Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest guest30038
I think you must have missed the bit where I said ''everyone has a right to an opinion, and that's how its been for us where we have been able to afford to live''.

Choice of location is fine, if you have the money to be able to choose it that is. I don't but seemingly you do (100 grand of boat on the drive etc), good for you but not good for everyone. Try arriving with 3 grand (UK) and see how you get on.....

I didn't post my opinion to get into some sort of internet arguement, I'm purely putting forward our experience and why we're going home after 2 years. Maybe it is ''only a fraction of what Australia has to offer'' but we have lived that fraction and it's certainly not what I'd call living the dream.

Give yourself a slap on the back for 'making it' but don't try and put me down because I'm telling our story as it happened, that's just an insult...

Sorry, but it's you that's missing the point. You chose to come with what money you had. You made a conscious choice and now you're whingeing about it. Your post was deriding your area, surrounded people that you chose to live amongst because that's all you say you could afford. Did you do enough research before coming here? Did you think it would all drop into your lap with what little money you had? Who's to blame for your misfortune? Yourr crap neighbours or your crap choce to live amongst them based on your ability to afford better.....or not?

As for your remark about a 100k boat. We came with A$16..........more than you, admitted, but we came with nothing else.........no furniture.......nothing. We sold everything to get that 16K and started from scratch and we've done it on just one nurse's income. I walked everywhere pushing two bubs in a buggy for 3 yrs and my wife cycled 22 ks to work each day. We're debt free and we're only just starting to live and belong, after nearly 15yrs............and, we didn't get to choose where we lived either, (based on best choice) we lived where we could afford until such time as we could bale out and find a better area.

Personally, I don't want an "internet argument" either, but I do know that if we hadn't worked at "the dream" and/or buggered off back to the UK when the dream seemed too far away to achieve, I would have been honest and told it like it is/was.........simply that we wanted it sooner and wasn't prepared to wait or work harder for it/at it. As it is, it has all been worth it and believe it or not, I feel sorry for those who feel that they have to go back.

What I don't like though, is those who come to PIO and instantly post negativity.........contribute nothing to the forum other than their negative views of Australia and Australians..........quite often they're folk with no previous posts who do nothing but blame Australia and not themselves for their own misfortunes.

Homesickness, I can understand. Missing family and friends, I can understand. Missing culture and the changing seasons, I can understand. But to come here with next to nothing, only enough money to afford you to live in an area that equates to Moss Side, Manchester (as it was when I left) and then expect to "live the dream" or whinge when that dream doesn't transpire, or you aren't prepared to "think outside the box" dumbfounds me!

There's been umpteen posts from those returning to the Uk who aren't prepared, or can't afford to give another pasrt of Oz a try. Aren't prepared to stick it longer and seek alternative employment because they can't get a job in their chosen field. Do they ever question themselves.....rarely I'm guessing.........do they blame Oz or Aussies..........frequently.

So, believe it or not, this post isn't directed at you personally, just those who contribute negative posts here and little, if any, positives. It poses the question as to how negative or positive they are in their daily dealings in Australia.

I'm done now and will say no more other than this..........I just had to have a say on this matter that all too frequently is offered as a "fair and balanced view" when IMHO, it only appears fair and balanced to the original poster............if it really was fair and balanced, they'd be adding some positives to their posts as well as the negatives as some well respected members here do. It's not all plain sailing for them either but they do at least contribute something other than solely negativity.

kev

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do you live? Sounds very much like some of the Western Surburbs of Sydney - particularly the suburb I stupidly bought a house in 8 years ago - at the moment a guy who is renting a house opposite mine has his work vehicle parked on his drive - if you can imagine the biggest road train in the land - it is the cab of the thing - huge - but not really suitable for a cul de sac location with very little room for maneouvre... this morning he had the engine running for around 2 hours - not going anywhere or working on the thing .... just the engine humming away - dread to think what he was doing in the cab with the engine running like that - the mind boggles - dare not say anything to him though - he is a huge kiwi with a mowhawk and tatooes with a penchant for getting blind drunk ..... so blind the other night he forgot he had new neighbours next door and went and peered through the bedroom window - scared the life out of the girl there and her boyfriend ran out screaming and calling him a pervert - picked up two beer bottles, smashed them on the ground brandishing the ends and threatened this guy ... now they don't talk - 99.9% of the people in my street don't talk to each other anyway 'cos of the amount of nasty gossip spun round here - maybe its the heat that has got to them - it was 43 the other day - I nearly collapsed after walking across the car park to the hardware store - thankfully sold my house and am returning to UK (a nice quiet town in North Wales) in precisly 3 weeks and one day.....

