I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

UN Rates Best, Worst Countries

Iceland was top After Iceland, the next nine best places to live are: Norway, Australia, Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, the Netherlands, and France. The United States (not pictured) came in 12th, a drop from eighth place in 2006.

Couldn't see UK except they are on the bottom of the EU

Just had to put this in after all the battering OZ has had here in the last few days!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I know what you mean, Quoll: Just thought there might be somewhere in this Big Old Land that might make you feel a little better... So if the case is that you are resigned to OZ, that there is NO other option - your life IS here, then continue working at all those things you do to reduce the loss and loathing... If you can avoid it, don't get involved in things that wind you up & reinforce your misery and feelings of disassociation...

You can't hate Oz that much as you are actually defending one of the most vilified places in the country!! :twitcy: Indicating a degree of connection, POSITIVEITY??! Of course it will never be like your Old Home, how can it be??? (It is Canberra afterall! Joke!)

But consider how much energy is WASTED hating a place, when that energy could be invested in coming to terms with it, then enjoying it... (Unless it's Hull, then I think you'd have your work cut out - but that's only a small place, one could move!) It's like me missing the US; Tassie or S.Devon or Hadrian's Country will never replace The Great Lakes or Pacific North West Coast for me, but I can't be there, my Life's here, I can either be miserable or make the most of what Life offers me, seek out the positives and MAKE MYSELF HAPPY AND count my blessings - every DAY!

At least a major Positive for you is that you only have to live in OZ 11-months of the year! Can I at least suggest that you don't spend so many months planning for that event, to the exclusion of your LIFE here? If you're not doing every thing you LOVE, then start! Or learn another language, skill, just anything positive! I know it won't be easy, but the fact is your LIFE is here. I can understand why you wish it wasn't! But, continue to build on those positive reinforcer's - they do work, eventually you will have warmer feelings towards your HOME! Otherwise what option is there?

Every day, we can remind ourselves of all the little things that made one smile - the sunshine, seeing a friendly dog wagging its tail, kids playing happily in a park, getting a project done before time, seeing OH first thing in the morning, baking great Anzac cookies - enjoying time with friends or volunteering. Consider keeping a Diary Of Happiness: every night jot down EVERY POSITIVE event from that day, and be sure to re-read the previous week.. Just to reinforce those positives and stop dwelling on those debihillating negatives -

It's ok to come on here & have a good old whine, once in a while, but if one is so unhappy with one's existence, such unhappoiness can't be kept hidden for ever... When one spends so much time constantly looking forward, wishing one's Life away, before one knows it the Here & Now's gone and then what will be left? :SLEEP:

I dont know why people have it in for Canberra so much. As far as places go it is as good as any and Canberra isnt the problem..

I thought that Canberra was great when I visited, and I wouldn't mind living there, the problem is though, that many of the jobs are not available to Foriegn Nationals being Government and all that !

I thought that Canberra was great when I visited, and I wouldn't mind living there, the problem is though, that many of the jobs are not available to Foriegn Nationals being Government and all that !

Woo Hoo! You get the prize for being nice to a Canberran! :yes: The public service jobs are restricted but there are heaps of others - we actually have a very low unemployment rate. I guess it all depends on what sort of work you want to get into.

Nice try Herbster - after 29 years here this is never going to be home but I still live here and get on really well most of the time. I do make myself happy, I am a psychologist, I have a whole barrage of tricks!

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Woo Hoo! You get the prize for being nice to a Canberran! :yes: The public service jobs are restricted but there are heaps of others - we actually have a very low unemployment rate. I guess it all depends on what sort of work you want to get into.

Nice try Herbster - after 29 years here this is never going to be home but I still live here and get on really well most of the time. I do make myself happy, I am a psychologist, I have a whole barrage of tricks!

I am aware that to get a government job in Canberra you have to be an australian citizen. This is plainy stated in the Federal Police recruitment paperwork.

As you all want to be in australia surely it follows that you all WANT to be australian citizens?

