Proof of citizenship

Lavers

Hi all it’s been a while.

Just looking at getting a passport for my youngest but need proof of citizenship, I’ve checked online and I’m assuming it’s the one on my attached photo for $265.

Does that seem correct.

Cheers 

IMG_6575.png

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi all it’s been a while.

Just looking at getting a passport for my youngest but need proof of citizenship, I’ve checked online and I’m assuming it’s the one on my attached photo for $265.

Does that seem correct.

Cheers 

IMG_6575.png

Sorry, dude. Don't mean to sound like a dick. Context, please. Youngest under 16, aye?

Wee one didn't go to citizenship ceremony with you? 

If born after you got PR and was here in Oz, then they'll be a citizen anyways.

Correcting myself: sorry, you said yourself they were born here. You just need a certificate of citizenship. Can't quote directly, but I figured they'd be free given they're already a citizen.

Worst case scenario, my read is $265.

As always, I will happily stand corrected.

Just super excited that it's one more soul that won't need a Blighty Blighted Passport once they get their citizenship confirmed 💜

Edited by BendigoBoy

Yes, you need to pay the $265 fee even though she's already a citizen by birth.

The only exception would be when she previously had an Australian passport because the rules at the time didn't require a citizenship certificate for people in this situation.

• Like 1

Thank you both I will get this sorted now.

Shame regarding my middle daughter as she needs to renew her Uk passport for a trip in May, but then we can apply for citizenship in June so seems like a waste but never mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Thank you both I will get this sorted now.

Shame regarding my middle daughter as she needs to renew her Uk passport for a trip in May, but then we can apply for citizenship in June so seems like a waste but never mind.

Handy to have for the future though. Much easier to keep it current than to have to apply from scratch if she wants to use it in years to come.

Plus, even though you can apply in June, she can't get an Aus passport until after the ceremony, and that could be many months away.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Handy to have for the future though. Much easier to keep it current than to have to apply from scratch if she wants to use it in years to come.

Plus, even though you can apply in June, she can't get an Aus passport until after the ceremony, and that could be many months away.

Do you recommend renewing our UK passports for all of us when the time arrives.

Yes. It won’t be long before you will need Uk passport or visa ( not possible if citizens ) just like Australia. 
plus we just entered Vietnam on Uk Passports as don’t need to pay for visa with them but do on Aus passports. 
much easier and cheaper to renew than let lapse and re apply. 
Easy to renew Uk passport from Aus online. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lavers said:

Do you recommend renewing our UK passports for all of us when the time arrives.

Hi @Lavers, nice to hear from you!

Personally, I'd say 'no' unless you think there might be a chance that you'll move back to the UK in the next 10 years. I recall you've got a young family of 3, so it's going to cost over $1,500 to renew all your UK passports (if we ignore the middle daughter who has to renew hers). Given that you're all going to become Australian citizens and should all have Australian passports within the next 2 years, it seems like a lot of money for some bits of paper stuck in a drawer that you're never going to use. Bear in mind when you renew a UK passport from overseas there's a hefty surcharge to pay.

image.png.46cb3c435a5a5b5964bd378c33e8761c.png

• Like 2

Have to admit my reasoning is not wholly based on cost, but on the hassle involved getting  hold of family birth certs etc to do a whole new application from scratch, if for instance one of the kids decides they'd like to come home and work for a while etc

If - though I feel its probably when - the rules change and you need a UK passport to enter if you are a citizen, the renewal fees will have been worth it. Plus the fact processing times will go through the roof!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Have to admit my reasoning is not wholly based on cost, but on the hassle involved getting  hold of family birth certs etc to do a whole new application from scratch, if for instance one of the kids decides they'd like to come home and work for a while etc

If - though I feel its probably when - the rules change and you need a UK passport to enter if you are a citizen, the renewal fees will have been worth it. Plus the fact processing times will go through the roof!!!

That's always a possibility, although I will politely challenge your use of the word 'home' given that the kids will have grown up in Australia, so that will be their home (unless they've emigrated as older teenagers). I know the process is very straightforward if you have a current passport and it can all be done online these days, but is it really that much hassle if it's expired and you have all the relevant documentation?

Unless you have more than an inkling that you might return to the UK one day then it doesn't seem to make sense, although I appreciate that there will always be some who'll never quite be able to cut the umbilical cord with the old country. I was one for a while, but since my mum passed on I know there's no way I'd ever go back there to live.

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It won’t be long before you will need Uk passport or visa ( not possible if citizens ) just like Australia. 

You state this on nearly every post about UK passports, but is there any evidence of this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The procedure for renewing a UK passport is the same regardless of whether or not the passport has expired. The only occasions when it is different is when it is a first adult passport, or where your expired passport is so old that it was handwritten.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ken said:

The procedure for renewing a UK passport is the same regardless of whether or not the passport has expired. The only occasions when it is different is when it is a first adult passport, or where your expired passport is so old that it was handwritten.

Actually its 10 years after expiry, handwritten or not. If your UK passport expired 10 years ago, the process is the same as applying for a completely new one.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think for the rest of us we have another 3 or 4 yrs so plenty of time to decide. 
Just unfortunate that my middle daughters need renewing now and that we couldn’t wait 18months until hopefully we have citizenship.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

When the new ETA visa come into effect for all other countries later this year you either need a visa or a Uk passport to enter. As in Australia you can’t get a visa if you are a citizen. 

The ETA will cost £10 which is considerably less than renewing a British passport, although I can imagine there'll be some expats who'll renew their passports out of indignation.

9 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

The ETA will cost £10 which is considerably less than renewing a British passport, although I can imagine there'll be some expats who'll renew their passports out of indignation.

Not having a current passport does not mean you are not a citizen … in either Australia or the U.K.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

But you can't get a ETA if you're a citizen of that country.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

But you can't get a ETA if you're a citizen of that country.

Really?  A visa, I would completely agree.  But an electronic travel authorisation isn't a visa.

Not challenging.  Just surprised.

Probably their way of trying to get more stupid fees from other good souls who want to renounce British citizenship, I guess.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 10:02, InnerVoice said:

Hi @Lavers, nice to hear from you!

Personally, I'd say 'no' unless you think there might be a chance that you'll move back to the UK in the next 10 years. I recall you've got a young family of 3, so it's going to cost over $1,500 to renew all your UK passports (if we ignore the middle daughter who has to renew hers). Given that you're all going to become Australian citizens and should all have Australian passports within the next 2 years, it seems like a lot of money for some bits of paper stuck in a drawer that you're never going to use. Bear in mind when you renew a UK passport from overseas there's a hefty surcharge to pay.

image.png.46cb3c435a5a5b5964bd378c33e8761c.png

@InnerVoice where did you get this from? I just renewed my UK passport and it cost me around $220.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JMcKie said:

@InnerVoice where did you get this from? I just renewed my UK passport and it cost me around $220.

@JMcKie just realized I've dropped a massive clanger! That information was from the Australian High Commission UK website, so those were the costs for renewing Australian passports in the UK.

https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/passportfees.html

As you've pointed out, it's much cheaper to renew the UK passport so it seems a no-brainer given that (if British citizens can't get an ETA) you're going to need one anyway.

Apologies to everyone for the earlier misinformation, and thanks for pointing it out.