189 Granted

Cheery Thistle

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I always used to feel March could be as bad as February in Sydney.  Maybe it was psychological:  I'd be suffering through a sticky February, looking forward to March and then it wouldn't feel any better.  

I was the same when living in Sydney.  March average rainfall there is higher than January or February, so although it may technically be a degree  cooler,  the humidity could raise the apparent temperature.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Everything is a risk and security is an illusion. Sometimes staying put is a risk. Luckily my husband and I are comfortable with a certain level of risk. He has been self employed for 25 years and you kinda get used to uncertainty! 

Please don't get me wrong that wasn't any kind of negative judgement at all I'm always just surprised when people say they are taking the leap without ever having taken a holiday to the place. Flight/holiday prices to Oz are expensive for a family though. You're absolutely right and the UK isn't getting better only worse so more reason to stay when you get there. When I went for the first time over a decade ago I saw it as an extended holiday since I was planning on coming back but my mum thought there was a chance then I might not come back and I guess it could have been true.  Personally I was sold on the lifestyle of being a "grey nomad" retiree which you can't really do in the UK. To do that though I'd need years in to get citizenship and a decent pension so that's what I'll be aiming for. 

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Don’t worry, I’m on it regarding jobs. I’m actually starting to build up my own freelance clientele here so I’m hoping I might be able to continue that, alongside either teaching part time or maybe picking up an L and D contract. I’m very proactive and have already started building contacts in QLD on LinkedIn. I think if I really wanted I’d probably be able to secure a teaching job before I arrived, but I haven’t decided that’s definitely what I want to do. I’m actually sure I’ll be fine that way, just hoping hubby will be too. There are definitely more jobs Brisbane way and also slightly more affordable houses (and more choice) than in Sunshine Coast. 

You're so lucky to be getting work sorted well enough and not have to worry. I find interviews so horribly anxiety provoking and make a right mess of them that I might actually struggle to get a job. I'm currently going through the arduous task of registering with the nursing council so I can at least try to work in my profession even though I'm currently getting a bit burnt out on it over here. Honestly it feels even more complicated and time consuming than getting the visa. I've got my cgfns verification fairly quickly after only a few weeks so I can hopefully register with the nursing council of New Zealand in the next day or so when they invite me. Then that will take a few months for them to process, currently they are saying minimum 3 months wait. After that then I can register with the Australian nursing board under the trans tasman agreement and so avoid their whole "present in person" policy which would have been very inconvenient and expensive for me. Honestly it feels never ending still. Plus I've just been notified that the building I let a property out in needs a new roof so that will be a chunk out of my savings. Also got a dent in an NHS car I drive at work so waiting to find out if I have to pay the £500 excess for that, it was £100 under the old policy that ended a day before my accident. Honestly I still don't feel like I can settle and get the warm fuzzies of just having to choose where to live/work yet in Oz when I've got so much going on here. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

You're so lucky to be getting work sorted well enough and not have to worry. I find interviews so horribly anxiety provoking and make a right mess of them that I might actually struggle to get a job. I'm currently going through the arduous task of registering with the nursing council so I can at least try to work in my profession even though I'm currently getting a bit burnt out on it over here. Honestly it feels even more complicated and time consuming than getting the visa. I've got my cgfns verification fairly quickly after only a few weeks so I can hopefully register with the nursing council of New Zealand in the next day or so when they invite me. Then that will take a few months for them to process, currently they are saying minimum 3 months wait. After that then I can register with the Australian nursing board under the trans tasman agreement and so avoid their whole "present in person" policy which would have been very inconvenient and expensive for me. Honestly it feels never ending still. Plus I've just been notified that the building I let a property out in needs a new roof so that will be a chunk out of my savings. Also got a dent in an NHS car I drive at work so waiting to find out if I have to pay the £500 excess for that, it was £100 under the old policy that ended a day before my accident. Honestly I still don't feel like I can settle and get the warm fuzzies of just having to choose where to live/work yet in Oz when I've got so much going on here. 

Wow, breathe lol.

I am sure as a nurse you will have no problem securing a job. Are there not agencies that could maybe get you one before you go? 

I just kind of go with the flow a bit more. I seem to have a reputation on this forum for being outspoken (I just stand up for myself and suffer no fools). But actually in real life I’m known to be a very laid back person. I’ve been a landlord for 20 years here and have seen it all - have had to re-roof 2 properties over 100 years old, had a cannabis farm in one flat with the electricity tampered with, had to clear one out with like 60 black bin bags of rubbish and found a gun in it! Also had several groups of tenants turn properties into unofficial HMO’s and over-filling them. Being a landlord is not easy money lol. What you are describing (the car dent, the roof repair) just sounds like every day life. I try not to get too stressed about anything that’s not life or death - there’s not much that’s completely un-recoverable, right? I don’t tend to get too flustered because I have experienced so much and come out the other side, I have confidence in my abilities to deal with situations. 

