Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'teacher'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 208 results

  1. For anyone with experience of the AITSL teacher skills assessment: what evidence did you supply as evidence of observed teaching? It states on the guidance “Evidence of supervised teaching practice: an official, signed and dated document from the awarding university (required)”. We don’t have anything like this with my husbands certificates and although we’ve contacted the university asking them to give us something we’re worried with him qualifying 10 years ago that they won’t be able to supply anything?
  2. My wife and I are two teachers who started the AITSL process and TOEFL process back in September. My wife's AITSL has come through as passed (she's the main applicant as shes been teaching for 15 years) and has also completed the TOEFL English test. My AITSL wanted further info which I have now provided and I should hear from them in early April/late March. My question is we were thinking of applying on the 491 and really want to head to WA to teach, however I'm now hearing we cant do this now? Please can someone confirm and if true what other options do we have?
  3. Hey, ive just submitted my EOI for my 190 skilled visa. Does anyone know on average how long it takes for the government to review this? I’m a bit confused with the difference between the Expression of interest and the State nomination application and how these impact each other? Thanks in advance!
  4. I am about to apply for the PGCE course which will enable me to become a Primary School teacher here in UK. My wife and I have a timeline of 5 years before we plan on emigrating to Australia. I have looked for advice on whether this is a valid route in which to emigrate but I am getting mixed answers as Primary School Teacher has been removed from the main skills list. My fear is training up, becoming a teacher and then finding out that I still cannot emigrate, I guess I am just looking for reassurance that I am not wasting my time.
  5. Hello everyone Please can someone help me with my Skills Assessment applicaton to AITSL. I am a secondary teacher with 3 years experience, I completed my PGCE with a University alongside doing a SCITT with a teacher training organisation at the same time. It was a joint course where the university and the teacher training organisation worked together. I completed my PGCE which consisted of three modules each worth 20 credits and my supervised teaching practice (45 days plus) at a secondary school was completed through the SCITT. I am worried I will not be accepted by the AITSL as my 45 days + surpervised teaching practice was not completed wthin the PGCE but within the SCITT. After checking the AITLS website it says that they require a transcript from the University outlining my supervised teaching practice. I have this from the Teacher Training Organisation who ran my SCITT but not the University who provided the PGCE as they wont provide me with one. Has anyone had any experience of completing their skills assessment witihin the same circumstances or have any advice they can give me? Thanks
  6. Mathsteacher

    Maths teacher trying to emigrate

    Hi My partner and I are trying to emigrate, I will be the primary applicant on 75 points for 189 but we will go up to 80 when the new rules kick in as he is a British citizen. I have spoken to a couple of recruiters and schools and they are all very positive about the opportunities for maths teachers. Previously I was assured that getting a visa would be easy but from looking on this forum, it appears it won't be. I know that Victoria will sponsor maths teachers for 190 visas, does anyone have any experience of migrating with a 'shortage' subject? Is the subject you offer taken into account for the 189 visa? Many thanks in advance
  7. Hi, Just wondering if anybody had registered with QCT so they can get 190 visa for Queensland? We would like to have the option to go down the 190 route as well as the 189. if anybody has any info or experiences please share. thanks eddie
  8. At very early stages of getting all qualifications together for skills assessment with AITSL for teacher and partner electrician people who have been in a similar position how long was the process in total from skills assessment to the final piece of the jigsaw? Also costs would be handy many thanks
  9. Hi all, just wondered if there are any teachers currently applying for 189/190 visa at the moment? Would be great to hear from you! I'm a secondary teacher and my wife is a primary teacher and we are submitting our 189 application this month. Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  10. Hi all, I am new to the group. Looking at skilled visa options to emigrate to Australia and have the support of an agency. However, I have been working PT as a teacher for several years and am now moving towards a research field at a local university. Can anyone advise the strength of a visa application for a primary teacher who has been working PT or had a career break? My points score is good, I also have a masters in education. Husband is an engineering operations manager in a power station, earns a very good salary but does not have an engineering degree; worked his way up to position with experience and other qualifications relevant to post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  11. Hi I am new to this so please forgive me if this is wrong! I am wanting to move to Australia asap. I have just finished my Business and maths degree and want to become a teacher. However after working part time in a school I really don't want to teach mainstream and want to teach sen .. I have found this relatively new pgce... https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/find-a-course/pgce-pgce-post16-and-further-education-special-educational-needs Sen Pgce for further education. Does anyone know if this alone would qualify me as a Sen teacher in Australia? I will meet the 45 days needed as per below but don't know if a pgce with a sen specialism is enough . Many thanks L
  12. I'm looking for an experienced agent to speak with to help put together an application with the AITSL.
  13. I have a ProfGCE, which I got through doing the GTP training with a university. The AITSL says on their site the GTP is not accepted, which I thought is definitive however, I've noticed on another forum someone a couple of years ago with a ProfGCE got a positive skills assessment. I wonder if anyone else has managed this and what you had to provide? I have more than 3 years teaching experience and a bachelor's degree. Just not sure about when they say transcripts from ITE as the ProfGCE doesn't have transcripts. Any experience will be really great to hear!
  14. 31Hillbury