So there is no problem with getting a government job once you are.

good luck.

Im not so sure about Canberra now that that I have this information! :biglaugh: As a Telecoms Technician in Canberra you need to be an OZ Citizen, so it is a no go for me!

Guest itskaren
I apologise for my comments on the thread itskaren, looking back at the post I suppose I didnt look into the matter for as it would feel for you as a person. I do hope you can find peace and get back to the UK if that is your wish. Have to admit slightly taken aback with the shove it comment, but fair point I suppose:biglaugh:

Perhaps a little harsh on my behalf............! x

Hi Karen,

No worries, I will definately look more closely at threads before I put my 2 pennies in though, was really having a bad day unfortunately and you got the bad day bit!!!!!

Hope the other nicer posts (better than my orignal one anyway) have helped you feel not so alone, keep us all posted as to what you decide to do.:nah:

Guest chris_mac

If something is negative in your life remove it. If something is positive embrace it. Health and hapiness is directly related to such.

No matter what anyone says on here, follow your heart for without it you have nothing! Life is to short.

x

How do you live where you dont want to be?

Well, for me, I rationalize that it is better to be here with the man I love in a place I hate than in a place I love without the man I love. Simple really. Still doesnt stop me hating the place though and all the little irritants that would once have washed over me now begin to bug the heck out of me. I practice thought stopping (nothing like a bit of cognitive behaviour therapy to keep you on track) on a regular basis and positive affirmations (which I once thought was mumbo jumbo!). I keep busy - even though I have officially retired from full time work, I have a part time job which keeps me out of mischief. I also have a raft of hobbies which could easily take up my time if I werent working.

I go home for at least a month at least once a year to catch up with my aged rellies and No1 son - I have a count down feature on my pda so I know how many more sleeps it is until my next visit because I usually book the next trip almost as soon as I get back. Usually I go on my own and indulge myself in enjoying all the things that I miss about England. I cry buckets when I leave home and I feel like I am going back into jail when I get here but then I have my soul mate here and it is good to see him - also, we couldnt afford the phone bills if I were to stay there for, say, half a year.

If we hadnt passed the point of no return it would be easier to persuade him that there was a life to be had in UK - as it is, we are both knocking on a bit now and financially it would be a disaster especially with the Aus dollar (which would be our only means of support) being in the toilet at the moment.

I also keep taking the Tatts tickets:biglaugh:

Quoll you seem have posted alot of negative comments about OZ, if you are stuck here and can't move back to the UK because your husband won't leaVE, why don't you accept you are stuck here instead of spending everyday wishing you were back in the UK. Instead of going back to the UK for a holiday every year why not go somewhere nice in OZ like Tasmania or the great barrier reed, Queensland then you might like like OZ more and understand why your husband likes it so much. There are many good things about living in OZ , it is one of the better countries in the world, think about all the people stuck living in war torn countries and poor countries that are affraid of being killed every day and don't have enough to eat.

Guest JoanneHattersley
Quoll you seem have posted alot of negative comments about OZ, if you are stuck here and can't move back to the UK because your husband won't leaVE, why don't you accept you are stuck here instead of spending everyday wishing you were back in the UK. Instead of going back to the UK for a holiday every year why not go somewhere nice in OZ like Tasmania or the great barrier reed, Queensland then you might like like OZ more and understand why your husband likes it so much. There are many good things about living in OZ , it is one of the better countries in the world, think about all the people stuck living in war torn countries and poor countries that are affraid of being killed every day and don't have enough to eat.

Quoll has posted pos and neg comments now and in the past. The thing is..... no matter what she has put her family first! She should be respected for that and not judged for it.

Some people just dont "get" Australia! Im lucky as I do!!! BIG TIME!!! I adore my life here but I have every sympathy for those unhappy that cant do anything about it.

The fact that family has priority over her own unhappiness tells me the type of person that she is and I would be proud to know her.