I haven’t over-thought this whole process or I think we probably wouldn’t have done it. I’ve never had a problem getting a job here, I’m a proactive, persistent and tenacious person so I’m applying that logic to my new situation and thinking that I will be able to get a job. I haven’t gone hungry yet and I’m 43! There seems to be plenty of work. If I want to teach in state schools I’ll need to register with Queensland for teaching which i suppose I will try to do after our visit next year. 

3 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Wow, breathe lol.
I am sure as a nurse you will have no problem securing a job. Are there not agencies that could maybe get you one before you go? 
I just kind of go with the flow a bit more. I seem to have a reputation on this forum for being outspoken (I just stand up for myself and suffer no fools). But actually in real life I’m known to be a very laid back person. I’ve been a landlord for 20 years here and have seen it all - have had to re-roof 2 properties over 100 years old, had a cannabis farm in one flat with the electricity tampered with, had to clear one out with like 60 black bin bags of rubbish and found a gun in it! Also had several groups of tenants turn properties into unofficial HMO’s and over-filling them. Being a landlord is not easy money lol. What you are describing (the car dent, the roof repair) just sounds like every day life. I try not to get too stressed about anything that’s not life or death - there’s not much that’s completely un-recoverable, right? I don’t tend to get too flustered because I have experienced so much and come out the other side, I have confidence in my abilities to deal with situations. 

Generally I am a calm even headed what will be will be, make the best of things type of person. It's just the little things that are coming out of the woodwork unexpectedly that are adding up. I was more of a forced landlord since I couldn't sell, I definitely wasn't in it for the money seeing as I'm not getting a profit. It's all just money and considering I'm single with one income which is not super high it's more of a problem. I just want to be sure to move out there with as big a safety net as I can to cover all manner of things. I might be pushed towards Queensland after all, that $20,000 will certainly help cover my home costs for the year. I'd only have to stick it out for a year to get it before potentially just moving to a cooler climate state. I'm wary of agencies and would rather secure a job with the gov/state health dept, QLD/WA/SA health etc. Or I could get registered but then not bother working as a nurse and go back to working in isolated roadhouses like I did before in Oz. It is nice to have options I guess.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RubyMonday said:

Please don't get me wrong that wasn't any kind of negative judgement at all I'm always just surprised when people say they are taking the leap without ever having taken a holiday to the place. 

It’s a very fair and logical point to make.  If I might play devils advocate for a moment, has anyone ever visited Australia from the U.K. on a holiday and NOT been impressed?  You’re in holiday mode, you’re excited about a potential change, the sun is shining, you don’t have to fight Sydney traffic at 0700 etc etc. I don’t think any kind of trip is going to give a person a sense of living there. 

So is there really any value in such trips?  just a thought. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Generally I am a calm even headed what will be will be, make the best of things type of person. It's just the little things that are coming out of the woodwork unexpectedly that are adding up. I was more of a forced landlord since I couldn't sell, I definitely wasn't in it for the money seeing as I'm not getting a profit. It's all just money and considering I'm single with one income which is not super high it's more of a problem. I just want to be sure to move out there with as big a safety net as I can to cover all manner of things. I might be pushed towards Queensland after all, that $20,000 will certainly help cover my home costs for the year. I'd only have to stick it out for a year to get it before potentially just moving to a cooler climate state. I'm wary of agencies and would rather secure a job with the gov/state health dept, QLD/WA/SA health etc. Or I could get registered but then not bother working as a nurse and go back to working in isolated roadhouses like I did before in Oz. It is nice to have options I guess.     

Isolated roadhouses? You’re not selling this lol. Honestly, try not to project too much. Deal with one thing at a time, get over each hurdle as it comes. Most people seem to say that teaching and nursing out there is not as bad as the UK. Or maybe it’s that the better weather etc makes up for it? Anyway, I do get what you’re saying re: burnout, I was approaching that stage in teaching age 38, hence my exit. The nursing salary is much better in Aus as you know so that should help. I just suggested the agencies as it would take the pressure off the ‘must find a job’ situation and maybe lessen the interview stress - one less thing? 
If you need to vent then feel free to message me, happy to listen. Take care. 

8 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

It’s a very fair and logical point to make.  If I might play devils advocate for a moment, has anyone ever visited Australia from the U.K. on a holiday and NOT been impressed?  You’re in holiday mode, you’re excited about a potential change, the sun is shining, you don’t have to fight Sydney traffic at 0700 etc etc. I don’t think any kind of trip is going to give a person a sense of living there. 

