Need to get out of England but i'm 49 and a single parent)

MrTee

Im one of the many who has had enough of England, and looking to OZ as a possibility.

Though, it seems my age is against me (49), and i'm a single parent to a soon to be 14 year old girl.

My qualification as a Welding Inspector/NDT tech seems to be on the list for skilled immigrants.

Is it viable to move out there with a Student visa for my daughter and put her into private school ... and initially get the relevant parental visa to allow me to stay in country .... then attempt to get a temporary visa for 2/3 years to work as a Welding Inspector/NDT tech?

Ive a fair chunk of money i.e. best part of £450,000, so can afford to buy a house, and have some spare to tide us over ... plus I can work overseas on short contracts earning 4 figures in USD a day.

Realise as im coming up to 50, there is no chance of permanent residency, more a move to give my kid some fun in the rest of her childhood, and to put down roots for her so she has a better place to live in the future.

IMHO England/UK is screwed and is only going to get worse, so desperate to get out.

• Like 1

You should speak with a migration agent. Parental visas are issued to parents of citizens/permanent residents. They're not issued to parents of children in the country on temporary visas (although if this is the case, as always I will defer to an RMA).

Also, the cut off age for the majority of skilled permanent resident visas is 45, not 50.

Edited by BendigoBoy
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, MrTee said:

Though, it seems my age is against me (49

The cutoff date for most visas is 45, not 49, so you're already too late for a permanent visa. There are some very rare exceptions but not likely to apply to you.  Also as a reality check,  £450,000 won't be enough to buy a house in most capital cities in Australia, especially as you'll be slugged a hefty surcharge as a temporary resident.  Housing is very expensive here. So I doubt you could afford your strategy, even if it was possible.

I'd be looking at other alternatives, but if you're set on Australia, I would look into getting a short contract (which would be on a 482 visa, that's 2-4 years with a chance of renewal).  You don't have to be in Australia for an employer to sponsor you.  Look on Seek.com.au for jobs.  If you're having trouble making contacts, maybe you could come on a holiday and try visiting a few potential employers.  

If you can get a 482 visa then of course, your daughter can come with you.  But she won't be able to get a permanent visa either, so she'll have to return to the UK at some point. Still, once she's old enough, she could get a WHV (working holiday visa) to return for another 2-3 years and if she's lucky and has chosen the right career, might eventuallyy get a permanent visa. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

It is definately worth speaking with a good agent (quite a few post on here so look at their signature), a quick google keeps throwing this up, so looks like there is ways in if you can fit the criteria and haven't left it too late (age wise) - 

Visas that allow you to gain PR above the age of 45 include:

DAMA Visas (where you can get an employer-sponsored visas in special regional areas up to the age of 55)
– Or through standard 482 Employer Sponsored Visas (Subclass 482) – under select circumstances

Yes, you can get PR anywhere in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne Brisbane, etc,) on a standard 482 visa if you are over the age of 45. However, there is a catch. If you are over the age of 45 and want to get Permanent Residency on a standard 482 Employer-Sponsored Visa, you must earn above the high-income threshold. You can then access Permanent Residency through the 186 Temporary Resident Transition Stream.

Applicants generally cannot access PR if they are older than 45. However, there is an exemption through the 186 TRT stream if you;

– have been employed by their nominating employer in their nominated occupation at all times during the two years on a 482 visa immediately before applying; and
– had annual earnings for each of the three years, that were equal to or greater than the Fair Work High Income Threshold (FWHIT) that applied at the end of that year

How much is the high-income threshold? From July 1, 2023, the High Income Threshold is AUD167,500. Please note, that this will usually
increase every year with inflation. Therefore, if you are on a 482 visa and are above 45 years of age, you can still gain Permanent residency if you earn above this amount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Also as a reality check, £450,000 won't be enough to buy a house in most capital cities in Australia, especially as you'll be slugged a hefty surcharge as a temporary resident.  Housing is very expensive here.

A quick fact check; $870,000 would be sufficient to buy a home in any Australian city with the exception of Sydney. In Melbourne and Canberra you're going to be living in suburbia, but they're still affordable on that kind of budget. One assumes that the OP could obtain a mortgage too, which would further extend his budget. He also mentioned that he can earn over USD $1,000/day, which is a fantastic income. Blimey, I wished I'd become a welding inspector instead of a teacher! 😄

https://www.domain.com.au/research/house-price-report/march-2023/

£450k is some solid coin and a lot more money than most migrants arrive on these shores with, so I don't see any problem for the OP financially. However, his pathway to PR is going to be a lot harder, and as others have said, consulting an RMA should be his next step.

@MrTee I'm 100% behind your reasons for wanting to leave the UK. Have you considered any other countries? I believe it's a fair bit easier to get PR in NZ, although don't quote me on that!

• 2 weeks later...