    EOI Submitted

    Hi All, We have finally managed to get our expression of interest submitted. Teacher with 75 points, until my skills assessment is complete, hopefully I can get some more points on if needs be. What are are people’s opinions on how many points are needed to get an invite? I know it will be tough until the new quota (July onwards), Hopefully 75 is enough to get an invite. Thanks Eddie
  15. harrietannabelle

    Secondary teacher help!?

    Hi, After doing my working holiday (1 year) a few years ago, I am desperate to go back permanently! Just have no idea where to start. I do have another year (farm work completed). Am I best going out and doing another year on a working holiday? Applying for a 190? Applying for a 189? I am 28 years old with a PGCE + BA, should be able to get the 20 points in the english test. My partner also wants to come on a de-facto visa - however, he hasn't used any working holiday visas yet (so that is always an option). Am I better off staying in my job longer to get more points etc??? Any help much appreciated! I have been looking on websites for months and I am not getting any clearer information.
  16. Hi Everyone, I currently live and work in Sydney on a temporary working visa. In addition to that, I am doing a 1 year Graduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood) from the University of Southern Queensland. The GradDip has 60 days professional supervised practice in it. I was wondering if anyone has done this course/similar course recently and was successful in getting AITSL skills assessment? In the recent years, a lot of Grad Dip programs have been closed down around Australia due to some changes in the teacher registration process so I am a bit worried that I won't be able to get positive outcome. And yeah, I also have a 3 year bachelors degree in business. I'll be glad for any help. Thank you!
  17. Tash82


    Hi all, I am at a bit of a crossroads so to speak. After putting my Aussie dream on hold for move to Essex i am very out of the loop. I have 2 plans. One to finish my 3 ACCA exams and become chartered or two, look into becoming a primary school teacher. I have a degree in accounting and have worked in accounts since 2007 so for me this would be the favoured option. I don't think either are now particularity in demand from what I've read, particularly accountant as there are huge pools coming in from Asia. My husband and 2 children were hoping to get a visa for WA - Perth ideally. With the points having increased i think we may struggle. Any advise would be greatly received as there seems to havebeen so many changes. Best. X
  18. From the research we have done we are looking at 189, 190 or 489 visas. My wife is currently an English secondary school teacher in the UK. She has a Masters Degree, her PGCE and is now working full time but doesnt have three years experience. She has 25 points due to age (36) Through online points calculator my wife has 40 points (age 25, education 15) and has booked up the IELTS course which we believe will provide another 20 (at least is should with a Masters in English...and it will if is has to be retaken!). I am now under the impression that 60 points is no longer enough for a 189 but if we opt for 190 or 489 we would gain the extra 5 points through state sponsorship. My wife has a sister who is a permanent resident living in central Perth so I dont know if that will give us another angle in. I run my own tiling installation company and have done so on a self employed basis for the last 6/7 years. My practical skills in these areas are minimal as I project manage so I am not sure if I qualify for skills assessment as a wall and floor tiler which I believe would get another 5 points. If the assessment is on paper i'll pass, if its practical I wont!! Our aim to is to get this through ASAP due to our ages (36 and 37) so we are not concerned which visa we get including if it means going regional. I would also be interested if there is a visa option I have missed and/or if there is a quicker way of getting across. Permanent residency is the end goal so any visa that we get initially would need to allow for this. I'm of the impression that using an agent would be beneficial in cutting down on time with regards submitting paperwork correctly, would you agree? Sorry if this is a bit long but some advice would be great!
  19. Hi, maths teacher currently in process of applying for 189. Completing application for AITSL assessment and they want a 'final transcript' from both my ITT provider and university provider. To my knowledge UK universities don't provide this. Did anybody apply and succeed without a final transcript?
  20. Hi, Can anyone help me to clarify how many points I should be able to get please? I’ve calculated it as: Age 40-44 = 15 points 5-7 years skilled employment = 10 points Will attempt to get superior English in IELTS! = 20 points Qualification for skilled occupation = 10 points Now here’s the bit that bothers me - can I also get 15 points for my BA from the UK as well as the 10 points for the qualification for skilled occupation? Or is it a case of one or the other? Because if I can’t have both, I’m not going to have enough points ? Also, are any additional points given for having a Masters? Thanks
  21. Hi, Does anyone have any experience of Early Years teaching in Adelaide? Could you start the registration process whilst still in the UK with just the mandatory notification training to complete on arrival. I know teaching in Adelaide is a competitive market but any tips would be appreciated. Quite prepared to do daycare ECT but school/ reception would be the goal. The main thing is gaining experience, meeting new friends and having some kind of income to get set up.
  22. Hi, EOI can anyone advise? Where you fill out the education section on the EOI, do I need to list my GCSEs, A levels and PGCE or just my BA Hons degree for which I will be claiming the points?
  23. CharlH