We have been in Australia for 6 years and for the first couple of years I would agree with you. You need to come back to the UK regularly to see how quickly the UK is going to pot. Irreversible multiculturalism and now the economic collapse. Just thank your lucky stars you are in Oz now. Just compare the standards of living.

Guest earlswood
We have been in Australia for 6 years and for the first couple of years I would agree with you. You need to come back to the UK regularly to see how quickly the UK is going to pot. Irreversible multiculturalism and now the economic collapse. Just thank your lucky stars you are in Oz now. Just compare the standards of living.

It is a worldwide problem and Oz is a knats knacker from going into recession, and the standard of living except for the sun THAT SHINES SOME TIMES is lower than in the UK.

Oh dear, I was just answering a specific question about how to cope in a place you dont want to be in. I dont need a lecture on "be grateful for what you have got" because the same could be said for anyone on here who wants the greedy dream of greener grass but who have a perfectly good life in UK.

I really dont think you quite understand the situation for those of us who are "stuck" here - and it isnt just me, either. I do accept I am stuck here, I do know that I could be in Biafra or Sudan but for just an accident of birth blah blah blah. I do try and be helpful and balanced - several people have contacted me over the years to say "we didnt believe you but now we see what you mean". I have been to every Aus state in my time (because I have been here a long time) and Australia has nothing that I want or need (OK so perhaps I would miss the good lattes!). I cant help that. I fell in love with an Australian - I cant help that either. He believes that if we went home then HE would be the unhappy one and, realistically, Australian money doesnt translate well into a UK environment so I do see where he is coming from (although, too, there is a touch of the typical Aussie self centredness in there as well!). We have a compromise which I can live with - he wants to go out and be self sufficient in the bush miles away from anywhere and for me a flush loo is utterly non negotiable! So we live in a city which probably closer meets my desires than his:biglaugh:

I hope that you never find yourself living in limbo - it is easy to be critical but not so easy to live it yourself! I dont know where you live, whether you are native Aussie or not but just imagine for a moment that you were in the situtation of having to live in a country you disliked in order to be with the person you loved - I bet you wouldnt be poncing around extolling virtues in a place you can see little to like in! And if you dont like reading my negatives or whatever, dont read them.

Anyway, this detracts from the OP who was having a bad day and with whom I utterly sympathise!

Different to you Quoll, I realised the problem that may arise and made sure that I married a Brit because I realised the problems that may be faced in the future should one of us desire to live in the UK and one in Aus. I am a great believer that each individuals family is very very dear to them so if you don't create the problem its the best way. How did I avoid falling in love with an Aus. Did not go out with one.:notworthy:

We are very happy here in Australia it has all we want but we could have been equally as happy in the UK if that had been our path and we would not have had a problem wherever we lived no-one longing to be somewhere else.

Oh dear, I was just answering a specific question about how to cope in a place you dont want to be in. I dont need a lecture on "be grateful for what you have got" because the same could be said for anyone on here who wants the greedy dream of greener grass but who have a perfectly good life in UK.

I really dont think you quite understand the situation for those of us who are "stuck" here - and it isnt just me, either. I do accept I am stuck here, I do know that I could be in Biafra or Sudan but for just an accident of birth blah blah blah. I do try and be helpful and balanced - several people have contacted me over the years to say "we didnt believe you but now we see what you mean". I have been to every Aus state in my time (because I have been here a long time) and Australia has nothing that I want or need (OK so perhaps I would miss the good lattes!). I cant help that. I fell in love with an Australian - I cant help that either. He believes that if we went home then HE would be the unhappy one and, realistically, Australian money doesnt translate well into a UK environment so I do see where he is coming from (although, too, there is a touch of the typical Aussie self centredness in there as well!). We have a compromise which I can live with - he wants to go out and be self sufficient in the bush miles away from anywhere and for me a flush loo is utterly non negotiable! So we live in a city which probably closer meets my desires than his:biglaugh:

I hope that you never find yourself living in limbo - it is easy to be critical but not so easy to live it yourself! I dont know where you live, whether you are native Aussie or not but just imagine for a moment that you were in the situtation of having to live in a country you disliked in order to be with the person you loved - I bet you wouldnt be poncing around extolling virtues in a place you can see little to like in! And if you dont like reading my negatives or whatever, dont read them.