However, did manage to get away this holiday period - a trip up the coast - through some amazing rainforests, gorgeous quaint country towns, rolling green hills, fabulous beach and turquoise seas with white sand. I would have liked to have tried another part of Oz before planning my return, but with most of the work being in Sydney area I stayed - even though it has meant 3 hour a day commuting time - 'cos it was the only place I could afford to buy a house. These lovely country and coastal places are great for holidaying but very hard to find well paid work or indeed any work at all - especially if you're not a local (or even Australian!!!)...

I'm in a bad spot, although the estate agents will say it's a fantasic place to live with so many convenient places near by. First place they tried to sell me had a murder (drug dealer) next door but two the previous week. The place we settled on had a dead body dumped close by (more drug dealers/users involved) fairly recently. We sold it and moved a little further away, but still the problams exist.

Wales, very similar in appearance to the Isle of Man, I went as a youngster and loved the rolling hills and freshness of the place.

I guess life in a quaint country town in Oz would be far better than living the city life, but affording it is another thing, perhaps I need to get around more, but finances have been tight and unfortunately money is king.

No matter what I've said, I'm sure people can make their own judgements on Australia, there's far more people pro Oz than against it. It's refreshing to see that someone has set up a thread that allows freedom of speech in this respect.

That being said, the thread was set up for those returning to the land of pom and what their reasons are, but some would rather try and knock what has been said rather than let expressions of personal opinion be allowed in their own right. Let people read what they like and make their own minds up.

Good on ya fantasia, you gave it a go, me too.

Hmm, well Kev the reasons I have are pretty much based on what I've said, but some others do exist too.

But this thread is set up for the people and their reasons, not to talk about all the good they may have encountered.

I'm not a frequent internet forum user, and I found this thread via a search engine. I've not posted on any other thread on the forum as this was the only thread I've been following.

We had no choice but to come with what we had at that time, if I left it any longer my visa would have expired and shortly after that I'd have been too old to re apply, we had no choice to come when we did, with what we had.

Not everyone comes from the same background or circumstance, so it's pointless to say "think outside the box" as I do nothing but that every day.

My wife and kids are the most important thing to me, and their security and wellbeing is paramount. I've made a balanced decision (although I'm not going into the full details here) on why we should go back.

I'm not blaming anyone at all, it's just the circumsances that we're unable to get away from at present, and we'll be stuck with for the forseeable future. I do question myself as to why it's come to this, and my wife and I agree that we've gone backward in our life rather than forwards.

We had a go for 2 years and it didn't work out, no matter what we did to try and improve our situation.

We gave it our best shot with what we had available, that's all I can say, maybe we'll try again another time, but for now the UK looks favourable compared to this....

I bought my house on a whim 'cos it was very cheap - 8 yrs ago - the sales lady was from Lancashire and assured me that it would be a great buy - that the local council had great things in store for the suburb - knocking down vast housing commission estates, improving parkland and amenities and building masses of brand new homes - I nearly pulled out of sale but she kept saying I would be making a big mistake - that she had a list of people who wanted the house if I pulled.

8 yrs on - yes 80% plus of the housing commission has gone - the mall is still a dump - but apparently being done up soon - they have started developing the ex housing commission areas with very nice new homes - you should see the show homes !!! They start at the low $400's and up to high $500's - HOWEVER - a friend of a friend - an American Indian (not of the Red kind!!) went to have a look 'cos he was looking to relocate his Australian wife and kids from US to NSW - the sales person in the show home said "oh you'll be alright here - all your mob are buying up here - I can get you a a great deal on a home loan " - he said "what mob would that be then?" and the sales person said "muslims" - this guy replied that he was not a muslim and walked. Apparently people who align themselves with islam can get 0% home loans - funded from where I do not know. Heard a guy who bought last year in my street has one!!! Anyway, government has just granted a large amount of $$ to build an islamic library ("all would be welcome to attend") at the college up the road - and planning permission is being sought to extend the college to accommodate more students. Its great round here if you want to cook an authentic curry - onions and rice by the sack at the shop down the road. There are still a lot of 'Aussies' here though - there was a couple in the doctors surgery the other day - the girl looked very thin and gaunt - and was acting rather strangely...... underneath the pram in the shopping basket was a baseball bat.... funny she didn't like she was about to attend a sporting event!!!! On the bright side sold house for $130k more than paid for it. Should have moved sooner once prices went up - but by then my garden had started to look very nice and I became emotionally attached to my plants (I have put photos of garden under my profile thingo) .... silly I know - but even if I'd have sold a while back I would still be limited by budget to the outer fringes of Sydney - it would have cost a lot to move to another state - and I wouldn't know anyone there - although I do have a friend in Perth - but that is as far as moving back to UK - well nearly!!!!

