Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Nawwhhh! That's sweet!

It was only a base from where I planned to travel around Europe, (tramping (driving trucks)) The funny thing was the day I got offered a job was the day Tracy told me she wanted me to stay local and if I went away that was it for us! (she never knew I got the job offer) so I turned it down. Never mind 5 yrs on and I'm a very happy man...:cute:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good advice, the British hate people even talking to them let alone telling them off about something, you would undoubtedly be stabbed to death before you had finished your chastising. Here in Australia the litterer would thank you for pointing out the error of their ways and probably invite you home for a BBQ.

My kids have been known to pull people up over littering here...first thing I told them when travelling back to the UK was 'don't try that one here, you'll end up in hospital or worse'.

A fantastic thread, I get so sick of hearing "I can't wait to get away from the UK crime" because of course Australian crime is so much nicer. If someone wants to leave a country and live somewhere else then fair enough but please don't whinge about things that are no different where you are going.

It does seem to me that some people disilusioined with life in the U.K. and desperste to escape use these threads in this section as a springboard to justify their own reasons for leaving and almost want to force that disilusionment on returnees. I would say just get out there and experience it for yourself and after awhile you`ll soon know what is right and what is wrong for you. We are all different, all want different things and different things make us happy. Best of luck.

M

Yes, they're far too friendly these Aussies. It's the reason why I've put on so much weight...it's being invited round for so many dinners.

Very good advice, the British hate people even talking to them let alone telling them off about something, you would undoubtedly be stabbed to death before you had finished your chastising. Here in Australia the litterer would thank you for pointing out the error of their ways and probably invite you home for a BBQ.

Guest Guest37175
Hi Matt

I`m John`s wife, never posted on here but have the occasional read. I left Australia when I was about 20 for a working holiday,to do the Europe thing etc, met John and ended up staying for 10 yrs. I was quite happy in London with John, always felt quite at home and didn`t really miss Australia but when our son was about 4 we decided we wanted more children and I knew that a change of circumstance and financially, more than anything, it would be easier in Australia.

I did say that it didn`t have to be forever and I think that maybe we stayed a few years longer than we should have but life takes over and there`s usually a a lot more involved than just jumping on a plane...we did have quite a good life in Australia but aside from John`s unhappiness there, there was always something missing for both of us I think (maybe because I had lived in London I had something to compare or maybe for me Australia isn`t the same Australia portrayed to migrants, it`s just where I grew up) but I was as happy and eagre to move back as John was.

It seemed that Australia had served its purpose and as a family it no longer offered us what we wanted. The U.K feels like home to me, maybe that`s because I got married here, bought our first home, had our first child etc, and life here does feel more fuller.

It does seem to me that some people disilusioined with life in the U.K. and desperste to escape use these threads in this section as a springboard to justify their own reasons for leaving and almost want to force that disilusionment on returnees. I would say just get out there and experience it for yourself and after awhile you`ll soon know what is right and what is wrong for you. We are all different, all want different things and different things make us happy. Best of luck.

M

Great post M.

I do think it all boils down to a sense of connectedness (if there is such a word). You don't necessarily have to be born in a place or grow up there to feel it, you just find it if it's there. I really enjoy coming to Oz as a holiday destination to see old friends, kick back and and experience a different way of life, but it's not my home it never could be. That's not a criticism in any way, it's just what my heart tells me.

My OH is Australian but has lived nearly half her life in the UK. I think instinctively she 'gets' both countries equally in that she draws upon the best of both wherever she is. I really envy that as I feel my 'English Blinkers' have stopped me getting the most from Oz, but there are many reasons for that. I can't help that sadly, but I'm very grateful that she's prepared to head back to the UK once again and try her luck there.

I think your advice about getting out there and trying it is very pertinent. I'm glad I came out here. I haven't always enjoyed it - in fact I've often been unhappy but that's because I'm very much an adopted Londoner who got nose-bleeds if he went further than Zone 5!. But, I'm glad I tried it if for no other reason than it broadens the horizons and has made me appreciate home in all it's different shades.

I've been reading John's posts for a few months now and always enjoyed how balanced, insightful and objective they were. When you think you're going mad then it's great to read something that makes you think "Oh, Ok, it's not just me then!"

The very best of luck to you both and your family.

Oz:smile:

Hi Matt

I`m John`s wife, never posted on here but have the occasional read. I left Australia when I was about 20 for a working holiday,to do the Europe thing etc, met John and ended up staying for 10 yrs. I was quite happy in London with John, always felt quite at home and didn`t really miss Australia but when our son was about 4 we decided we wanted more children and I knew that a change of circumstance and financially, more than anything, it would be easier in Australia.

