Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest oz movers

I didnt want to go home but maybes I can be persuaded. Where is this beautiful villiage located. Sorry cant get the pic on, but it is the villiage picture sent in by love diving page 3.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest funkymonkey

We have been here 5 years in Jan and hope to be back around Easter next year. My son will start school in the UK in September. Have just come back from a 6 week holiday at home and simply can't wait to leave here. Have known since day 1 that it wasn't for me.:jiggy:

Guest jackie Macdonald
We have been here 5 years in Jan and hope to be back around Easter next year. My son will start school in the UK in September. Have just come back from a 6 week holiday at home and simply can't wait to leave here. Have known since day 1 that it wasn't for me.:jiggy:

Welcome home funkymonkey!!

jackie xx

Hi funkymonkey!!!

I got an email today were you had replied to one of my threads about going home and schools n stuff and now i cant seem to find it lol!!!

So i seen ya on this thread and thought i would answer ya here!!!

My son will be starting High school in 2010 and we are heading back in March so i have written to the school of my choice and gave them a full explanation of were we are at, explaining our situation and all of our plans, I also enclosed all his reports and copies of birth certs and christening certs n stuff !!!!

with regards to how we chose what school and what area!!! well we just researched rentals in our chosen area of liverpool and checked out affordability and then looked at the ofsted for them schools!!!

we know which areas we need to be in cause of our previous jobs, and family and friends (this is the reason we wanna return cause of friends and family, so obviously livin near them goes without sayin)

The decision to go home was harder than the one to come out ere!!! just because of that feelin like a failure and feelin like you are draggin your kids all round the world and expectin them to "Just Settle". however me and OH figured that the kids will be happy wherever they live so long as they ave happy parents. And at the moment they DONT have happy parents so therefore, we need to make changes, since makin the decision and telling the kids, everyone seems to be buzzing around and the atmosphere is much healthier, so the kids are happier!!!!

life is to short to be unhappy, and one last QUOTE !!! I dont look back with regret, i look back with thanks but i have now learnt that if somethin aint broken then dont try n mend it!!!! (which is what we done with our former lives in the UK) tried to mend somethin that wasnt broken!!!!

now i am hopin we can pick up the pieces and carry on were we left off.

i wish everyone who is goin back all the luck in the world and everyone who is stayin the same!!!

WE ARE PUT ON THIS EARTH 4 A GOOD TIME, NOT FOR A LONG TIME!!!!:hug:

Guest UptheHammers

Arrived Feb '09 and leaving Feb '10.

Will have had a great year in Oz but will be looking forward to going home!

Guest Carrie

Ha ha!!

We went back at Xmas, didn't want to leave, came back to Oz and made the decision to return to the Uk. As soon as we got back at Xmas I just burst into tears out of relief - I couldn't believe I was standing on my home soil.

Hey Aldo, I really couldn't list all the reasons without scaring the newcomers :0) My career has taken a nosedive, we've been discriminated against in the workplace and on the beach of all places!! The standards are dire, generally, the Tv, the food, the clothes, the driving, the heat, the insects, the lack of culture, lack of history.............. blah, blah, blah. I say, let everyone come and make up their own mind, but for us, it was the worst mistake we ever made (even worse than looking back at old photos of yourself and wondering why no-one told you your hairstyle was appallingly bad ha ha).

Ha ha!!

We went back at Xmas, didn't want to leave, came back to Oz and made the decision to return to the Uk. As soon as we got back at Xmas I just burst into tears out of relief - I couldn't believe I was standing on my home soil.

Hey Aldo, I really couldn't list all the reasons without scaring the newcomers :0) My career has taken a nosedive, we've been discriminated against in the workplace and on the beach of all places!! The standards are dire, generally, the Tv, the food, the clothes, the driving, the heat, the insects, the lack of culture, lack of history.............. blah, blah, blah. I say, let everyone come and make up their own mind, but for us, it was the worst mistake we ever made (even worse than looking back at old photos of yourself and wondering why no-one told you your hairstyle was appallingly bad ha ha).

I once had a kagagoogoo mullet!:eek:

Myself and hubby arrived may 07 and are returning jan 09 - This country just doesnt feel like home and we are no better off here than we would be back in the UK and at least there we have family and people that understand the english language without looking at you like you are speaking a foreign language.