Said to a friend yesterday (Aussie) that I was glad my partner had shown me some really lovely parts of Australia otherwise I would be giving the place the finger as I flew out over Gulf of Carpentaria..... as it is I shall probably be sobbing....

Guest guest30038

We gave it our best shot with what we had available, that's all I can say,

That's good enough for me mate, and sometimes, that's all you can do. Good luck and even better luck if you find the wherewithal to give it a another shot.

kev

Guest guest30038
Apparently people who align themselves with islam can get 0% home loans - funded from where I do not know.

It is against Islam to loan money for profit. There are quite a few Islamic societies that I have heard of, who offer non-interest loans. I believe the loans are funded from the profits of business interests. ie profit must benefit the community. If they can do it, why not local councils?

kev

This accusation that keeps rearing its head that returners "blame" australia is utter cr4p, and the the people/person then usualy goes on to suggest the "blame" lays 100% on the failure of the returnee to love Australia or explore the entire land mass of it in search of happiness.

come on! get over all this insecure finger wagging and except that Australia often fails to live upto some people's dreams. Its no ones fault, it just doesn't.

I would say though that if you only ever watched WDU or read the "we love Australia" threads you may feel a little peeved:wink:. I admit that when i was starting out on my immigration journey anything said or read that was negative about Australia fell on deaf ears but i wouldn't beat myself up over it.

It is against Islam to loan money for profit. There are quite a few Islamic societies that I have heard of, who offer non-interest loans. I believe the loans are funded from the profits of business interests. ie profit must benefit the community. If they can do it, why not local councils?

kev

That's interesting. Maybe I should think again and stay - the area could well improve by leaps and bounds.

I haven't written off the idea that one day - maybe some time in the future I may return - as I have said in previous posts there are lovely places I have been to that I have said "heh I could live here" - has anyone ever been to Gloucester in Barrington Tops region? - absolutely lovely - could live there. Would love a 'property' looking out over rolling green hills. I think I may have to buy some CD's with sounds of bush and birdlife so I can listen to it when I get "homesick".

Guest Clare Robinson

I am far from critisizing, this is the information that people need! Can I ask where you live/d in Oz? I have lived abroad and owned houses in different places asround the world and am by no means tainted and have experienced some of the things you are saying in Spain. Are you saying that this is because you are in a less expensive area and therefore this is what happens or is it all over Oz? My experiences SOR were nothing like this , I have many friends that live NOR and SOR and none of them have experienced these sorts of things. The odd bit of petty crime, yes, but not continuous antisocial behaviour like this. Perhaps you have upset someone?

Well good luck back in the UK, although things are not much better here!

Guest Clare Robinson

Was this because you once were looking through rose tinted glasses???? Please do not patronise those that are fully aware of what they are doing and have not made mistakes. The simplicity of it is is exactly as you have said, some peoples expectations are just way too high and when living that life it is not what they expect. This is not Australias fault. I completely understand your points but you are all extremely bitter wanting to blame somebody/thing other than yourselves having made the biggest decision in your lives and it has not worked out!

Guest Clare Robinson

It was not you fantasia, I agree with your comments good and bad. As stated I was just interested to hear from those who have experienced life in Oz and why they are going home. Some people are just abusive and negative. It is good to have a healthy debate though to bring out the true reasons why people go home and even some people that boomerang.

So who are you asking then? I've explained the best I can and think I've stated my case in my posts, that is if you've taken the time to read and understand them fully.

We're not going back to the UK, we're going to the Isle of Man which is quit a bit different than the adjacent island you are mentioning.

Rose tinted specs, I've never had them. Higher expectations since I last came hear nearly 22 years ago, yes.

Met any good ozzies, plenty. Come into contact with complet idiots, yes, far more than the good ones I've met.

Am I abusive, err no, not at all.

Am I negative in relation to our own situation, hell yes, and so would you be if you'd been through the same s**t.