I did say that it didn`t have to be forever and I think that maybe we stayed a few years longer than we should have but life takes over and there`s usually a a lot more involved than just jumping on a plane...we did have quite a good life in Australia but aside from John`s unhappiness there, there was always something missing for both of us I think (maybe because I had lived in London I had something to compare or maybe for me Australia isn`t the same Australia portrayed to migrants, it`s just where I grew up) but I was as happy and eagre to move back as John was.

It seemed that Australia had served its purpose and as a family it no longer offered us what we wanted. The U.K feels like home to me, maybe that`s because I got married here, bought our first home, had our first child etc, and life here does feel more fuller.

M

Whereabouts in Colchester did you settle?

JOHN

Hi Matt

I'm like yourself seen lots of Australia and wanted to see something different and let me tell you the UK is different (not in a bad way)

I found my parents sparked an interest for me, when they spoke of the UK it was with a fondness that just isn't here anymore. I'm not saying don't come (to late the tickets are booked LOL) just be warned.

When I flew over the UK I remember thinking how green it was (how that soon changed (flew in September)) the rain and cold hit as soon as I walked out, driving to my cousins house, I remember thinking how dirty the UK was, gray skies, all the buildings looking the same, litter everywhere, not a great first impression. Catching a bus into Manchester I remember seeing a guy walk up to a car smashing it's window and taking out a radio while people just walked by (never seen it since), talking to people on a bus and a black kid asked me if I was a copper! when I said no and asked why, he said "the only white people that ever talk to me are coppers!!!" even now I still find it strange that people don't say hi as they walk bye (they don't like making eye contact) walking out of a night club in Oldham and seeing fights breaking out coppers using their battons, police dogs etc, how crap the food was, getting lost all the time (buy a sat nav their maps are crap, Long live melways) I could go on....... The only positve I could see at the start was how cheap everything was even petrol seemed cheap!!! (before converting it back to dollars)

But saying all that once I knew where to go out, where to eat, how things work, the UK didn't seem so bad. As another poster said the UK isn't a bad place it has lots to offer, it's just learning where all the good things are.

I'm sure you'll love the UK it can offer a single bloke a great life and you'll feel alive (once set up) being able to see the world for a fraction of the cost (something I never did) but there comes a point where it turns into the same old, same old and that's when you'll know what you really want.

Sorry it may not seem positive but I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be to dissapointed what you are looking for is out there, it will just take a while to find

All the best and good luck with your new life

Manchester eh?.... I lived there for a few years and can honestly say would never go back to that part of the country agin. I'm afraid I agreed with the queen on that one - 'It's grim up north' Although the countryside was nice. No, for me Scotland or 'daan saff' all the way !!!!

Hey Oz.

Thanks again. I'm moving to Salford in with a good mate of mine until I get sorted and I'll likely get my own place towards the end of the year. I kinda like the looks of Whalley Ranges (I think that's what it's called) looks a bit upmarket. Anyway, we'll see. Right now I'm just trying to get everything sorted this end. 5 weeks and it's going so fast.

Thanks also to Tracy123 & M for your advice.

Cheers

Matt

You're welcome mate. I forgot to mention that location-wise a great place to live is Chorlton. Loads of great pubs and restaurants but leafy, safe and close to the city centre. Can be a bit pricey if you're renting on your own but it's a very studenty / young professional area so there's loads of house and flat-shares if you don't mind the company of others.

All the best

Oz

Something I have noticed since being on here is that those who have settled here are more than happy to say nothing nice about the UK and make the place out to be some sort of ghetto when obviously it is nothing of the sort. Is the lack of balance an attempt to shut out good things they remember ? I mean if that is the case and that's what it takes then I guess it's fine but it gives potential immigrants an extremely one sided view. They would get the impression no-one really has to work, it is all leisure time by the pool. The high mortgage just pays itself along with all the other bills and everyone just falls over themselves to be nice to you.

I have read some absolutely appalling things on here, from how much things apparently cost to how safe everywhere is.

I am a very positive optimistic person but some people seem unable to put any sort of balance into their posts.

Something I have noticed since being on here is that those who have settled here are more than happy to say nothing nice about the UK and make the place out to be some sort of ghetto when obviously it is nothing of the sort. Is the lack of balance an attempt to shut out good things they remember ? I mean if that is the case and that's what it takes then I guess it's fine but it gives potential immigrants an extremely one sided view. They would get the impression no-one really has to work, it is all leisure time by the pool. The high mortgage just pays itself along with all the other bills and everyone just falls over themselves to be nice to you.

I have read some absolutely appalling things on here, from how much things apparently cost to how safe everywhere is.

