it was not for you then that is fine and you are allowed to come back and no doubt pick up just where you left off, (it is no big deal!) I however whilst working really hard to try and get visas and others on here who are making it their lifes goal to get over to Oz and still have the reasons/memories at the forefront of their mind of why they are going and may never get there, do not appreciate the really negative and unhelpful things that are said on here.

Be happy to have been lucky enough to have had this wonderful experience, ok if it did not work move on and make a happy life wherever but try not to taint other peoples dreams, and good luck to those who are still trying.

Clare

To be honest, I have not been on here for a while. I am all for having different points of view and people having their own opinions, but, there are people that are desperate to make a better/different and new life for themselves in Australia and have yet to experience this way of life. It has took me over a year to get my visa and I am one of the lucky ones, others may never get the opportunity and some may take years. I have friends that have been trying for years and still no joy. Therefore, I think constructive advice etc is fine but to frighten people with the decision they have made is not fair. As I have said everyone is entitled to their opinion, some people will stay and make a go of it and others will want to go home for whatever reason. If you are one of the people that has gone home, surely more research and time over there before making the leap would have been better?? If it was other reasons then they would be helpful for the unknowns to know but to just slag somewhere off without a good explanation is not fair on those who want to swap places with the opportunities that you have been given. If getting there and finding out it was not for you then that is fine and you are allowed to come back and no doubt pick up just where you left off, (it is no big deal!) I however whilst working really hard to try and get visas and others on here who are making it their lifes goal to get over to Oz and still have the reasons/memories at the forefront of their mind of why they are going and may never get there, do not appreciate the really negative and unhelpful things that are said on here.

Be happy to have been lucky enough to have had this wonderful experience, ok if it did not work move on and make a happy life wherever but try not to taint other peoples dreams, and good luck to those who are still trying.

Clare

I think most folk who have made the decision to return are happy enough (i know i am, no moaning this end). If you know PIO well you will see that us that don't really accept Australia as the "lucky country" tend to kep on the CTF or "Going Home" forums and very rarely intrude on the "we love Australia" forums so I would have thought it would be quite simple to avoid the points of view that you find so distasteful.

I hope i haven't tainted your dream:wubclub:

Clare

IMHO people who are living on "dreams" are really not doing themselves any favours - this is a migration board and if you are uncomfortable hearing about why a particular decision didnt work for people then why the heck read posts in the moving back to UK forum?

If you are coming without a consideration of the negatives then you are asking to fail IMHO. This isnt UK with sunshine, it is a foreign country and perhaps it would be better if we all spoke a different language then it would be much clearer. There are many reasons why people choose to go back to UK and all of them quite valid - most of those reasons didnt even enter into the reckoning when people were all gung ho about getting their visa and I venture to suggest that unless you have done a mile in their shoes you really are not in the position of being able to point the finger.

Your life is what you make of it no matter where you live it and moving to a foreign country does not confer anything magical upon it, it is still going to be hard work - and perhaps it would be better for new migrants to drop the "live the dream" venturing on "our new life" rhetoric because the more aspirations you have the more difficult it is to live when those aspirations are seen to fall short of the mark. For some, what they have to give up by way of values, relationships, environment etc is not worth the sunshine and big house with pool.

On balance I tend to think that those who are obsessed with getting to Australia would be better for hearing some of the reasons why people choose not to stay here because their obsession for getting here is unhealthy and means that they arent living their lives anyway, they condemn themselves to a sort of limbo so no wonder they are unhappy. Bit of realism never goes astray.

BTW, I do hope you find that "moving back is no big deal" should it all go belly up for you - there are many folk on here who, for many reasons, find that moving back is a hell of a deal and may lose their kids and/or their marriages in the process. A Pollyanna view of the simplicity of some of the decisions that are made on here is naive in the extreme.

I agree Clare because its not just about wanting to return to UK and being happy to do so and move on, its the bitterness that creeps into the posts, like its Australia's fault that people are unhappy. Its Australia's fault that one party wants to stay and be with their family when they should just not bother with their family after all they do not matter its my family that matters and how I feel.

I would like to know how many people are just as unhappy when they get back because they are just basically unhappy with their life as it is.

I personally get bemused that the rose tinted glasses are on both ways across the world and people seem to forget whey they did it in the first place.

I have said it before if we had settled in UK we would have had just as good a life but we have been fortunate that my oh had a skill in demand and was able to command a good wage wherever we lived. Its not the same for everyone.

have you just discovered PIO ? What made you post this now as your 1st post?

Yes Aldo, it's my first time to find this site. I found it by chance after searching for poms returning to England or something like that, hence my first post.