Anyway, this detracts from the OP who was having a bad day and with whom I utterly sympathise!

Hi Quoll, I don't believe that you are stuck in OZ, I take it that you can still go back to the UK if you had to (without hubby that may be!). So really you have made a choice on the whole picture and not just on where you live! That is the important part, there are a lot of others on the forum that are bitter, and I believe that is from not taking responsibility for what they have done.

What I am trying to say is not the country that makes people miserable (except in extreme cases eg. Iraq,Sudan ect) but oneself, a person can be happy in any country. I always hearing of stories of people in dire circumstances that are still able to keep their mental well being and I believe it is due to these people choose there state of being, they choose to be happy. They are not idiots, they are not oblivious to their surroundings and circumstances they are just able to exercise their choice.

Hi Quoll, I don't believe that you are stuck in OZ, I take it that you can still go back to the UK if you had to (without hubby that may be!). So really you have made a choice on the whole picture and not just on where you live! That is the important part, there are a lot of others on the forum that are bitter, and I believe that is from not taking responsibility for what they have done.

What I am trying to say is not the country that makes people miserable (except in extreme cases eg. Iraq,Sudan ect) but oneself, a person can be happy in any country. I always hearing of stories of people in dire circumstances that are still able to keep their mental well being and I believe it is due to these people choose there state of being, they choose to be happy. They are not idiots, they are not oblivious to their surroundings and circumstances they are just able to exercise their choice.

I would still prefer to be miserable, bitter and mental in a country of my choice thanks

:sad::wacko:

Oops pressed pressed send before I was Finished.........

I went through the same process when moving to the UK (I thought that the move would solve all my problems...LOL), I blamed the UK for my misery, In the end I found out that it was myself I had to blame for my misery, so I decided to change, I still have bad days where I am totally negative but on whole my life is a hell of a lot better!

Quoll you are right in wanting to educate other PIO er's that haven't made the move yet, there are so many with Rose tinted specs on. Unfortunately there are many that are in OZ that Give advice but haven't realised that they have made the "choice" so thier advice comes through as Jaded and Bitter (I don't get that Vibe from your posts though).

As for your hubby he sounds like a great bloke, I think that you are totally unreasonable not to want to do the self sufficientcy thing, Get him to contact me I have some get info on how to build your own compost toilet and other green projects:biglaugh:

Aldo I'm a bit confused are you saying that you will still feel this way when you go back to UK /Spain?

I'm not surei understand your post

That is the important part, there are a lot of others on the forum that are bitter, and I believe that is from not taking responsibility for what they have done.

how does one do this?

What I am trying to say is not the country that makes people miserable (except in extreme cases eg. Iraq,Sudan ect) but oneself, a person can be happy in any country.

That is rather presumptuous and is definitely not the case for me.

I always hearing of stories of people in dire circumstances that are still able to keep their mental well being and I believe it is due to these people choose there state of being, they choose to be happy. They are not idiots, they are not oblivious to their surroundings and circumstances they are just able to exercise their choice.

I am lucky that I go to work every day and get out and about enough to keep my mind upbeat and optimistic for my future but if you read some of posts on this forum about people stuck here (for what ever reasons) it is heart breaking, some have been teetering on the edge of breaking down. They are also "not idiots" and i'm sure they didn't "choose there state of being".

sorry if I have misunderstood your post.

Im not sure that I should open this can of worms, but in your mind what makes OZ so unbearable to you?

Rather than be accused of negativity i would prefer it if you read some of my previous posts. Not being awkward but i'm kind of in a good mood at the moment and don't want to upset myself..

Maybe monday afternoon after laying bricks all day i might be in the mood to tell all.:jiggy:

Archived