I am a very positive optimistic person but some people seem unable to put any sort of balance into their posts.

I would disagree, I think that there are lots of balanced posts from people who have settled in Oz, E.G. Fiona who loves it here, has also spoken of her hubbys struggles to get work, the failed promise of PR support from her employer and coming over on a budget. The reality is some people will love it and some won't ... nothing wrong with either of those and neither decision should have to be justified to strangers

I think you may have misunderstood what I have said, I wasn't saying all members have been unrealistic in their views rather some have being giving the most ridiculous advice, some of the things posted have been absurd. I wouldn't ever want anyone to justify anything to me or anyone else but I do expect facts to be given as advise rather than a distorted view.

The majority of advice given is well thought out and very helpful, some though makes me cringe.

Guest guest30038
I would disagree, I think that there are lots of balanced posts from people who have settled in Oz, E.G. Fiona who loves it here, has also spoken of her hubbys struggles to get work, the failed promise of PR support from her employer and coming over on a budget. The reality is some people will love it and some won't ... nothing wrong with either of those and neither decision should have to be justified to strangers

Agreed. There's plenty of posts that speak of the struggles folks have when getting here, with particular emphasis on how they miss family and friends.

Experiences of Oz and Ozzies, illustrated on PIO, are personal experiences and differ from location to location, and from individuals' perspectives.

The "rose tinted" glasses accusations do nothing but demean both the accuser and accused. It is a basic courtesy to trust what posters on PIO say, be they supporters of, or detractors from, Australia, anything less is accusing them of dishonesty.

Yes, there may be an element of bitterness, failure, or many other elements that contribute to their posts, but the downright lies (to further one's own needs) are rare, IMHO.

All a poster can do, is attempt to stand in another poster's shoes and see it from their viewpoint, which again, relies on trusting that the poster is being honest.

eg I came from Blackpool and my property verged on a council estate that was rife with burglaries and vandalism and all the elements such as drugs, that contributed to the social climate there. When I post, my experiences/comparisons with my life now, here in Oz, are coloured by those experiences. Had we lived in the area that my wife's family lived (country Cornwall), then my comparisons would be entirely different. My life would not have improved as dramatically as if we had lived in a less desirable des res and my praise for Oz living would not be as grand.

Likewise, a poster from country Cornwall, reading of my experiences (based on my improvement in life quality since leaving Blackpool) would find difficulty in recognising why I love Oz so much. Again, a poster from Blackpool would have difficulty recognising why someone originally from country Cornwall, would find Oz to be less of an improvement on their lifestyle.

All common sense really, when one overcomes one's mistrust of those with an opposing view and looks further into why our experiences can be so different.

kev

Guest guest30038

The majority of advice given is well thought out and very helpful, some though makes me cringe.

In that case, as this is a site for offering help, it bodes us well to correct those posts..........bearing in mind though, that if one is cringeing, is that based on one's own experiences or based on facts...........ie that although that advice may be incorrect from the cringers perspective, could it be that it would be correct if applied to another person's needs/location etc. Very difficult to ascertain so in most cases, all we can do is offer an alernative to the original post without actually accusing them of being misleading.........unless of course, one knows for sure.

kev

My point, which I thought was clear, is that SOME will post an example of what is bad in say Manchester and compare it what is good in a small town in Victoria but apply it to the whole of each country. I remember reading how someone had bought 3 houses and then said 'I couldn't have done that in England' which clearly isn't the case.

I think it seems to be a case of reading between the lines of my post. It is very clear that SOME don't give a fair appraisal of the way things are in the UK. I cringe because I find it hard to believe people honestly believe what they post sometimes.

I agree with what you say in post 387 though.

Guest guest30038
My point, which I thought was clear, is that SOME will post an example of what is bad in say Manchester and compare it what is good in a small town in Victoria but apply it to the whole of each country. I remember reading how someone had bought 3 houses and then said 'I couldn't have done that in England' which clearly isn't the case.

I think it seems to be a case of reading between the lines of my post. It is very clear that SOME don't give a fair appraisal of the way things are in the UK. I cringe because I find it hard to believe people honestly believe what they post sometimes.

I agree with what you say in post 387 though.

As I said, "trust" is the operative word. If someone says they couldn't have bought 3 houses in the UK, who are we to question it, let alone say it "clearly isn't the case".

The poster may have had financial or career prospects in the UK that would debar him from even dreaming about that, let alone achieving it. A move to Oz may have opened up a whole new world that offered opportunities that his circumstances in the Uk never could.