Sonia’s is there really any value in such trips?  just a thought. 

I tend to agree re: holiday mode. We just feel if we are making such a massive move at our age we’d rather go in eyes open. If we get there and decide there’s too many beasties, mullets and bare feet for our liking, then we don’t have to move! Lol! Seriously though, it’s harder to reverse once we’ve shipped our belongings, rented our house out and shipped the dogs over. We actually know our lives won’t materially change that much - we’ll still be working, doing the washing, cooking, walking the dogs, paying the bills. We are just hoping it will have a positive impact on our daughter’s life and that the climate will enable us to be outdoors more. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Also this might give you a laugh. Apparently some folk do think Australia is sh*t! Even on holiday https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/emu-predators

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Also this might give you a laugh. Apparently some folk do think Australia is sh*t! Even on holiday https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/emu-predators

I'm amazed such people ever bothered to get on the plane - miserable buggers.

That said.........lol.........Bondi is overrated (it's nice but it is overrated, Coogee next door is better IMO) and the Opera House close up in the daytime is less impressive than at a distance or lit up at night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I'm amazed such people ever bothered to get on the plane - miserable buggers.

That said.........lol.........Bondi is overrated (it's nice but it is overrated, Coogee next door is better IMO) and the Opera House close up in the daytime is less impressive than at a distance or lit up at night.

We are staying at Coogee when we come. Accommodation is booked. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

It's certainly useful for more practical things like budgeting for everyday costs and availability of services/amenities and public transport etc. I was surprised last trip on going to the supermarket for a weekly food shop that it was more expensive than I had been estimating compared to the expected increase from the last time I was there and compared to the UK for the same items. It's also helpful to see the places in person you'd be looking for rentals in. Even when looking for places to live here in my own city some places I ruled out before even stepping inside just based on the vibe I was getting from the area, even though the house looked lovely itself. Still there's no way to know before living there if the every day life is going to suit. As has been said on previous threads it's no utopia but the UK will always be there to go back to. 

I feel like I'm giving the wrong impression. It's more that I'm a bit irritated at having to work a few extra shifts now to bump up my savings to cover these extra costs rather than in some kind of panic mode which I don't really get. I'm considering roadhouses not as an extreme worst case scenario if nursing doesn't work out but as an alternative since I actually genuinely enjoyed it previously. The nursing agencies mean I wouldn't be entitled to any relocation benefits that the state health depts are offering so I'd rather not go down that route. Also you wouldn't get as much support and would have to move around to different places whereas I'd rather settle and get used to working under a different system in one place.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

It's certainly useful for more practical things like budgeting for everyday costs and availability of services/amenities and public transport etc. I was surprised last trip on going to the supermarket for a weekly food shop that it was more expensive than I had been estimating compared to the expected increase from the last time I was there and compared to the UK for the same items. It's also helpful to see the places in person you'd be looking for rentals in. Even when looking for places to live here in my own city some places I ruled out before even stepping inside just based on the vibe I was getting from the area, even though the house looked lovely itself. Still there's no way to know before living there if the every day life is going to suit. As has been said on previous threads it's no utopia but the UK will always be there to go back to. 

I feel like I'm giving the wrong impression. It's more that I'm a bit irritated at having to work a few extra shifts now to bump up my savings to cover these extra costs rather than in some kind of panic mode which I don't really get. I'm considering roadhouses not as an extreme worst case scenario if nursing doesn't work out but as an alternative since I actually genuinely enjoyed it previously. The nursing agencies mean I wouldn't be entitled to any relocation benefits that the state health depts are offering so I'd rather not go down that route. Also you wouldn't get as much support and would have to move around to different places whereas I'd rather settle and get used to working under a different system in one place.  

You don’t sound like you’re panicking but you do sound a bit stressed oot. 
I don’t know the ins and outs of the nursing employment situation and I dislike isolation so the roadhouse idea gives me the pure fear lol. 
I worked in Italy for a few months in the hills outside of Pavia. It was an hours walk to nearest (tiny) village with no public transport and I had no car. That was enough for me and a massive lesson in where I do and do not thrive!! 
Really hope you get over those annoying bumps in the road soon and are able to enjoy the next phase in your adventure. 

3 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I worked in Italy for a few months in the hills outside of Pavia. It was an hours walk to nearest (tiny) village with no public transport and I had no car. That was enough for me and a massive lesson in where I do and do not thrive!! 

