189 Granted

Cheery Thistle

2 hours ago, Toots said:

We've just come home after visiting friends in Caloundra and Noosa.  We had a lovely time and the weather was just right.  They retired there from Sydney.  Next month we will be meeting up with them and other friends for a wedding in Sydney plus a big wedding anniversary.  Looking forward to big city life for a few days also catch up with elder son then it's back to my lovely quiet life here in Tassie. 

You should have popped in,     good to hear you enjoyed your visit, and  that the Sunshine Coast weather was so  lovely, while you were here, it’s a beautiful time of year to visit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Also this might give you a laugh. Apparently some folk do think Australia is sh*t! Even on holiday https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/emu-predators

Love the bright spark who was peeved that the top of a 4,000+ ft.  mountain might be a bit chilly...and thought the "parks department" should do something about the "fog" - otherwise known as low cloud.  😂

• Haha 4

On 11/10/2023 at 18:35, Cheery Thistle said:

So I was going to tag this on to the end of another thread, but really felt it deserved to be a stand alone. 
Got the call from Jenny at Down Under Centre this morning that our 189 has been granted. 
Timeline as follows: 

Secondary Teacher, 65 points 

First contact DUC - 6/3/2023

PTE Academic Passed Superior 2/5/2023 

Skills Assessment Successful - 19/5/2023

EOI submitted 189 (and 190 for SA and NSW) - 22/5/2023

Invited to apply 189 - 25/5/2023

Medicals passed and submitted - 28/6/2023

Visa Lodged - 29/6/2023

Acro received and submitted - 9/8/2023

Visa granted - 11th Oct 2023

We fly out on 24th Feb 2024 for 3 weeks for a look around and plan to move with our 10 year old (will then be 11) and 2 dogs in October 2024. 

Really happy for you, where abouts are you planning to head in OZ, with a 189 the continent is your oyster

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a great fan of either although I can see why many love them. The weather is a bit too "guaranteed hot".

I'm a Sydney/Melbourne cheerleader they just have so much more culture and heritage, but I can see Brisbane is making huge leaps and bounds in catching up. 

That said I'd take Brisbane over some of the dreary places I used to reside in the UK any day.

Have you totally ruled out NSW and VIC as options for settling down? If not you should definitely give them a look before you say no!

• Like 2

Vic is out. I don’t want to see another winter. 41 Scottish ones has done it for me, I hate it sooooo much! 
We fly into Sydney and staying there for 6 nights (that’s where hubby’s cousins are), then driving up to Brisbane with a couple of overnight stop offs so never say never. We are not really big city people (could never ever live in London for example, no way no chance lol) so I don’t think Sydney would be for us really. Plus property is too pricey. We can afford a nice house in Brisbane and there are decent job opportunities. If I don’t want to return to teaching then my best work opportunities are in or near a major city.  I’d be trying to get a hybrid working arrangement. I will let you know what we think when we are back. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Vic is out. I don’t want to see another winter. 41 Scottish ones has done it for me, I hate it sooooo much! 
We fly into Sydney and staying there for 6 nights (that’s where hubby’s cousins are), then driving up to Brisbane with a couple of overnight stop offs so never say never. We are not really big city people (could never ever live in London for example, no way no chance lol) so I don’t think Sydney would be for us really. Plus property is too pricey. We can afford a nice house in Brisbane and there are decent job opportunities. If I don’t want to return to teaching then my best work opportunities are in or near a major city.  I’d be trying to get a hybrid working arrangement. I will let you know what we think when we are back. 

Plenty of things to do and enjoy in Brisbane. Most of the top shows are on at QPAC,   visiting international  art exhibitions, Monet in Paris, the French Impressionist live was here recently. We have the  Queensland Ballet with the amazing Li Cunxin as Artistic Director. We saw Strictly Gershwin last week, 40 piece Queensland Orchestra on stage plus 60 dancers, a spectacular tribute to George and Ira Gershwin,  it was wonderful. I’m going to see Il Divo perform next month. Brisbane isn’t quite the backwater small town that some people might think, shouldn’t judge a place if you don’t live there.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ramot said:

Plenty of things to do and enjoy in Brisbane. Most of the top shows are on at QPAC,   visiting international  art exhibitions, Monet in Paris, the French Impressionist live was here recently. We have the  Queensland Ballet with the amazing Li Cunxin as Artistic Director. We saw Strictly Gershwin last week, 40 piece Queensland Orchestra on stage plus 60 dancers, a spectacular tribute to George and Ira Gershwin,  it was wonderful. I’m going to see Il Divo perform next month. Brisbane isn’t quite the backwater small town that some people might think, shouldn’t judge a place if you don’t live there.

Worth remembering that Brisbane is 4 times the size of Edinburgh.  Also unlike Perth, it's within reasonable travelling distance of Sydney and Melbourne, so lots of international tours will include Brissie where Perth often misses out due to the logistics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Worth remembering that Brisbane is 4 times the size of Edinburgh.  Also unlike Perth, it's within reasonable travelling distance of Sydney and Melbourne, so lots of international tours will include Brissie where Perth often misses out due to the logistics.  

I was just sticking up for Brisbane, that it does have some culture,  my post had absolutely nothing to do with Perth, let alone Edinburgh? 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

The jury is out on hybrid and total WFH at the moment, it's certainly still common but if I look now at offices in Jan this year to Oct, they are getting close to older occupancy.

Lots of companies have responded to surveys saying they expect hybrid and WFH permanently to be a thing of the past by 2026.

Of course that might just be what the newspaper owners want us to read...

• Like 2

Just now, Ausvisitor said:

The jury is out on hybrid and total WFH at the moment, it's certainly still common but if I look now at offices in Jan this year to Oct, they are getting close to older occupancy.

Lots of companies have responded to surveys saying they expect hybrid and WFH permanently to be a thing of the past by 2026.

Of course that might just be what the newspaper owners want us to read...

There seem to still be quite a lot in my field advertising hybrid in Brisbane.  Not many fully remote but not sure I want that anyway as I don’t know anyone! Will have to wait and see I suppose. In the UK there are a lot of self employed or contract roles in my field which are completely home based/remote. I create training and online learning packages so it’s not something you generally have to be on site for.