It is my choice but i dont want my daughter growing up here i truly believe she is much better off in the uk. We have witnessed more crime and violence in our 2 years here than my whole life in england...and its not about areas because i grew up in a crap area in uk and the area we are in now is middle of the road. We have many more reasons and know we are doing the right thing. We did what most wont - we tried it, it didnt work so home we are going! Can not wait!!! Will just miss the beaches and the weather but we'll have cheap hols to europe yay!!!!

Good luck to everyone that has or is returning home and those staying too!! ;)

Clackkit,

I know what you mean. We came over pretty much at the same time as you (June 2007). My wife is from Brisbane originally and she has often almost pleaded with me to go back and recently I've been really warming to the idea. Home really is where the heart is and I am slightly envious of you going in January 2009. We're in a slightly different situation being that we have my wife's family around the corner who are the most welcoming bunch of people I have ever met in Australia plus we bought property 18 months ago and have just had a baby girl. We came over here really for the change and my attitude was "What the hell, I'll give it a go" but the UK is more appealing to both me and the wife. We've decided to consider our options in the next couple of years as finances and job market in the UK are a bit volitile at the moment. Good luck with the move home and understand that the years in Australia were just a learning curve.

LOVING this thread................as I am in the same boat............Came May 2008....going home as soon as we have saved "the pennies" to Spain...........OZ took all our savings but nothing ventured nothing gained.............loving it, enjoying it BUT not "forever" for US..........HOWEVER!!!!! Back to the point...............forgive me BUT you are ALL talking about going back in Jan 2009???? I'm confused lol.......Are we not in Aug 09?

Bless you x Great to hear experiences we can identify with.............thanks

Guest tlander56
Arrived Melbourne Jan 08

Posted to Adelaide Jun 08

Returned to UK Jun 09

Very reluctant to leave but a very complex work & visa situation made staying almost impossible. Not having sold the house in the UK & my former employers being very keen to get me back tipped the scales.

Happy to be back? We'll see...!

TC

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you TC?

Guest arthurdiane1960

hi all

I have been reading your posts and I am now so happy that we are only testing the water in oz first before we decide to take the plunge completely. its sad to hear all your stories but I suppose horses for courses its not for everyone. I hope all works out going back for everyone.

Arthur & Diane

Guest jackie Macdonald
hi all

I have been reading your posts and I am now so happy that we are only testing the water in oz first before we decide to take the plunge completely. its sad to hear all your stories but I suppose horses for courses its not for everyone. I hope all works out going back for everyone.

Arthur & Diane

Yeah, I know I am really beginning to bore everyone now, but it really is truly wonderful being back in the land of the living, my fabulous country!!

jackie xx

Before leaving the UK my Australian wife and I ALWAYS bagged off about GB, England etc but the biggest thing that we have learnt over the past couple of years living in Oz is that the grass really is never greener on the other side. It is true for us at least that we just miss silly things that were typically British. They might have been done the wrong way or the long way round but once you take that out of your normal life, reminisence takes over which will make you miss these things. I'm not talking about TV, the seasons, local pubs, shops like M&S or Next but being called "Sir" in Waitrose, standing in queues, iconic London transport that throws you around its carriages, the conservative customer service in shops where you have to ask for help not being jumped on when you walk through the door all the way through to traditions such as the opening of Parliament with Black Rods and Whitehall Road closures, roast dinners EVERY Sunday (it's almost the law). Don't get me wrong, Australia is a great country and I certainly don't expect it to turn as English to accommodate me, however for all the complaining we did whilst we were in the UK about the UK only now with hindsight does it seem completely foolish and judgemental. We look forward to going back to England, either for a holiday or to live but in my Australian life I always find I am still doing things the English way. It can be 35 degrees outside yet I will insist on wearing my shirt, cuff links, suit and tie to work. Sandals over a pair of flip flops (thongs), a short sleeve shirt or polo shirt rather than a singlet shirt. As the saying goes, "you can take the man out of England, but you can't take England out of the man".

Before leaving the UK my Australian wife and I ALWAYS bagged off about GB, England etc but the biggest thing that we have learnt over the past couple of years living in Oz is that the grass really is never greener on the other side. It is true for us at least that we just miss silly things that were typically British. They might have been done the wrong way or the long way round but once you take that out of your normal life, reminisence takes over which will make you miss these things. I'm not talking about TV, the seasons, local pubs, shops like M&S or Next but being called "Sir" in Waitrose, standing in queues, iconic London transport that throws you around its carriages, the conservative customer service in shops where you have to ask for help not being jumped on when you walk through the door all the way through to traditions such as the opening of Parliament with Black Rods and Whitehall Road closures, roast dinners EVERY Sunday (it's almost the law). Don't get me wrong, Australia is a great country and I certainly don't expect it to turn as English to accommodate me, however for all the complaining we did whilst we were in the UK about the UK only now with hindsight does it seem completely foolish and judgemental.