Sounds similar to my situation but I really liked it. No stress, no rat race just peacefulness, different strokes for different folks. Sunshine coast did seen like a happy medium with the coast on one side and hinterland on the other and a couple of hours to Brisbane for international trips, enough amenities but no city vibe. Maybe you'll find it a bit too slow though.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Totally, different strokes etc. Will see what we think when we get there. We are just so used to having everything on our doorstep that it will be an adjustment not to have that. Will definitely keep u posted. 

The best thing to do is look at the population of the cities/towns you're considering and compare them to towns/cities you know in Scotland.  They'll be much the same.  For instance, if you know Stirling (40,000 people) then a country town like Orange will have much the same level of shops  and amenities.  

• Like 1

Erm I think Stirling may have grown somewhat since you were last there! Actually just thinking about it and it kind of doesn’t work like that here any more. I live in a town of about 65, 000 people but we no longer have a local swimming pool or library, for example. There are also relatively few places to go out to eat and drink (with the exception of some chain outlets). The proximity to Glasgow and Edinburgh is the trade off for us not having that many amenities. It used to be better but there have been an awful lot of cuts and closures. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle

10 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Erm I think Stirling may have grown somewhat since you were last there! Actually just thinking about it and it kind of doesn’t work like that here any more. I live in a town of about 65, 000 people but we no longer have a local swimming pool or library, for example. There are also relatively few places to go out to eat and drink (with the exception of some chain outlets). The proximity to Glasgow and Edinburgh is the trade off for us not having that many amenities. It used to be better but there have been an awful lot of cuts and closures. 

I suppose you can do without a swimming pool but to close a library is a real shame.

• Like 1

I agree that knowing what you want in an area is good. That’s why we live in the Adelaide Hills.  Small but busy (touristy) town with 3000 residents.  I can walk to a supermarket, shops,cafes, primary schools, restaurants and pubs (hotels here) and into the countryside with vineyards and lovely scenery.  We built our own home (much more common here) to suit us. We have a large town 10 minutes drive of about 40,000 people and growing fast.  With a hospital several secondary schools, an outdoor pool library bigger shops etc plus more infrastructure being built like a big indoor pool.  Even tiny towns have a sports oval here. We have lots going on with festivals etc.

We are 30 minutes drive to Adelaide for theatre, gigs and everything else.  About 45 to a beach (plenty to choose from).

Yes it does get cold in winter here but not the grey damp freezing weather we had in the UK.

We do go on holiday to a warmer place in the depths of winter, but that is also for wedding anniversary and birthday too!

I do like the Sunshine Coast and we are considering retiring there because of the lovely weather (I don’t mind a bit of hot and steamy!) But to be as close to Brisbane as we are to Adelaide doesn’t give amazing options and it ain’t cheap!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I suppose you can do without a swimming pool but to close a library is a real shame.

I suppose it depends what your priorities are! To me, a library is a place to encourage children to read which is really important. I get that people don’t tend to read physical books so much any more, but the closure of libraries is a real missed opportunity. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

I can't imagine life without a swimming pool but I haven't been to a library in over a decade. I still read as much, but it's either online or on the Kindle.

I have never wanted a kindle.  I much prefer to read a "real" book.  Our library is used a LOT and would be sorely missed if it ever closed.  

I am a regular user of our local pool except for the summer when I swim in the sea.  Guess we are lucky we actually do have these facilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I agree that knowing what you want in an area is good. That’s why we live in the Adelaide Hills.  Small but busy (touristy) town with 3000 residents.  I can walk to a supermarket, shops,cafes, primary schools, restaurants and pubs (hotels here) and into the countryside with vineyards and lovely scenery.  We built our own home (much more common here) to suit us. We have a large town 10 minutes drive of about 40,000 people and growing fast.  With a hospital several secondary schools, an outdoor pool library bigger shops etc plus more infrastructure being built like a big indoor pool.  Even tiny towns have a sports oval here. We have lots going on with festivals etc.

We are 30 minutes drive to Adelaide for theatre, gigs and everything else.  About 45 to a beach (plenty to choose from).

Yes it does get cold in winter here but not the grey damp freezing weather we had in the UK.

We do go on holiday to a warmer place in the depths of winter, but that is also for wedding anniversary and birthday too!

I do like the Sunshine Coast and we are considering retiring there because of the lovely weather (I don’t mind a bit of hot and steamy!) But to be as close to Brisbane as we are to Adelaide doesn’t give amazing options and it ain’t cheap!  

We've just come home after visiting friends in Caloundra and Noosa.  We had a lovely time and the weather was just right.  They retired there from Sydney.  Next month we will be meeting up with them and other friends for a wedding in Sydney plus a big wedding anniversary.  Looking forward to big city life for a few days also catch up with elder son then it's back to my lovely quiet life here in Tassie. 

• Like 2