Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest lovediving
I'm off back to good old Blighty on the 28th of February 2009 , I have secured a job in Derbyshire ....I gave it nine years in Oz , I really gave it a go , I had to my wife is Australia (she is coming with me by the way along with our two kids)

I really found the Aussie media to be over the top jingoistic , all very silly with this childish " aussie aussie aussie " rubbish ...I'm even tired of hearing the word Aussie on TV, whats that all about , you don't get that in the UK...media saying Brits this and Brits that.

I tried to eat,drink, work and dress like the aussies but thats not enough , they expect you to turn into some flag waving over the top jingoistic moron.

I'm English and normally quietly proud of that , have to say I'm sick and tired of big mouth put down comments from Aussies about my fellow countrymen , can not wait to get away ....you see if you can be as rude to other nationalities , don't think so.

I think I will be heading that way very soon, today was one of my worst days here feeling really down and miss home badly for much the same reasons as you.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MikeDawson

I'm probably not the right person to advice you right now, If you are moving to OZ maybe avoid QLD , they are very set in their ways , their attitude to POMS and yes you will be referred to as a POM every day of your life is that of the 1950's.

Then again you could be very happy , I hear Melbourne is more socially advanced and more tolerant than Brisbane.

Guest treesea
I just wondered what the main reason for people going home to the UK is? I am currently deciding what is best for my family... staying in the UK or a move to Oz. I am interested in hearing both sides, it may help with my decision.

I brought my family back to the UK mainly because I just wanted to live among my own people, and feel my land beneath my feet.

It's also possible to live really cheaply here in Britain, - not nearly so easy to pull off in Australia. Things like inter city buses for £1 a journey - What do we run our buses on? Water? A lot of the food here is so cheap, things like lentils and pulses, bread, milk, staples for cooking like canned tomatoes, cheese, coffee, olives. I still remember coming back and going to the supermarket for the first time, filling the trolley (it was at Lidl) and it came to £26. We weren't really noticing the prices, just getting what we needed. Noodles for 8p a packet (Tesco). What do they make them from? Dust?

We now live in Scotland, because I got used to space in Australia and don't like to live in as crowded conditions as you get in the south east of England. Also, the infrastructure is much better funded up here than in England.

I wanted my children to have a decent state education, rather than the private school experience they were having in Australia. 18-21 students per class, 82% retention rates to S6, indoor swimming pools, lots of physical education, including things like indoor rock climbing and skiing. Also, Scottish people seem to travel like there is no tomorrow. It just seems to make such a difference to people's outlooks. Morocco, Prague, Bulgaria, Egypt, Turkey, Euro-Disney, - the children at my children's schools seem to have been everywhere. There's school arranged ski trips in the winter, - I don't want my children just to learn about history and geography in a classroom - I want them to experience it, first hand. Here, they can do that. The schools up here take the students on excursions, for instance, to the site where the Battle of Bannockburn was fought.

We emigrated down under when we were at primary school. I suppose I have done the same to my children as they were similar ages when we moved back here. There's so much to do here that is within a 20 minute drive. Go karting, skiing (dry slopes about 7 miles away), the waterfront is a short walk away, likewise the indoor climbing centre, dedicated bike tracks are everywhere, walking along the river, seeing all the house boats, several farms for children to visit, including an inner city one.

And then there is the weather, - cold, dry, sunny, and insect free. Each to their own, but give me 5C and a warm coat over 40C any day. I would rather be outside in the fresh air, warm and snug, rather than sitting inside all day with the air conditioner on, escaping the relentless heat.

Guest kevin747

I am returning to Scotland also .I have nore space there,less cars and pollution.Australia is a fine place if you have to live in a rundown area of the UK.

The truth is that Australia talks itself up whilst Britains talk themselves down.

It is expensive and the education system at private schools is often inferior to the state system in the UK.My son's school letter starts with "once again Victoria is delivering a world class education system"- it's not. It teaches kids to do and work hard -fair enough but I have met many in the workplace who are incapable of thinking"outside the square " as they like to say

Aussies are good at bluster but they don't know how to complain hence retailers keep prices high due to lack of consumer pressure for example.They are also generally friendly but customer service is often non existant

If you want to swap a reasonable about of capital you can have the big house and the pool. Lots of people do this and have a fine life. I want better quality of life.

The infrastructure is 20 years behind the UK.Public health system inferior,electricity wires still hanging overhead,telecommunications a joke(try dealing with Telstra).

I'm off in 18 days and I can't wait although I have met some fine people here who I will miss

Guest Celtic.H.

I agree Kevin,

If you come from a really shabby part of the UK then Oz is going to be paradise, I come from another Celtic land, that of Cornwall and although we thought it would give us more it hasn't and we feel like we have just taken a huge step back rather than a step up. It is expensive area of the globe and people do not realise this. Education is attrocious but if your kids went to an inner city scabby school then it would be better (I think, possibly?). The bush is not beautiful, it is dirty, sandy, beige with a blue sky which makes it look even more beige, and flies, flies . The majority of aussies are a uneducated and a bit dim and yobbish. Yes they have sporting prowess but thats only because the majority of their athletes are from migrant stock, take a good look at the average aussie, he aint goona be breaking any world records in the pool.

Having a bad day because an big thick aussie couldn't keep his big fat mouth closed.

Guest kevin747
I agree Kevin,

If you come from a really shabby part of the UK then Oz is going to be paradise, I come from another Celtic land, that of Cornwall and although we thought it would give us more it hasn't and we feel like we have just taken a huge step back rather than a step up. It is expensive area of the globe and people do not realise this. Education is attrocious but if your kids went to an inner city scabby school then it would be better (I think, possibly?). The bush is not beautiful, it is dirty, sandy, beige with a blue sky which makes it look even more beige, and flies, flies . The majority of aussies are a uneducated and a bit dim and yobbish. Yes they have sporting prowess but thats only because the majority of their athletes are from migrant stock, take a good look at the average aussie, he aint goona be breaking any world records in the pool.