We look forward to going back to England, either for a holiday or to live but in my Australian life I always find I am still doing things the English way. As the saying goes, "you can take the man out of England, but you can't take England out of the man".

Lots of Brits who live in Australia still do British things Chris, my mum always did a British xmas, she didn't want any part of the Aussie 'outdoor thing' at xmas, it was a full on Brit xmas indoors with all the trimmings, and that was that. We tried to change it one year for an outdoor seafood bbq, but she didn't speak to us for weeks after, and we never tried that trick again. After she died we missed mum and her British xmases, but luckily still have a sister in law who rules that area with an iron rod - come to our place for xmas and it is a British xmas, take it or leave it !! I always get there first in case someone eats all the Yorkshire pud, I would get pretty upset about that!!!

Thick Aussies - Couldn't agree more - the neighbours in the street where I live - 30% Australian and 70% Asian immigrant - the Asians keep themselves to themselves - most anyway - the Australians are - well how can I put it - I believe there's a name for them out here in the West of Sydney - Bogans - never really understood what a Bogan was until I moved here - majority of Australians in street are morbidly obese - walking around in 'vests' and thongs (flip flops) usually with 'stubby' (VB beer bottle) in their hand - calling each other 'brother' - also can't believe how much they gossip - when I tried to be friendly towards one couple who moved to their newly built house same time as me - within a few months the 'lady' knew all other neighbours private life and got great pleasure telling me - so obviously assumed she was telling others my private stuff - and I was right - when confronted she turned into a 'bush pig' screaming and shouting - in front of her two young children - couldn't believe it - now have nothing to do with her or others - she has moved on to another couple who have only just moved in - my house backs onto a school and when kids are outside being supervised I can't believe the way the teachers yell at them - kids around here seem to use the 'f' word around the same time they learn to say mum and dad!!! And the street has turned into a 'car repair' yard - rebirthing cars - which doesn't look great - especially as I am putting my house on market next month and want to get best price - lovely old rusty Holden sitting on road right opposite !!

Glad someone else has found this, thought it was just our thoughts, dont forget the Stepford wives on every street!

• 1 month later...
Glad someone else has found this, thought it was just our thoughts, dont forget the Stepford wives on every street!

Don't forget the husbands mowing the lawn every day and trimming the boarders with nail scisors.. whilst slyly looking at his neighbors to see whos is "best"

Guest rachellh

Arrived March 07 and have booked tickets to leave 28 July 2010!

Thank god I have a 2 month trip back to the UK over Christmas to recharge my soul, otherwise next July would seem an eternity away.

My hubby knew we'd made a mistake the first day he arrived (ahead of us). He walked around the city centre in about 20 minutes, and realised that that was it. We came over here because he is (technically) Australian and was born in Perth, and because we thought we could have a better and cheaper way of life. We also came for the sunshine and the kids.

My poor husband now hates the place more than me and would leave tomorrow if we could. Needless to say he will no longer be supporting the Aussies in sport! We may have a nice house, but on the whole we find Perth a really expensive place to live, and lacking 95% of the sort of things that we are looking for in life.

To top it off I've never been so cold as I have been since living here, and the shortish summer doesn't make up for the incredibly long winter and lack of Spring and Autumn - I'm a sucker for daffodils and leaves on the ground! We now believe, that despite the parks and beaches being great etc, the kids will be better off in the UK and will receive a more rounded education, and in turn, more choices later on in their lives.

I don't regret coming here at all. It was an expensive exercise, but an important one to make. I have spent my life living abroad, but after a while have always be drawn back to the UK. I'm a pingpongpom in reverse I guess! We really did believe (and wanted to believe) that Australia was the place to settle and put down roots, and if we hadn't tried it out we'd never have known it wasn't for us. We'd have then spent a whole life time thinking 'what if'.

I wrote and linked to a blog about the reality of life here recently. Those who love the place will pick holes, those who hate it will relate. Those looking to pick a fight will always argue that black is white!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest Joanna1

Arrived Oz May 08

Returned to UK March 09

Worst decision ever-now saving very hard to get back late 2010. Oz feels like my home now!

Archived