School lunch

Cheery Thistle

8 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Is this an Australian law, which goes against the universal law of common sense? Haha! 

Yes, I'm afraid it is.   It's always struck me as daft, because there are often cases where two cars reach the roundabout at the same time, and then it's a question of whose nerve holds.  The rule of "giving way to the right" makes a lot more sense.  

1 hour ago, Parley said:

The law is actually whoever arrives at the roundabout first has right of way.

I instinctively give way to the right, but that is not the law with roundabouts.

If you approach a 4-way intersection at the same time as a vehicle who is approaching from your right and they appear to be travelling straight ahead, give way to your right.

If you approach a 4-way intersection at the same time as a vehicle who is approaching from your left and right and both appear to be travelling straight ahead, give way to both.

The moron in the green ute just flew through the intersection without looking at all even though he was supposed give way.  There is a raised circle in the middle of the intersection with some trees in the middle of it.  Devonport has loads of those roundabout things.  It's not hard to understand what you are supposed to do.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

The law is actually whoever arrives at the roundabout first has right of way.

I instinctively give way to the right, but that is not the law with roundabouts.

Then I'd continue to trust your instincts rather than your knowledge of the law. It's kept you alive so far.

The law states that you must give way to any vehicle already on the roundabout before you enter, and as vehicles only ever approach from your right you're effectively giving way to traffic on the right.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Then I'd continue to trust your instincts rather than your knowledge of the law. It's kept you alive so far.

The law states that you must give way to any vehicle already on the roundabout before you enter, and as vehicles only ever approach from your right you're effectively giving way to traffic on the right.

Not true. Many roundabouts have 4 entrances.

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

Self evident.

I clearly remember seeing an elderly couple driving a Citroen 2CV with French number plates the wrong way around one of the biggest roundabouts in Birmingham. Everyone was honking their horns, flashing their lights, and waving their arms to forewarn them of their impending doom, but they just powered on through at about 5mph until they finally reached safety.

Apart from this extreme example I can't think of a scenario where you'd be concerned about traffic to your left, unless you entered the roundabout at such a ridiculous speed that you ran into someone already on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but when you approach the roundabout, usually the only car you need to worry about is the car approaching on your right. Chances are you can't even see the entrances on the other side of the roundabout

if there is a car on my left and i am going faster than it, i could hit it.

• Congratulations 1

12 hours ago, Toots said:

I don't think you get it.  He was supposed to stop.  Instead he sped through.  He is also one of the local morons who speed through lights when they turn red.  We all recognise him.  He drives a lime green ute.  One day he won't be so lucky.

Sorry pet, but you're going to have to draw me a picture.

On 17/10/2023 at 17:24, Marisawright said:

Yes, but when you approach the roundabout, usually the only car you need to worry about is the car approaching on your right. Chances are you can't even see the entrances on the other side of the roundabout

So you cant see the entrance on your left? 

If there is a car to your left which enters the roundabout before you you should give way to it.

Incidentally when I was taught to drive the law was the same in the UK - you had to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout. I don't know if that has changed.

1 hour ago, welljock said:

So you cant see the entrance on your left? 

If there is a car to your left which enters the roundabout before you you should give way to it.

That's odd.  This is the relevant section of the Highway Code:

Section 185
Section 185 explains what you should do when you reach the roundabout. Again it is important to be aware of the traffic around you and look out for road users who may be signalling incorrectly or in some cases not signalling at all!

When reaching a roundabout you should:

• Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
  • Check if the road markings allow you to proceed without giving way (always look right before joining just in case)
  • Watch out for other road users on the roundabout
  • Check the traffic has moved off in front of you before you proceed to enter the roundabout

Which means, of course, that the vehicle on my left should be giving priority to me.  That's why the "give way to the right" rule is so neat, because everyone on the left is giving way to their right all round the circle, and that's what creates the smooth flow.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Can’t believe this thread has degenerated into a ‘debate’ about how a roundabout works. In any country. Or maybe I can! 

I learnt a long time ago to  never leave a comment or get involved again after at the very most the 2nd page of posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ramot said:

I learnt a long time ago to  never leave a comment or get involved again after at the very most the 2nd page of posts.

Yes, I should never have mentioned the Devonport hoon in his lime green ute and his appalling driving. 😁  That'll teach me.  😑

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey... and there's sure to be a few roundabouts on the way!

Whenever I arrive at a three point mini roundabout and all the bases are full, I secretly hum the theme tune for "the good, the bad and the ugly". Mexican standoff.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes, I should never have mentioned the Devonport hoon in his lime green ute and his appalling driving. 😁  That'll teach me.  😑

Oh I have complete sympathy. We had one of those a few doors down until a few months ago. Damn thing rattled the house. Honestly just sounded like the engines were about to explode. 530am every weekday morning.

I was literally sat outside sipping champers when they got evicted. There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour or skulduggery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

Isn't there a magic roundabout in Swindon? I think if an Australian ever arrived there they would probably set up home, as I don't think they would ever get off.

Yep, five mini roundabouts arranged in a circle. All my mates from school learned to drive in Swindon, and the Magic Roundabout was an essential part of their lessons, though I never heard of anyone having an examiner who was sadistic enough to include it on the test!

I've met a couple of Aussies who have experienced it, nearly gave them nervous breakdowns 😄 😄