It's my second stint out here, I worked as a Welder on a work visa for 6 months back in the late 80's and thought I really new what to expect, but bringing a family is very different.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way as I do. Australia isn't for everyone, and I for one have given it my best shot, had the good paying mining job but still see the place as 'just somewhere to live'. No rose tinted glasses when we set out, it just seem wrong in so many ways.

Top of my list of reasons for returning is the kid's education, then personal security and generally low standards of everyday everythingness.

I hear them Banjo's a duelling every day....

...and here I thought this thread was all about POMS going home to the UK.....sorry but why are people commenting (and getting worried!!!) on these threads if they have no intention of returning to the UK.....why not try finding an "I love Australia thread" rather than boring all of us with your useless comments about "frightening people with the decision they have made"....give us a break pleeeaaaaseee!!!!

Guest Clare Robinson
I think most folk who have made the decision to return are happy enough (i know i am, no moaning this end). If you know PIO well you will see that us that don't really accept Australia as the "lucky country" tend to kep on the CTF or "Going Home" forums and very rarely intrude on the "we love Australia" forums so I would have thought it would be quite simple to avoid the points of view that you find so distasteful.

I hope i haven't tainted your dream:wubclub:

You have not tainted my dream. I apologise for reading a forum that I can use as my personal research. I am very interested to find out why people come home. I did not realise there was a section for "negative bigots" and a section for "dreamers". I am interested in peoples opinions and they all very helpful within my research and reasons why people come home (which is what I thought the thread was about). It seems to me to be more of a bitching session than actually creating anything constructive. I am certainly not looking through rose tinted glasses and having travelled the world am sure I will find it very difficult to leave all of my family and friends, but until I go I will never know. I am very sure for some it is a big deal, all I was saying is there is still an England to come back to, it will always be here. But these people have obvioulsy given it a go and it has not worked for them. People (including me) could do with explanitive reasons for coming back to the UK not calling people SOR or NOR retards or other abusive names. There are different people living all over the world I do not think for one minute Australia has less idiots than in the UK just because there is sunshine. However, life is what you make it and I certainly do not want to get to 50 and still regret not having done it. I may be on here in five years time explaining my journey to prospective migrants. I can assure you it will be constructive and helpful not abusive. I am going on now, I just think that toned down and a little more informative rather than being so aggresive towards somewhere. Surely these people had the same views as me once upon a time? How would they have felt reading these things, would it have stopped them going?

I think I shall stick to the forums as suggested Aldo that have pleasant nice things to say!!

You have not tainted my dream. I apologise for reading a forum that I can use as my personal research. I am very interested to find out why people come home. I did not realise there was a section for "negative bigots" and a section for "dreamers". I am interested in peoples opinions and they all very helpful within my research and reasons why people come home (which is what I thought the thread was about). It seems to me to be more of a bitching session than actually creating anything constructive. I am certainly not looking through rose tinted glasses and having travelled the world am sure I will find it very difficult to leave all of my family and friends, but until I go I will never know. I am very sure for some it is a big deal, all I was saying is there is still an England to come back to, it will always be here. But these people have obvioulsy given it a go and it has not worked for them. People (including me) could do with explanitive reasons for coming back to the UK not calling people SOR or NOR retards or other abusive names. There are different people living all over the world I do not think for one minute Australia has less idiots than in the UK just because there is sunshine. However, life is what you make it and I certainly do not want to get to 50 and still regret not having done it. I may be on here in five years time explaining my journey to prospective migrants. I can assure you it will be constructive and helpful not abusive. I am going on now, I just think that toned down and a little more informative rather than being so aggresive towards somewhere. Surely these people had the same views as me once upon a time? How would they have felt reading these things, would it have stopped them going?

I think I shall stick to the forums as suggested Aldo that have pleasant nice things to say!!

Well, everyone has a right to an opinion, and that's how its been for us where we have been able to afford to live.

I parked my car at the local requatic early on a Sunday evening, come out an hour later and two side windows are smashed in. Tea time in the main shopping area and a mother in her late 20's is letting her kids let car tyres down in the car park. I've lost count of the number of unregistered motocross bikes riding accross the verges and gardens. Hoons driving into the cul-de-sac doing burnouts, black lines around all over the place. Kids lurking around the streets at 1am, drunk or drugged up adults screaming and shouting at all hours. Bottles broken on our drive way, beer cans thrown into the yard, stolen bicycles dumped at the front of the house.

I've never had a car so bashed and scratched during normal shopping parking, seemingly no concern is given for anyone's property.

Retards, I said it for a reason, come and live where I am for a while then see if your view is the same, but please don't criticise what you may not have experienced first hand.

Guest guest30038

Mollag, you're well entitled to your opinion and to voice your concerns, but in so doing, it would be wise to explain to those who may be wishing to come here, that your experiences are yours and yours alone.