There are so many variables that it simply isn't fair to judge someone on that level IMHO

kev

Guest Guest37175

I think some people make the decision to up sticks to Australia because they've just had enough of the UK. For whatever reason be it crime or the fear of crime, lack of decent employment opportunities, lousy weather or incompetent politicians, they're just over it. That might explain some of their negativity towards the UK once they're in Oz.

I do think you're right that for some people developing a negative view of the UK helps them make the transition easier. If you tell yourself that (family and friends aside) your leaving nothing behind you but a decrepit country rotting away in the drizzle then perhaps that makes it easier to make the move?. Particularly if you've made the move in the face of opposition from family and friends?

Once you're here it's very easy to find evidence that the UK is in a mess. The British media highlights this every day, and whilst some of the news is impossible to refute (the state of the UK economy for instance), there is an accent on reporting the bad stuff and not celebrating the good. British media outlets love the whole 'Broken Britain' angle and milk it to death and the Australian media love to report this stuff too in order to get a few digs in at the mother country. So if you're looking for vindication for moving to Oz then look no further than the Daily Mail or Daily Express websites.

I don't know how much influence negative comments about the UK actually have on people attempting to emigrate. Like yourself though I have heard some fairly spurious claims made by British ex-pats over here about how cheap/better quality/more efficient things are here compared to the UK. Personally I think goods and services are overall pretty much equal between the two countries but I have frequently encountered British people in Oz who will argue doggedly that Coles and Woolies trump Waitrose etc like it's some kind of condition of residency here!.

I do wonder at times if people adopt the whole Britain = Bad, Australia = Good mindset in order to assimilate better. I've found that Australians love it if you say nice things about the place, but can be put out if you compare Oz unfavourably with the UK. even if your intention isn't to offend. Maybe being relentlessly positive about Australia is the key to a happy life here?

Not sure if that answers your question though?!

Guest guest17301

I know I have no place here! but...

It's natural for people to 'side' with one place over the other according to how 'happy' and 'settled' they feel..

Of course I'm not going to go banging on about the virtues of GB am I, I've chosen to make my home in Australia and vice versa.

In my honest opinion the two countries both have equal merits and cons but then you didn't need me to tell you that did you!

Depends on where you're at in your life...what you want from it and how hard you're prepared to work for it I suppose.

For me Australia trumps the UK just now and I hope it continues to...not to say that the UK is a bad place to live though. (just more really good places in Australia!):wink:

Forgive me for my intrusion into the 'other side' if you will....

I know I have no place here! but...

It's natural for people to 'side' with one place over the other according to how 'happy' and 'settled' they feel..

Of course I'm not going to go banging on about the virtues of GB am I, I've chosen to make my home in Australia and vice versa.

In my honest opinion the two countries both have equal merits and cons but then you didn't need me to tell you that did you!

Depends on where you're at in your life...what you want from it and how hard you're prepared to work for it I suppose.

For me Australia trumps the UK just now and I hope it continues to...not to say that the UK is a bad place to live though. (just more really good places in Australia!):wink:

Forgive me for my intrusion into the 'other side' if you will....

ok you said your piece now shut the door on the way out:mad:

Just kidding:hug:

Guest AngieandMe

hey we here since 26/7/07

hopefully going bk home asap when house sells

so if u know of anybody looking for a 4x2 with heated pool in Aveley give me a shout

many thanks

Fantastic post, I think that is exactly the way they think. I have never minced my words, if someone asks me if something is better here or the UK I will tell them regardless of where I KNOW they want me say :wink:

I do wonder at times if people adopt the whole Britain = Bad, Australia = Good mindset in order to assimilate better. I've found that Australians love it if you say nice things about the place, but can be put out if you compare Oz unfavourably with the UK. even if your intention isn't to offend. Maybe being relentlessly positive about Australia is the key to a happy life here?

Not sure if that answers your question though?!

Guest Doaldsons

no crime in oz !!!! around 10 stabbings in Melbourne saterday nite , friends house broken into saterday , Vic roads with a speeding fine for me 85k in 80zone vic roads and dick turpin one in same .If you know Melbourne it was between wellington rd and the monash fyw at 6am

Well.. if you go over the speed limit, you will be fined. That is why we have speed limits. Even 5kph over can mean the difference between life or death for some kid who runs out in front of your car.

I agree to an extent ie in urban areas but the way they jump on the easy targets on motorways is IMO petty

Well.. if you go over the speed limit, you will be fined. That is why we have speed limits. Even 5kph over can mean the difference between life or death for some kid who runs out in front of your car.

Very true (although 5kph is a bit proxy)! Try putting a brick under your accelerator pedal if you don't want to getting too many speeding tickets! Hehehehehehe!

Archived