Probably me then LOL. What a joke. I dont subscribe to the rose tint brigade, never have. :biglaugh: It is just another bloody place to live your life in. Nothing magical about it - it is just another first world country with all a first world country's problems and benefits. A long plane flight doesnt confer beauty on the not so beautiful, intelligence on the not so bright, wealth on the poor, it is just another place to pay the mortgage, put the garbage out, visit the supermarket, pick up the dog poop.

Wonder why people who are so obsessed about moving here are so defensive about any possible negative view point - ah yes, cognitive dissonance, that will do it every time.

Probably me then LOL. What a joke. I dont subscribe to the rose tint brigade, never have. :biglaugh: It is just another bloody place to live your life in. Nothing magical about it - it is just another first world country with all a first world country's problems and benefits. A long plane flight doesnt confer beauty on the not so beautiful, intelligence on the not so bright, wealth on the poor, it is just another place to pay the mortgage, put the garbage out, visit the supermarket, pick up the dog poop.

Wonder why people who are so obsessed about moving here are so defensive about any possible negative view point - ah yes, cognitive dissonance, that will do it every time.

To quote a recent post, although in this case it really is spot on:

''one of the best and truest posts on this site yet !!!!!!!!!!!!''

Quoll, you nailed it, hats off to ya...!

Talking about dog poo ..haha - took my dogs to Tea Gardens (Myall Lakes area) sooo hard to find a campsite that takes dogs - I have 3 small dogs - was very careful to "leave only footprints" but when partner was packing to go this young lad said "there's dog poo here dad, how did that get here" - if I was there I would have lifted one of my dog's tail and pushed it in said brat's face and said " I don't think that could have come out of that" - but anyway didn't get a chance 'cos I was packing up tent.... it was human poo I suspect 'cos a bit of paper was floating around - and the moral of story is I find that Australia generally does not like people taking dogs on holiday

its amazing some of the monsters that have egressed from my mouses ear of a bum hole. You'd be surprised:elvis:. I bet it was human though:yes:

Hi everyone, well i thought i would add a note to this, We moved here in Oct 2009 after waiting 12 months to sell up in the UK, please note we have spent along time making the choice to move here since 2003 and alot of trips over to ensure we picked the right state and area for us and what we wanted. BUT by christmas 2009 we knew we had made a huge mistake and Oz is not for us, the cost of living here is more expensive than the UK (oh we have 4 kids and are a family), I have dealt with every realestate agent in my area and to say the least they were well **** at helping us to gain a rental before we bought anything, we lodged for properties and got NO replys (HOW RUDE) its better to have a response regardless of the outcome. We have always been welcomed with open arms on every vist BUT this time was different when people in those same areas knew we were here to live! To say the least we were ignored/whispered about infront of our own faces, whilst there will be very nice Australians there are also BAD ones as with any country and i think we found alot of bad ones that hate poms, please dont say its the area we live in because hey we checked the area out on 4 visits over here. I think its hard for some familys over here like us who want the best for our kids and i can honestly say MY kids will get better options and education in the UK they are not beach bums which is whats on offer over here, dont get me wrong some kids over here do great things like one student at the local high school who went to OXFORD yes OXFORD UNI UK and that says something about the UK education.

I know that people will look at this and moan like i dont know what about the fact that we dont like Australia well its we dont like LIVING HERE!

So yes we are going back to the UK and our home town STOKE yes stoke-on-trent, it may not be the richest city but hey the people in my home city are amongst the best in the world as they speak to each other whether they have no money or loads and that makes a great place as we are not snobs we dont look at people and say hay im not speaking to you cus you have no money, we have friends who having nothing and you know what they are our best friends over here does not seem like that to us and we yes we get the feeling that Aussies just dont like the poms coming over, well hey we founded this country so get over it!

Guest courtney1997

So yes we are going back to the UK and our home town STOKE yes stoke-on-trent, it may not be the richest city but hey the people in my home city are amongst the best in the world as they speak to each other whether they have no money or loads and that makes a great place as we are not snobs we dont look at people and say hay im not speaking to you cus you have no money, we have friends who having nothing and you know what they are our best friends over here does not seem like that to us and we yes we get the feeling that Aussies just dont like the poms coming over, well hey we founded this country so get over it!

Even tho my folks say i have a weird accent around my friends i will aways remain a true stokey at heart !!!!!stokeys rule

Archived