    3 Year teaching Degree??

    Hello all. I am a new user ... recommended by my Brother-in-law ... I have been researching moving to Australia to teach for a while but I am still rather confused as to the value of my Teaching Qualification. I have a 'BA Hons Early Years Education with Qualified Teacher Status' Degree - I am a fully qualified Early Years and Primary Teacher with QTS - My degree however was 3 years and from what I have gathered from research, to teach in Australia I will need a 4 year teaching degree. Please can someone clarify this for me? Don't want to get my hopes up if there is no chance! Thank you in advance for any advice given!
  24. Hi all, This is a very specific ask and I am not sure if I have put it in the right forum, but here goes. I have my 189 visa and I am moving to Perth. I am a teacher. To teach in WA I need to apply to the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA). I have done that from the UK. But. And this is the big but where I am drawing blanks- I need an Australian citizen to certify my documents who is registered to work in their profession in Aus from the list of occupations on this document: I live in the NE of the UK. If I go to the embassy in London they charge £41 per document!!! I need about 10 docs certifying! Which is unaffordable and unrealistic. I can’t wait until I am in Aus as there is a time limit, and I will not be there within the time limit. So I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone has contacts with an Australian citizen living in the UK who can certify some documents for me!! ??? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! Anyone been through this? What did you do? TIA ??
  25. The Education Sector, an area of Circumstantial Opportunity – Steven Anthony Hall Working in education can be extremely rewarding, both in terms of job satisfaction and pay. Teachers and other educators enjoy passing on their knowledge as experts in their field. One of the great benefits of being an educator is that no matter what your interests are, there is usually a job that you can fill passing on your knowledge and skills. However, whilst there are a vast number of opportunities, they are often restricted in some sense to certain subject areas and locations. I will focus on three particular types of jobs in education: tertiary teaching (university), tutoring (through companies and privately) and secondary teaching (high school). A tertiary educator may have a variety of names including professor, lecturer or subject tutor. My experience is as a subject tutor, and initially in my career I had been training with the intent of becoming a professor or lecturer. A subject tutor is often the closest teacher to the students, as they communicate with the students directly and solve problems. They ensure that students understand how to use subject material. The subject tutors and students usually communicate to each other back and forth. A lecturer or professor, on the other hand, communicates by speaking, only occasionally taking questions from an audience. Their role is much more passive. Job opportunities in tertiary education are somewhat of a mixed bag. Like many areas in the education sector, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) are in much higher demand than other subject areas. In my own career, I became employed as a subject tutor at a university before even completing my undergraduate studies – I was teaching fellow students although a student myself. Unsurprisingly, this subject area was mathematics. I also completed studies in creative arts, and it was clear that in this subject area jobs were much harder to come by. Although subject tutor jobs are well paid (approx.. $130 an hour for the first class of the week, approx.. $40 an hour thereafter at the university in which I am employed), the hours are short. I averaged only 4-6 hours a week, which whilst worthwhile, was not a reliable income source. These hours are also only offered during university semester (26 weeks a year). Teaching jobs as a professor or lecturer also face issues in that they are often offered on a temporary basis. Unless a professor or lecturer has established themselves as a great educator, they are often only employed on the basis of their research presence. The advantage of this is that these educators are often very in touch with current developments in their field. However, most lecturers and professors do not have any form of teaching qualification, which may impact their quality of teaching. They usually work very long hours, often completing research papers between other tasks. Quite often they will work five or six days a week, often checking emails and reading correspondence and papers in their spare time. The job does pay well, however, with some jobs being upwards of $130000 a year. There is also the issue in that to maintain employment, lecturers and professors often move to a new city (quite often NSW, due to the high number of universities) for jobs and also country to country. This can be very stressful on their home lives. Secondary educators are usually referred to simply as teachers, or high school teachers in Australia. These teachers can be employed on a number of different terms including part-time, full-time, casual (call-in) and contract. High school teachers require either a state-recognised four-year university teaching course (a bachelor degree) or a bachelor