I have lived on my estate for 15 yrs, an estate boasting 54% couples with children. I've had my cars parked outside and a 100k's worth of boat on my drive. In all that time I've had the boat egged once and that by adults driving past. I've experienced very little hooning, no excessive noise, or abusive neighbours.

My Australia is not your Australia.

There are far too many posts on PIO from disgruntled poms who do not make it clear that they have experienced only a fraction of what Australia has to offer to them.............and that, is purely by way of their choice of location, and their choice not to try elsewhere. It's no different in the UK............location, location, location..........as estate agents say.

kev

Mollag, you're well entitled to your opinion and to voice your concerns, but in so doing, it would be wise to explain to those who may be wishing to come here, that your experiences are yours and yours alone.

I have lived on my estate for 15 yrs, an estate boasting 54% couples with children. I've had my cars parked outside and a 100k's worth of boat on my drive. In all that time I've had the boat egged once and that by adults driving past. I've experienced very little hooning, no excessive noise, or abusive neighbours.

My Australia is not your Australia.

There are far too many posts on PIO from disgruntled poms who do not make it clear that they have experienced only a fraction of what Australia has to offer to them.............and that, is purely by way of their choice of location, and their choice not to try elsewhere. It's no different in the UK............location, location, location..........as estate agents say.

kev

one of the best and truest posts on this site yet !!!!!!!!!!!!

well said Kev

I think you must have missed the bit where I said ''everyone has a right to an opinion, and that's how its been for us where we have been able to afford to live''.

Choice of location is fine, if you have the money to be able to choose it that is. I don't but seemingly you do (100 grand of boat on the drive etc), good for you but not good for everyone. Try arriving with 3 grand (UK) and see how you get on.....

I didn't post my opinion to get into some sort of internet arguement, I'm purely putting forward our experience and why we're going home after 2 years. Maybe it is ''only a fraction of what Australia has to offer'' but we have lived that fraction and it's certainly not what I'd call living the dream.

Give yourself a slap on the back for 'making it' but don't try and put me down because I'm telling our story as it happened, that's just an insult...

Well, everyone has a right to an opinion, and that's how its been for us where we have been able to afford to live.

I parked my car at the local requatic early on a Sunday evening, come out an hour later and two side windows are smashed in. Tea time in the main shopping area and a mother in her late 20's is letting her kids let car tyres down in the car park. I've lost count of the number of unregistered motocross bikes riding accross the verges and gardens. Hoons driving into the cul-de-sac doing burnouts, black lines around all over the place. Kids lurking around the streets at 1am, drunk or drugged up adults screaming and shouting at all hours. Bottles broken on our drive way, beer cans thrown into the yard, stolen bicycles dumped at the front of the house.

I've never had a car so bashed and scratched during normal shopping parking, seemingly no concern is given for anyone's property.

Retards, I said it for a reason, come and live where I am for a while then see if your view is the same, but please don't criticise what you may not have experienced first hand.

Where do you live? Sounds very much like some of the Western Surburbs of Sydney - particularly the suburb I stupidly bought a house in 8 years ago - at the moment a guy who is renting a house opposite mine has his work vehicle parked on his drive - if you can imagine the biggest road train in the land - it is the cab of the thing - huge - but not really suitable for a cul de sac location with very little room for maneouvre... this morning he had the engine running for around 2 hours - not going anywhere or working on the thing .... just the engine humming away - dread to think what he was doing in the cab with the engine running like that - the mind boggles - dare not say anything to him though - he is a huge kiwi with a mowhawk and tatooes with a penchant for getting blind drunk ..... so blind the other night he forgot he had new neighbours next door and went and peered through the bedroom window - scared the life out of the girl there and her boyfriend ran out screaming and calling him a pervert - picked up two beer bottles, smashed them on the ground brandishing the ends and threatened this guy ... now they don't talk - 99.9% of the people in my street don't talk to each other anyway 'cos of the amount of nasty gossip spun round here - maybe its the heat that has got to them - it was 43 the other day - I nearly collapsed after walking across the car park to the hardware store - thankfully sold my house and am returning to UK (a nice quiet town in North Wales) in precisly 3 weeks and one day.....

However, did manage to get away this holiday period - a trip up the coast - through some amazing rainforests, gorgeous quaint country towns, rolling green hills, fabulous beach and turquoise seas with white sand. I would have liked to have tried another part of Oz before planning my return, but with most of the work being in Sydney area I stayed - even though it has meant 3 hour a day commuting time - 'cos it was the only place I could afford to buy a house. These lovely country and coastal places are great for holidaying but very hard to find well paid work or indeed any work at all - especially if you're not a local (or even Australian!!!)...

Archived