Having a bad day because an big thick aussie couldn't keep his big fat mouth closed.

There is not a place in Victoria that beats Cornwall.There not even good at sport anymore due to the amount of junk they eat. Ok I generalise but they are taking a lot of second prizes these days. Are you going?

If you watched the BBC documentary about the Celts there are none now they found that out when they did the DNA tests around the UK they are everywhere we are a mongrel lot now and no true celts left. May be one in Aus or Canada though they were isolated for a while.

Guest Celtic.H.

We are seriously thinking about it, our problem is finances and the cost of getting us back. My wife has been told she can get a job easily back in the NHS but may not be in Cornwall. A friend has suggested either Scotland or Ireland? we gonna give it a few more months to decipher if just homesickness at mo, but weighing things up such as career progression for my wife, education for my 2 year old daughter, retraining (uni) for me as I wish a career change, family etc, it does keep coming back as the UK despite all its problems and faults. Stepping back so far in WA is just to much of a leap back for me, relaxed, laid back but behind. Again it all comes down to cost of getting us, stuff home and having a bit to restart there.

Guest Celtic.H.
If you watched the BBC documentary about the Celts there are none now they found that out when they did the DNA tests around the UK they are everywhere we are a mongrel lot now and no true celts left. May be one in Aus or Canada though they were isolated for a while.

There are no true anybody anymore, no true English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish. There isn't even a true Aussie or a yank or a canadian. You are what you feel, I feel a celt and that is why I married her. I'm Cornish and proud and someone should tell the aussies, the song is oggie, oggie, oggie after the Cornish pasty, they've whipped that one too.

Guest kevin747

State of mind,culture,heritage is not found on DNA strands.

I presume you know what you are talking about

Guest treesea
State of mind,culture,heritage is not found on DNA strands.

I presume you know what you are talking about

Well said. Celebrating our Celtic and Anglo-Saxon traditions isn't about race. It's about being native to this land, where our sacred sites and traditions predate Christianity by thousands of years. When we were children we would travel to Penzance to celebrate the summer solstice. Nowadays this is a huge festival over many days, but even 40 years ago people came from all over Cornwall and beyond to the dawn ceremonies. Some of our family were in Crantock then and we had about a fifty mile or so journey in the wee hours of the morning.

Our how about the Beltane festival? Thousands of people attend the ceremonies in Edinburgh at the end of April to celebrate the dawning of the 1st of May and the driving of the cattle to summer pastures.

Walking along The Ridgeway to Avebury is one of the most amazing and moving walks in all of Britain. I want my children to experience places like Iona and the Orkneys as places sacred to our people, just as we did growing up. And to climb Glastonbury Tor, to pray for our land.

There are similar ceremonies in Australia, but for the Aborigines, the people native to that land.

It might be worth while creating a new forum, or perhaps just a new section of this forum, for those who are returning. I have no issues with the returnees - good luck to them, but I do have issues with whingers slagging off a place because their dreams have not materialised. And also those who slag off the whingers. So if you had a section where you could make your positive points about returning, and let those of us happy in Oz make positive posts uninterrupted by the disappointed, then maybe this forum could return to being a great repository of information for those intending to emigrate. Or return.

It might be worth while creating a new forum, or perhaps just a new section of this forum, for those who are returning. I have no issues with the returnees - good luck to them, but I do have issues with whingers slagging off a place because their dreams have not materialised. And also those who slag off the whingers. So if you had a section where you could make your positive points about returning, and let those of us happy in Oz make positive posts uninterrupted by the disappointed, then maybe this forum could return to being a great repository of information for those intending to emigrate. Or return.

You might not have noticed but this post is actually fairly and squarely in the Moving Back to UK forum - an easy one to avoid if you dont want negativity I would have thought.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
It might be worth while creating a new forum, or perhaps just a new section of this forum, for those who are returning.

A good idea, fortunately it's already been taken care of.

Guest lovediving

The thead you are referring to is specifically relating to people returning home. If you don't like the fact that people are unhappy and want to voice their opinion then you might not want to go to that thread, similar to me not wanting to go to the wishy washy threads about cooking or whatever.

If this forum was biased on the good things in Australia it would be terribly boring and also a false view of what people are likely to expect, they can take what they want from the comments use it or throw it away.

People have a right to their opinion whether liked or not. And as you have obviously been reading the threads you can obviously see that there are some similarities in people's opinions whether that is a whinge or not, it is obviously felt by many.

The thead you are referring to is specifically relating to people returning home. If you don't like the fact that people are unhappy and want to voice their opinion then you might not want to go to that thread, similar to me not wanting to go to the wishy washy threads about cooking or whatever.

If this forum was biased on the good things in Australia it would be terribly boring and also a false view of what people are likely to expect, they can take what they want from the comments use it or throw it away.

People have a right to their opinion whether liked or not. And as you have obviously been reading the threads you can obviously see that there are some similarities in people's opinions whether that is a whinge or not, it is obviously felt by many.

You see, there we have it. In my post I was looking at supporting threads for both POV without detractors trying to spoil the valid POV for others. And your reply was a standard pommie whinge. And that is what I want to separate. I trust you could agree with that?

Guest lovediving
You see, there we have it. In my post I was looking at supporting threads for both POV without detractors trying to spoil the valid POV for others. And your reply was a standard pommie whinge. And that is what I want to separate. I trust you could agree with that?

Sorry but your words did not read that way.

• 1 month later...

Archived