I note you are a single parent - will your daughter's other parent allow her to leave? That's often an issue that single parents have when trying to move their kids. 

I agree that talking with an agent is your best bet - but some of the pathways are going to put a serious dent in your £450k (especially private international school fees!)

Always better to be drawn to a new place rather than pushed away from another.

I certainly never liked living in the UK from the start of my adulthood until i left and i am 100% comfortable with my decision to move to Australia.  It has given me a lifestyle which is impossible in the UK without being very wealthy.

But i think you should look at what you think will improve for you here rather than focusing on what is wrong with the UK

• Like 2

I’d look at NZ or Canada (if you like the cold). Many UK police, firies & ambos moved to NZ. Here in Oz I’ve found Kiwi managers are much more competent & professional.

If its just you & daughter, then a modernish 2-bedroom unit should suit. They are rare & go for around $450,000 in regional areas & climbing.

Depending on what work you want, TIG welders are in demand.

The ship-submarine building industry in Adelaide SA would be a good choice. Incat in Hobart, Tasmania also uses several & is a good employer – worth an email enquiry. Tho I wouldn’t classify Tassie as anything other than a hillbilly state despite the nice southern-UK style weather.

Australia will soon start building more armoured vehicles (for Germany) in Brisbane Qld.

I’ll ask my workshop supervisor (engineer in the Mt.Isa mines for years) & a friend in the aircraft industry about their use of TIG these days – probably good.

Wages in Oz are higher than UK & living expenses (while climbing) are also lower.

• Like 2

Mr Tee

Based on the limited information you have provided, there are potentially some pathways for you and your daughter. 

I would certainly suggest a modest investment in having a consultation with a Registered Migration Agent who can determine your eligibility and potential pathways for you both.

With the potential to earn a higher annual income, this potentially presents more options to you.

Once you know where you stand from visa perspective, you can work on developing your strategy incorporating housing, schooling etc.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3

On 24/03/2024 at 04:53, InnerVoice said:

A quick fact check; $870,000 would be sufficient to buy a home in any Australian city with the exception of Sydney. In Melbourne and Canberra you're going to be living in suburbia, but they're still affordable on that kind of budget. One assumes that the OP could obtain a mortgage too, which would further extend his budget. He also mentioned that he can earn over USD $1,000/day, which is a fantastic income. Blimey, I wished I'd become a welding inspector instead of a teacher! 😄

https://www.domain.com.au/research/house-price-report/march-2023/

£450k is some solid coin and a lot more money than most migrants arrive on these shores with, so I don't see any problem for the OP financially. However, his pathway to PR is going to be a lot harder, and as others have said, consulting an RMA should be his next step.

@MrTee I'm 100% behind your reasons for wanting to leave the UK. Have you considered any other countries? I believe it's a fair bit easier to get PR in NZ, although don't quote me on that!

Hi thanks for all your replies.

I can move to Thailand as my daughter has a passport for there ... but its too hot most the year, and i couldnt imagine spending the last 1/3 of my life there .. plus the opportunities would be limited for daughter.

Can move to the USA, but its too violent. Canada is too cold.

NZ is too far if i need to work in Europe, the extra few hours are a killer.

Northern Europe is less fun than England, and has similar problems, plus Brits don't move to Europe at working age even prior to Brexit due to not speaking the lingo.

Basically Australia as the language / climate / job prospects for kid/ safety to live an OK life.

Contacted several companies, since i initially posted, a few have got back to me .. but as soon as i said im 49, they go quiet ... not sure why as it was only a short time ago that i was 25!

I'm not too fussed about getting PR for myself, its more a case of getting my kid out there, and getting her settled whilst she is almost young ... as she is academic, id imagine in time she could get PR, after studying at Uni, then the 2 year working holiday visa ... at which point i can pay for the parental visa which i see is very expensive.

More a case of getting the 4 year work visa for myself, which just about sees her finish pre uni education.

8 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

Mr Tee

Based on the limited information you have provided, there are potentially some pathways for you and your daughter. 

I would certainly suggest a modest investment in having a consultation with a Registered Migration Agent who can determine your eligibility and potential pathways for you both.

With the potential to earn a higher annual income, this potentially presents more options to you.

Once you know where you stand from visa perspective, you can work on developing your strategy incorporating housing, schooling etc.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, for that ... and thanks to all others offering advice.

Wil search for a migration agent.

On 02/04/2024 at 21:48, Quoll said:

I note you are a single parent - will your daughter's other parent allow her to leave? That's often an issue that single parents have when trying to move their kids. 

I agree that talking with an agent is your best bet - but some of the pathways are going to put a serious dent in your £450k (especially private international school fees!)

Yes no issue on that score ... she moved back to her country of origin without even telling us! (had separated years earlier)

14 hours ago, not a hillbilly said:

I’d look at NZ or Canada (if you like the cold). Many UK police, firies & ambos moved to NZ. Here in Oz I’ve found Kiwi managers are much more competent & professional.