degree in a relevant subject area (such as English Literatures or Maths) plus a Master of Education (secondary) degree (two-year course). They must also obtain relevant checks and certifications, such as a working with children check and complete anaphylaxis awareness training. Different states may require different training, however in recent years there has been more of a push towards nationally recognised courses and a national curriculum. Some schools, such as religious schools, Montessori method schools or private schools may have additional criteria. High school teachers have an advantage in the job market, particularly amongst jobs requiring a university education, since they are needed in all Australian states in both city and remote areas. Thus, it is possible to obtain employment in almost any area. There are far more jobs available in remote areas than city areas due to lower population density in those areas. It is a little easier to obtain a permanent position in those areas than in a city. Teachers in city areas often begin their careers in casual teaching, where they cover classes for teachers on leave. These jobs are often advertised online, and applications can often be made directly to schools. Like other education jobs, teachers in STEM areas are in much higher demand than others. It is rare for a teacher qualified in an area such as music to obtain a permanent position immediately after university. Teachers of subjects in less of a demand often work on a causal basis, sometimes even teaching areas outside of their expertise. Quite a few teachers I have known are qualified to teach health and physical education, yet they often teach science classes casually. It is possible for a teacher to retrain in other subject areas after they have already qualified as a teacher, however this often requires further education. Mathematics is in extremely high demand at the moment, with many teachers finding positions immediately. English plus another subject area (such as history or drama) is also a classic combination that often helps teachers secure employment. High school teachers have a salary starting at around $65000 and can reach $90000 after several years of work. Their hours are the same as school hours (plus some additional meetings), however, teachers often spend an exorbitant amount of time planning lessons, marking and designing units. The amount of work teachers do is often overlooked by parents and people in the community. In addition, there has been more pressure on teachers in recent years to ensure the success of their students from parents. Parents have been working longer hours in recent years, with both parents working. This has put pressure on families as well teachers. Tutors are usually employed as assistants for individual students. During my own training, I worked as a tutor for university students as well as high school students, both on a private basis and through a tutoring centre. These jobs are easy to obtain and there are always students one can advertise for private tutoring, using methods such as flyers or Facebook. However, in my experience, mathematics is one of the only subjects it is easy to find students for tutoring. Chemistry and English tutors are also occasionally needed, but not to the extent of mathematics. This is consistent within all areas of Australia, although it is easier to find students to tutor in city areas. A private tutor usually benefits from having university education in their field, although rarely, some tutors find work having only finished high school with good grades. A formal teaching qualification is not essential but beneficial. Regardless, if a private tutor is working with students below 18 years of age, they should obtain relevant checks such as a working with children check. It is best to advertise for students individually or directly contact a tutoring centre for job availabilities. Tutoring centres often churn through tutors quite quickly. It is very rare to obtain permanent employment as a tutor. Working as a tutor is extremely satisfying. Because you often work with students one-one-one, you see their progress directly. Working with students privately is the best way to achieve this, as their parents also have direct contact and are quite pleased when they see their child doing well. At a tutoring centre, you may tutor multiple students at once. The satisfaction is quite similar. In terms of pay, it is usually better to tutor students privately, and rates can be adjusted to your own qualifications and experience. As an undergraduate, I charged $25 an hour, however, as my training and experience increased, I also increased my rate to $40 an hour. At tutoring centres, you often only receive a maximum of ten hours a week and the pay is poor, ranging from $18 to $25 an hour. There is also pressure for students to improve drastically, since parents often pay up to $60 an hour for tutoring. Teaching is a rewarding career, however, circumstances such as subject area or location often restrict job opportunities. Regardless, most teachers will be able to find work, eventually. The pay is relatively good for the work, however during their first years of teaching, many teachers will often find the pay insufficient for the work that is put in, especially as a high school teacher. To be a teacher, you must have a passion as an educator – it is not a job to simply do for convenience.