If its just you & daughter, then a modernish 2-bedroom unit should suit. They are rare & go for around $450,000 in regional areas & climbing.

Depending on what work you want, TIG welders are in demand.

The ship-submarine building industry in Adelaide SA would be a good choice. Incat in Hobart, Tasmania also uses several & is a good employer – worth an email enquiry. Tho I wouldn’t classify Tassie as anything other than a hillbilly state despite the nice southern-UK style weather.

Australia will soon start building more armoured vehicles (for Germany) in Brisbane Qld.

I’ll ask my workshop supervisor (engineer in the Mt.Isa mines for years) & a friend in the aircraft industry about their use of TIG these days – probably good.

Wages in Oz are higher than UK & living expenses (while climbing) are also lower.

I'm a welding inspector and Phased Array/ToFD ... id expect to take a huge cut on day rate to move to OZ, as id be going from contractor who hires out equipment .. to PAYE employee.

Best wages and conditions are in Norway, nowhere else on earth comes close. 2 weeks on 4 weeks off, for full yearly pay, on rigs that can be like hotels with masses of fresh food to choose from ... and no sharing rooms. Yet just a few hundred metres away in UK sector its 3 on 3 off so people are shattered ... and always sharing rooms, often with someone on he same shift ... and can be 3 to a room .... plus deep fried everything served by a grimacing Glaswegian.

14 minutes ago, MrTee said:

Yes no issue on that score ... she moved back to her country of origin without even telling us! (had separated years earlier)

Hopefully you’re still in contact as you will still need her permission to take your daughter to Australia.  

Just in case you didn’t notice the signature,  wrussell who commented above is a known migrant agent on this forum.  Perhaps reach out to him. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrTee said:

Contacted several companies, since i initially posted, a few have got back to me .. but as soon as i said im 49, they go quiet ... not sure why

Of course they do.  They know how hard it'll be for you to get a visa.  They know most people want a permanent visa, so they think you'll change your mind when you find out how slim your chances are.  They're not going to waste time talking to you when they think there's not much chance you'll follow through.   

If you can convince them you're genuinely just looking for contract work, you might get a different reaction.

As Tulip1 says, I'd also check up whether you need the wife's permission to remove your daughter from the UK.  As she's not living there herself, I don't think it should be an issue, but it's important to be sure. You don't want to go through the whole visa process then find they don't allow your daughter into the country when you arrive.

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Hopefully you’re still in contact as you will still need her permission to take your daughter to Australia.  

Just in case you didn’t notice the signature,  wrussell who commented above is a known migrant agent on this forum.  Perhaps reach out to him. 

There has to be some mechanism when one parent is absent and not contactable.....

6 minutes ago, can1983 said:

There has to be some mechanism when one parent is absent and not contactable.....

I expect there maybe something that can be done but not sure.  Important he’s made aware of it though as no one wants to fall at the last hurdle. That’s another thing the poster can discuss with an agent when they engage with one. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2024 at 08:40, not a hillbilly said:

. Incat in Hobart, Tasmania also uses several & is a good employer – worth an email enquiry. Tho I wouldn’t classify Tassie as anything other than a hillbilly state despite the nice southern-UK style weather.

Perfectly possible to live a hillbilly-free life in Hobart.  Incat would be a very interesting company to work for, especially at the moment: 

INCAT - Leading The World In The Transition To Zero Emission Ro-Pax Ferries

9 hours ago, can1983 said:

I can get her permission

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Of course they do.  They know how hard it'll be for you to get a visa.  They know most people want a permanent visa, so they think you'll change your mind when you find out how slim your chances are.  They're not going to waste time talking to you when they think there's not much chance you'll follow through.   

If you can convince them you're genuinely just looking for contract work, you might get a different reaction.

As Tulip1 says, I'd also check up whether you need the wife's permission to remove your daughter from the UK.  As she's not living there herself, I don't think it should be an issue, but it's important to be sure. You don't want to go through the whole visa process then find they don't allow your daughter into the country when you arrive.

Cheers for telling it how it is.

When the Gorgon project was being built, they were desperate to get Brits out there ... was offered work frequently with offers of arranging a visa ... seems its not so busy out there now.

If i could go out there with my equipment and job about as a contractor that would be my preference, though my understanding is the sponsored visa is only for work with the one company.

I am happy to pay for the visa out of my own pocket.

18 hours ago, wrussell said:

Do not complain about being 49. I am 83 and still firing on most cylinders.

As am I but Aussie employers are known for being age-ist.  I was first told I was too old at 17 - they wanted 15 yo's without any experience.  Had the same problem throughout my working life in Oz .... too old, too experienced / skilled, too educated 🙄

• Like 2